• You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#181 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

View PostTraveller, on 29 December 2010 - 09:42 PM, said:

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 29 December 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

I've already accidentally started a fight. Then I threw a punch and the guy went nuts with fear and ran around a house three times screaming every time he saw me.

View PostTraveller, on 29 December 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

Oh, and in case you didn't explore the missions menu yet, you can replay any mission you've done, at any time, by selecting it.

I think I am going to do that. Otherwise the death of that poor girl is going to haunt me.

I'm pretty sure that if you go back to the same hideout a couple of days later, you can do it again. Not sure if you get the rep for it though.

I tried reloading a mission from the menu system, but it seems that the game only saves the story missions and not the stranger missions. And when I loaded a story mission it actually took me back to an old save so I lost all the progress I'd made since that point.

But I found the hideout again later and was able to redo the attack. Managed to shoot the bastard before she died and regained my honor.

View PostIsolde, on 30 December 2010 - 11:40 PM, said:

I think they made a few mistakes with the horses. First, as you mentioned, it is very hard to wear them out. Second, if there's one thing that would've gotten you hanged in the old west it was stealing horses. All in all getting horses was way too easy and it made no sense buying them when you could just pick one off the street and ride off. And, while it was convenient, being able to whistle down a horse out in the middle of nowhere made things a little easy. I understand it would be tiresome to walk back to town every time a cougar killed your horse but they could at least have made the waiting a little longer.

I was wondering about the horses. I was weary of accidentally jumping up on a horse that wasn't mine because I feared getting a mob on my ass. But I have jumped up on some of the bad guys I killed's horses.

I was surprised when I was able to summon my horse right after it got killed by wolves. That didn't make much sense. But it's handy.

In other news I got into a duel the other day. It was a bit silly really, I was running past the saloon when I head some guy calling my name and throwing obscenities my way. I saw that a blue dot or something appeared so I walked up to the guy and I was given the option of duelling him. Which I did, all though it seemed a bit silly duelling a guy because he called you names.

I tried shooting the gun out of his hand but I ended up shooting him 5 times in the hip, which was funny but deadly none the less.

Then I looted his corpse because I'm greedy like that.

This post has been edited by Jenisapt Rul: 31 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

#182 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 31 December 2010 - 08:10 AM, said:

I tried reloading a mission from the menu system, but it seems that the game only saves the story missions and not the stranger missions. And when I loaded a story mission it actually took me back to an old save so I lost all the progress I'd made since that point.

But I found the hideout again later and was able to redo the attack. Managed to shoot the bastard before she died and regained my honor.

Ah. Maybe it's a bit different on PS3? I thought that when you replayed a mission to get a better rating/medal that you replayed that scene only, then carried on when it was over. I don't remember losing any stuff. I replayed the one with the minecart ride cos I only noticed the quantity of strategically placed TNT when it was too late.

The horse thing is for convenience I guess... having to walk miles on foot would get a bit tedious, even if more realistic. I like the way that when you see a better horse, jump off and catch it, your previous mount follows you around looking hopeful.

Would be cool to have a wider range of horses though (value wise) that could be 'stolen' and sold or traded at the diffferent ranches and stables, sort of like GTA. I was quite surprised to find I couldn't lead another horse while riding, as I thought that would be a great way of making money. And after the cattle drive mission it would have been good gain the ability to steal cattle too. (The cattle drive in the thunderstorm was one of my favourites for sheer atmosphere).
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#183 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Okay I am some two thirds of the way through the game right now, I think I am close to being done with Mexico, and I have to say I am really impressed with the story and the characters. Everyone is either a victim, a criminal or a bastard and often times both. I love that both sides of the Mexican war are utterly loathsome. Some times I wish I had the ability to just bypass the storyline and put a cap in somebody's head, like that bastard general leading the Mexican army. Oh man do I want to kill him.

#184 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

I like Mexico in the game (my favorite area, with Tall Trees a close second). The background music in Mexico is very nice also and works well with the immersive game play.

#185 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Just finished the "I Know You" stranger mission.

Spoiler

#186 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 05 January 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Just finished the "I Know You" stranger mission.

Spoiler

Keep playing till youve finished the game and try and work it out based on location of the last meeting.

#187 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

PAFO (Play And Find Out) . . . make sure you pay attention.

#188 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Finished the game last night. Holy shit that ending was amazing.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jenisapt Rul: 10 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

#189 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 10 January 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Spoiler

^ This.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by First Tiger: 10 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#190 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I thought the voice acting for John Marston was top notch.

When I got to this in the game I thought it was over too
Spoiler

And regarding the "I know you stranger":
Spoiler

#191 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

^^the first video there, great moment. Unfortunately I screwed it up because I thought I could find my way back without setting a way point on the map and got lost.

Finished Undead Nightmare a couple of weeks ago and must say it was better than I expected. It got a little repetitive after a while though, but I suppose some of that would have been lingering weariness from the original. I was pleased to discover the treasure hunter challenges were trickier than in RDR.

My one major complaint concerns the
Spoiler

WTF, guilt trip!? Not cool, Rockstar.

#192 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

That was a bit cruel. I didn't shoot the last one, I left it under the tree - he might have been wrong about being the last one, anyway!

#193 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

I didn't shoot that last one either... the poor guy's dialog pulled at my heartstrings. Once you finish that mission, they appear randomly in Tall Trees. It's too enticing not to chase one down, lasso it and drag it behind your horse.... or just to use them as bare knuckle fighting practice (they could at least fight back).

#194 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostRoger Ramjet, on 10 January 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by MTS: 01 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#195 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostFirst Tiger, on 01 February 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

That was a bit cruel. I didn't shoot the last one, I left it under the tree - he might have been wrong about being the last one, anyway!

Haha, true enough. I went back to check on him making sure he wasn't just sitting there under the tree being miserable and he had gone off somewhere.

View PostFartstad Stinkhammer, on 01 February 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

I didn't shoot that last one either... the poor guy's dialog pulled at my heartstrings. Once you finish that mission, they appear randomly in Tall Trees. It's too enticing not to chase one down, lasso it and drag it behind your horse.... or just to use them as bare knuckle fighting practice (they could at least fight back).

No! I couldn't have done that. Not that I recall seeing any after the challenge...

#196 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Still debating if i should get UNdead Nightmare. i think so. I'm itching to play the game since I haven't touched it after beating it. New content could be fun.

However, Dragon Age will be mine shortly, and that should keep me busy.
Error: Signature not valid

#197 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

Get Undead Nightmare! I was skeptical (plugging zombies into Red Dead Redemption), but they balance it nicely with the world.... it's a lot of fun!

#198 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

It's worth it just to play as Marston again for a while. And for the undead bears...

#199 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

I bought Undead Nightmare right after finishing RDR. I do not recommend buying it unless you are very good at aiming or want to be dependant on the dead eye mode. I had a bitch of a time aiming for the zombies heads and as such it made the combat more annoying than fun and I gave up.

#200 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Mm, aiming to kill wasn't easy, at least not to begin with. I might have imagined this but didn't the "auto-aim" or whatever you call it get better along with the number of zombies you killed? Anyway, I used dead-eye in all the towns, at least until the more creative toys came around. The graveyards were driving me crazy at first but then I started running around in a circle with a sawed off shotgun and picking them off as I went, survivable as long as you don't stop running and let them mob you (Zombieland 101). Same worked with the torch. Not a lot a prestige in that tactic but it was very effective.

This post has been edited by Isolde: 11 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users