• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MINECRAFT Pixelated Crack

#261 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

The problem with the staircase around the shaft is that you can't put actual stairs on the blocks because they'll just rotate outward(so the steps face the center shaft) as soon as you place them. I'm hoping Notch implements the ability to rotate blocks soon so you don't have to jump through hoops to have a staircase going down a shaft like that. To build mine, I had to have a central pillar - otherwise the staircase blocks would rotate and be useless.

#262 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Attached File  minecraft 1.png (140.41K)
Number of downloads: 0
This is mine. A staircase. Decided this was the best format, seeing how I´m generally walking around as if drunk. May excavate the middle 3x3 blocks and replace them with glass on the side, then have something pour down the middle.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#263 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

I am having the best time with this game. Stupid amounts of fun. Also, fuck you apt, for suggesting that I watch X's adventures. I could not NOT buy this game.

I've claimed a good-sized mountain where I built my first fort. The main part of the mountain has a spiraling staircase going down through it at the moment, with windows at each level so I can look out upon my domain. I built a lumber camp at the base of a hill nearby where there is an extensive forest, then spent the better part of an evening digging a 2x1 tunnel all the way from the lumber camp back to the mountain fastness.

My first work was to build a giant staircase to the centre of the earth, and branch out from there looking for resources. Turns out I didn't find too much actually...I was a bit disappointed. The few caverns I did run into had resources galore, but random mining through rock, gravel and dirt did little but eat up time. You can find a fair bit of coal in solid rock, but precious few diamonds, gold or iron. My next task (now that I've mined myself a set of steel armor and a diamond sword) is to head off toward a giant spewing volcano on the next island and see if I can find a better cavern over there.

I've also been cooking up huge amounts of cobblestone into hard stone blocks to build my castle. I don't want no budget cobblestone castle when this is all finished.

I might actually build the castle on top of the volcano, that would be hella sweet.

Did anybody else leave their first shelter intact? I couldn't bring myself to tear it down in the end. Other than a narrow staircase leading to the main complex my original living quarters are untouched.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#264 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

Oh wow. Just watched a youtube vid where a guy put a furnace in a minecart, which equals choo choo train.

Holy shit, I gotta mine some more steel and put one in the connector tunnel between the main castle and the lumber camp. COOL.

IMAGINE...not having to hold the W key the entire way through that tunnel anymore. Think of how much wear and tear I'll save on my keyboard and fingertips!
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#265 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 24 September 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

I am having the best time with this game. Stupid amounts of fun. Also, fuck you apt, for suggesting that I watch X's adventures. I could not NOT buy this game.

I've claimed a good-sized mountain where I built my first fort. The main part of the mountain has a spiraling staircase going down through it at the moment, with windows at each level so I can look out upon my domain. I built a lumber camp at the base of a hill nearby where there is an extensive forest, then spent the better part of an evening digging a 2x1 tunnel all the way from the lumber camp back to the mountain fastness.

My first work was to build a giant staircase to the centre of the earth, and branch out from there looking for resources. Turns out I didn't find too much actually...I was a bit disappointed. The few caverns I did run into had resources galore, but random mining through rock, gravel and dirt did little but eat up time. You can find a fair bit of coal in solid rock, but precious few diamonds, gold or iron. My next task (now that I've mined myself a set of steel armor and a diamond sword) is to head off toward a giant spewing volcano on the next island and see if I can find a better cavern over there.

I've also been cooking up huge amounts of cobblestone into hard stone blocks to build my castle. I don't want no budget cobblestone castle when this is all finished.

I might actually build the castle on top of the volcano, that would be hella sweet.

Did anybody else leave their first shelter intact? I couldn't bring myself to tear it down in the end. Other than a narrow staircase leading to the main complex my original living quarters are untouched.

Well, when I spawned, the first things I saw were a floating island and 3 large mountains with exposed rock/coal/iron surrounding an inland sea. I immediately knew this was home and proceeded to dig out a room in the largest mountain. From there, I've been expanding and connecting the floating island to the mountains, etc. I never had to think about destroying my first shelter because I'm still in it :)

And I'm jealous of the volcano. I haven't seen lava topside, yet.

