• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#161 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

Zombie Bears... it might be worth it just for those! I loved the bear hunting, especially when you have to take 'em down on foot, with a knife. (I remember, mid fight, stumbling onto a campfire with people sitting round it. The bear went nuts, they all went running, and I managed to stab it while it was distracted. I was about to skin it when another one hit me from behind.)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#162 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

ugh.

how I loath Rockstar for betraying their PC followers so....
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#163 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Okay, finally got the game in my hands and I finished downloading various DLC.

Any tips and tricks for me before I get into it? Things to do or avoid? Things to spend money on or drop? People to kill? Places to go?

#164 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 28 December 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

Any tips and tricks for me before I get into it? Things to do or avoid? Things to spend money on or drop? People to kill? Places to go?

You are on the verge of something great....that is all I will say. Enjoy!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#165 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

First impressions. Okay, maybe it's because of the gut wound, but Marston has the funniest running animation ever. I am laughing just looking at him running back and forth.

#166 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 28 December 2010 - 07:13 PM, said:

To start stay around McFarlene Ranch to get the hang of the hunting/skinning and lasso. I went off exploring before getting the lasso and had to go back for it. But really, just start riding out to whatever takes your fancy, you'll soon be bumping into random encounters.

Be careful if you head north or east though, as there are cougars that can take your horse down in one go, and come back for you.. and there's usually a second one around close by. You can get quite a bit of money early on by selling their pelts, but really I don't remember needing loads of cash, as you can loot bodies and chests for ammo. Worth saving up for the better weapons though, and doing any challenges that will boost the redeye meter early on.

Oh and when you die, you lose stuff you collected, so if you're out on a challenge that involves picking loads of plants, save the game by summoning a new horse (from deeds when you buy 'em). Can be really frustrating to havee killed several bears and cougars, and get taken out in a random accident or fight on the way to a save point. (Like when your horse decides to jump in a river).

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#167 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

Ah, the "lose your inventory when you die" thing is a nice tip. I reckon I'll be dying a lot in beginning. I am terrible at aiming with analogue sticks.

#168 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

It's an open world, have fun exploring. Try some of the games (I like horse shoes and five finger fillet). Starting out can be frustrating because the donkey sucks and you have crappy guns, but stick to it and it becomes more enjoyable as you level up and get faster mounts and better weapons. There are a lot of things to do outside the main story missions. Work on the challenges (hunting, survivalist, etc.), they will gain you experience. Do what inspires you on any particular session.

Also, it sounds like you have your aiming on expert. Until you get used to the mechanics (aiming is difficult with the joysticks), I recommended going to normal aiming. Casual aiming makes it too easy (pisses me of when playing free roam and some tool is taking everyone out with casual aiming and talking crap).

#169 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

One thing I have noticed is that the horse riding absolutely sucks. Why on earth didn't they put acceleration/sprint on R2 based on how far you push it down like in GTA4. Tapping x to gain speed, having to hold it down to maintain your speed and pressing R2 to stop is just plain silly. Every time I am trying to follow someone and I am told to look with the O button I speed off in the wrong direction. And once you are off in the wrong direction it feels like trying to turn a speeding train.

Why didn't they just borrow the handling from Assassins Creed.

#170 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

I didn't have a problem with the horse, but yes, having to hold the button or keep tapping it to maintain speed is a pain. More annoying for me is the fact that Marston does this wide turn when you want him to turn round, so if when you want to go through a door, climb a ladder, or cross a bridge that is right next to you, unless you hit it dead on he keeps 'missing' it and going to the side, which looks a little ridiculous after a few attempts - walking repeatedly into the wall either side of a door without actually going through it...

The horse stamina is a bit crazy too, as you can ride across the map without wearing it out. I think water troughs or a slightly better gauge would be a bit more realistic; it would also mean you need to change horses more often, or even tow a spare.The horse-breaking would then be integrated into the gameplay more thoroughly, rather than just a sort of mini game.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

#171 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

One criticism of the game is that the controls are somewhat wonky. I agree with the assessment of controlling the character (i.e walking through narrow doors, climbing ladders et. al.). I never had issue with the horse though. I think Rock Star is attempting to incorporate the galloping nature of horse riding (tapping the button to simulate this). I found that if you get the cadence right and keep your horse on the road, your stamina never gets low and the speed of your horse is maxed.

Also, I never found money to be a problem (selling fur and feathers), so I always kept my stock of horse pills and apples up (comes in handy when you are bringing back a wanted criminal and his buddies on hot on your trail).

