Malazan Empire: The "Post what ever the hell" you want thread - Malazan Empire

• 79 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The "Post what ever the hell" you want thread (Within the limits of the Code of Conduct, you perverts)

#1561 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2023 - 05:19 PM

Today is Indigenous Peoples' Day in the US (I was going to say 'formerly Columbus Day', but on the federal level---and in Pennsylvania---it's still Columbus Day;

Last year, [...] Biden declared proclamations for both Columbus Day and Indigenous People's Day. [Joe, that is---not Hunter...]

Why the second Monday in October is a source of controversy (wsls.com)

And TIL:

arguing that Native peoples who died from disease during the early colonization of the Americas was inevitable and therefore not a result of colonial violence is an old, tired narrative that more and more scholars are disproving—but it's a falsehood still replicated on numerous Wikipedia pages.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source for Indigenous history. (slate.com)

Until recently, histories of disease and Native Americans have emphasized "virgin-soil epidemics." According to this theory, [...] when Europeans arrived in the Western Hemisphere, they brought diseases (particularly measles and smallpox) that indigenous people had never experienced. [...]

New research, however, provides a much more complicated picture of disease in American Indian history. [...] virgin-soil epidemics were not as common as previously believed [...] diseases repeatedly attacked Native communities in the decades and centuries after Europeans first arrived. Post-contact diseases were crippling not so much because indigenous people lacked immunity, but because the conditions created by European and U.S. colonialism made Native communities vulnerable. [...] the new scholarship provides a far more disturbing picture. It also helps us understand the problems facing Native communities today [...]

[...] De Soto's expedition did cause disease to erupt in Native communities, but the reason was that the expedition's violent warfare led to outbreaks of pathogens such as dysentery, which was already present in the Americas. When smallpox finally hit the Southeast, it spread rapidly from Virginia to East Texas across networks created by an English trade in Native captives for enslavement in their coastal and West Indies colonies. Raiding, capturing, and transporting human bodies created pathways for the smallpox virus. To make matters worse, those bodies were already weakened by war and its companions—malnutrition, exposure, and lack of palliative care.

[...] as smallpox recurred in the 19th century, its impact correlated not with a lack of prior exposure, but with the presence of adverse social conditions. These same conditions would also make Native communities susceptible to a host of other diseases, including cholera, [...] and alcoholism. Native vulnerability had—and has—nothing to do with racial inferiority or, since those initial incidents, lack of immunity; rather, it has everything to do with concrete policies pursued by the United States government, its states, and its citizens.

Disease Has Never Been Just Disease for Native Americans - The Atlantic

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 October 2023 - 05:19 PM

#1562 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 November 2023 - 07:56 AM

The Dutch annual national cycling-into-headwinds championships were cancelled yesterday due to the headwinds being too strong. Do with this info as you wish.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1563 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:24 PM

Exploitation in Tokyo vs exploitation in Philadelphia:

[...] thought she had found the ideal partner when she matched with a man on a dating app three years ago. They were around the same age and both at university, where he was studying medicine.

The "match", though, was the beginning of a nightmare that saw the young woman rack up debts of millions of yen at host clubs – money that she is paying back by dropping out of university and working in Japan's commercial sex industry.

[...] host clubs offer women a place to drink expensive champagne and chat and flirt with young men hired for their looks and conversational ability. Sex is not on the menu, but it is not unusual for hosts and their customers to meet privately.

[...] Industry insiders say the vast majority of the 6,000 hosts working at Kabukichō's 300 clubs do not exploit their female clientele. Instead, they insist the women choose to pay large sums for high-end drinks and quality time with their favourite hosts in an environment reminiscent of a romantic manga [comic book].

'Host clubs' in Tokyo force women into sex work to pay off huge debts | Sex work | The Guardian

[...] a side-effect of this drug can be struggling to stand upright, which is why users are commonly described in the media as "zombies". People taking it can also develop severe flesh-eating wounds.

In viral videos uploaded to social channels such as TikTok, tranq users are filmed when they are in a physical state in which they are unlikely to be able to consent. In some, they are asked questions about their private life or situations in a probing way that plays on their vulnerability. The videos are filmed by content creators, some of whom just visit the area for a short while and then monetize the views.

[...] "It's become very exploitative there; people from all over Europe and the US are coming into the area and putting their phones or cameras in people's faces,"

'Tranq tourism': alarm in Philadelphia as TikTokers travel to film drug users | Drugs | The Guardian

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 December 2023 - 03:24 PM

#1564 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2023 - 03:57 PM

I need a new bookshelf. I've been handling it a bit by e-reading mostly, but I still have a couple stacks of unread books on my coffee table, and I'm starting to store finished books in cardboard boxes. It's not quite pack rat level yet but I'd like to head that off ahead of time. Probably gotta donate some of it too, but still. How to balance affordable with durable, without having to do any carpentry.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1565 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 January 2024 - 10:10 AM

No real reason, thought these were cool.

https://www.geeksare...r-rogers-comic/

https://www.geeksare...bob-ross-comic/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1566 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 January 2024 - 01:47 PM

There are conflicting accounts of how we got the laser-eyed Biden meme. Some point to a piece of Chinese propaganda [...] a series of images show an animated Biden with pupil-less glowing yellow eyes, sitting on a throne made of rifles and reigning over a horde of the undead.

