• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So what do you think of NoK?

#1 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

Alas...PS should sell at a much resonable price. Y hasn't it gone through their head that we'll buy if its a sensible pricePosted Image So...can anyone whose read it start posting spoilersPosted Image...we can always have a spoiler thread...i wanna KNOW!!!
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

Well I'm only half - way through because every time I settle down some b******comes knocking at the door or someone phones me up... Posted Image

So far, I think it's brill... It's like being given all your favourite ingredients but used in a different recipe, and it tastes good!
As IH says.. some answers to some questions...some great information....cool characters... but I gotta finish it.....
I'm also going to send an email to PS publishing by way of thanks... Posted Image they may be making some money out of it, but it's made me very happy.

#3 Guest_korik_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

grrr Posted Image

how come you guys have all got your copies and mine is yet to arrive. i ordered off amazon ages ago and they still have a delivery estimate in 2004. i will be seriously upset if i dont get a copy of this book

#4 User is offline   Clarkesworld Books 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Yes, we still have a few in stock and several more on the way.

-Neil

#5 Guest_Malazan Frog_*

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:30 AM

Just got my copy of Night of Knives. It will be the next book I read, after finishing the torturous book 10 of Wheel of Time.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Paleman 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:00 AM

Hetan,

also e-mailed Pete Crowther back at PS Publishing thanking them for making the book available. I mentioned this website as the source of information regarding the release of the book.

#7 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

Ordering from PS publishing is, as far as i recall, made via some uber-complicated procedure of sending credit card credentials through mail.. since i dont own a credit card my self and must use my friend's card, it's hardly probable that he'd be alright with this. Last time i checked, i think it was easier with Clarkesworld

however my desire to buy Nok is on come and go waves, so i don't really remember now...

#8 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

I think it was a fantastic book. its great to see into the malazan world through another writer. it gives us a more raw acount of the world, very dark but as has been said it does both raise and answer some questions
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:18 AM

Well worth the investment - and if it means we get more of Cam's stuff in print sooner covering areas of the Malazan Empire that SE is not covering then that has to be good.

#10 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

*Probably NOT spoilers, but, you know Posted Image*

I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was anything amazing. The Kiska threads did my head in really, I'm not a fan of hers. I realise the need for her - ICE could hardly have Kellanved or Dancer as POV characters and so he needed a nobody to tell the story through. I just thought she was boring. Temper was cool though.

The book is definitely Malazan, so no probs there. The writing was alright, though not as good as SE imo.

Overall, a welcome addition to the other stuff, especially considering that SE's stuff has been delayed. I got the £35 edition (number 329 Posted Image), and think it was worth the money.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#11 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:16 AM

Well for all those who have been put off by the price from buying the book, I thought I’d post here and say how much I enjoyed it, so you can all buy it before it's too late.

(Note: I’ve tried to cut out on spoilers here, that should probably be in another topic, though there may be some minor spoilers)

ICE's style is similar to Erikson, and the book is very interesting, the plot is faster paced than the malazan books, necessarily I think since it's set in a 24 hour period and we get some great new info on several major characters, i.e. most of the old guard, some more info on the Bridgeburners, an interesting new look at Dassem's "death" and all in all so much new info that I haven't digested it all yet.

Several answers to questions which may have arisen in the main arc are given, and I suspect that they will not appear elsewhere, so I think you will have to read ICE's books for some of the answers to some of the questions which arise in SE’s books.

Anyway I definitely enjoyed reading the book, and hope he gets more books published soon... think about it TWICE the malazan goodness....

Anyway what do the rest of you think?

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sombra:
Thanks to ChrisW for the loan.

Now I want more, dammit. I've had my hit and the high, come down and now I crave another. Certainly would be an interesting pitch from a beggar - "Excuse me mate, but could you spare change for the latest Malazan book?". Although I think ho'ing my skinny butt out might be taking things a tad far. Posted Image

Cheers,

La In The Program Sombra

Posted Image
the waiting time is a bitch...a whole other six months to go.. Posted Image

#13 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:27 AM

Yes!

What new info are we given? Everything that's relevant! Posted Image

It's far too big a book too summarize, I realize that, but what are the major events and what is revelaed about the exisisting characters in the Malazan world?

Also, are there new characters and if so what are they like?

#14 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

Korik, don't worry. The guys are only getting theres faster as they are getting them straight from the publisher. It takes more time for the books to get to amazon.

#15 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:51 AM

As far as i'm aware ps publishing still has copies, so you can still buy from there, which might be the cheaper option... i am unsure, as for whether clarkesworld has any ask them!

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

Have now completed the read.
It's good fun, and very much in keeping with SE's style. There are some great character moments and information for the fanatics among us.

Price v. Value 'wise, I'm somewhat undecided. This books cost almost as much as might a complete paperback run of the series to date - which is 284 pages v. something like 4000, or, in my usual pacing, about five hours of reading v. multiple weeks or months. But on the flip side, it was not, and for the foreseable future, will not, be available any other way. And I do fall in with the fanatics on this series, so i'm feeling fairly content with my purchase.

That said, I have to wonder - with a bit more content, or even without, this could have been released widely and cheaply, and probably prompted more fans to pick up the main books. It is that good.

In any case, i enjoyed it, and i think any fan willing to spend the tall dollars will not regret the purchase.

- Abyss, now on a strict diet of cheap instant noodles.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

Agree with Hetan - and of course it is a small print run and hardback as well. As mine was number 420 do not know if that means they have sold most or whether they are distributing in batches. I for one am not going to quibble

#18 User is offline   kettle 

• Fist

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:57 AM

@ oponn, I know the book was pricey, but hopefully with those of us who sold their soul to buy it liking it, there might be a cheaper reprint and hopefully an offer to ICE to write new books at a more managble price....

#19 User is offline   Clarkesworld Books 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Update: No more in stock. Should have more in a week.

-Neil

#20 Guest_Edge_*

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

Very good book. Would not recommended it to anyone who has not read at least as far as House of Chains. There is an awful lot going on and you may not appreciate some of the plot points otherwise.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users