• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#161 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

Damn you pc users with your special content and mods. No fair.
Error: Signature not valid

#162 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hey, we pay the price in other areas. Compatibility/stability, more expensive machines...so on. ;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#163 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:09 AM

Question: If I beat the main quest, will that affect my ability to do all the side quests? I'm trying to decide if I should do all the side stuff and then do the main quest, or the other way around since the boss is supposed to be easier at lower levels.

#164 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

No, it makes no difference. Once you finish the main quest, you can go around as you please. Only thing is most of the time when you click 'rumours' the people will gush about what happened rather than tell real rumours.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#165 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:32 AM

Yup.

And all enemies are easier to defeat at lower levels. :)
That being said, the rewards you get for quests and find in dungeons is also weaker.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#166 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

So should I do the main quest first or wait? I plan on going for close to 100% percent completion, or as close to it as I can get without going crazy, doing all the guilds and stuff. Main quest first or side quests first?

#167 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

View PostSilencer, on 23 October 2009 - 02:40 AM, said:

No, only official Bethesda items ever sell as DLC. Everything else is exclusively free, on PC, created by users. Sorry RLY.

let me translate for you.

GET A FUCKING PC ALREADY.

thank you for your attention.

also, item quest rewards are all relative to your level. if you get, say, the unique shield from Chorrol at level 3, it's going to suck. if you get it at level 20, it's gonna kick ass. these items don't evolve with your character... unless you get one of the most brilliant mods ever named "QuestLeveler" that levels your uniques up to the higher version once you get into the "next" level range. nifty.

GET A PC DAMMIT.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 24 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#168 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:15 AM

Or you could get one of the overhauls - Oscuro's, Martingen's, Francesco's...they all help.

But yes, get it on PC, for a good PC, and get the mods.

Also, it doesn't matter what order you do it in, but I liked doing the main quest first on my first run-through. Then I completely ignore the main quest on my next play-through, 'cuz it sucked, and just do all the fun side-quests. 100% completion is not that hard in Oblivion, I'm afraid.

You want to deal with the Oblivion gates popping up? Advance the main quest.
Want to close 'em all and stop having to worry about that stupid feeling that you're letting the world burn (even though you aren't...stupid quest-progression-based time-progression) while doing other stuff? Finish the main quest.
Can live with the above? Do side quests first...the guilds and such. They're more fun anyway...

Shinrei said:

#169 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

This game is pissing me off. It's always hard to win a fight, you can't get more powerful. Clearing one stupid dungeon is a major undertaking, because everything in it is too fucking powerful. Simple skeleton champions? If there's two in the same room, you'rescrewed. Add a wraith running around, and it's game over.

Oh, I know. I must be in a dungeon that;s too advanced. I better go grind out some levels and...dammit. Tht won't help. They'll always be just as hard. Screw Bethesda, screw them in their stuppid asses.

#170 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

You've found the joys of level scaling...only in reverse to what I experienced. I always found the opponents to be too weak. And the loot sucks, because it's all scaled.

Stock up on health potions. Get a silver weapon or something to deal with the ghostly creatures, and BACK UP. Don't just stand, step backwards, quickly, after each round of attacks. Just my suggestions. Jump back if you have to.

Shinrei said:

#171 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

Oblivion suffers from an attempt to delegate swinging and dodging to the player. ergo, combat totally sucks, as it did in morrowind too. it just isn't bethesda's strong point it seems.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#172 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Oblivion was just boring when I played it. Instead of picking any of the other unused areas of the world, they picked milquetoast-cyrodil with its bland western castles and grass and rivers and *yawn*. Morrowind, for all its hinky flaws made you feel like you were somewhere special, at least that very first time. the creaking of a giant crab shell as you walk through it? check. Shrines that make you wonder how many people got sacrificed there every day, full of evil daedra? oh boy yes.

Plus: No levitate=fail.

P.S. Hi Gothos :)

#173 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

View PostGothos, on 24 October 2009 - 04:10 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 23 October 2009 - 02:40 AM, said:

No, only official Bethesda items ever sell as DLC. Everything else is exclusively free, on PC, created by users. Sorry RLY.

let me translate for you.

GET A FUCKING PC ALREADY.

thank you for your attention.

also, item quest rewards are all relative to your level. if you get, say, the unique shield from Chorrol at level 3, it's going to suck. if you get it at level 20, it's gonna kick ass. these items don't evolve with your character... unless you get one of the most brilliant mods ever named "QuestLeveler" that levels your uniques up to the higher version once you get into the "next" level range. nifty.

GET A PC DAMMIT.

IMO this game is way more fun to play with a controller. You don't have all the mods, but the core game is fine unless you're in the "why can't oblivion be exactly the same as morrowind? waaaaaaah!" camp.

The item scaling is an all too true reality of the game, but there's enough other loot that as long as you aren't powerleveling and are playing the game simply for enjoyment, you aren't going to miss getting that special shield or whatever.

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 25 October 2009 - 08:04 AM, said:

This game is pissing me off. It's always hard to win a fight, you can't get more powerful. Clearing one stupid dungeon is a major undertaking, because everything in it is too fucking powerful. Simple skeleton champions? If there's two in the same room, you'rescrewed. Add a wraith running around, and it's game over.

Oh, I know. I must be in a dungeon that;s too advanced. I better go grind out some levels and...dammit. Tht won't help. They'll always be just as hard. Screw Bethesda, screw them in their stuppid asses.

I've found it to be a big function of your play style. If you're going to be a squishy little mage or a leather-clad assassin, you really can't go toe-to-toe with warrior enemies and expect to win. You have to use environment, fire arrows/spells while backpedaling, etc.

