• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 21 March 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostItwas Nom, on 21 March 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 21 March 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Do not underestimate how much music you can have.
This Xmas I replaced the micro SD from my BB Q10 from 16 gigs to 32 gigs, and it's already almost full. The only thing I use it for is music.

I use a 32 gb one myself. I have upwards of 10 gb music

Well, music I currently have on my phone takes roughly 1GB(~200 songs). Overall all the music I got into my phone over last 9 months has under 3GB(~550 songs), but I delete stuff I don't listen anymore off my phone.

Do I have low sound quality copies or y'all that much music?

Well I only listen to Mp3s on my phone. And I have steadily increased my music listening over the years - around 8 years ago I would have has around 1 GB, but it has grown

Same. I load up on mp3s. Back in the days of my first smartphones, I used to have 100-500 songs. But my last few employers have Internet monitoring, so I can't stream music off the net while working. I've been loading up my phone and leaving it playing all day on shuffle.

I currently have 3556 songs on my phone, :)

Is that a lot? :)

3500 - this is now my goal.

All day shuffle - insane battery or desk charger?

And did you say you had a Blackberry?

Yeah, CrackBerry Q10. It CAN run on battery all day, provided I don't browse the net. But since I usually do, the micro-USB-to-USB charger is hooked into my work PC.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#102 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

I got a Nexus 6P a month ago. This thing is amazing, although a bit large for some people's tastes/hands. Moved up to this from a Galaxy S3 that killed a third battery.

The volume of the sound booth in call and playing video/sound matters to me more than the average person due to being deaf. This has got me covered.

Cutting down my micro SIM to a nano SIM was easy enough. Had to do it myself BC my network does not officially support my phone, and that extends to not providing tech support in the form of issuing a new nano SIM or cutting it there at the store. Did it with scissors and careful eyeballing. Zero problems once the nano went in.

The screen is tremendous. The speed of transitions and app performance is very good as well. I don't use nearly as much music storage as some of you do, so the external storage lack is not a problem.

The one criticism I do have is that the "standard" case that I ordered with the phone makes it difficult to take a screenshot. The backside of the case being covered with a felt-like material is a great innovation though.

All in all, very much worth the 500 dollars.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#103 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:54 AM

I have a Nexus 6P and it is the best phone I have ever had. At one point I thought I would stick with Samsung (the Note 3 was well good) but I'm so glad I made the change. Splashed out extra for the biggest size and I have near-unlimited data so it's just about perfect!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#104 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Also on the 6P bandwagon. I loved my HTC One M8, but it had no major benefits over the newer phone and was starting to struggle with the lack of updates and a few annoying quirks from the HTC proprietary apps, so I upgraded.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#105 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

Finally had enough of o2 and their bullshit so made the jump to 3 today.
As I was stsrting a new (and cheaper and better) contract I decided to go for a new handset as well.
Finally decided also to break with windows phone, I loved the ui on it and have been using it for years (5 at least) but its looking increasingly like microsoft is slowly pulling its paws out of the market and theres no point getting a new handset that wont recieve decent upgrades and the app gap will surely bot close now.

So I nkw have an android phone.
I immeadiately dislike it, so much mkre cluttered and less intuitive than WP is. But I aint go ios so I better get used to it.
Have downloaded the usual suspects, whatsapp, evernote and the like.
Any useful apps I shoukd be aware of? Any good tips on things to shut down for battery life etc?

Eta - also, how does one turn autocorrect on? Im always quite clumsy in my typing on a phone.

This post has been edited by Macros: 05 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

#106 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 05 September 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

As I was stsrting a new (and cheaper and better) contract I decided to go for a new handset as well.
Finally decided also to break with windows phone, I loved the ui on it and have been using it for years (5 at least) but its looking increasingly like microsoft is slowly pulling its paws out of the market and theres no point getting a new handset that wont recieve decent upgrades and the app gap will surely bot close now.

I immeadiately dislike it, so much mkre cluttered and less intuitive than WP is. But I aint go ios so I better get used to it.
Any useful apps I shoukd be aware of? Any good tips on things to shut down for battery life etc?

Eta - also, how does one turn autocorrect on? Im always quite clumsy in my typing on a phone.

Autocorrect should be in keyboard options.

What do you usually do on your phone? There are Apps on Android for everything.

A good tip for battery saving is to go to Wifi Settings and turn off the option for automatic scanning for wifi networks

#107 User is online   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Also download something like DU battery saver. One click turns off everything that's running in the background.

Depending on the phone you could also download Nova Launcher. It's very intuitive and gives a ton of custom options.

I have a samsung, and I use the swipe texting - with the suggested corrections above. It's in the settings/keyboard menu.

Also I'm with 3 - good coverage, had no problem with them in 3 years.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#108 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostTraveller, on 05 September 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Also download something like DU battery saver. One click turns off everything that's running in the background.

Depending on the phone you could also download Nova Launcher. It's very intuitive and gives a ton of custom options.

I have a samsung, and I use the swipe texting - with the suggested corrections above. It's in the settings/keyboard menu.

Also I'm with 3 - good coverage, had no problem with them in 3 years.

