• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Speculation thread nothing will be spoiled obviously Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

Is that sig from TCG? Or is it from an epigram in one of the previous books that I don't recall?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#102 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:16 AM

View PostHetan, on 29 July 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

I can't really do a Kallor - he had mastery over that particular skill - but I do think this makes Memories of Ice look like a tea party.

Oh my.

A tea party, huh?

Oh... my....
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#103 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

But I like tea parties!

Ugh, I mean, awesome....
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#104 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

View Postworrywort, on 29 July 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostTattersail, on 29 July 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 28 July 2010 - 09:22 AM, said:

The fact that Darujhistan didn't exist when Raest was taken down does put a damper on that theory. Darujhistan actually grew up around Raest's burial spot due to treasure hunters, as many California towns grew up around the Gold Rush. Baruk describes it as a city "born on a rumor," the rumor being Raest's location.

I know this, but where does it say there will be a future tyrant? Raest was a tyrant back when he was alive. So letting him free would see the return of a tyrant wouldn't it? but he was stopped and that is that. I don't think we'll see a tyrant taking over Darujhistan in the future.

In TTH. It's essentially the crux of Humble Measure's storyline, and Baruk et al discuss the Tyrant's return as well. This is after the events of GotM of course, so it excludes Raest as his fate is known. Also, Baruk ponders whether he should have asked for Anomander Rake's help to prevent his return, which would further exclude Raest as Anomander Rake was intimately involved with that conflict already. The Tyrant of Darujhistan is a near-total unknown to readers, his return seems imminent and highly terrifying to several characters in the know, and it's unlikely to be a Jaghut at all. Lastly, the Tyrant they speak of actually ruled over Darujhistan with the aid of a Seguleh army, and was followed by several more tyrant kings, which is itself proof enough that it's not Raest, who never ruled the city. Whoever the Tyrant of Darujhistan is, it was someone very powerful, and may very well have taken that title because of Raest's legacy in the area, but that's the only possible connection to Raest.

A segulah army? well that does rule out jaghut and t'lan imass! they classed Rake as the 7th didn't they? and that is only because he stopped fighting, so whoever it is will be stronger than Rake. It must be a really strong ascendant or a God. Father light? Osserc? Who do you think it will be?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#105 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Have you read TTH? I've gone over my crazy idea elsewhere, and it involves the similarity between the words Seguleh and Sechul Lath. I don't think it's particularly pertinent to the Crippled God though, so I don't wanna go way off topic.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#106 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 30 July 2010 - 01:29 AM, said:

Is that sig from TCG? Or is it from an epigram in one of the previous books that I don't recall?

It's from TCG - with permission from the author.
So many things I wanted to use, but this one made me laugh... a lot.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#107 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostAptorian, on 29 July 2010 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hetan is a friend of Erikson and one of his advanced readers.

...and we hate her for it.

In a nice way.

I can't really do a Kallor - he had mastery over that particular skill - but I do think this makes Memories of Ice look like a tea party.

I take back the part about 'nice way'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#108 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

View Postworrywort, on 29 July 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostTattersail, on 29 July 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

...I know this, but where does it say there will be a future tyrant? ...

In TTH. It's essentially the crux of Humble Measure's storyline, and Baruk et al discuss the Tyrant's return as well. This is after the events of GotM of course, so it excludes Raest as his fate is known. Also, Baruk ponders whether he should have asked for Anomander Rake's help to prevent his return, which would further exclude Raest as Anomander Rake was intimately involved with that conflict already. The Tyrant of Darujhistan is a near-total unknown to readers, his return seems imminent and highly terrifying to several characters in the know, and it's unlikely to be a Jaghut at all. Lastly, the Tyrant they speak of actually ruled over Darujhistan with the aid of a Seguleh army, and was followed by several more tyrant kings, which is itself proof enough that it's not Raest, who never ruled the city. Whoever the Tyrant of Darujhistan is, it was someone very powerful, and may very well have taken that title because of Raest's legacy in the area, but that's the only possible connection to Raest.

Agreed on all fronts.

