Malazan Empire: So what do you think of NoK? - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what do you think of NoK?

#21 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

Excellent book have just finished it really enjoyed it the style was great even if it is pricey it was so worth it.

#22 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:33 AM

Thanks to ChrisW for the loan.

Excellent read! Reminded me of what engaged my interest when I started GotM, so you can see his influence in that book.

Thoroughly recommend it, although unless the price comes down on subsequent print runs, I'll wait a bit until I can justify geting a copy, even on my fulltime income. I WILL be getting a copy though, rest assured Neil and Pete. Posted Image

Now I want more, dammit. I've had my hit and the high, come down and now I crave another. Certainly would be an interesting pitch from a beggar - "Excuse me mate, but could you spare change for the latest Malazan book?". Although I think ho'ing my skinny butt out might be taking things a tad far. Posted Image

Cheers,

La In The Program Sombra
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   kettle 

• Fist

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:48 AM

well it's taken me a while to finish NoK due to rl interuptions, but I can say I really enjoyed the book, infact my only complaint would be that it wasn't longer Posted Imageit was well written and as Imperial Historian said a very similar style to SE, this is obviously due to their many years collaboration, so a big congratulations to ICE, now all he needs to do is write more books and get them published Posted Image sooner rather then later Posted Image

#24 User is offline   tickhill43 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:37 AM

How large is it? Is it around the size of Garden's? Or more like a Kearney novel? £35 is a lot of money for one book espically if it has a low word count.

#25 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:25 AM

Does anyone know if Clarkesworld still have available copies? And do they ship to Europe?

Though I figure if all the copies were bought off, they dont have a chance but reprint it at normal costs Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Paleman 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Just got my copy (403 of 500 signed).

Fid, seems different batches are sent from different locations.

Will let y'all know how it went for me just as soon as I get through it.

Oponn, I understand where you're coming from. Not sure if you're just a sceptic (although as a fellow N.Irishman it took quite a bit of deliberation to finally fork out the wedge for it myself).

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:15 AM

How large is it... it's 284 pages.
around an inch think and not a particularly large font size. It needs slow reading - there's a lot of info............ and if you're interested I posted a spoiler thread.

#28 Guest_korik_*

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

it seems amazon is gonna ship mine any day now... cant wait

#29 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

You can order via check as well... that's what i did anyway, and you can always order off amazon if you want to pay via credit card but it may be slightly more expensive.

#30 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:48 AM

I'm afraid I just simply refuse to pay the amount they're asking. I'm not willing to be so blatently ripped off.

#31 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:55 AM

Thoroughly enjoyable book, well written and of course finally more info about Dassem Posted Image

#32 Guest_Edge_*

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

After much deliberation I have given in and ordered it.

But the price - Euro 60 - and thats for the cheapest version Posted Image

No more new books for me for six months Posted Image

#33 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:30 AM

It is a great book, fast-paced and filled with action. It answers several questions and leaves a host of others ;-) Very good.

#34 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:00 AM

Having had time to reflect on it, I would unreservedly recommend everyone on the forum to get it, if they have the dish. Why?

Firstly, it is a cracking read and gives some nice little insisghts into characters that SE does not expand on in MBOTF. Read this and then head into GOTM and the prologue with Paran blurting out about Dassem comes into focus as well as the Bridgeburner and Imperial mage links - all enriching stuff.

Second, it encourages Cam to write more - he is not going to do the same stuff as SE and if he doesnt - SE won't - so if you want answers to questions then we need to encourage him.

Third - it stands up as a good book in its own right - if we get enough interest - maybe Transworld will take a chance on publishing him alongside SE in mainstream i.e. lower cost formats.

#35 User is offline   Paleman 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:38 AM

Just finished reading it and I thought it was superb. ICE's style of writing flows well and I think the book is a great addition to Malazan collective.

Was it worth the price?? For me yeah (I figured the cost of £35 + £2pp was the equivalent of approx. 15 pints of cider, so in my opinion the story was well worth it....and I didn't end up with a hangover.)

#36 Guest_OneWhoPullsTheWagon_*

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

The book was fast paced and introduced some really good characters and my favourites "The Brisgeburners" were in there, so that was good. Lots of history and lots of info, so overall a big sucess as far as I'm concerned. Story was brilliant especially the whole setting of the adventure ocurring over 24 hours. Recommend it to anyone, anyone have info on the next ICE novel?

Too expensive... £60 less than a night out as far as I see it!

#37 User is offline   Cluracan AbSylvas 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

I enjoyed the read, and my girlfriend (who just finished it) did too. I also felt the price was steep. But I liken the purchase to deciding to buy a more expensive beer (I like Stella, and can't stand Canadian), wine or food. Will I pay more for something I think I'll love, vs. merely drink/eat? You betcha.

I also feel like the $ were well spent, given that a sell-out might encourage publishing-type people to pick up ICE for further works, and wider distribution.

The nice thing is that the read, the info., the new characters and the pacing made this enjoyable. Oh yeah, and it took the edge off of the wait for BH.

-- Clu

#38 Guest_Ouki_*

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Read mine some time ago, but since I'm re-reading MoI and re-found the road to the forum my reply is somewhat late.

Liked it very much!

and it's still not sold out :D

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

OneWhoPullsTheWagon said:

anyone have info on the next ICE novel?

from the ICE interview
"As to the second half of the question, as you saw above, I have five Malazan novel projects of the original ones Steve and I sketched out (not counting NoK). One is written already and I am currently rewriting it to bring it up to speed."

but it's anyone's guess as to when that will be... Patch thinks it may be a while.. :D

#40 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:32 PM

:D and 'a while' in Patch's terms can be quite a long while... twould be cool if you could update us when you know more Hetan :D ...according to the interview his (i.e. ICE's) future Malazan installments will be fully fledged novels in SE's style (if I remember correctly and my brain does not just tell me things I wanna hear...), so that is definitely something to look forward to.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users