• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#121 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Yep, the old quick save. Bummer if you accidentally the wrong key..

Fallout 3 lockpicking was fun, although the level thing was wierd - adding experience points just meant you could access higher level locks, rather than improving your lock-picking skill, making it easier.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#122 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, they did that strangely. But that's the price of mini-games. It becomes about player skill, for the actual picking. ;)

Not that they couldn't have made it easier with your level, but that's the path they went down, contrasting with most other games. XD

@Apt - this is the last time I ever believe a gaming achievement or awesome story you tell us! Cheater! :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#123 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostAptorian, on May 24 2009, 02:40 PM, said:

I have about 2, 5 million in the bank right now. It's more or less become a hobby for me to feed the bank account and watch the numbers grow.

I love the garden behind the Mages University. You can pick up almost 1000 flowers every 3 days. That a lot of cash. I went from 20 something alchemy to a hundred very quickly.

wat garden?

#124 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

When you've gotten recommendations from all the guilds you will be allowed into the University. In the garden there are flowers everywhere, all kinds.

#125 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

the bit inbeetween the hall and the other 7 places where you can enchant an stuff wih ridiculous names? i dont remember there been that much there

#126 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Really? Maybe it's one of my addons, but there is tons of flowers along the walls and at each end of the half moon.

#127 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

could be a side effect of ure mods but on my GOTY edition on the ps3 theres a few bt not loads.

Odil farm by weynon priory is my favorite for alchemy ingredients

#128 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

SI is really good for ingredients. In the palace there's a garden on the Mania side of things where you can just pick stuff for free.

And deer...those peaceful lovely deer. How I love shooting them and making health potions from their venison.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#129 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

Holy frak

Sheogorath just turned into Juggalag!

New Sheoth is doomed!!!
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#130 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

HAHA

not anymore.

I am now lord sheogorath, ruler of the Shivering Isles....and I can summon golden saints, flesh atronachs and dark seducers at will.

Plus I get some seriously ugly clothes to run around in.

Need a break from this game before I go to finish the main quest tho. Back to Fallout 3!!!
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#131 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Just bought the game of the year edition of this, so it's got the Shivering isles and the Isle of the 9s (or whatever the other big expansion is called). Debating which of the other downloads to spend money on. I bought the castle expansion and the one that puts spellbooks in the dungeons to teach you new spells. Are the others worth it? There's a wizard tower, a piraate cove, horse armor, and I think a couple others.

Excellent game so far, if I had known how similar it was to morrowwind I would have owned it a long time ago.
Error: Signature not valid

#132 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

didn't "The Elder Scrolls" part of the title suggest similarities?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#133 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

The Dunbarrow Cove one will give you access to a fence and give you the opportunity to get a lot of money by sending your pirates out to pillage. Mezunes Razor is my fav. because it actually is a pretty sweet quest and can give you tons of loot. Plus you get the best light armor in the game.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#134 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

View PostGothos, on 08 October 2009 - 11:24 PM, said:

didn't "The Elder Scrolls" part of the title suggest similarities?

I figured t would be similar, but not THAT similar.

#135 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Did someone just call Oblivion even remotely similar to Morrowind? *takes deep, calming breaths*

*from far away, the sound of many erupting volcanoes is heard*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#136 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, it's pretty freaking similar. The graphics are better, and the menu system is different, but still, very similar, which is not a bad thing.

My biggest bitch so far is that thye've screwed up the precision you had in marrowwind when dropping items. You could put stuff exactly where you wanted, which made decorating your pad easy. in Oblivion, shit just plops out randomly in an approxomate generalization of where you wanted to set it down. Small bitch though.

#137 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Until your standing on one of the islands outside anvil and accidentally hit drop instead of equip on an awesome ring and it goes gawd knows where, then ploop, into the ocean.

Ooops.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#138 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

It's called using the 'grab' function, RLY. You can place stuff fairly precisely using that. Though not heavier objects, like bodies...
>.>

