Malazan Empire: Release Date, Synopsis and mad crazy speculation! - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Release Date, Synopsis and mad crazy speculation!

#41 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostKanubis, on 21 September 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

Abyss, whether or not it is Kiska, the mention of the QoD suggests to me that Kiska and Leoman will feature anyway.

Totally.

Well, as long as we GET TO SEE KARSA AND TORVALD IN THE SAME SCENE Posted Image

The synop doesn't mention Karsa... don't get your hopes up too high...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#42 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

That is a synopsis.

Red is clearly a good mystery with it being possibly Spindle or that other age from TTH that ws a BB. I assume we all think its a BB based on the goodbye to certain friends line. Fiddler? Plausible given the end of TCG but you never know.

The ex claw line is a new one. Kiska and kalam are the only 'ex claws' we know of as your not allowed to leave. Kiska is ofc on the shores of creation (definitely not simply another place by lightfall im glad weve had that confirmed)but the he line throws me to Kalam. yet there is no link between kalam and the QOD.

While this full 'OMG SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SEGULEH' synopsis pleases me immensely as does the inclusion of Kruppe I really hope the 'he' bit on the Shores of creation isnt a misprint, which it may well be.

#43 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

View PostOrb Sceptre Boat, on 21 September 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

...I really hope the 'he' bit on the Shores of creation isnt a misprint, which it may well be.

Kiska had Claw training so it's not really a stretch.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#44 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

Synopsis: awesome.
Anticipation: rising.
October birthday money: good as spent.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 21 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#45 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Well, Possum was part of the first two books and he appeared to leave everything behind at the end of ROTCG so he could convicably be refered to as an ex-Claw.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#46 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

View PostOrb Sceptre Boat, on 21 September 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

...I really hope the 'he' bit on the Shores of creation isnt a misprint, which it may well be.

Kiska had Claw training so it's not really a stretch.

Do you mean you think its a misprint because Kiska had claw training? Im fully aware Kiska was trained by the claw so maybe the he should be a she.

View PostUrizen, on 21 September 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

Well, Possum was part of the first two books and he appeared to leave everything behind at the end of ROTCG so he could convicably be refered to as an ex-Claw.

True but for him to turn up on the Shores of creation is a bit thin. Topper could conceivably have turned up if hed remained 'mad' in the IW.

#47 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

I like the Possum idea. I also wonder about the difference between Throne of Night vs. Dark. It definitely has a big old Draconus connotation. Long shot, but does anyone remember if that Rat King guy from TTH was red-headed? Also, don't forget Antsy (I don't believe Spindle is red-haired). Anyway, can't wait for this one.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#48 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

wow, great synopsis. monkrat is the name of the BB that spindle meets in TtH, though i don't recall if he has red hair.

very excited that the seguleh are turning their faces toward the world, and can't wait to see what comes of that. i mean, if the seguleh come in force to genebackis, i don't think there is anyone left that would stand a chance. unless of course karsa brings his people out of laederon. though i doubt that karsa will make a significant appearance in this book.

glad that kruppe is confirmed, though i never really doubted he would be around for this book.

as for the ex-claw, what exactly did topper do at the end of RotCG? he watches cowl give himself to the deadhouse, and that's it, iirc. so i think that this could refer to him. or possum. or kiska. it would help if there was more than one gender identifying noun in the synopsis. but for now i'm leaning more toward topper. he's a half andii, isn't he? he might know how to get to the shores of creation.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#49 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

I hope everyone is in it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#50 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

omg omg omg! Kruppe... Seguleh... remaining Bridgeburners... NERDGASM!!!
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#51 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

A Malazan veteran calling himself 'Red' ventures out to try his luck -- and perhaps say goodbye to old friends.

Fid never did get to see the Bridgeburner's tomb in Moon's Spawn did he? Although I guess he said goodbye to WJ and Mallet in TCG.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#52 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Oh my...