Tapper, that's quite the roomy stairwell you have!

#266 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

The bigger I make it, the less chance I'll miss out on caves, and the more stone to burn on other projects :)
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#267 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

@tapper

That's been my philosophy. My staircase to the centre of the earth is a 3x3 decreasing in depth by 1 square with each square moved forward. Then I dig out to 4x high along 1 edge and put the cobblestone stairway down that. Asymmetric, but it's pretty boss.

I've also gotten in the habit of putting a furnace, chest and workstation at each corner in the staircase, and at the entrance of each cave system or major branch in a tunnel. Saves a lot of running to fab new pics and swords. At first I thought it was silly that I saved ALL that stone in chests at each fork in the road, but now I'm pretty stoked I did because a stone castle is going to take a shit-ton of stone to complete.

I've also gotten in the habit of making beacon towers to show visited areas and interesting stuff I find in my outdoor travels. Basically put up a cobblestone tower 1x1x4 (or more as the situation requires) and cover the pinnacle in torches. It's an easy mark day or night that way, plus it looks really neat when viewed from one of my observation windows on top of "home mounttain"

Anybody find a good use for gravel yet other than attractive carpet-like flooring that goes "swish swish" when you step on it?

EDIT: yes I know there's flint inside. Figured that out from X's adventures.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 24 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#268 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 24 September 2010 - 07:23 PM, said:

Anybody find a good use for gravel yet other than attractive carpet-like flooring that goes "swish swish" when you step on it?

I intend on using either gravel or sand to simulate a bed once I start putting together the living quarters of my shelter. Then I'm going to use obsidian to simulate a big screen tv and start making bookshelves and pictures - I recently saw someone on the minecraft reddit talking about how the large pictures make great secret passages because if you hang them on a wall but mine all but one block from behind them, you can walk through the picture.

ETA: X's Adventures frustrate me sometimes. He'll walk right by exactly what he's looking for, sometimes, or bypass tempting, explorable areas for silly reasons. I've watched up through episode 28 or so, though, so at least he's entertaining!

This post has been edited by Tarcanus: 24 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

#269 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

MUHAHAHAHA... but seriously don't blame me when your wife leaves you and you get fired from your job because of all those sick days.

Silly Cerveza. Have you not tried out any of the Texture packs yet? In the Zelda texture pack cobble stones look like beautifully stacked slabs of granite. It's awesome.

The Apt Tower stands over the sight of my old hovel. Its walls in the foundation started out as a perimeter around my wooden house and just grew into the sky.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 24 September 2010 - 07:23 PM, said:

I've also gotten in the habit of putting a furnace, chest and workstation at each corner in the staircase, and at the entrance of each cave system or major branch in a tunnel. Saves a lot of running to fab new pics and swords. At first I thought it was silly that I saved ALL that stone in chests at each fork in the road, but now I'm pretty stoked I did because a stone castle is going to take a shit-ton of stone to complete.

Indeed. I've filled up several big chests with stone and dirt and then emptied them again during the progress of my builds. Currently, my massive trench outside the Tower has filled up 4 big chests just with cobble, 3 with dirt and gravel and another 2 with sand.

Gravel can be used to descend from high points. If you can't see and obvious way down just drop gravel over the side until the stack reaches you and you can descend down it by digging downb through it.

It is also great for reclaiming land if you're trying to expand your coast line. It soaks up or displaces the water leaving you nice new land to dig up or build upon.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

#270 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

So, with a multiplayer game, would we all start from scratch, or would it simply connect worlds that we have already made?

anyone know?
meh. Link was dead :(

#271 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Brown and Bloom - Damn this texture pack looks impressiv

EDIT:

View PostCocoreturns, on 24 September 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

So, with a multiplayer game, would we all start from scratch, or would it simply connect worlds that we have already made?

anyone know?