I would hold off on the DU. That company's apps spread a lot of ads and their functionality is questionable.

Nova Launcher is excellent and I always recommend Swiftkey as a keyboard

#109 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostMacros, on 05 September 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Ok.

So nobody is going with the "big hands" joke here?

Seriously?

This post has been edited by Solidsnape: 05 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#110 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

These days, getting battery life isn't about downloading battery saver apps. It's about curtailing your internet usage (chews up your battery the most beyond actual talking on phone) and turning off wifi when traveling.

I wouldn't waste time on a battery saver app at all today.

You may want to get a barcode scanner for the rare occasion when you'll need it and maybe a good timer app for workouts.

#111 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

I always knew wp was behind in the app store front but my god, so many things I was using the mobile website for have really good apps on android.
Memrize, the website is very functional on the mobile browser but the app is superb, you're able to download entire courses over wifi so yiu can have it ready anywhere, signal or no.
Still not a fan of the UI, but from a diversity angle the range of options is superb

#112 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 September 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I always knew wp was behind in the app store front but my god, so many things I was using the mobile website for have really good apps on android.
Memrize, the website is very functional on the mobile browser but the app is superb, you're able to download entire courses over wifi so yiu can have it ready anywhere, signal or no.
Still not a fan of the UI, but from a diversity angle the range of options is superb

It's why I went to Nexus. It's the Android OS (which I'm a huge fan of, so maybe I'm bias) without all the bumff that other people (Samsung is very guilty of this) puts on. It's a nice, clean phone.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#113 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Does Samsung or any other Android brand have any phones that are not touchscreen and have actual buttons?

I love my Q10 dearly, but the aux port is pretty much destroyed, which makes using wired headphones a pain. But I don't want to go bluetooth, as I really prefer earbuds to anything big and bulky covering my head (that's where the sunglasses go).

It's only a matter of time untill the aux port gives out completely, and as of the end of the year WhatsApp I no longer gonna be supporting BlackBerry 10 OS, so I need to be moving on, but I remain fanatically opposed to touchscreen only phones. I also really don't want a big phone, because they don't fit in front pockets well.

Itoys are not an option, b/c touchscreen and interface. I had to install WhatsApp on my dad's phone recently, and I almost took a sledgehammer to it in frustration at how obtuse it can be.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 06 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

#114 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

There are Bluetooth earbuds now. Also, most phone companies have moved past the physical buttons for "back", "home", "window" etc. It's easier to maximize the screen and to not have to troubleshoot physical buttons.

As for which still have buttons, I suggest you do a bunch of research on your own to find what fits you best.

#115 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

I mean touchscreen has come on a long way. I used to hate it but I am loving it now. I don't know how many actually have buttons but presumably there are still some out there.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#116 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostMentalist, on 06 September 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

Does Samsung or any other Android brand have any phones that are not touchscreen and have actual buttons?

I love my Q10 dearly, but the aux port is pretty much destroyed, which makes using wired headphones a pain. But I don't want to go bluetooth, as I really prefer earbuds to anything big and bulky covering my head (that's where the sunglasses go).

It's only a matter of time untill the aux port gives out completely, and as of the end of the year WhatsApp I no longer gonna be supporting BlackBerry 10 OS, so I need to be moving on, but I remain fanatically opposed to touchscreen only phones. I also really don't want a big phone, because they don't fit in front pockets well.

Itoys are not an option, b/c touchscreen and interface. I had to install WhatsApp on my dad's phone recently, and I almost took a sledgehammer to it in frustration at how obtuse it can be.

get yourself as set of KS outrun bluetooth headphones. not the best on the market by any measure but really comfy, decent sound, solid battery life and cheap cheap. and have the internal ear rubber spring over the horrid over ear clip, I loved mine before I lost them. eneded up buying a set of urbanista bostons on the plane out snowboarding then. they're ok, but were more expensive and the control button/ battery is just a little bit more bulky. KS weigh virtually nothing and still have a joining lead that you can clip onto your shirt collar (I don't trust myself with individual bluetooth buds, certain to lose one)

eta - these bad boys
this is the set I had, but I got them for £30 somewhere, might have been a sale.
also this was 2/3 years ago, so possibly the whole field has come down in price so that a better spec might now be the same price. but they were so light and comfortable

This post has been edited by Macros: 06 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

#117 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Maccy. Couldn`t find those in Canada. Ended up ordering a pair of Sharper Image Sport from BestBuy- I like the action clip design, because it`s easier to go biking with them not having to worry about the headphones falling off.

#118 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

View PostHigh Geek of Crawfish, on 02 October 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

I'm gonna give iPhone one last chance but if this next one doesn't capture my sunset pics right I'm out and moving onwards.

Come to android BK

#119 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

I'm being forced to upgrade from my Q10, because as of new year, lots of stuff is phasing out support for BB.

So I'm looking @ a Priv, since they're on sale from BB direct right now.

Anyone tried one?

#120 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

What is a Priv? EDIT: A Blackberry? I wasn't even aware they sold those things outside the US. Don't think I've ever seen one in Denmark.

This post has been edited by Apt: 24 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users