Oh my...

My oh my.

#53 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Can't really see it being Fiddler. He feels like too much of an SE character - if I had to pick a "main" character of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, it'd be him (yes, I know that's missing the point). And we know he survives fairly unchanged, given the epilogue of TCG, so there'd be little dramatic tension there. Anyone of the old guard kicking about that might be good candidates?

#54 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

View Postworrywort, on 21 September 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

I like the Possum idea. I also wonder about the difference between Throne of Night vs. Dark. It definitely has a big old Draconus connotation. Long shot, but does anyone remember if that Rat King guy from TTH was red-headed? Also, don't forget Antsy (I don't believe Spindle is red-haired). Anyway, can't wait for this one.

From memory Spindle is bald (the hairshirt is grey), and I don't think Monkrat's hair is ever described.

Of the surviving Brudgeburners in Darujhistan (I think only Picker, Blend and Antsy are left?) only Antsy is red-haired.

Of course, this all rests on the assumption that 'Red' actually refers to their hair, which I think there's a good chance it doesn't.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#55 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Crazy idea - it doesn't specify that it's a Bridgeburner. So how about Traveller? No other mention of what he's up to, utterly lacking a purpose, and would have known WJ from the old campaigns. Not averse to changing his name either.

Possibly Duiker as well for that matter.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#56 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Anyone reckon there's a chance we might finally get a map of southern Genabackis (it'd help show where the Rivan sea is for one thing)?
I am the Onyx Wizards

#57 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

View PostD, on 22 September 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Anyone reckon there's a chance we might finally get a map of southern Genabackis (it'd help show where the Rivan sea is for one thing)?

I reckon we will with the inclusion of the Seguleh. Theres also a comment at the beginning of SW when Suth is listening in on Len and other soldiers discussing a destination and one of them mentions Elingarth to which len (or the other veteran) replies that there not suicidal. This from a man who believed that Seguleh Isle was conquerable because they were warriors not soldiers. Ever since then Elingarth seems a bit of a mystery so I hope we see something.

#58 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Will have to read the synopsis a rew more times to try and get an idea of who "RED" might be, but I think ye are on the right track when it comes to the identity of the ex-Claw being POSSUM. ICE has included him in at least 2 of his books, possibly all 3 (haven't done re-reads of RotCG or SW yet). I like the idea of this, as it would probably mean he's going to bump into TEMPER again (since that has happened in those previous books) and TEMPER is one of my favourite characters in the whole series. Was Possum directly referenced in GotM? I know he was specifically mentioned in Night of Knives, and seems to have been loyal to Lasseen for a very long time, which now gives him the ideal excuse to become an ex-claw and go a-wandering.

If i were to go the completely crazy theory route, I'd suggest yet another resurrection for our favourite ex-claw/eventual bridgeburner, TOC the Younger. Hey, if we're talking about the Edge of Creation, then there's probably an easy way to incorporate another body into the story for him :p
Plus, it does mention a mission and we know how people loved to give TOC various missions. why should the Queen of Dreams be any different Crazy theory over.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#59 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I know "Red" is a common nickname for someone with red hair, but it doesn't say anything about the person's hair in the synopsis, so I don't think we need to limit our guesses to former BB's that are gingers. I think its more likely the person is calling themselves Red out of sort of an inside joke, since the Malazan troops wear red tunics I believe, and he's headed into a non Empire controlled area.

Really means it could be anyone, but I would love it if the person that mentioned it being Dassem Ultor was right. Finally going to pay his last respects to his friend Whiskeyjack...tho the treasure hunting bit seems quite out of character for him.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#60 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

I really hope "Red" turns out to be someone entirely new, because the "character you know but don't recognize because they've assumed a new name" thing has kind of been done to death in this series, and in Esslemont's books in particular it feels woefully contrived. (Artan=Tays, Jheval=Leoman, Warran=ST, etc...)

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 22 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users