I know you can import other peoples worlds when playing solo. I bet you could do the same in MP but I'm just guessing.

But wouldn't it be much more fun to find a new world that we could all explore together for the first time.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

#272 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 September 2010 - 07:46 PM, said:

But wouldn't it be much more fun to find a new world that we could all explore together for the first time.

that's what i was thinking. and considering the various time differences on this forum, it could end up that we have people playing for most of the day solidly.
meh. Link was dead :(

#273 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'm still in my first shelter - when I first spawned, there was a mountain with lava pouring out of the top, on one side, so I used that one. Ive since channelled the lava flow round one side, with a kazud-dum bridge over it, and build a modest fort on top, with a tall lookout tower on one corner, torches round the windows, and a tree growing out of the top, like The Castle In the Sky.

Looks cool at night from a distance - the lava and torches can be seen for miles! Has anyone tried using a bucket to scoop a lava source block? I managed to make a waterfall, maybe you can make your own volcano.

I need some diamonds now...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#274 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

Woah, first time I've looked at the forum all day and I've been missing out on good conversation!...I'll come and contribute shortly, whilst minecrafting into the early hours of the morning. :)

My project still needs a lot of work - only just completed the floor and I'm needing stone at the moment, then I'll be needing shit loads of sand...ought to designate space for a quarry somewhere as I'm desperately low on iron and coal now, too.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#275 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

Surely this topic needs Pinning? This game is all kinds of huge.
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#276 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

Posted Image

#277 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

"At least I got chicken."

I've always thought that was staged just to make a good video...
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#278 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Man, I was just killed in the depths of massive cave I found. Somehow one of those exploding things appeared behind me even though I made sure to put up plenty of light as I explored.

Still, no problem I thought. I needed some wood anyways and this saves me walking back up for it. However, when I got back down, all my stuff was gone. My diamond pickax, my diamond sword, the iron ore I had found. The ten blocks of obsidian I had mined. All gone :)

I consider just starting a new game, but I kinda want to wait until we get a server going :)
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#279 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yes, the Leeroy video is staged. But the guy even got into the in-game achievements, so shush :)

I might, just MIGHT go back to this. Maaaaybe. Damn it.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#280 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostTarcanus, on 24 September 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

THat's a bit ridiculous, actually. It only took my maybe 20 minutes to hit bottom, if that - it didn't seem that long. Are you tunneling from the top of a huge mountain? Maybe that explains it.

View PostMTS, on 24 September 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

Not that I'm aware of - I'm about 15 squares above sea level, and my tunnel is ~63 squares deep.

There is exactly 128 blocks between the bottom of the world and the worlds ceiling. So, if you start at sea level there is at max 64 blocks to the bottom. This is because of the way the game loads and generates the world. Notch has considered increasing the depth and hight of the world but this will drastically increase the demands on the computers processing power.

Personally I find it comforting knowing that I'm never more than 60-50 blocks from daylight, but still, if they raised the limit we could have much bigger open caves.

View PostMorgoth, on 25 September 2010 - 10:04 AM, said:

Man, I was just killed in the depths of massive cave I found. Somehow one of those exploding things appeared behind me even though I made sure to put up plenty of light as I explored.

Still, no problem I thought. I needed some wood anyways and this saves me walking back up for it. However, when I got back down, all my stuff was gone. My diamond pickax, my diamond sword, the iron ore I had found. The ten blocks of obsidian I had mined. All gone :)

I consider just starting a new game, but I kinda want to wait until we get a server going :)

Take a break, watch a minecraft video with some inspiring gameplay or structures and you'll be right back at it. I realised a while ago that compared to a lot of the maps I've seen generated, my starting area is quite boring, but since I've done so much exploring and building I now feel completely attached to my home inside the game.

View PostGothos, on 25 September 2010 - 10:25 AM, said:

I might, just MIGHT go back to this. Maaaaybe. Damn it.

Of course you will. Your journey has just begun, proud dwarf of the middle earth.

Share this topic:

• 215 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users