• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Member Introduction Thread

#2361 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

Welcome new members, damn glad to meet you.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2362 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

View PostYllana, on 10 April 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

hey there! I've been lurking for a while, but decided to join, because I'd like to contribute something, tooPosted Image.
I've been reading fantasy and to some degree science-fiction rather randomly all my life, but have only decided to explore the genre systematically about two years ago. Then I stumbled upon Malazan and read the whole series in a few weeks. I feel safe to say that Erikson not only completely changed my perception of fantasy literature, but also of history and historiography. The series is really amazing.
I am also a big fan of manga and Rock music.
And I'm from Germany, so please excuse any weird/wrong expressions.Posted Image

Welcome aboard :D Fancy giving Coltaine a hand fleshing out the German Malazan Wiki???!!

http://de.malazan.wi...

#2363 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

Welcome new members.

Yllana, any chance you got the name from the Quickening series by Fiona McIntosh? I know that it's with one l there, but you never know.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#2364 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

@Dutch: naw, the name is actually from Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover Series. It's only a minor character's name, but I really like it.

#2365 User is offline   Rob206 

• Recruit

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hi, I've been thinking of trying this series for awhile. Read some reviews, and it sounds pretty difficult to get into, but eventually worth it. I'm picking up book one tonight and registered here thinking if need somewhere to ask the questions I know are coming 😂
Rob

#2366 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

Have fun! Make sure to avoid any book topics after the one you reading to dodge any horrid spoilers. And feel free to ask away. Let us know how you get on!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2367 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

It's not really an "eventually it's worth it" kind of thing. The first book begins intriguingly, gets good fast, and then gets better from there.

It does start "in medias res" so to speak, but so do lots of books. That's only a negative thing if you're a total wiener. I mean, to one degree or another, EVERY new book/series you pick up has unfamiliar characters doing things you don't necessarily fully understand at first, so I dunno why GotM in particular breaks so many brains. It's a fantasy novel, not advanced astrophysics.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2368 User is offline   Rob206 

• Recruit

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 09 August 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

It's not really an "eventually it's worth it" kind of thing. The first book begins intriguingly, gets good fast, and then gets better from there.

It does start "in medias res" so to speak, but so do lots of books. That's only a negative thing if you're a total wiener. I mean, to one degree or another, EVERY new book/series you pick up has unfamiliar characters doing things you don't necessarily fully understand at first, so I dunno why GotM in particular breaks so many brains. It's a fantasy novel, not advanced astrophysics.

I'm about 40 pages in and am really liking it. So far it's not difficult at all.

#2369 User is offline   kenkob 

• Recruit

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hello, fellas!

I'm completely new to the series, haven't read a page. Have the first two books already, don't want to get lost in them because I have stuff to be done IRL so gonna start reading in a week!

Stumbled upon this series because I was looking for epic fantasy books after reading everything that Brandon Sanderson has to offer in his Cosmere universe. I do know that at first the book might get very confusing and it can get hard to read, but I'm mentally prepared for that! I'll try not to post too many dumb questions before finishing the first book, but can't guarantee that, so cya in the GoTM thread in some time.

#2370 User is offline   Swirl 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:15 AM

Hello,
New to the forum, Just recently started Dust of Dreams. Really looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. I also just started reading Ians Novels, still on Night of Knives. If you can't tell from my name, i'm a big fan of the Moranth, specifically the Blue. Can't wait to find out more about them.

#2371 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

Welcome fresh meat, souls for the Master new people. Have fun poking around, feel free to ask (almost) anything.

I won't be the one answering the questions though, of course.

;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 29 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2372 User is offline   Reiknar 

• Recruit

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

Hullo! Found these forums from searching for accurate maps of the "Malazan" world, may of them directed here but couldn't view said maps without being registered. So here I am!

Been reading Erickson's books since ~2001, I try to re-read the series at least once a year. By and far my favorite series of books or stories I've found anywhere.

This post has been edited by Reiknar: 08 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

#2373 User is offline   Dernhelm 

• Recruit

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:44 AM

Hi guys! Long time reader, only took me a decade to finally make an account! I needed to see all of your beautiful pictures! Posted Image

#2374 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:23 AM

View PostDernhelm, on 13 September 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

Hi guys! Long time reader, only took me a decade to finally make an account! I needed to see all of your beautiful pictures! Posted Image

Link

#2375 User is offline   Dernhelm 

• Recruit

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:53 AM

Photos as well as drawings?? How far does this Warren go? How wonderful!

#2376 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:24 AM

Oh you meant drawings? I guess those are beautiful too.

#2377 User is offline   AracheonoXis 

• Recruit

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hello to every1 !

#2378 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hello!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2379 User is offline   Demandred 

• Recruit

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:29 AM

Hey all, new to this forum. Im a member of a Wheel of Time forum and a Cosmere forum. I have to be a big fan of something to join a forum and discuss the books. I just began the Malazan Book of the Fallen series not too long ago. Had all the books for a while, but hadnt gotten to them yet. I am about 350 pgs into Deadhouse Gates and I am loving it so far. Things were extremely confusing to start with, but I kept with it and things are beginning to make sense. I read the authors' suggested reading order for reading ALL the Malazan books and it appears I'll be mixing Esslemonts books in after Midnight Tides. Would you all recomend doing that, or just reading all of Eriksons, then Esslemonts 6 book series?

#2380 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:50 AM

As long as you mix in the right way, it is the optimal way to read it. Though Esslemont after Erikson is okay as well, but it may just cause a tad of confusion with side characters and storylines appearing which seem not fully fleshed out. And indeed, correct series mixing would start after Midnight Tides. Enjoy the ride!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 09 March 2019 - 12:51 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 124 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users