To add to the mystery, there have been refs to the Tyrant-King and Tyrant-KingS plural of Darujhistan, and Cotillion refers in TB to the Tyrants on Assail.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#109 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Traveller decides he needs an army again, so he challenges and kills the Seguleh 1st, then takes the Agatii on a mission to annihilate Skinner and his forty "pledged to the Crippled God" Avowed. Then the angry 2nd kills Traveller for taking Skinner out of the picture.

#110 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

Grngh...ghhhh...mmm...yeeeees....
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#111 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

View PostAmmanas, on 04 August 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

Traveller decides he needs an army again, so he challenges and kills the Seguleh 1st, then takes the Agatii on a mission to annihilate Skinner and his forty "pledged to the Crippled God" Avowed. Then the angry 2nd kills Traveller for taking Skinner out of the picture.

so there will be a battle with traveller against skinner :(

#112 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

View Postworrywort, on 30 July 2010 - 08:20 AM, said:

Have you read TTH? I've gone over my crazy idea elsewhere, and it involves the similarity between the words Seguleh and Sechul Lath. I don't think it's particularly pertinent to the Crippled God though, so I don't wanna go way off topic.

IMO its related to Torrud Segul. So Seguleh will be something like Shield Anvil of humanity :(
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#113 User is offline   Osyris 

• Recruit

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

View PostUlrik, on 05 August 2010 - 08:14 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 30 July 2010 - 08:20 AM, said:

IMO its related to Torrud Segul. So Seguleh will be something like Shield Anvil of humanity :(

Hi!
As a longer time reader of these forums, I've suddenly found the urge to post. :D
Busy with a re-read of RG, so just to add more to what Ulrik correctly said, it is stated that Seguleh means "the anvil" in a language of the first empire. Hence the similarity to Torrud Segul.
Doubtful that there is any link to Sechul lath... but who knows!

#114 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

Well there's really two parts to this isn't there? - the Torrud bit (the shield) refers to the mage cadre or ruling council in Darujhistan, the Torrud Cabal and the Segul - Segal (the anvil) the seguleh.
Which is quite interesting when you think about the way armies fight - with a mage cadre behind them.
I also doubt there's any relationship to Setchul Lath as well.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#115 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

Yah, I'm prepared to be wrong, but on the other hand, maybe Kilmandaros made love to an ascended anvil (the very same Barathol uses) and spawned Sechul. Weirder things have happened.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#116 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

View PostHetan, on 06 August 2010 - 05:38 AM, said:

Well there's really two parts to this isn't there? - the Torrud bit (the shield) refers to the mage cadre or ruling council in Darujhistan, the Torrud Cabal and the Segul - Segal (the anvil) the seguleh.
Which is quite interesting when you think about the way armies fight - with a mage cadre behind them.
I also doubt there's any relationship to Setchul Lath as well.

Yeah, I have thought about this a lot and I think your right, shield anvil! what I am thinking as well is that a shield anvil needs a mortal sword and a destraint. Seem as this shield anvil is so big then the mortal sword has got to be úber strong and powerful and amazing and the destriant may be a God like the Redeemer? Okay I haven't thought too much about who they will be, but they have to be there as part of the three!

I am so excited, I really want to read the last book, even though this may not feature in it!! Today I am going out and buying night of Knives and return of the crimson guard, up until today I have only read the SE novels as I am overwhelmed with how great they are, I hope ICE doesn't dissappoint :(

#117 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

I think it would be a really poetic ending if Icarium and Mappo together again once more have a repeat scene of the first scene in DHG except in Kolanse

#118 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Remind me about the scene...

#119 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

I think that there will be an Azath house in Kolanse. The azath have been a recurrent theme throughout the series, and I think this is how Paran will get to kolanse in the first place maybe??

#120 User is offline   kingnothing 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

View PostTattersail, on 09 August 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

I think that there will be an Azath house in Kolanse. The azath have been a recurrent theme throughout the series, and I think this is how Paran will get to kolanse in the first place maybe??

Oh my effin god!!! Just thinking about paran emerging from an azath house followed by the Host to woop some FA ass just blew my mind. And it was even more amazing since as I was reading it I was listening to the 'INCEPTION' soundtrack!!
Could you imagine that music playing to Paran emerging out of the azath when all hope seems to be lost??? Oh god I have shivers and I don't even care if it won't happen haha

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users