More likely, the laser-eyed Biden was spawned out of the DarkMAGA meme universe. In viral images from 2022, Donald Trump often appears with glowing blue eyes [...] meaner and more ruthless than ever, bent on exacting revenge. The same aesthetic treatment was then applied to Biden.

2024 election: I wore Joe Biden's version of a MAGA hat around town for a month. Yikes. (slate.com)

... but viral laser eyes memes predate that, and became popular in 2021 as a crypto thing:

once Bitcoin reached $50,000, they'd replace their avatars with the laser versions and begin promoting a hashtag called #LaserRayUntil100K. The concept being that they would blast lasers from their avatars' skulls, and hopefully so would others, all as a sign of enthusiasm and solidarity until a single Bitcoin was worth $100,000.

[ SOLIDARITY! yay! oh wait... ]

[...] It grained traction fast. Adoptees would come to include Elon Musk, Paris Hilton, and Sean Hannity. A Dutch Libertarian Party candidate went laser on a billboard. Ohio Congressman Warren Davidson gained laser eyes, and so did Cynthia M. Lummis, the junior Senator from Wyoming [...]

[...] "Laser eyes proclaim a technology to guarantee the human rights of life, liberty, & property. Laser eyes channel action even as they protect from dilutive distraction. Laser eyes signal intent to make #Bitcoin an instrument of economic empowerment."

[...] I actually believe that laser eyes will now be a permanent signal for Bitcoin Maximalists."

What's Up With All Those Crypto Laser-Eyes Profile Pics? A Definitive Investigation (wealthsimple.com)

lol

[In] 2010, the game Mass Effect 2 was released, in which [...] enemy units eyes [...] glow yellow when "assuming direct control" of them. [...] images of various animals and characters photoshopped with glowing eyes and variations of the caption "assuming direct control" began circulating online [...]

[... in] 2011, a page titled "Glowing Eyes" was created on TV Tropes,[1] describing the use of glowing eyes in media as a way to "show off someone's Life Energy" or indicate "someone's just triggered their Super Mode." [...] 2013, Tumblr [...] picture of a skeleton in a rocking chair with glowing eyes with the description "ah yes my throne" [...] 2014, a thread mocking a newspaper headline about American doctor Kent Brantly "growing stronger" following his contraction of the Ebola virus was submitted to 4chan. [...] suggested someone edit a photograph of Brantly "so he has glowing eyes," leading to several photoshopped pictures of the doctor [...]

As Deep Fried Memes grew in popularity, the glowing eyes effect was incorporated into the the set of distortions used for the deep fried filter. Later, the effect was used in memes such as Gordon Ramsay's Lamb Sauce

Glowing Eyes / Laser Eyes | Know Your Meme

... but doesn't it refer more directly to Superman? It's not just glowing eyes, it's laser eyes, and iirc the only widely known US pop culture reference for laser eyes is Superman (and his partial derivatives...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 January 2024 - 01:47 PM

#1567 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 January 2024 - 05:28 PM

Was dismayed when I read about someone being pushed in front of a subway train near me. However, after watching the video, it looks like a gigantic white guy was harassing a Black man half his size, putting his hand on his chest and repeatedly pulling his hand back as if to hit him. Then the Black guy throws two punches (one of which lands), the white giant backpedals and topples over the tracks, and a train runs him over.

Depending on witness testimony, if I were on the jury, I'd probably consider it justified self-defense.

Full video:

(2) PhillyCrimeUpdate on X: "**VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED*** **Video may be disturbing ** Philadelphia Video surfaces of a fight on SEPTA's subway platform at 34th and Market A man is thrown onto the tracks in front of a moving train. The train could not be stopped in time and officials say the man… https://t.co/pgROCDRYvX" / X (twitter.com)

Sounds like the white guy says, 'THEN FUCKING FIGHT ME BRO' right before the Black guy finally punches him.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 January 2024 - 05:28 PM

#1568 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:04 PM

Predictably, cops have charged the Black guy with defending himself while Black.

Wouldn't be particularly shocked if that gigantic white guy turned out to be an off-duty Philadelphia cop---he was certainly acting like one. But that probably would have come out by now, even if the police department didn't want it to.

Racists on eX-Twitter have been spreading the apparently false rumor that the Black guy had stolen the white giant's lighter, claiming they can hear the white guy say, 'give me back my lighter', and that it should be considered murder in commission of a crime. But on the video the only one of those words that I can hear is 'give'; the rest is garbled. An anonymous commenter on TMZ's website claimed the white guy had been doing drugs on the platform and the Black guy took his lighter away, which could be the initial source of the rumor. But according to the transit agency,

what started the altercation remains unclear.
"What our police are looking at is if it started somewhere else," he said. "As far as we know, it wasn't a visible fight that was going on for a long period of time."

Philadelphia subway death leads to charges after man hit by train (inquirer.com)

So the rumors about the lighter seem to be bullshit.

