Malazan Empire: Release Date, Synopsis and mad crazy speculation! - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Release Date, Synopsis and mad crazy speculation!

#21 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

View Postworrywort, on 23 July 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

So would you guys consider this a direct sequel to TTH? It seems like it, more than any other work ICE has done (or apparently will do, given his continent hopping agenda). In that way it's kinda the highest stakes book he's gonna do, or at least tied with Assail, but different reasons.

Should be a direct sequel. In TCG theres hints of large scale activities in Dstan. We may have the usual 'its been 6 months or so since...' moment but other than that the should be roughly similar.

MTS- Weve had this conversation before when the first half of the synopsis had come out. Im sure ICE will make it so its not a cliche. But that doesnt mean out of all the synopsis ive read of all the Malaz books,this one ive judged to be the worst.

#22 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I cannot wait for this book since it will be our only Malazan fix this year!

Didn't SE say somewhere that this book is almost like an Epilogue for his series wrapping up further loose ends...

And for people to slate the book from the synopsis? Bloody hell give the book a chance...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#23 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

He did mention this would tie up loose threads but I imagine these are loose threads from TTH that werent dealt with by DOD and TCG.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

View Postchamp, on 25 July 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

Haha short memory? We've had two books already, there's already a surplus of Malazan!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   champ 

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

View Postworrywort, on 25 July 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 25 July 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

Haha short memory? We've had two books already, there's already a surplus of Malazan!

Each book seems an eternity apart for me...

And honestly... can there ever be a surplus of Malazan?

Tehol said:

#26 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Indeed!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:21 AM

Worst case scenario: We find out that the secret to beating the new Jaghut Tyrant is some andiian throne that can resurrect Anomander Rake.

This post has been edited by Migol: 26 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

#28 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Torvald Nom outweighs any hamfisted piece of plot ICE could possibly come up with. Thus this book will be awesome, unless ICE goes over the top with the whole devil's threesome implication in TTH. Then it could get weird...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#29 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

I seem to have been very negative about this so far but these are some of the best and my favorite characters from the series. I am really looking forward to this and cant wait for it which is one of the reasons the synopsis has bothered me. If he gives us another ROTCG Michael Bay style book ill love it.

#30 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

View Posttiam, on 27 July 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

I seem to have been very negative about this so far but these are some of the best and my favorite characters from the series. I am really looking forward to this and cant wait for it which is one of the reasons the synopsis has bothered me. If he gives us another ROTCG Michael Bay style book ill love it.

I just wanted to say I agree entirely with the point you've been making in this post.

The synopsis sounds terrible, simplistic, cliched, and at-odds with either facts or strong impressions we got from earlier books.

I'm going to order this book before it comes out, read it in a couple of days, and expect great things from it.

Just because someone says the synopsis makes the book sound bad doesn't mean the book is going to be bad, or even that you are commenting on it. The Bonehunters had one of the stupidest covers I've ever seen. The choice of scene for the cover art was questionable, if not moronic, and I didn't think the art was that good either. The book however was very good. Simplifying what I am sure is approximately a 1000 page book into a couple paragraphs is bound to be difficult. Especially if the person that wrote it wasn't the person that wrote the book, and possibly isn't acquainted with the 11,000+ other pages that have come before it in the series.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#31 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Ill also have this ordered before it comes out. Do we have a solid date yet? I mean from Hetan or someone rather than Amazon

#32 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

December 8th was the last date from a credible source I remember reading.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#33 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

I was hoping for a surprise 30th of July release date ;)

#34 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

View Posttiam, on 28 July 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Ill also have this ordered before it comes out. Do we have a solid date yet? I mean from Hetan or someone rather than Amazon

Look at the OP. According to the publisher, the release date is December 8th. I suppose it could still be delayed or tweaked a bit, but direct from the publisher is the best we can do right now.

#35 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Right ive been reading MOI and remembered that we do see a throne.

MOI MMPB 1163-65. Relevant passages though worth looking over if you have the book to hand.

'Ware the looter who penetrates this place'
'Wards?'
'That and alot more'

They reached the dias.
and could go no further. Sorcery commanded the entire platform, a softly coruscating web of KG

'Rakes own hand' the wizard murmured. 'These... spells. He worked alone'

'They left everything you know'
'Who?'
'Rake. The Tiste Andii. Left their possessions. Everything.'

