• You cannot reply to this topic

Official Speculation thread nothing will be spoiled obviously Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostHetan, on 27 July 2010 - 08:19 AM, said:

I have been privileged to read The Crippled God and I am breathless. I'm not going to spoil anything obviously, and I'm not going to give any plot points away and I'm certainly not saying this to rub anyone up the wrong way - but man oh man - I am in awe, absolute fucking total awe. The man is genius.

He-TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#82 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

I was just skimming through the Encyclopeadia Malazica site and came across this part from an interview seven years past, after MoI. I was rather intrigued by the last sentence.....

"The ascendant Whiskeyjack? All rightie, this ties in with concerns I've seen expressed about resurrections in the novels. Curious. Paran is the only character truly resurrected, because in his re-animation he is essentially the same person he was before. Maybe Duiker, too. Tattersail was reborn, as was Nightchill, but Silverfox is a very different creature. Baudin as a servant of Hood is perforce very dead, and will remain so...Coltaine is a month old and his mother still has to hold him out when he pees. No fast return there...Toc's just inhabiting a different body. Will there be any more resurrections? Only one, and it's what all the others are leading to."

Any Ideas anyone ? (who hasn't read the book. I refrain from asking you, Hetan)

I think he doesn't mean Hedge or Brys. I don't expect it to be Toc or Tool....

This post has been edited by Imperial High Mage Tayschrenn: 27 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#83 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

This is only a guess but I'm gonna spoiler it anyway:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#84 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

View PostSkywalker, on 20 November 2009 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostThe Dark Wanderer, on 19 November 2009 - 06:16 PM, said:

I have a bad feeling that the first few hundred pages won't feature the aftermath of the Bonehunters big battle and will instead either return to Lether proper and see Seren Pedac and Tehol and co or possibly tell the story of why the Snake was there and what was happening in Kolanese. Although maybe not as that would really not work if the two books (DoD and TCG) are really just a book split in half.

You know what would be a total pwnage of an opening?? If we get a prehistoric prologue a la MT/ RG featuring either more Tiste and/ or Elder Gods and/ or Forkrul Assail... and then if book 1 (or most of it) is basically Paran arriving in the Wastelands and looking for the damn lizard army of awesome and the BH

I think this too, a bit of history behind the FA, also a lot more history into the crippled God himself, then it'll either go to Darujhistan and we find out a bit of what is happening there with Baruk and Kruppe etc or we go to Seven Cities where Paran is and find out what trouble he was in when Picker spoke to him in TTH. Then we will arrive back in the wastelands and the aftermath of the battle, although someone will recollect what really happened. From here we head to Kolanse and there will be a huge convergence!!

what say you?!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#85 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

View Postworrywort, on 02 May 2010 - 09:22 PM, said:

Perhaps that means the Tyrant of Darujhistan is a Forkrul Assail, who I'm sure could produce a brutal cold-hearted dictator somewhere in their history. Maybe the Seguleh (as in the pickled Seguleh) originate as FA worshipers (Seguleh/Sechul Lath) and that accounts for their fetish for precise deadliness and rigid discipline. They wear those cold white masks after all.

the tyrant of Darujhistan was Raest!! Just because he didn't get his finnest and gain his power does not mean he did not once rule Genabackis.

#86 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

The fact that Darujhistan didn't exist when Raest was taken down does put a damper on that theory. Darujhistan actually grew up around Raest's burial spot due to treasure hunters, as many California towns grew up around the Gold Rush. Baruk describes it as a city "born on a rumor," the rumor being Raest's location.

#87 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

View Postworrywort, on 27 July 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 27 July 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

I have been privileged to read The Crippled God and I am breathless. I'm not going to spoil anything obviously, and I'm not going to give any plot points away and I'm certainly not saying this to rub anyone up the wrong way - but man oh man - I am in awe, absolute fucking total awe. The man is genius.

He-TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

BRAAAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNZZZZZZZZ....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#89 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 28 July 2010 - 09:39 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 27 July 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I favour more with worrywort's, simply because of the "and its what all the others are leading up to" bit.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#90 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'm more partial to the Tiam theory, especially considering the whole OD deal in DoD.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#91 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yah, that makes sense too. It's gonna be sweet, whatever it is.

#92 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

:)

Can you play the Kallor of old for a bit? Makes the wait all the more unbearable (and infinitely more enjoyable) for us plebes :D
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#93 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

View Postworrywort, on 28 July 2010 - 09:22 AM, said:

The fact that Darujhistan didn't exist when Raest was taken down does put a damper on that theory. Darujhistan actually grew up around Raest's burial spot due to treasure hunters, as many California towns grew up around the Gold Rush. Baruk describes it as a city "born on a rumor," the rumor being Raest's location.

I know this, but where does it say there will be a future tyrant? Raest was a tyrant back when he was alive. So letting him free would see the return of a tyrant wouldn't it? but he was stopped and that is that. I don't think we'll see a tyrant taking over Darujhistan in the future.

#94 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

how did you read the final book Hetan? I thought it was months away!

#95 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Hetan is a friend of Erikson and one of his advanced readers.

#96 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

View PostTattersail, on 29 July 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 28 July 2010 - 09:22 AM, said:

I know this, but where does it say there will be a future tyrant? Raest was a tyrant back when he was alive. So letting him free would see the return of a tyrant wouldn't it? but he was stopped and that is that. I don't think we'll see a tyrant taking over Darujhistan in the future.

In TTH. It's essentially the crux of Humble Measure's storyline, and Baruk et al discuss the Tyrant's return as well. This is after the events of GotM of course, so it excludes Raest as his fate is known. Also, Baruk ponders whether he should have asked for Anomander Rake's help to prevent his return, which would further exclude Raest as Anomander Rake was intimately involved with that conflict already. The Tyrant of Darujhistan is a near-total unknown to readers, his return seems imminent and highly terrifying to several characters in the know, and it's unlikely to be a Jaghut at all. Lastly, the Tyrant they speak of actually ruled over Darujhistan with the aid of a Seguleh army, and was followed by several more tyrant kings, which is itself proof enough that it's not Raest, who never ruled the city. Whoever the Tyrant of Darujhistan is, it was someone very powerful, and may very well have taken that title because of Raest's legacy in the area, but that's the only possible connection to Raest.

#97 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

I say the Tyrant of Darujhistan was Osserc. The
Spoiler

Why? Well... just coz he has to fit in somewhere in the modern scheme of things. Otherwise he's just another shockingly white Tiste dude hoping to be as awesome as Anomander Rake.

Anyway... moving on...
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#98 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

View PostSkywalker, on 29 July 2010 - 12:26 PM, said:

I say the Tyrant of Darujhistan was Osserc.

Hmm... I'm rereading GotM right now, and Darujhistan has a street named for Osserc...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#99 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I can't really do a Kallor - he had mastery over that particular skill - but I do think this makes Memories of Ice look like a tea party.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#100 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Love the new sig, there Hetan.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

26 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users