• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nanowrimo 2011

#81 User is offline   ShanRawr 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

6300 total at the moment. Almost 3k tonight. I really like starting on the weekends better. Tuesday was just an awkward start.

#82 User is offline   MillionSpots 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

6300 words now, and already I've done a couple of revisions to my plot. Had trouble with description but some word vomit helped.
Must. Write. More.

#83 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'm only at 3800 words so far but in my defense, my mum is in the hospital atm so my focus has been elsewhere. :) Plus I'm too wiped out at night to write, so...methinks I will not make the 50k.
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#84 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Can't stop myself from over editing while I write. Makes this slow going, I'm behind already.

#85 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Eh, I ended up having an editing session last night instead of writing more. Inner editor finally won a battle. XD Still, it made me feel a bit guilty when I switched to watching shows on my PC, even though work went double overtime and I only finished at midnight. >.<

Still, today I plan on catching up with my running personal goal rate of writing-inspired aim. Double or nothing, folks, I'll hit 20k words today or you can all laugh at me! :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#86 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

What's annoying is that in my writing, it's so easy to see each segment of 1667 words. I'm basically writing every scene in that size, and I don't know why. Well, I do know why, but I don't know how not to.

#87 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Turn off your inner editor. Change your font-size, change the layout, change something so the word-quota isn't so evident. I have to do the same thing, as it's so tempting to write until you reach the quota and then feel like that's permission to stop.

The whole point of NaNo is to write, not to edit. Editing can happen in December :)
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#88 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

I guess it depends on how you create - writing as you go, I can easily see how that would be a serious issue, if you're having to push yourself to reach the 1667. I guess I'm working from the opposite direction (like a couple of others on here) and writing scenes...just trying to get enough scenes down/describe them in enough detail to meet the 1667. That usually involves going over the 1667, though, as they don't seem to come out in chunks of that size.

UoW's advice is pretty sound, though. Not to throw a spanner in your works, but you could also try doing mini-plans of what you want to write before you actually start typing, and then expand it out later...but I'm not sure that would even work.

Mind you, nothing wrong with writing in 1667-word chunks, I guess? You can always sort that out in Editing Month. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#89 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

i say just write the way that comes most naturally. if that means your scenes all turn out to be 1667 words, you can tell everyone that that was your plan from the start, and it's totally deep meta-symbolism referring to nanowrimo itself.

but if you want to change that, UoW's idea is a good one. honestly, i'm wondering how small your font is, and what zoom you're at to fit 1667 words onto a screen with any room to spare.

edit: personally, i don't think about the # of words so much as i think about whether the scene has hit all the points it needs to in order to convey what i want it to. once that's done, i look at how many words i've got, and decide whether or not to go on, or if i have to go on.

btw, up to 11015 today :)

This post has been edited by Minhasing Bheget: 05 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#90 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

I'm currently at 8255. Less than I wanted to achieve today. Still ahead of the game (not by much) but still here's hoping it keeps rolling.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#91 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 04 November 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

The whole point of NaNo is to write, not to edit. Editing can happen in December :)

Deceditor?

Anyhow, caught some virus on tuesday and it wreaked havoc with anything I might have gotten done. So, with only a few hundred words on a page, 90% of it outline, I've given up.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#92 User is offline   wade 

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

View PostTapper, on 05 November 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

The whole point of NaNo is to write, not to edit. Editing can happen in December :p

Deceditor?

Anyhow, caught some virus on tuesday and it wreaked havoc with anything I might have gotten done. So, with only a few hundred words on a page, 90% of it outline, I've given up.

Aw no :) Hope you feel better soon

#93 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

Deceditor?

How can you give up after that gem?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#94 User is offline   MillionSpots 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

Shit, someone from another online forum I post in has reached the 50k-mark today.
Dear god.

I'm at 13400 now and having loads of trouble with my pacing. At the rate I'm going I'll probably finish the story under 50k words. :) Not good, not good.

#95 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

View PostMillionSpots, on 06 November 2011 - 01:45 AM, said:

Shit, someone from another online forum I post in has reached the 50k-mark today.
Dear god.

holy bejesus! does this person have no job?? no school? that's madness! are their eyes bleeding from staring at a computer screen for ten-hour periods??

what i'm trying to say is

Posted Image
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#96 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

As someone who has only just recovered from making his glorious 20k word mark in the wee hours of last night...yes, yes, I made it - HOLY CRAP. O.o

Shinrei said:

#97 User is offline   wade 

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Hm, surprisingly, with all these high word counts here, I'm still proud of my reaching 9k yesterday :)

#98 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

Most certainly you should be! NaNo isn't about how much you can beat the 50k by - it's all about being encouraged to put pen to paper, and as long as you make the 50k (which you're on target to do), it doesn't matter if someone else does a double NaNo or even reaches a million words. :)

Shinrei said:

#99 User is offline   wade 

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

View PostSilencer, on 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

Most certainly you should be! NaNo isn't about how much you can beat the 50k by - it's all about being encouraged to put pen to paper, and as long as you make the 50k (which you're on target to do), it doesn't matter if someone else does a double NaNo or even reaches a million words. :)

Or carpal-tunneled wrists to keyboard :p

I'm just surprised at how on-schedule I've been so far. I've written at least the required 1667 words each day, sometimes more. I kinda took part on a whim, but never expected myself to actually be able to complete it, and I think I just might, which will be awesome considering this is my first time. But ya, quite a confidence boost and a huge learning experience this NaNoWriMo thing is so far. It's amazing.

#100 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 05 November 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

Deceditor?

How can you give up after that gem?

Well, yeah, you have a point. Got an amazing flash of inspiration today. Military fiction meets A Confederacy of Dunces. Too bad I had visitors that had me prep dinner all day plus entertaining in the evening to put pen to paper....
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users