If you are a fighter and are still having trouble with multiple enemies, go complete the arena "quest" line. Its pretty easy and will teach you how to do melee combat in a hurry. I also found going with one-handed weapons and a shield is waaaay better than blocking with a 2-handed weapon. Pretty much every enemy has a standard attack sequence and a set time period between one strike and the next. I often go in with the shield up like a malazan marine, wait until he bashes into it, then do 1,2 or 3 (depending on the enemy's speed) quick slashes with my sword and immediately go back to defensive. If you manage to stagger him, that's when you want to throw in a power attack. Otherwise, stick with the shield, quick slash, shield, quick slash sequence until he's dead.

Aditionally, when facing down multiple enemies, try to select one of the group, equip your highest damage magical weapon and go in swinging at him until he's dead. Don't try and hit the others, don't try and block (cause you can't very well with multiple enemies) ...just concentrate on him. Then re-equip your everyday sword and dispatch the second normally. For 3 enemies, keep going with the magic weapon until you're down to 1. I've found its pretty difficult to handle more than 1 enemy at a time with the regular shield,slash,shield sequence. This technique also works well for enemy mages...since they usually summon something and run away. Just run at the fuckers slashing wildly and you'll get em. Ignore anything summoned.

If you're playing a warrior class, its well worth your while to max out strength and endurance (or whichever one gives you max health) as quickly as you possibly can. It also doesn't hurt during this process to level your restoration by healing yourself as often as you can. At first its useless, but later in the game it pays off because you can actually heal yourself up for free after and during battles.

The combat-heavy style of the game leads naturally to much faster leveling for melee and defensive skills. Disproportionately so in my opinion, but that's what always makes the melee characters easier to play. If you want to win at oblivion as a mage or archer, you have to work a LOT harder for it. I've found with every class type I've played that you really have to stick to the core attributes and max them as quickly as you can, then you have time to flesh out the secondary characteristics. If you're a mage, max out intelligence and whatever one controls combat spells. If you're an archer, max the attribute that governs marksmanship. blah blah, you get the point. In my experience you never suffer from maxing core attributes as quickly as possible

View PostSilencer, on 25 October 2009 - 08:15 AM, said:

You've found the joys of level scaling...only in reverse to what I experienced. I always found the opponents to be too weak. And the loot sucks, because it's all scaled.

Stock up on health potions. Get a silver weapon or something to deal with the ghostly creatures, and BACK UP. Don't just stand, step backwards, quickly, after each round of attacks. Just my suggestions. Jump back if you have to.

View PostGothos, on 25 October 2009 - 01:47 PM, said:

Oblivion suffers from an attempt to delegate swinging and dodging to the player. ergo, combat totally sucks, as it did in morrowind too. it just isn't bethesda's strong point it seems.

For the love of god guys, this is getting worse than the wheel of time thread. We all know you don't like it because of level scaling. Its not the same as oblivion and probably wasn't meant to be. I, for one, really enjoy oblivion and don't think the level scaling breaks anything at all.

Just stop comparing it to something it isn't and play it for what its worth, or don't. Enough with the complaining!:)
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#174 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

I spent 8 months straight playing, and loving Oblivion. I like it as a game. I'm sorry if pointing out the things I don't like about it annoys you, but...the truth hurts, as they say. :D

Besides which, this thread would die fairly quickly if everyone just sang it's praises, and never raised queries or things they didn't like about the game. You do realise that criticism is the only thing between games getting better and games sliding in a pit of sludge that no-one wants to play except 5 year olds, right?

Shinrei said:

#175 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Best get to the cellar boys. There's a nerd fight a-brewin.

#176 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

View PostSilencer, on 27 October 2009 - 06:20 AM, said:

I spent 8 months straight playing, and loving Oblivion. I like it as a game. I'm sorry if pointing out the things I don't like about it annoys you, but...the truth hurts, as they say. :D

Besides which, this thread would die fairly quickly if everyone just sang it's praises, and never raised queries or things they didn't like about the game. You do realise that criticism is the only thing between games getting better and games sliding in a pit of sludge that no-one wants to play except 5 year olds, right?

I realize criticism saves the games from the pit of doom

And respect your opinion about level scaling etc...

You've just stated it about 5 times in this thread already.

Meh, say what you want though. Its cool. No nerd fight on this end.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#177 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 26 October 2009 - 01:54 PM, said:

View PostGothos, on 25 October 2009 - 01:47 PM, said:

For the love of god guys, this is getting worse than the wheel of time thread. We all know you don't like it because of level scaling. Its not the same as oblivion and probably wasn't meant to be. I, for one, really enjoy oblivion and don't think the level scaling breaks anything at all.

Just stop comparing it to something it isn't and play it for what its worth, or don't. Enough with the complaining!:D

oh don't get me wrong, I loved the game. but it has weak points, and there's no going around it. every game has weak points. it's always the issue of The Awesome outgunning The Suck. it does in Oblivion.

#178 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:58 AM

:D

See? Gothos and I agree. XD And Cerveza and I agree. XD

Shinrei said:

#179 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

ONe of the actual benefits of the leveling system is that while it is illogical for bandits top have kick ass weapons and armor, it makes raising cash much easier. Oh, you've got some glass gear? Thanks, I'll be killing you and selling that real quick.

#180 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

hows the combat training going.

keep with it, Oblivion is worth the effort of figuring out.

I don't have much trouble with it anymore, but it took a lot of dicking around to figure out a system that works for my various classes.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic