• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cell Phones

#41 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 27 July 2010 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 23 July 2010 - 06:00 AM, said:

My problem with smartphones isn't with what they can do, they are very useful tools. My issue is what they do to the people who buy them. Everyone I know who has gotten a smartphone has become a less interesting person to be around. Car rides that used to be filled with conversation have become me driving people around who are checking their email. Back when I still smoked, standing outside for a smoke went from five minutes of talking and joking to five minutes of me watching someone check their facebook in silence. I understand there are compelling things on the internet, but having constant access is making people into boring zombies.

exactly. Fuck smartphones.

View PostFist Gamet, on 24 July 2010 - 04:12 PM, said:

Well, things are now a little clearer on the 3g 4g thingymijig, but I am stuffed if I know what phone to upgrade to. Must do more research.

Here are some examples of way better things to waste money on.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

I wish you the best in your decision NOT to buy a smartphone and instead use the money on a flat of beer and one of the above examples.

Seriously...

Dude, a man after my own heart. Power tools are great. Seriously, I think I want that damned power drill. I got this pretty funky hammer drill but that thing kicks its ass. Best purchase of last year was an angle grinder, those bastard rusty nails and screws that some numpty had driven through the fence, fence post and wall in the once-awful mess that had been my garden gate didn't know what hit them. Sparky spark spark and a shower of molten metal...bet you don't have an app for that!
Victory is mine!

#42 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

@smartphones

Renewed hate after last night at the bar. 1/2 the people my table of about 20 buddies were on the damn things all night while the non-smartphone users had to talk around them. I swear its brainwashing...like all of a sudden a signal will go out over the 3G networks and they start trying to kill us.

@Gamet

Yes.

Angle grinder is something I have yet to purchase, though its on the list.

The current list in terms of priority is

1- Safety guards + carbide blade for my tablesaw
2- Drill press (cheap or used one)
3- Random orbit sander
4- Angle Grinder.
5- Router

And that drill is indeed awesome and I *almost* bought it...but then DeWalt has a kit of a plain 18V screwdriver and a separate hammer drill that operates off the same 18V battery. This I'd argue is the better purchase since the all-in-one drills often have pussy plastic hammer clutches inside that break after brief use. Having them separate means you get a perfectly good, infinitely useful lightweight power drill and a separate power drill you don't care if you break for the odd occasion you need hammer capability.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#43 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 July 2010 - 11:48 AM, said:

And that drill is indeed awesome and I *almost* bought it...but then DeWalt has a kit of a plain 18V screwdriver and a separate hammer drill that operates off the same 18V battery. This I'd argue is the better purchase since the all-in-one drills often have pussy plastic hammer clutches inside that break after brief use. Having them separate means you get a perfectly good, infinitely useful lightweight power drill and a separate power drill you don't care if you break for the odd occasion you need hammer capability.

Ryobi. My dad uses one of their drill's with hammer drill function for his work, and despite being an electrician he uses the drill on stuff a *lot*. Just yesterday, in fact, I had to drill like four holes in a concrete wall (appropriate tungsten-tip bit, ofc) with it. It is now....two? Two years old and still going strong. Wonderful drill. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#44 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

I have a Xperia X10 Mini Pro, and I effin love it! I have downloaded Kindle for Android and now get to read Return of the Crimson Guard, for example, on my phone! Fantastic!!

I also downloaded an app that lets me access and edit my google docs on my phone, which basically means I can write a whole damn book on my phone...which I intend to do!

In short: I love Android!
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#45 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

From what I've seen of the Xperia X10i (the larger one) it was a bit laggy at times - something which I think is the greatest downfall of most smartphones...you notice that at all with the mini?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#46 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

View PostSilencer, on 02 August 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

From what I've seen of the Xperia X10i (the larger one) it was a bit laggy at times - something which I think is the greatest downfall of most smartphones...you notice that at all with the mini?

