• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#141 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostTraveller, on 23 September 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

I want to get something my 6 yr old could get into. I used to play a few really nice board games with some friends who had a 'nerd night' every week, but I used to leave quite drunk and can't remember what they were called.

Would something like Escape: Curse of the Temple be a good start? I like the 10 minute gameplay aspect - if it goes down well I might try them with Small World.

Ticket to Ride, until they have the routes memorized. Takenoko is also a great game, and beautiful. Machikoro, perhaps, but I find it takes ages. I think you're best served with a game with very short turns.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#142 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:33 AM

Depending on your 6-year-old, of course, but my own likes to play the following:

Cartagena
Pickomino
Sushi Go!
Aquarius
King of Tokyo
Coloretto

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 27 September 2016 - 04:34 AM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#143 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 September 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

Secret Hitler is pretty great.

After far too much play of each, I prefer it to Resistance and Avalon.

Have you tried "Don't mess with Cthulhu" ? It is pretty fun, too.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#144 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Wow, some good recommendations there thanks, Takenoko especially looks very tempting.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#145 User is online   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostNevyn, on 27 September 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

I haven't, no. We had some games of SH at our last gaming meet, and I was drawn as a Fascist in the first round. My tactic? Gradually raise suspicion of the other Fascist and draw attention away from myself whilst playing those saucy Liberals.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#146 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

Dungeon Degenerates. This looks pretty rad (it's still in Kickstarter mode, but seems pretty much a lock to get made): http://goblinko.com/...of-doom-fantasy
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#147 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:53 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 29 September 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 27 September 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

I haven't, no. We had some games of SH at our last gaming meet, and I was drawn as a Fascist in the first round. My tactic? Gradually raise suspicion of the other Fascist and draw attention away from myself whilst playing those saucy Liberals.

I always have fun with forming a government with another fascist (Hitler), calling them a liar based on the cards, then giving myself away as the fascist and having the other one suddenly be trusted at the critical moment.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#148 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:09 PM

Played 'sherlock, consulting detective' last weekend. Awesome game, totally different from anything else I've ever played before. Basically, you play as Wiggins, one of Sherlock's street urchin, and you try and solve a criminal case under the guidance of Sherlock and his network. You get a London map, newspaper snippets, and a set of clues and interviewees based on the locations you visit. Spent a marvelous few hours solving the first case, really immersive.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#149 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostGorefest, on 13 October 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

Played 'sherlock, consulting detective' last weekend. Awesome game, totally different from anything else I've ever played before. Basically, you play as Wiggins, one of Sherlock's street urchin, and you try and solve a criminal case under the guidance of Sherlock and his network. You get a London map, newspaper snippets, and a set of clues and interviewees based on the locations you visit. Spent a marvelous few hours solving the first case, really immersive.

This is one of those games I've heard so much awesome about that I'm waiting until I have a truly great partner/couple friends to play through all the cases with so it will be extra super-duper special.

Which means I'll probably never play it... :p

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#150 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

We've played a lot of skyfall this weekend. It's a lot of fun but I am a terrible spy
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#151 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:30 AM

Got Lords of Waterdeep for my birthday, and played it last week. Love it. It cribs a lot from Caylus, but moves more quickly, and is in general just a lot more fun.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#152 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

Played a few good new games recently.

Sherlock Holmes consulting detective, a couple of cases left. This is really good with the right group of people who are happy to just sit and speculate about means and motive. Very fun coop, though the quality of each case can vary quite significantly.

Eldritch horror, pretty fun coop with a steep learning curve as you battle Cthulu with various characters. Much better with 2 or 3 rather than the max of 7.

Cthulu pandemic really nice new version of pandemic, different enough that it feels like a new game for those tired of pandemic.

Twilight struggle, this game was sitting at the top of boardgamegeeks list for about 10 years and I can see why. Brilliant two player game, complex mix of strategy and luck, constantly having to make critical decisions and a really nice mechanic where the power balance swings between the two sides quite often. There is currently an electronic version on steam, and I think soon ipad which is a great tutorial, but definitely try it if you like complex strategy games.

#153 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 04 November 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Played a few good new games recently.

Sherlock Holmes consulting detective, a couple of cases left. This is really good with the right group of people who are happy to just sit and speculate about means and motive. Very fun coop, though the quality of each case can vary quite significantly.

Eldritch horror, pretty fun coop with a steep learning curve as you battle Cthulu with various characters. Much better with 2 or 3 rather than the max of 7.

Cthulu pandemic really nice new version of pandemic, different enough that it feels like a new game for those tired of pandemic.

Twilight struggle, this game was sitting at the top of boardgamegeeks list for about 10 years and I can see why. Brilliant two player game, complex mix of strategy and luck, constantly having to make critical decisions and a really nice mechanic where the power balance swings between the two sides quite often. There is currently an electronic version on steam, and I think soon ipad which is a great tutorial, but definitely try it if you like complex strategy games.

Twilight Struggle might be the best game I own, and I wish I could get to play it more often. Interestingly, the winner of the Twilight Struggle championship is the same guy every year.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 04 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#154 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

Yeah it's very good. You should get the steam version and we can play online. I've only played a few games and I can see that there is a lot more to master.

#155 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

Twilight Struggle is a great game. Unfortunately, we can't really play it often. Our cat usually claims the board for herself right after we move out of the Early War to the Middle one because she needs attention. We tried bringing it on holiday with us, but it's a bit too big for most B&B and hotel room desks.

#156 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

The Humble Bundle organization just put up a new Mobile Humble Bundle that are all boardgame apps, including Catan, Splendor, Galaxy Trucker and San Juan.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#157 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:34 AM

Dungeons & Dragons inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame: http://www.toyhallof...ungeons-dragons

#158 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

Very much im the nerdy-category, but I splashed on The Edge: Dawnfall kickdtarter. It looks gorgeous, can be played co-op, can be extensively played solo (important for my days off). It's by the designer who did Neuroshima Hex (which I never played, but plan to).

#159 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

Tapper

You have my attention. Is the gaming pedigree that good? Looks very interesting. No idea how you play a board game solo though

#160 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostCause, on 12 November 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Tapper

You have my attention. Is the gaming pedigree that good? Looks very interesting. No idea how you play a board game solo though

Regarding the pedigree:
Awaken Realms are also responsible for (the board game adaptation of) This War of Mine, which looks very interesting, too (and had much wider backing, it must be said).

The designer has some pedigree: Neuroshima Hex had great reviews, Cry Havoc (also by Oracz) is fairly new but rated 7.9 at Boardgame Geek, which is a good albeit not historic rating.

The interest for me is threefold: solo play with a legacy mechanic campaign, a skirmish game that seems 'easy to learn' for non-wargamers and the fact that AR seem to prefer to keep the game small yet balanced rather than pooping out new miniatures with every new stretch goal (which does not sit too well with the most vocal backers in the comment section, it must be said), instead opting to expand the game later on.

The solo part is possible through a card deck that sets the opponent's actions. Many co-op games have similar options (Shadows over Camelot, for example, also Sentinels of the Multiverse).

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users