Also, it never hurts to just whip the flea bitten nag until it bucks you off... builds character.

#172 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Holy shit.

I did my first mission with the sherif of Armadillo which was awesome. Then I decided to go look around before heading back. So I come upon this hideout and a farmer in need of help. The outlaws have kidnapped his daughter and so I volunteer to help get her back. We kill the lot of them and bust into the house she's being held in. There the last bandit is, holding a shotgun threatening to blow her away. I try to get my aim straight but I'm being a bit clumsy and I reckon I have plenty of time, no sooner do I finish that thought before HE BLOWS HER AWAY. I shot the bastard afterwards. But he fucking killed her! That's maybe the most shocking moment I have ever experienced in random game play. He just shot her. Holy shit.

And then I got a bad reputation to boot. God damn it.

#173 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

Wait until you rescue someone from a hanging (difficult as hell, imo anyway). Using deadeye throughout your adventures is something you will rely on.

#174 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

That was actually the reason why I failed. I tried triggering the Dead Eye thingy but maybe I don't have the ability yet or it wasn't loaded or something. So, when I got around to trying to shoot the bad guy normally it was too late!

I have to say I like that this kind of an encounter actually comes with penalties.

#175 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 29 December 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

I have to say I like that this kind of an encounter actually comes with penalties.

This is what I like most about the game. And why I like the hunting part so much. Because if you're not careful, you get killed. And lose stuff, and go back to your last save point. It can be a bummer, but it means that when you're scrambling through the undergrowth with a pack of dogs on your heels, and no deadeye left, you get the proper buzz of just trying to stay alive. Makes it all the more satisfying when you do it right. (Unlike some games I've been playng recently, which are good, but I haven't died once, and when I did I just got respawned with everything).

When I first did that farmer mission you mentioned, I took so long just trying to get through the damn door that she got shot.

Just remembered something else regarding the 'wanted' status. If you're trying to keep to the right side of things, try not to run anyone over with your horse. I came back from a long mission, rode into town to complete it, and my horse jumped a fence I hadn't seen, and knocked someone over.
Result? A shit load of sheriffs and lawmen shooting to kill, and the mission failed. Which was a bit harsh. Same thing happened when I kicked a dog that got in my way. Ok, it was a bit mean, but to get chased out of town and shot at? Damn dog. (Btw pushing people over, into tables, down stairs, is very entertaining).

Oh, and in case you didn't explore the missions menu yet, you can replay any mission you've done, at any time, by selecting it.

#176 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

I've already accidentally started a fight. Then I threw a punch and the guy went nuts with fear and ran around a house three times screaming every time he saw me.

View PostTraveller, on 29 December 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

Oh, and in case you didn't explore the missions menu yet, you can replay any mission you've done, at any time, by selecting it.

I think I am going to do that. Otherwise the death of that poor girl is going to haunt me.

#177 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Holy shit again.

I come back into Armadillo at night time and there's drunks and vigilantes everywhere. As I enter town a group of cowboys are dragging some guy down the street behind their horses and shooting into the air.

Then I walk over to the saloon and hear some cowboy cussing at a whore. Next thing I know he's knocked her over and HE'S FUCKING STABBING AWAY AT HER! Well, I blew him away and she lived, but holy shit.

#178 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

If lawlessness is your thing ride over to Thieve's Landing. If I remember correctly, you can shoot folks there without fear of the marshal coming after you (you will get shot back at though by the folks who live there).

#179 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 29 December 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

I've already accidentally started a fight. Then I threw a punch and the guy went nuts with fear and ran around a house three times screaming every time he saw me.

View PostTraveller, on 29 December 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

I think I am going to do that. Otherwise the death of that poor girl is going to haunt me.

I'm pretty sure that if you go back to the same hideout a couple of days later, you can do it again. Not sure if you get the rep for it though.

The random encounters are great, and some really take you by surprise, but I won't spoiler them here.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

#180 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

I think they made a few mistakes with the horses. First, as you mentioned, it is very hard to wear them out. Second, if there's one thing that would've gotten you hanged in the old west it was stealing horses. All in all getting horses was way too easy and it made no sense buying them when you could just pick one off the street and ride off. And, while it was convenient, being able to whistle down a horse out in the middle of nowhere made things a little easy. I understand it would be tiresome to walk back to town every time a cougar killed your horse but they could at least have made the waiting a little longer.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users