• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#141 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

Wow, you're passionate about hte subject. I'm not too far into the game yet, so I suppose I'm not really qualified to debate this yet, but I do agree that Marrowwind seems to be the better game.

What's this grab function you speak of? Not sure what you're talking about. Like I said, just started playing. Is this a pc thing only? I'm playing on the 360.
Error: Signature not valid

#142 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:34 AM

Try holding left bumper when aiming at an object. :)

I have the game on Xbox, and the GotY on PC. For Morrowind I have it on original Xbox, two normal versions on PC, and one GotY edition on PC. So...yeah, I'm passionate. About both the games and their differences. *shrug*
Good that you like Morrowind more, though. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#143 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Sweet. That grab function is helpful. Still doesn't make up for the fact that I can't just drop things exactly where I want them to go like in Morrowind, but it helps.

From what I've seen and heard so far, I really don't understand how they could move backwards in so many areas, especially when making the jump to a more powerful consul. Oh well. If I spend all of my time thinking about how it's inferior to Morrowind, I won't enjoy it at all. While it may be inferior, if Morrowind had never been created Oblivion would considered a pretty kickass game. I need ot just try to enjoy what they did right, not dwell on the negatives.

#144 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

@Silencer

Yah, except morrowind is old and has shitty graphics

therefore inferior

stick that in your nerd pipe and smoke it!:unworthy:
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#145 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've recently got back into playing this, and am really annoyed at the robe situation in Oblivion. Oblivion has like no variety compared to Morrowind, and Morrowind's look better too. I wish I could enchant some of the cooler-looking clothes, then I could actually look the part. :unworthy:
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#146 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

I liked how in Morrowind you could wear a robe on top of your armor. Not so in Oblivion. Weak.

#147 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:15 PM

Yay! Also, *points at MTS's post* See? Morrowind even has better-looking robes than Oblivion. :unworthy:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#148 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

I'm always disappointed when a sequel simplifies character systems/ tech trees/ magic systems and so on. I don't want less complexity. I want more.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#149 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

Or at least more refined versions of what was there, not a Lite version. XD

Shinrei said:

#150 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 October 2009 - 06:13 PM, said:

I'm always disappointed when a sequel simplifies character systems/ tech trees/ magic systems and so on. I don't want less complexity. I want more.

you know of course that Morrowind did the same to Daggerfal right? :p
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#151 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, there is also the fact that Daggerfall randomly generated areas, and had 2D graphics. At least with Daggerfall -> Morrowind, the change in graphics was important. XD

But yes, it did too. That enabled better storytelling. Oblivion? Yeah. That doesn't have good storytelling. :p

Shinrei said:

#152 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

Daggerfall had it's faults, yes, worst of which are, in today's times, graphics, interface and the sheer, insane size of the stuff. It's WAY too big.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#153 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:38 AM

I'd agree there. And the fact that the distances between places changed due to the randomly generated areas. XD

But then again, I feel that Oblivion is 'small' - smaller than Morrowind, even, and that it's size is further reduced by things like fast travel and horses, which makes it feel incredibly small. Which is not good. Especially not when half the excitement is supposed to be exploring! :p

Shinrei said:

#154 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

at least there's no cliff racers :p
as for exploring, I always found that the Gothic games had better landscape - if not in graphic quality (gothic 1 has a pretty bad quality compared to oblivion, or even morrowind), then in it being hand-made and thought through and... can't place it exactly, but the landscapes there are awesome for some reason... maybe 'cause I'm a mountain freak :p

#155 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hey, what are some good mods for this? I've finished the main quest, am Archmage of the Mage's Guild and Grandmaster of the Fighter's Guild, and am just finishing up the Dark Brotherhood now, so it's getting slightly boring. I looked at some, but they seemed to be mainly aesthetic, like Horse Armour or BTmod, which I don't really care about to be honest.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#156 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you wait a bit, then the Dark Brotherhood Chronicles is coming out eventually - I'm involved in that, as I loved the DB questline, which was by far the most involving and interesting faction for me. It expands the plot hugely, carrying on with the end of the quest, which most people agree is disappointing.

DB end-of-faction-questline spoiler:
Spoiler

There are literally tons of mods out for almost every aspect of the game. What parts do you like? Check out TESNexus, it's has plenty of categories to refine your search. ;)

@Gothos - yeah, aside from the graphics. But cliff racers, omg. Thank the gods for Saint Jiub. XD

Shinrei said:

#157 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

View PostSilencer, on 22 October 2009 - 08:54 AM, said:

DB end-of-faction-questline spoiler:
Spoiler

best faction indeed, and I loved the shout out to Hitchcock ;)
keep us informed on that mod, sir, I'd love to play it

#158 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Sure thing, Gothos. ^^

It's been running for ages, but we're at the final hurdles at last. *sigh* Voice acting, scripting. Big tasks, but not as big as what has been covered so far. ;)

Shinrei said:

#159 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

Is it just a pc mod or will it ver make it as DLC for the xbox?

#160 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:40 AM

No, only official Bethesda items ever sell as DLC. Everything else is exclusively free, on PC, created by users. Sorry RLY.

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users