Also on the throne

p1163- The huge high backed chair that had once commanded the dias had been pushed to one side, two of its legs on a lower step, the throne leaning. On the centre of the dias three black-wood sarcophagi now resided'

From this I think we can say there might be some sort of powerful artifact that was left behind that Rake and the Andii expected to be under the ocean but it hasnt panned out that way. It seems oddly careless of Rake to leave an artefact of power behind to sail over the ocean for around a month. However even this is answered. It seems the ellipsis between QB saying These and spells might suggest some sort of ritual. Rake in his desire to honour WJ might have pushd aside the throne to give him the dias. He then wove a ritual of potency around them and the throne believing this would be enough. This coupled with QB comment of there being alot more than wards suggests a source of power.

See im trying to get into the spirit of things rather than slating the book before it comes out :) .

This post has been edited by Arsewipe McBogroll the Third: 21 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

#36 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

Probably left it for Draconus to look for/after... Bit of symmetry between those two as well as Osric.
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#37 User is offline   champ 

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Updated Synopsis from Amazon

The epic new chapter in the history of Malaz -- the new epic fantasy from Steven Erikson's friend and co-creator of this extraordinary and exciting imagined world.

Darujhistan, city of dreams, city of blue flames, is peaceful at last; its citizens free to return to politicking, bickering, trading and, above all, enjoying the good things in life. Yet there are those who will not allow the past to remain buried. A scholar digging in the plains stumbles across an ancient sealed vault. The merchant Humble Measure schemes to drive out the remaining Malazan invaders. And the surviving agents of a long-lost power are stirring, for they sense change and so, opportunity. While, as ever at the centre of everything, a thief in a red waistcoat and of rotund proportions walks the streets, juggling in one hand custard pastries, and in the other the fate of the city itself.

Far to the south, fragments of the titanic Moon's Spawn have crashed into the Rivan Sea creating a series of isles... and a fortune hunter's dream. A Malazan veteran calling himself 'Red' ventures out to try his luck -- and perhaps say goodbye to old friends. But there he finds far more than he'd bargained for as the rush to claim the Spawn's treasures descends into a mad scramble of chaos and bloodshed. For powers from across the world have gathered here, searching for the legendary Throne of Night. The impact of these events are far reaching, it seems. On an unremarkable island off the coast of Genabackis, a people who had turned their backs upon all such strivings now lift their masked faces towards the mainland and recall the ancient prophesy of a return.

And what about the ex-Claw of the Malazan Empire who now walks the uttermost edge of creation? His mission -- the success or failure of which the Queen of Dreams saw long ago -- is destined to shape far more than anyone could have ever imagined.

Now that sounds like a novel!

Tehol said:

#38 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

I agree, thats sounds much more like it...There's lot's to speculate on here!!

who's Red do we think?

After reading this I wonder who the hell wrote the first one we saw a few months back!!!

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

... While, as ever at the centre of everything, a thief in a red waistcoat and of rotund proportions walks the streets, juggling in one hand custard pastries, and in the other the fate of the city itself.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have KRUPPE!

Far to the south, fragments of the titanic Moon's Spawn have crashed into the Rivan Sea creating a series of isles... and a fortune hunter's dream.

Just as a starting point, this excites me.

A Malazan veteran calling himself 'Red' ventures out to try his luck -- and perhaps say goodbye to old friends.

Am doubting this is someone we know, since there's no real limit on possible ex-Bridgeburners lurking around out there.

That said, what colour was Fiddler's beard again...?

But there he finds far more than he'd bargained for as the rush to claim the Spawn's treasures descends into a mad scramble of chaos and bloodshed. For powers from across the world have gathered here, searching for the legendary Throne of Night.

Betting on Draconus getting involved. no way Rake just left the Throne lying around for anyone to mess with.

On an unremarkable island off the coast of Genabackis, a people who had turned their backs upon all such strivings now lift their masked faces towards the mainland and recall the ancient prophesy of a return.

we gots SEGULEH, oh yes we do.

And what about the ex-Claw of the Malazan Empire who now walks the uttermost edge of creation? His mission -- the success or failure of which the Queen of Dreams saw long ago -- is destined to shape far more than anyone could have ever imagined.

Now this is interesting... Kiska is, of course, a 'she', and as far as we know, Topper never resigned. Am wondering whether Possum has gone off on his own since we last saw him in RCG... since he encountered Kiska (so to speak) in RCG, there's even a connection there.

Looking good!

- Abyss, psyched.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#40 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Abyss, whether or not it is Kiska, the mention of the QoD suggests to me that Kiska and Leoman will feature anyway.

Really psyched about this book now Posted Image

Well, as long as we GET TO SEE KARSA AND TORVALD IN THE SAME SCENE Posted Image
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users