• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cell Phones

#81 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Battery has been crapping out on my Nexus 4 so that is main reason for upgrade. Plus Id rather pay for a phone off contract, and there aren't many choices in Canada for unlocked non crapware bloated ones.

From the one video I have seen the new Lumia does look very interesting. The new Blackberry Priv is what interest me the most but there are rumors that it will be $950 CAD and that's just way too much.
No Touchy.

#82 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

I've upgraded recently to a HTC One M9 from my old Nokia C3-00. Internet is so much easier and GPS is handy when out the country but not really used much else. I'm still adapting to needing to charge it often rather than the once a week I used to manage. It was rather handy for honeymoon photos as my normal camera seems to be having colour temperature issues.

Spoilered for size:
Spoiler

"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#83 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Is that where the honeymoon "magic" happened 😉
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#84 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

I kept looking at the bush, but never found the beavers.

Man, I am on FIRE tonight!

Super jealous, btw
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#85 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Oh shit, got an email the phone was delivered. Even more excited to leave work.
No Touchy.

#86 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

Alright, so I have been messing around with the phone for a while and overall like it. The fingerprint scanner is awesome. There is just one REALLY annoying thing about it, and its the vibration noise/intensity. Seems like its a bit too strong and makes a mosquito like sound every time it goes off. Guess I will have to learn to live with it.
No Touchy.

#87 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 22 October 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

Alright, so I have been messing around with the phone for a while and overall like it. The fingerprint scanner is awesome. There is just one REALLY annoying thing about it, and its the vibration noise/intensity. Seems like its a bit too strong and makes a mosquito like sound every time it goes off. Guess I will have to learn to live with it.

Is it that type of vibration that the phone will vibrate itself off the table?

Hows the battery?

#88 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, vibration could be at like 70%. Battery is not bad. Hard for me to judge what is good as my old phone needed to be constantly charged. Got it yesterday with 70% charge and messed with it around 6 - 11. Left it overnight and and it was at 40%. Charged it for 5 min today morning and the fast charging got it to 50% in 5 min.

It is very light. I got the white version and the plastic back feels smooth and a bit cheap, but not bad. I will be putting a case on it so it doesn't bother me too much. Apparently the black version is a bit more rubber like. Camera takes 1-2 sec to open from locked state which is nice. It focuses and snaps the pics fast as well. Cant comment on speakers yet.

Had to cut my sim card down to fit, kinda did a shit job but I shoved it in and it seems to work.

Most important thing is that it will always be the first to get new android versions for a long ass time without any bloatware.

Overall satisfied. Wouldn't want anything larger than this. No idea how people can use those giant ass phones comfortably.
No Touchy.

#89 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A. I couldn't justify the price of the S5/6, whereas I get this for about £20 per month. It's decent.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#90 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3. It makes calls, sends texts and even takes pictures! Since I only connect to the data wifi thingy to receive or send pics, then switch it off again, my battery when at home lasts nearly a week. Over here I only use it as an alarm clock so it lasts weeks between charges.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#91 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 23 October 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

Yeah, vibration could be at like 70%. Battery is not bad. Hard for me to judge what is good as my old phone needed to be constantly charged. Got it yesterday with 70% charge and messed with it around 6 - 11. Left it overnight and and it was at 40%. Charged it for 5 min today morning and the fast charging got it to 50% in 5 min.

It is very light. I got the white version and the plastic back feels smooth and a bit cheap, but not bad. I will be putting a case on it so it doesn't bother me too much. Apparently the black version is a bit more rubber like. Camera takes 1-2 sec to open from locked state which is nice. It focuses and snaps the pics fast as well. Cant comment on speakers yet.

Had to cut my sim card down to fit, kinda did a shit job but I shoved it in and it seems to work.

Most important thing is that it will always be the first to get new android versions for a long ass time without any bloatware.

Overall satisfied. Wouldn't want anything larger than this. No idea how people can use those giant ass phones comfortably.

How is screen on time? I welcome any other useful info you would share too.

Looking for new android phone right now, 5x being on top of my price range along with Moto X Play which are my favourites. I'm still kinda open to new options but I don't see any other phone rivalling those two for me.
Never liked Samsung's, prefer my choices over all the LGs in price range, don't want Sony for a reason, don't want HTC or Huawei, don't have trust for any other brand.

Recently both MXPlay and 5x went down with price significantly here and actually cost exactly the same now.