No, not really:)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#47 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

:p

Will have to look into it then. Oh, wait, I don't have the disposable cash. :p

Shinrei said:

#48 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

Due an upgrade in dec, thinking of getting the x10.
From what I've read the lag problems have been helped with the upgrade to android 2.1
The other issue seems to be call volume, anyone know if this has been resolved?

#49 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

Due an phone upgrade now. If I want the HTC or an I Phone then it will cost me £100 + but if I wait until my contract runs out in Jan then I get it for free.

Orange are useless.

Still based upon this thread and what I myself have heard I will probably go for the HTC Megatron phone.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#50 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 November 2010 - 02:54 PM, said:

Due an upgrade in dec, thinking of getting the x10.
From what I've read the lag problems have been helped with the upgrade to android 2.1
The other issue seems to be call volume, anyone know if this has been resolved?

I've just ordered a x10 mini yesterday. I'll let you know when I get it (but I think they OK'd that in some of the reviews I've read.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#51 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I love my GalaxyS. Like Grim, Android is teh awesome.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#52 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Tapper.

You have a Galaxy S?

I.

Hate.

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless you give me one too).

Shinrei said:

#53 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

View PostSilencer, on 24 November 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

Tapper.

You have a Galaxy S?

I.

Hate.

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless you give me one too).

Does the secret handshake.
Oh, you don't know it?

Pauper :)

It is one amazing phone.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#54 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

what is this galaxy you speak of
Tell me your secrets!!!

#55 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

I would definitely take the galaxy S over the X10 - way better hardware and a much better update cycle. Plus SAMOLED screens are just sexy.

There is also the Desire HD, which I have heard is not bad, but personally I would go for the galaxy

This post has been edited by alt146: 25 November 2010 - 06:49 AM

[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#56 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

Loving my new iPhone. I'm no apple fanboy but this is a sweet phone. Haters gonna hate though.
Error: Signature not valid

#57 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

I have had the iphone for 18 months and when our contract is up will probably go with the Galaxy rather then up grading to the 4. Andriod just seems like a much better OP. A lot more stable and faster.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#58 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

called into the o2 shop on saturday for a few minutes for a wee nosey.
contracts due dec 7th, but I'll not be getting until dec 18th due to not being home.
now.
There was the HTC windows hd7 there switched on, and I did a bit of playing about with it, being able to open office files appeals greatly to me for work related e-mails.
I will go do a bit of googling for reviews at some stage today, I'm just curios if anyone has one and could tell em their thoughts on it.
It's down to an X10 or this hd7 windows phone now I think, although everyone does seem to rave about the android software

#59 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 November 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

called into the o2 shop on saturday for a few minutes for a wee nosey.
contracts due dec 7th, but I'll not be getting until dec 18th due to not being home.
now.
There was the HTC windows hd7 there switched on, and I did a bit of playing about with it, being able to open office files appeals greatly to me for work related e-mails.
I will go do a bit of googling for reviews at some stage today, I'm just curios if anyone has one and could tell em their thoughts on it.
It's down to an X10 or this hd7 windows phone now I think, although everyone does seem to rave about the android software

If you are going for Android, I would again recommend the Galaxy S over the X10 - better hardware, much better screen and a newer version of android. There are free programs on Android that let you open word and excel documents, although editing documents is usually reserved for paid apps.

I have not used a Windows Phone 7 phone, but it sounds like the user interface is love it or hate it. Personally I wouldnt be able to stand the fact that bits of the title are cut off in the menues that pan, but that is very much a personal thing. The other thing I have read is that the multitasking is a bit iffy (no easy way to switch between running programs), but I think that someone who has used the phone will have a better idea how much of a drawback that really is.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#60 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

I am still loving my Samsung Propel.
though not a smartphone per say, it's a handy piece of hardware. lets me dot he basics (check email, use Google maps and browse), and now that i've bought a memory card, it stores 40 h of music.

I can't help but feel that if I had a proper smartphone, I'd spend too much time playing with it.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users