I used to use that station every day so it's especially disturbing to watch someone get killed there. Every time I take a train I'm mindful of the possibility someone might randomly push me to my death. Though I'd suppose sitting on a bench would make that a lot harder for them, particularly if I'm holding on to the bench just in case they try to grab me and fling me onto the tracks.

Of course there are no guard rails, even though a South Korean company offered to install glass platform screens for free and automate the subway back in 2014... which SEPTA considered and refused (possibly because they were too busy being corrupt... for example see (from 2021) U.S. Attorney charges 9 in SEPTA corruption investigation - WHYY ).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2024 - 06:05 PM

#1569 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 January 2024 - 08:14 PM

I was mistaken about what's being said on the video from the subway platform---with the bass removed, you actually can clearly hear the giant white guy saying, 'Give me back my lighter' repeatedly. Odd that Septa's statement did not mention that as a motive. Still no official mention of any witnesses seeing the Black guy take the giant's lighter on the platform, only that anonymous internet comment on TMZ's website.

[...] Apple's pulsatingly clever first ad for the Vision Pro harks backward[...]

[...] many movies and cartoons we've loved over the years[...] like Back To The Future, Up, Ant-Man and Iron Man[...] Star Wars [...]

[...] all adorned with some sort of glasses/goggles/weird techy things over their faces.

[...] because you never really had any problem with people wearing glasses/goggles/weird techy things above their noses -- or even over their whole faces -- did you?

These characters were heroes of your childhood[...]

Their facial adornments were essential ingredients of their fascinating, endearing selves. It was all so blissfully normal, in its way.

So why even consider being freaked out about it now?

[...] cardinal lesson of tech marketing: First, make people feel good.

Then wait and see how long it takes their heroic selves to get hold of $3,499.

Apple wants you to think wearing goggles is wonderful and I'm marveling | ZDNET

lol

“We’ve socially engineered ourselves the way we geoengineered the planet,” [...] new paper which proposes that climate breakdown is a symptom of ecological overshoot, which in turn is caused by the deliberate exploitation of human behaviour.

[...“]We need to become mindful of the way we’re being manipulated,” [...]

[...“] The things that humans can attach status to are so fluid, we could be replacing all of it with things that essentially have no material footprint [...]”

[...] “behavioural influencers” such as screenwriters, web developers and algorithm engineers, all of whom are promoting certain social norms and could be working to rewire society relatively quickly and harmlessly by promoting a new set of behaviours.

The paper discusses the enormous success of the work of [...] an initiative that creates mainstream entertainment to drive behaviour change on population growth and even gender violence. Fertility rates have declined in the countries in which the centre’s telenovelas and radionovelas have aired.

Human ‘behavioural crisis’ at root of climate breakdown, say scientists | Climate crisis | The Guardian

Radionovelas to the rescue of the planet... or maybe the next Game of Thrones? 'Game of who can do the most to help save the planet... and thereby become the Go*-emperor of it!'

If VR/AR becomes ubiquitous, virtual goods could partly replace material goods and physical trips as status markers. (Of course one major issue is that this requires producing a large number of VR headsets, and powering them, and producing new content for them... but it should eventually be cheaper than transporting physical luxury goods.)

VR also shows immense promise for brainwashing people (washing out the garbage fires that have been fed into and formed our brains---from our evolutionary history through to deleterious modern ideologies), especially children. Perhaps AR will have similar effects (and help bring it out into the world?...). I imagine the Chinese government may (yet again) be a leader in exploring this technological frontier---one that may yet help save this planet.

#1570 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:46 AM

Succinct and from the heart. Legend. :thumbsup:

New Zealand Mayor’s brutal email to conspiracy theorist
A local mayor has seen a surge of support after a savage response to a persistent conspiracy theorist who had been directing threats towards council staff for years.

https://www.news.com...37587804a9710c8

"In an email exchange last year, Mayor of the Thames-Coromandel District on New Zealand’s North Island, Len Salt, concluded his message with a candid suggestion to the individual: “Go f*** yourself.”"

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 January 2024 - 07:46 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1571 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2024 - 04:26 PM

Irish potatoes, a Philly delicacy, often befuddle people from Ireland

[...] who moved to Pennsylvania from Donegal, Ireland [...] thought her friend was pulling some kind of prank
Spoiler

Irish potatoes, a Philadelphia delicacy, often confuse immigrants and visitors from Ireland | PhillyVoice

Don't think I ever liked coconut in candy, though my mother (from rural Pennsylvania) loves it, and I like fresh or frozen coconut meat, water, and milk. I do love cinnamon though---my daily breakfast is dried edamame in hot water and olive oil with about a tablespoon of cinnamon on top. Cinnamon and other non-sweet spices more than make up for having completely eliminated added sugar and sweeteners from my diet many years ago.

Of course I think that candy should be banned. The ensuing gang wars will give humanity something to do while AI makes the world run (faster and faster, until it goes beyond this world---and this solar system...).

#1572 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:31 PM

I was confused by English muffins when I went to the US cos we don't have them here!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 79 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users