• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#101 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

not all that much tbh, still, the content itself is rather awesome.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#102 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

Yeah, to me, SI recaptured some of that Morrowind feel - the strangeness, but awesomeness at the same time. Better in many ways than vanilla Oblivion, though sadly a lot smaller and less to do.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#103 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition available on Steam for 24 euroes.

http://store.steampo....com/app/22330/

#104 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

Finally working through the main quest in Shivering Isles now. Fuck I forget how much I love this game when I put it down for awhile.

I even just have the GOTY edition with "core rules" (read: no mods) for PS3 that everybody claims is "broken" and I still have a stupid amount of fun with it. I'm cruising around right now with Endurance and Strength maxed (yes at the expense of other stuff) and my Knights of the 9 armour. I've been regularly going up against 3+ Knights of Order (on the Shivering Isles) and not even feeling it. That armour is fracking good. I've been working on my intelligence and restoration quite a bit too cause mid-battle healing is where its at.

Funny thing though, when you get going against the Knights of Order in a bad way (maybe 5 quests into the main shivering isles questline) you'll want to carry around a few extra swords. Those bastards have this annoying habit of using a disarming attack. When its just 1 or 2 and you're blocking them well its not a problem, but when its 3 or 4 of them at once, they occasionally land a hit and you all of a sudden are fighting unarmed.

Question about enemies though. The priests of order are sometimes unkillable. I don't know what it is, but maybe 75% of the time I'll kill them but they just go unconscious and are surrounded by lightning that hurts me when I try to loot them. The other 25% of the time they go down like any other enemy. WTF? Is there some technique used for permanently killing them and I just don't realize what I'm doing? Or are some just immune to death?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#105 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Jul 14 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

Finally working through the main quest in Shivering Isles now. Fuck I forget how much I love this game when I put it down for awhile.

I even just have the GOTY edition with "core rules" (read: no mods) for PS3 that everybody claims is "broken" and I still have a stupid amount of fun with it. I'm cruising around right now with Endurance and Strength maxed (yes at the expense of other stuff) and my Knights of the 9 armour. I've been regularly going up against 3+ Knights of Order (on the Shivering Isles) and not even feeling it. That armour is fracking good. I've been working on my intelligence and restoration quite a bit too cause mid-battle healing is where its at.

Funny thing though, when you get going against the Knights of Order in a bad way (maybe 5 quests into the main shivering isles questline) you'll want to carry around a few extra swords. Those bastards have this annoying habit of using a disarming attack. When its just 1 or 2 and you're blocking them well its not a problem, but when its 3 or 4 of them at once, they occasionally land a hit and you all of a sudden are fighting unarmed.

Question about enemies though. The priests of order are sometimes unkillable. I don't know what it is, but maybe 75% of the time I'll kill them but they just go unconscious and are surrounded by lightning that hurts me when I try to loot them. The other 25% of the time they go down like any other enemy. WTF? Is there some technique used for permanently killing them and I just don't realize what I'm doing? Or are some just immune to death?

Spoiler

#106 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

@bubs

ooooooh....I shut down one of those things before and it didn't stay shut down. It stopped spawning knights for like 1 minute, then all of a sudden started again.

Do you have to feed it hearts and then kill the priest cos he reactivates it or something?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#107 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

yes. it takes three hearts....if you don't kill the priest he will reactivate it.

#108 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, damn annoying until you figure it out, eh? :question:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#109 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

well I got one shut down finally, but holy crap! What a battle!

Those priests are damn annoying though. Enemies that make you chase them halfway across the continent are effing dumb.

I know, going toe to toe with a sword-swinging paladin is not exactly realistic for a wizard but holy crap are they annoying to kill when they keep running away.

So satisfying when the stupid AI runs the fracking priest into a rock and I catch up though.....slash slash slash slash slash *absorb pitiful spell* slash

DEAD WOOOOOO

Also, knights of order make the best noise when you hit em. Reminds me of original Diablo when you get to the lower levels and start fighting the big knight thingys. Less of a *uhngh* and more of a *GRAAAH*. As though they're more mad than hurt that you hit them .

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 15 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#110 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Keep a bow on hand, they tend to run only so far. That and when you get up in levels with bow you get a zoom feature.....

#111 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

yeah, except leveling bows takes FOREVER. Holy crap.

the only way I've been able to keep it on par with my other stats is to have a shoot-the-conjured-skeleton marathon every few levels.

I did get it to the point where it would slow people down with my rogue character. It was awesome.

Also fun murdering deer in mainland Cyrodill
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#112 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

I always feel guilty when I kill the deer. They're so peacefull and innocent.

#113 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

I spent training on bow after I had maxed the stats i want too

#114 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

as in you used the trainers?

They're damn expensive.

I just use them for the occasional boost here and there.

And the deer are really good things to shoot in the early game because even a novice of alchemy can use the venison to make restore health potions.

First quest I'm doing next time I turn on the game is the daedric shrine quest that gives you the unbreakable lockpick. The lockpick minigame in oblivion has got to be the most retarded thing ever. Its easy enough, but oh so frustrating when you're picking a very hard lock. I like the Fallout 3 lockpick game so much better.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#115 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Fallout 3 lockpicking is awesome! ^^

Morrowind's was just based on character skill (fair enough, it IS an RPG), Oblivion's was a fucking joke - especially with the unbreakable, eternal use, Skeleton Key. Fallout 3's was pretty much the smack-bang ideal of the 'mini-game' lockpicking. Worked really well. :harhar:

Shinrei said:

#116 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

The lock pick is a must!!!other wise you miss out on a lot of good loot......and you should max out training sessions at every level, you will advance much quicker.

#117 User is offline   lokiman 

• ...Is afraid

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

What lockpick minigame? I may actually know it, I just can't remember.
Remember, God lets good looking people into Heaven. That said, you're one ugly Bastard.

#118 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Just in case anyone in interested, bethsoft is giving away the 1st and 2nd Elder Scroll games for free (Arena and Daggerfall) They are pretty old and buggy and need to be run in Dosbox, but Daggerfall is still fun to play.
Link: http://www.elderscro...loads_games.htm
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#119 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

I did try Daggerfall but... it's just too overwhelming. it's too effing big. it's too effing confusing at the start. I'm not about to devote a few months of my time getting to know it, simply don't have the time
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#120 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

View PostSilencer, on Jul 15 2009, 11:47 PM, said:

Fallout 3 lockpicking is awesome! ^^

Morrowind's was just based on character skill (fair enough, it IS an RPG), Oblivion's was a fucking joke - especially with the unbreakable, eternal use, Skeleton Key. Fallout 3's was pretty much the smack-bang ideal of the 'mini-game' lockpicking. Worked really well. ;)

You mean the f5 f9 button press game you do when ever a lockpick brakes? :p

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users