• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Member Introduction Thread

#2401 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:00 AM

I would advise going with your plan of re-read plus NotME interweaved. Save PtA for after. Here's something that might drive you batty anyway: Path to Ascendancy now appears to be the first trilogy in an ongoing series. Book three is definitely not the end of the story. Likewise, the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach novellas are apparently building to a climax too, if in a more piecemeal manner. And the Kharkanas trilogy is definitely not just three standalone novels, but a beginning middle and end as well. So in all honesty, all the Malazan books outside of MBotF and NotME -- not just Kharkanas -- are technically unfinished series.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2402 User is offline   murfman 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

Hey guys! I've been reading Malazan for the first time and have been using the wiki quite a bit. Just wanted to say thanks, and I'm looking forward to finishing out the series! Oh, I'm about halfway through The Bonehunters now.

#2403 User is offline   Picker&Blend 

• Recruit
  • Interests:painting, maths, reading

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:39 PM

Thanks worry, well I did finish the six finished B&KB Novellas already, 3 before and 3 after MoI, as indicated in the superb reading order overview graph. But since they are rather weird/fun little stories, waiting for a conclusion there won't be an issue. As I believe/hope PtA won't be, since atleast a trilogy seems to be somewhat finished, even if he plans to write a second one following. I assume I can stomache that. But I will definitely wait with the Kharkanas books until the 3rd one is out, and it's a shame, I am super curious about those... Thanks again😘

#2404 User is offline   Chnoiel 

• Recruit

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:47 AM

Hi!
Glad I found this place. I read the main books many years ago and am currently on my first re-read (HoC) and it's even better than the first time
Musings on the weather can fill a skull with clouds, enough to reduce every horizon.

#2405 User is offline   HiHaFiZi 

• Recruit

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

hi there!

first readthrough, currenty middle of bonehuntersi am glad here's an active community and thank you so much for the wiki, i'd be pretty much lost without it ;)

#2406 User is offline   Stylo 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading writing music

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:25 AM

Hey... I dunno how active this subforum is, and I'm not usually one to post these things, usually just diving right in, but this seems like a cool place so I thought I'd say hi.

I've just started Gardens of the Moon, having had no little trepidation, not so much over the supposed difficulty of the thing but over the commitment required to follow a long, big-booked series like this. I'm not really a person who binges series, or authors; I can hardly ever stand to read two books by the same author in a row, even the best of them. Variety, spice&c. It does happen, but maybe rarely. So I thought of other series I'd read where I'd taken a long break between books and completely forgotten characters, places, motivations, and thus the reading was a slog and any impact dulled... weirdly, though, as I'm digging Gardens quite a bit, that worry has sort of crawled away somewhere. If a book is good I have no problem rereading it: I read the Wheel of Time once, and while I'll mostly spare my extraordinarily mixed feelings on that series, I think the reason it took me so goddam long wasn't because I read such an insane number of large books, but rather because I didn't really reread any of them.

Anyway, like I said, cool place. I said the alleged challenge of the books wasn't on my mind, though it was, to an extent, probably tied in with the length thing: I feel comforted knowing I can read that TOR series featuring a new reader, grab some summaries while I'm at it, and maybe this forum will be helpful too, if either my mind or reading habits stray. It's hard to say this without coming off like a prick but maybe I am one; I feel like maybe the difficulty of the series comes from fantasy readers who kinda don't read anything but fantasy, and within "Epic Fantasy" ("how is that somehow a distinct subgenre" critics are saying), where the bar is perhaps maybe not so high. I was piqued by Erikson's mention of DeLillo in the preface, and others not considered capital-F Fantasy Writers... I figured I'd approach it somewhat like a Gene Wolfe puzzlebox, with a little dash of Pynchon? Maybe not the best comparison, the latter offering either no answers whatsoever or a million possible ones... and regardless of the outcome I'd have to say I'm perfectly OK with the "more questions than answers" approach, in any kind of fiction, and the kind of fantasy which eventually just explains away all the mystery leaves me a bit cold. That's why we read this stuff right? The mystery?

Nobody asked but I'm just gonna go ahead and give some impressions. Dark, Light, Shadow in between but not necessarily Evil... that's some T.S. Eliot shit, isn't it? I may be mistaken. That's what it reminded me of, whoever said it. That "falls the shadow" thing.

I absolutely loved that dream zone Paran was taken to. I'm a real sucker for dream logic, metaphysical shit, the way it seems to affect the real world here. All those allusions to ropes, hoods, shadows, be they in the poems or elsewhere... the coin thing, maybe, coming together.

Tattersail I feel must be an obvious character to like at first. I'm sure I'll be thrown by who I end up liking, hating, etc, but c'mon: "Tell them it's from the fat woman who does spells."

That's another thing, the humour. I was at first afraid the series might just be unrelentingly dark, but I'm seeing cracks of hope, optimism, mixed in, as well as the funny bits... this seems to come up, but I genuinely do see a few parallels to Terry Pratchett, one of the greats in my estimation. Not just the humour, maybe not that element at all. The glimpses of sympathy, of righteous anger, how Whiskyjack is kinda like "Serious Vimes"...

Oh yeah, and anything involving the hounds? I'm in. It might have been the cover of Toll the Hounds in some bookshop that said "you're gonna read this series someday". I'm a dog person. Good old Gear... good old Crone the illusory Good Boy at the fire... good ol', well perhaps less good at the start what with the massacre and all.

Christ that wasn't supposed to be so long or probably incoherent.

To sum up: hi!!!!
"never seen a ghost, no? but you have heard of them" bob dylan
"some of these people really have become my friends, in the pre-internet sense of the term" thomas pynchon
"&if that's what you think you heard, then that's what you heard" guided by voices
"citation needed" - wikipedia
@styl_oh

#2407 User is offline   Light 

• Recruit
  • Interests:I enjoy travelling at the speed of light. Also, reading.
  • Convenient things are convenient.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

Hi. My name is Uhzna Twfu. I'm new here, and I am here to assert my superiority ... or something. I suffer from delusions of grandeur. I will do lurking and stalking :) My first target is Abyss.

Share this topic:

• 121 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users