• You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#341 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 05 December 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Hello, anyone has any reccos for card/board games for a 12 year old?

Lords of Waterdeep
Azul
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
King of Tokyo
Zooloretto

All have been enjoyed by my daughter as a 7-to-9-year-old, as well as just the adults. Some of them are more enjoyable with 3+ players, but I've done them all (barring Azul) with my daughter as 2-player games.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#342 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:02 PM

Based on Morgoth's report and the Shut Up and Sit Down review of Ctulhu Wars (of which this is an adaptation set in the much more awesome Glorantha mythology), I caved and bought Glorantha: the god's war for a price below of what it went for on Kickstarter, which is waaaay below what a copy does on eBay. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw the package weighs in at 11 kg. She made sure I heard her mutter that I am crazy when she saw the thirty centimeter "miniatures" of the Greater Gods. I don't care, I own my unicorn game now. It's the one thing I regret not backing on Kickstarter.

Even better/worse, I read that a second edition is coming to Kickstarter in january (with raised prices for both the base game and Empires), so new expansions can be mine - in 2022 or so :p

This post has been edited by Tapper: 20 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#343 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostTapper, on 20 December 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Based on Morgoth's report and the Shut Up and Sit Down review of Ctulhu Wars (of which this is an adaptation set in the much more awesome Glorantha mythology), I caved and bought Glorantha: the god's war for a price below of what it went for on Kickstarter, which is waaaay below what a copy does on eBay. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw the package weighs in at 11 kg. She made sure I heard her mutter that I am crazy when she saw the thirty centimeter "miniatures" of the Greater Gods. I don't care, I own my unicorn game now. It's the one thing I regret not backing on Kickstarter.

Even better/worse, I read that a second edition is coming to Kickstarter in january (with raised prices for both the base game and Empires), so new expansions can be mine - in 2022 or so :p

Every game of Gods War we've played so far has been a major hit
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#344 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

Got Carcassone at christmas, I love playing this with the kids.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#345 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:38 AM

Had a round of Khemet this week-end. I'd forgotten how fun that is. I almost had the victory but was fooled by a clever strategy card in the final round. I tried to focus on the red tech three for once, which turned out not to be such a good idea. Or maybe I had just too little experience with it, I prefer the white and blue ones.

#346 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I played Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. The one with the app. Originally I was skeptical to introducing a screen, but that worked really well I thought! Cooperative games are especially well suited for an app it seems.

#347 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:34 AM

First boardgame night in an age. We were four, properly distanced from each other to the extent possible. We went for Rising Sun, second time playing with the house rule that monsters cannot be kidnapped, and it was really fun! God, I had missed being social.

#348 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:54 AM

Eclipse 2nd edition is really good. I think I'll have to sell my 1st edition and buy the new one.

#349 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:20 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 18 August 2020 - 06:54 AM, said:

Eclipse 2nd edition is really good. I think I'll have to sell my 1st edition and buy the new one.

What are the improvements?

#350 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:28 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 18 August 2020 - 07:20 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 18 August 2020 - 06:54 AM, said:

What are the improvements?

Mostly quality of life stuff. The box is full of inserts, making setup go a lot quicker. A lot. Cubes and stuff have their own tracks, so little risk of spilling them all over and so on. Each colour have their own unique ships, there are minis for the different ancients and the space station at the galactic center.

In addition there's been numerous balance tweaks to systems and tech, and some smaller ones for races, eight instead of nine rounds. Plasma missiles cost 1 energy now, and are the most expensive tech on their track. Computers no longer give initiative, so shields are actually useful now, and improved hull is more expensive, so you can't buy it on your first turn, etc etc. Hydra starts with one less tech planet, which in addition to the reduced game length, makes it harder for them to win on tech points. Orion starts with less materials, so they cannot buy a second cruiser on round 1, and with the increased tech price of improved hull, they can't get that on round 1 either.

In addition, and this turned out to change the game in surprising ways, you can claim discovery tiles without settling a system. Meaning that if you explore and find a system with a discovery tile, you get that whether you claim the system or not.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 18 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

#351 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:49 AM

That does sound quite different! Intrigued to try it.

#352 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Pledged for Massive Darkness 2. I traded MD1 with my Imperial Assault, couple of weeks ago. Guess there are better games in the genre, but this is one that I can play with my son of 8. So I saw the Kickstarter for MD2, and I couldn't resist, seeing all the extra's. So now it's waiting for a year...

#353 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:11 AM

Kickstarter is dangerous business. I am waiting for three (Bloodborne, Tainted Grail, and Europa Universalis), and I'll have to invest in Streets in a few days Posted Image

What is Massive Darkness like?

#354 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:14 AM

Played a game of Clans of Caledonia a couple of days ago. Scottish clans vying for economic dominance of the highlands. It's fun, if a little complicated. Feels sort of like Terra Mystica with an addition of worker placement.

#355 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:00 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 August 2020 - 07:11 AM, said:

Kickstarter is dangerous business. I am waiting for three (Bloodborne, Tainted Grail, and Europa Universalis), and I'll have to invest in Streets in a few days Posted Image

What is Massive Darkness like?

Thanks for the warning :-) I was warned earlier on that, although CMON does deliver in the end, a 6 month delay is pretty standard...

MD is fun, but less complex then Imperial Assault (and Descent i presume), even a bit easier than Mice & Mystics. Which is why I wanted to buy it, my son got a bit lost in those other games. Lots of loot, which make it feel like a Diablo game.

#356 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

Having had quite the success with Villagers (which is great fun by the way), my friend Haakon is at it again with a new game.

edit: why isnt it working to embed the link? In the post it turns up beautifully, but when I actually post it the whole thing disappears without a trace.

http://kck.st/3lDAcsI

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 02 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

#357 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:06 PM

With Christmas looming, any suggestions for a nice board or card game that works well for two players? My wife and I are quite seasoned gamers and we already have a sizable collection of games, which makes finding new worthwhile games a bit of a chore at times. I regularly trawl boardgamegeek etc for ideas, but I tend to find that personal recommendations are more succesful. So any gems that we may have missed? For the record, my wife isn't a big fan of worker placement mechanics but likes deck building games and escape room/mystery style games, whereas I am quite interested in innovative game mechanics. And yes, we already have things like Splendor, Dominion, Star Realms, mansions of madness, patchwork, etc.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#358 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:54 PM

The best two player game I regularly play is race for the galaxy, which I think puts you in a position where every card you are playing results in multiple decisions and can change your strategy completely. Has a huge degree of replayability and interesting interactions.

If you like coop games eldritch horror with the right person can be a great 2 player, and spirit island is a mix of deck building and sort of worker placement in a thematically satisfying puzzle like game.

And of course a deck building 2 player which has interesting mechanics would be gloomhaven but I'm sure that's already on your radar.

I've played a lot of deckbuilding type games, but none are obviously better than star realms and dominion. If anyone has one to recommend I would be interested too!

#359 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:10 AM

I agree with IH. Also, Mansions of Madness and Gloomhaven works great for two.

#360 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:11 AM

Agree with all recommends, sadly already got those covered apart from Spirit Island, which I'll definitely check out. Been eyeing Gloomhaven for some time now, but the price tag put me off as I wasn't sure if it would be good in a two-player setting. Maybe it is an interesting punt for Christmas. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users