I prefer smaller phones aswell (biggest phone I've ever had was iPhone 5), but although MXP has 5,5" instead of 5x's 5,2" they're almost same size so I think in this case MXP wins, quality of both displays should be quite good and comparable.

I prefer 5x's camera despite it's 12Mpx vs MPX's 21Mpx, day shots are comparable but in low light conditions MPX's shots are dark, grainy and lack detail so 5x wins this.

5x has Snapdragon 808 against MXP's 615, 5x clearly wins here. All MXP users report occasional presence of microlag, 5x should be smoother, although with Marshmallow update performance should be better on MXP than it was.

Battery...MXP has one of the best battery lifes out there, while 5x is descirbed as average, from what I've seen people get around 3-4 hours of SoT with 5x, with MXp it's 5-6...up to 8... I'm not sure if 5x's battery is acceptable for me, had it had a little bit more of capacity I really wouldn't know which one to choose. 5x has turbochrager in package, but with USBc calbe I'd have to buy additional cable. MXP is turbocharger compatible but they don't ship it with it, I don't really find this as neccesarity as I rarely charge my phone at other time than overnight.

Nexus has fingerprint which I like, MXP is splash resistant which I like too, those 2 things negate each other for me.

Nexus has guaranteed asap OS updates, Motorola used to be on roughly same level with this, but under Lenovo they started to stumble a bit, not really a big deal for me. MPX motion gestures to open flashlight and camera, which I like but not a big deal either.

MXP should have better sound quality, both with speakers and headphones which is welcome.

As for build, I really love MXP's rubber back and shape, don't really care about weight. 5x is ok.

Specs I skipped I either don't care about or are same on both phones.

Basically I wish they took 5x processor, camera, fingerprint and updates and put it into MXP body.

Any advice is welcome, but I'm just thinking out loud, I had to write my thoughts down somewhere.

This post has been edited by Itwas Nom: 21 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

I say go for the Moto. I am pretty sure it will have better battery life, plus it has an expandable storage slot

#93 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

I say go for the Moto. I am pretty sure it will have better battery life, plus it has an expandable storage slot

Yeah the battery life is significantly better

Whichever I'll buy it will be 16GB version because of budget, where the expandable storage slot would be a big plus for a lot of people. But I doubt I'll fill even those 10 or so gigs that are open for user data, I don't download tons of apps, don't watch movies on phone so I think it will be enough for photos, videos and music. I never got close to filling my 16GB iPhone.

#94 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Do not underestimate how much music you can have.
This Xmas I replaced the micro SD from my BB Q10 from 16 gigs to 32 gigs, and it's already almost full. The only thing I use it for is music.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#95 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostMentalist, on 21 March 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

This Xmas I replaced the micro SD from my BB Q10 from 16 gigs to 32 gigs, and it's already almost full. The only thing I use it for is music.

I use a 32 gb one myself. I have upwards of 10 gb music

#96 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well, music I currently have on my phone takes roughly 1GB(~200 songs). Overall all the music I got into my phone over last 9 months has under 3GB(~550 songs), but I delete stuff I don't listen anymore off my phone.

Do I have low sound quality copies or y'all that much music?

#97 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostItwas Nom, on 21 March 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Well, music I currently have on my phone takes roughly 1GB(~200 songs). Overall all the music I got into my phone over last 9 months has under 3GB(~550 songs), but I delete stuff I don't listen anymore off my phone.

Well I only listen to Mp3s on my phone. And I have steadily increased my music listening over the years - around 8 years ago I would have has around 1 GB, but it has grown

#98 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Well I only listen to Mp3s on my phone. And I have steadily increased my music listening over the years - around 8 years ago I would have has around 1 GB, but it has grown

Same. I load up on mp3s. Back in the days of my first smartphones, I used to have 100-500 songs. But my last few employers have Internet monitoring, so I can't stream music off the net while working. I've been loading up my phone and leaving it playing all day on shuffle.

I currently have 3556 songs on my phone, :)

Is that a lot? :)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#99 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostMentalist, on 21 March 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Same. I load up on mp3s. Back in the days of my first smartphones, I used to have 100-500 songs. But my last few employers have Internet monitoring, so I can't stream music off the net while working. I've been loading up my phone and leaving it playing all day on shuffle.

I currently have 3556 songs on my phone, :)

Is that a lot? :)

3500 - this is now my goal.

All day shuffle - insane battery or desk charger?

And did you say you had a Blackberry?

#100 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

I got a new 7 edge this weekend. Very, very happy with it.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users