• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#341 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:59 PM

Imperial Settlers might work. It's for age 10+ and it contains enough strategic optimization to remain fun as she grows and plays it more often. Word of warning: the Atlantis expansion really slows the early game down (the Atlantis player plays a reversed game, essentially) and makes all players wait for 10+ minutes while the Atlantis player finishes turn 1-2.

Machi Koro is a pretty okay dice roller, but it might be boring for grown-ups.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#342 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 05 December 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Hello, anyone has any reccos for card/board games for a 12 year old?

Lords of Waterdeep
Azul
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
King of Tokyo
Zooloretto

All have been enjoyed by my daughter as a 7-to-9-year-old, as well as just the adults. Some of them are more enjoyable with 3+ players, but I've done them all (barring Azul) with my daughter as 2-player games.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#343 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:02 PM

Based on Morgoth's report and the Shut Up and Sit Down review of Ctulhu Wars (of which this is an adaptation set in the much more awesome Glorantha mythology), I caved and bought Glorantha: the god's war for a price below of what it went for on Kickstarter, which is waaaay below what a copy does on eBay. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw the package weighs in at 11 kg. She made sure I heard her mutter that I am crazy when she saw the thirty centimeter "miniatures" of the Greater Gods. I don't care, I own my unicorn game now. It's the one thing I regret not backing on Kickstarter.

Even better/worse, I read that a second edition is coming to Kickstarter in january (with raised prices for both the base game and Empires), so new expansions can be mine - in 2022 or so :p

This post has been edited by Tapper: 20 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#344 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostTapper, on 20 December 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Based on Morgoth's report and the Shut Up and Sit Down review of Ctulhu Wars (of which this is an adaptation set in the much more awesome Glorantha mythology), I caved and bought Glorantha: the god's war for a price below of what it went for on Kickstarter, which is waaaay below what a copy does on eBay. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw the package weighs in at 11 kg. She made sure I heard her mutter that I am crazy when she saw the thirty centimeter "miniatures" of the Greater Gods. I don't care, I own my unicorn game now. It's the one thing I regret not backing on Kickstarter.

Even better/worse, I read that a second edition is coming to Kickstarter in january (with raised prices for both the base game and Empires), so new expansions can be mine - in 2022 or so :p

Every game of Gods War we've played so far has been a major hit
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#345 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

Got Carcassone at christmas, I love playing this with the kids.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#346 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:38 AM

Had a round of Khemet this week-end. I'd forgotten how fun that is. I almost had the victory but was fooled by a clever strategy card in the final round. I tried to focus on the red tech three for once, which turned out not to be such a good idea. Or maybe I had just too little experience with it, I prefer the white and blue ones.

#347 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I played Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. The one with the app. Originally I was skeptical to introducing a screen, but that worked really well I thought! Cooperative games are especially well suited for an app it seems.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users