• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#301 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 26 April 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

So I am weak and have backed the new Bloodborne boardgame on kickstarter.

I am looking at it, but I cannot shake that uneasy feeling that I often have with CMON dungeon crawler games (especially after my experience with Massive Darkness, which I extensively and expensively backed): magnificent miniatures accompanied by a rule set that seems to offer little variance or depth.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#302 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

All I remember about Hero Quest is the box art but after this video I clearly need to own it:

https://youtu.be/Cx8sl2uC46A

Also, I don't think I've ever heard a British neck beard talk before. It's captivating.

#303 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:58 AM

Bump.

Uhhh backed Middara act 2 and 3
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#304 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

I backed a grand strategy game called Gods War in 2016 and received it last week. We did a five player match, and it was really fun! Thankfully 😅
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#305 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 July 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

I backed a grand strategy game called Gods War in 2016 and received it last week. We did a five player match, and it was really fun! Thankfully 😅

The Sandy Petersen game about Glorantha? My Kickstarter regrets are usually about not opting out, but I really, really regret not backing that one.

#306 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostTapper, on 07 July 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 07 July 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

The Sandy Petersen game about Glorantha? My Kickstarter regrets are usually about not opting out, but I really, really regret not backing that one.

It’s late by two and a half years. But it does seem to be an excellent game.

#307 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

My bud went to gencon and had him grab me Black Angel, some KDM goodies and Aegean Sea.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#308 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

My friends and I have been playing Root (with expansion) into the ground over the past few months. It's a blast, but I'm thinking we might be getting bored of it soon.

Anyone have any suggestions for other games? We like Root, Scythe, Ticket To Ride, Codenames, and Secret Hitler.

(Vagrant Vagabond with Instigate is OP)

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 09 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

#309 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

So many good games explore and find what you like don’t like for sure

Try nemesis if your into thematic I really enjoy it for the aliens aspect. Hellas same company

I really enjoy architects of West kingdom, but raiders is generally a win too.

Viticulture is great.

Terraforming Mars is quite fun.

Xia/firefly are great for that particular type

Alway Twillight imperium but it’s quite long with a bunch of unexperienced people..

#310 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

I would second Viticulture. I have Lords of Hellas but haven't played it yet, so no opinion on whether I'd recommend it. Cyclades is pretty cool, if you're looking for another dudes-on-a-map game a la Scythe/Root, and Kemet might be even better suited.

#311 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

Also, I backed Etherfields recently. It seems a shoot on the This War of Mine, Tainted Grail story-telling tree, but much wilder and yet, a bit more streamlined (no story books).

#312 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

We've played Gods War again and Crusader Kings, which I just recently received from Kickstarter.

Gods War is an excellent heavy strategy game. Two games now and it's just really fun. The basics are quite simple, but the depth of the game seems immense. It also helps that every faction seems to play entirely different, and that there's 9 of them.

Crusader Kings is a very different game. It's not as strategy heavy, and have many more random elements. It's a game where narrative plays a big part, where having fun at your king using his gardening trait to survive a crusade is at its essence. There's a lot of diplomacy involved, and lots of fun negotiations. Still, random events can really hamper your game, so you have to approach Crusader Kings with the knowledge that it can all go tits up through no fault of your own.

#313 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:37 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 15 August 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

We've played Gods War again and Crusader Kings, which I just recently received from Kickstarter.

Gods War is an excellent heavy strategy game. Two games now and it's just really fun. The basics are quite simple, but the depth of the game seems immense. It also helps that every faction seems to play entirely different, and that there's 9 of them.

Crusader Kings is a very different game. It's not as strategy heavy, and have many more random elements. It's a game where narrative plays a big part, where having fun at your king using his gardening trait to survive a crusade is at its essence. There's a lot of diplomacy involved, and lots of fun negotiations. Still, random events can really hamper your game, so you have to approach Crusader Kings with the knowledge that it can all go tits up through no fault of your own.

I’ll be giving crusader kings a go this weekend with a quick draft version variant of firefly..going to a local board game convention this weekend!

#314 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 21 August 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 15 August 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

I'll be giving crusader kings a go this weekend with a quick draft version variant of firefly..going to a local board game convention this weekend!

A crucial rule to remember, is that when you pick an action - for most actions - you can do any number of them. If you want to build a castle, you can build as many castles as you want (though paying for each). If you want to invade you can invade as many times as you want (though only once for each army), if you chose to fabricate a casus beli you do that as many times as you'd like too (though when it comes to intrigue actions it costs 1 gold pr extra after the first one. So if you're playing as France and fabricating Casus beli against England, Spain and Germany, it'll costs you 2 gold.)

It's a serious pain being in the last round and ready to attack, but suddenly come to the realization that you don't have enough actions to both fabricate a casus beli, mobilize and attack.

#315 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

Looking for some pointers for a new 5E game we're running soon. I'm a PC in this, not DM.

So, I want to play a character whose sole goal in life is to become so strong he can punch a mountain down, and his ultimate aim is to wrestle a dragon into submission. Big, and beefy.

So I've picked that he's a Goliath and that he fights without armour or weapons. However monk seems quite lacklustre for grappler type characters.

My DM is absolutely fine with me doing something like a monk who uses STR instead of DEX for monk checks (think muscle wizard). Monk makes the most sense in terms of the unarmed and unarmoured aspects, but then fighter and barbarian both look pretty appealing for it.

Any ideas?

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#316 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

I'd be tempted to go barbarian except that monk lends itself to unarmoured better. Which 5e campaign is it?

Having said that though, we're in a PotA game at present and I have no idea how he's done it but one player's paladin is the most hench thing I've ever seen in a game. Stats for DAYS. If I discover how he's managed that I'll pass it on!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 19 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#317 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 September 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

Looking for some pointers for a new 5E game we're running soon. I'm a PC in this, not DM.

So, I want to play a character whose sole goal in life is to become so strong he can punch a mountain down, and his ultimate aim is to wrestle a dragon into submission. Big, and beefy.

So I've picked that he's a Goliath and that he fights without armour or weapons. However monk seems quite lacklustre for grappler type characters.

My DM is absolutely fine with me doing something like a monk who uses STR instead of DEX for monk checks (think muscle wizard). Monk makes the most sense in terms of the unarmed and unarmoured aspects, but then fighter and barbarian both look pretty appealing for it.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a barbarian with the tavern brawler feat.

#318 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 September 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

I'd be tempted to go barbarian except that monk lends itself to unarmoured better. Which 5e campaign is it?

Having said that though, we're in a PotA game at present and I have no idea how he's done it but one player's paladin is the most hench thing I've ever seen in a game. Stats for DAYS. If I discover how he's managed that I'll pass it on!

Homebrew.

View PostImperial Historian, on 19 September 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Any ideas?

Sounds like a barbarian with the tavern brawler feat.

Kind of, except that doesn't fit this guy's backstory - he has trained body and mind for many years with the ultimate goal of suplexing a dragon. So he fits the monk background but also the barbarian way...

#319 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Any ideas?

Look up the Pugilist homebrew class - should be exactly what you're looking for! It's like a monk that runs on STR, and has lots of bonuses to grappling and the like.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#320 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

View PostBlend, on 19 September 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

Any ideas?

Look up the Pugilist homebrew class - should be exactly what you're looking for! It's like a monk that runs on STR, and has lots of bonuses to grappling and the like.

YES. Let's fucking throw some hoes.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users