As for Oblivion and Morrowind being similar...aside from being RPGs set in the same world, the two games play VERY differently. For a start, combat is simplified, and completely disregards character skill now. Magic no longer has failure, or requires readying, and half the spells (as well as half the types of weapons and skills associated with the game) are gone.
The storylines are all short and weak, except maybe the Dark Brotherhood - one thing they did BETTER in Oblivion, imo. Voice acting added, while neat in and of itself, ruins a lot of conversation options and cuts the depth of the game right back. Main quest is short, easy, and dull. Characters have, somehow, less personality. A lot of the 'feel' of Morrowind is gone, though that's in part due to the change of location.
Level scaling and loot scaling both mean you never encounter enemies you can't defeat, and never encounter loot that is unique - get to higher levels and you will find bandits with Daedric items all the time. There used to be exactly 1 full set of Daedric. You used to have to come back to locations because you were too weak to deal with the creatures/NPC's there...that's no more.
Half of the unique items are gone in addition to the above. Daedric Crescent? Gone. Chrysamere? Gone. Fork of Horripilation? Not quite what it once was, and not in the original game, either. The Webspinner items? Gone. Eltonbrand? Gone. Obviously Kagrenac's tools and Wraithguard are not there, but those I can understand, due to the location shift.
The Thieve's Guild is crap now. Not to mention that the stuff you can steal is all dull and boring. Best thing to do is loot the Mage's Guilds, still, but mostly that is just stealing alembics and other alchemical tools. And hardly any of those are above Journeyman quality. And that quality has little effect now, if you are an alchemist.
Oh, and due to the removal of short blade, as an assassin you're better off using a longsword. Because it still gets the one-handed weapon x6 bonus to damage, but does WAY more damage than any knife. I mean. Assassin. With a longsword. It used to work in Morrowind because short blade meant that you could actually hit stuff with knives while you couldn't with swords. Now, you can't EVER do more damage with knives than with swords, sneaking or not, and it comes down to role-playing. I can't believe they removed short blade as a skill.
Fast travel to any visited location, with the cities already open, and no depletion of fatigue while running means that the map, while 'physically' larger than Morrowind is far, far smaller, and boring to boot (aside from the eye-candy, which wears off after a month or so - it's just the same old trees and grass, same mediaeval housing...given the Imperials used to play more like Romans with tower shields and an Emperor and whatnot, it's strange that they'd change the style so much...and the Blades? Seriously, NONE of them are spies any more. I can take some of them being guards/soldiers...but surely they have some internal agents?). It used to take HOURS to walk places in Morrowind, or cost you a significant amount of gold, which you often didn't have at low levels. The introduction of horses when you can afford them makes it even faster.
Quest compass means you never have to search for anything ever again. Just go straight there, don't worry about getting lost, or having to ask around. People used to struggle in Morrowind with finding Balmora and Caius Cosades, for crying out loud!
And, of course, the closed cities mean that you have a lot more loading screens than before. Oh, and apparently summoning skeletons is perfectly fine, in the middle of any city OR even the Arcane University, when Necromancy is outlawed. Right. Oh, and your character is so bad at conjuration, they can summon one, yes one, creature at any time. One. With the whole new Apprentice->Journeyman->Expert->Master system, I was expecting it to be a limit based on that. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. But no. Even a Master of Conjuration can summon one creature. And those creatures? A Xivilai or a Lich. Both of which, when you finally get to level 20 having trained hard and long in the University practice room, get mowed down in five seconds by the Legion guards (Lich), or don't do any damage and unsummon after 20 seconds because you don't have enough Magicka to make them last longer. The same Legion guards, btw, who I can beat on LEVEL TWO with my warrior...though admittedly it gets harder (HOW? HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY IT GETTING HARDER at HIGHER LEVELS), though still not *hard* like it was in Morrowind, to beat them the more you level up.

*phew*

*looks at post*

Yeah, sorry about that. I *do* still like the game. But it is a VERY different, mostly inferior, game to Morrowind. I'm probably biased, because I love Morrowind more than probably any other game I've played. But it is still not similar in the least to Oblivion. I hope you can see some of the differences now. And just in case you missed it: I DO still like Oblivion. I do. Honest.

Level scaling. GRAWR.

Shinrei said:

#139 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

it's inferior in the numerous elements they share. the most important aspects - skill system, open world policy, factions, class system, crafting, npc interaction, controls, the ridiculously sucky combat system, quest structure... it's a modified morrowind, plain and simple. it has a few additions, lacks a few other things, but there are just details - the core of the game is still the same. these games are similar in the same manner than Diablo 1 and 2 are similar, and how C&C and Red Alert are similar.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#140 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

View PostGothos, on 11 October 2009 - 09:59 AM, said:

it's inferior in the numerous elements they share. the most important aspects - skill system, open world policy, factions, class system, crafting, npc interaction, controls, the ridiculously sucky combat system, quest structure... it's a modified morrowind, plain and simple. it has a few additions, lacks a few other things, but there are just details - the core of the game is still the same. these games are similar in the same manner than Diablo 1 and 2 are similar, and how C&C and Red Alert are similar.

Oooh, don't get me started, Gothos!
Skill system, aside from being truncated in selection now, is also rearranged - minor skills no longer really exist, they've been merged with miscellaneous. The levelling is therefore completely changed as well now.
Factions have all changed, and the system no longer allows for mutually exclusive factions either - the Great Houses are gone, with nothing to replace them.
Crafting, I assume you mean armourer skill, changed when the repair hammers stopped being the same.
NPC interaction is fairly similar, but the voice acting changed it entirely at the same time - I already mentioned that.
Combat system? Completely different. You no longer have a hit chance, and the different types of attacks only come into play with "power attacks", and then they are controlled by movement but not before. Don't forget, weapons used to have different damage based on slashing/thrusting/swiping, now they don't.

Otherwise all that stuff you mentioned is practically what defines RPGs as a whole! Sure, they have aspects in common, and 'modified Morrowoind' would be a good description, but they still made huge changes, which is why I think they aren't similar in the slightest. Beyond the obvious. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users