• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12601 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 May 2023 - 05:26 PM, said:

So we watched the 2020 live action MULAN.

I'd avoided it when it came out as it sounded like people didn''t like the changes, and many people called it boring...and there was the China-specific political issue as well...we just didn't bother for so long.

But the other day I re-watched one of my fave American-Made Wuxia/Xanxia movies, FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (still awesome BTW), and it made me want to finally give MULAN a go, so the wife and I sa down to it.

Now, I have NEVER seen the animated one. It's one of the only Disney 2D animated movies I've not seen (the other being HERCULES)...so I did not come into this film with any story, plot or character baggage.

We liked it. A thought it was quite good. I found it to be a pretty decent Wuxia movie. Plus Liu Yufei being the lead, and Jet Li being the Emperor gave me a movie link to FORBIDDEN KINGDOM which they were both in, and then I got Donnie Yen, a 'never-aging' Gong Li (who can still steal my heart at like 57 years old) and Jason Scott Lee as well! I fail to see the problem.

Anyways yeah. Great fun, and everyone was really good in it. Top tier Disney Live Action remake....but again, that may be because I've never seen the animated one so I'd have no knowledge of character or plot changes....

Hercules is a blast.

#12602 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:24 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 May 2023 - 07:10 PM, said:

I'd avoided it when it came out as it sounded like people didn''t like the changes, and many people called it boring...and there was the China-specific political issue as well...we just didn't bother for so long.

But the other day I re-watched one of my fave American-Made Wuxia/Xanxia movies, FORBIDDEN KINGDOM (still awesome BTW), and it made me want to finally give MULAN a go, so the wife and I sa down to it.

Now, I have NEVER seen the animated one. It's one of the only Disney 2D animated movies I've not seen (the other being HERCULES)...so I did not come into this film with any story, plot or character baggage.

We liked it. A thought it was quite good. I found it to be a pretty decent Wuxia movie. Plus Liu Yufei being the lead, and Jet Li being the Emperor gave me a movie link to FORBIDDEN KINGDOM which they were both in, and then I got Donnie Yen, a 'never-aging' Gong Li (who can still steal my heart at like 57 years old) and Jason Scott Lee as well! I fail to see the problem.

Anyways yeah. Great fun, and everyone was really good in it. Top tier Disney Live Action remake....but again, that may be because I've never seen the animated one so I'd have no knowledge of character or plot changes....

Hercules is a blast.

I'll probably end up seeing it when the kids put it on one day.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12603 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 23 May 2023 - 11:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 May 2023 - 06:24 PM, said:

I haven't seen the live version. My very loose understanding of the issues w it are the loss of the cute sidekick dragon, that it otherwise did nothing new w the story but just live-action'd most of the animated version, and that there are always loud haters hating on things that aren't exactly the way they falsely remember them from their childhood.

My kids grew up with the animated Mulan, as well as Lion King and the others, and it was one of their favorites. My wife and I both love it also. Ming-Na Wen, Eddie Murphy (before he voiced Donkey in Shrek), BD Wong, Miguel Ferrer, Pat Morita, James Hong and George Takei are in it. And I still sing the Donny Osmond song from it every now and then, in my head. My kids were a riot when they sang it!

#12604 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:03 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 23 May 2023 - 11:42 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 May 2023 - 06:24 PM, said:

I haven't seen the live version. My very loose understanding of the issues w it are the loss of the cute sidekick dragon, that it otherwise did nothing new w the story but just live-action'd most of the animated version, and that there are always loud haters hating on things that aren't exactly the way they falsely remember them from their childhood.

My kids grew up with the animated Mulan, as well as Lion King and the others, and it was one of their favorites. My wife and I both love it also. Ming-Na Wen, Eddie Murphy (before he voiced Donkey in Shrek), BD Wong, Miguel Ferrer, Pat Morita, James Hong and George Takei are in it. And I still sing the Donny Osmond song from it every now and then, in my head. My kids were a riot when they sang it!

Loved the animated version as a kid and still very fond of it as an adult. Still can't stop my brain when someone says "Let's get down to business" internally responding with "TO DEFEAT THE HUNS!". Has caused a few "Hannah, what are you smiling at?" moments Posted Image
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#12605 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:37 AM

Though I can't help but feel the internet has ruined certain things because to me now, defeating the Huns is more akin to trying to placate a bunch of Karen's in a shopping mall...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12606 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 May 2023 - 07:24 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 May 2023 - 07:10 PM, said:

Hercules is a blast.

I'll probably end up seeing it when the kids put it on one day.

Hercules if flipping awesome. And the soundtrack rules.

Bless my soul! Herc was on a role!

And I still have a massive teenage crush on Meg.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12607 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:21 AM

More like HUNKules!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12608 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 May 2023 - 08:07 AM

Person of the week in every Greek opinion poll!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#12609 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 May 2023 - 08:46 AM

The Sound of Metal was excellent - strong lead performance from Riz Ahmed that showcased both grief and crappy coping strategies to tragic things. It's about a heavy metal drummer (Riz) who is losing his hearing, in denial until it's too late, and then has to figure out how to live a very different life.

The movie had absolutely superb depiction of Deaf/Deaf blind/Hard of Hearing needs, culture, community, and the supports needed/wanted by D/DB/HoH people. This matters to me particularly because I am Deaf.

Strongly recommend it because it's enjoyable in an occasionally grim, occasionally happy, and quite interesting way. If you liked CODA, I think this is a bit different vibe, yet on that level.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12610 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:47 PM

So it's the LEGO movie...like....it even has Will Ferrell in a role where he worries about the clashing of two worlds...

This is going to be the same as Gerwig's other output....becuase lets not mince words, they hid Gerwig's touch in the previous trailers, but this one is DRIPPING with the same stuff from all her output so far...

She's the blonde Sacramento girl who can't stand out in the California Suburbs, so she becomes the "quirky one" (literally the autobiographical plot LADY BIRD) and marries the "quirky tortured screenwriter guy" (14 years her senior) and writes movies about the 90's notion (as if it's somehow a "new" concept in 2023) that "girls can be anything!".....yeah we know they can Greta, you needn't make 5 movies about that. She's Jess from NEW GIRL unironically without the inner awareness.

Like this movie was never going to be for me anyways I admit...but I still expected something along the lines of THE BRADY BUNCH (leaning into the camp of the franchise but telling a fun story) and not THE LEGO movie as written by Greta Gerwig with all her attendant themes.

Ryan Gosling and Margoe Robbie are at the very least KILLING it in their roles it seems...so it's got the actors working for it.

I will say this....I would forgive a LOT if Ferrell is literally playing President Business in this....both films are WB after all....

eDIT: And you CANNOT convince me that the scene where the real world girls (all dressed in black because... of course they are) tell brightly coloured Barbie that they "haven't played with Barbie since they were 5 years old" is not literally something that HAPPENED to little Greta Gerwig one day in her youth, and she's just once again just lashing out at her childhood bullies. And I mean fine....people made fun of me for being too childish at certain ages of my youth...but I feel no need to revenge myself upon them with a scene in a movie...that's just baggage you didn't deal with in therapy.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 May 2023 - 06:00 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12611 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:44 PM

Counterpoint.

It looks silly and fun

#12612 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:03 PM

View PostMacros, on 25 May 2023 - 06:44 PM, said:

Counterpoint.

It looks silly and fun

I fully accept that most people seem to be into this and want to go enjoy it. Have at it.

I guess I just don't care for Greta Gerwig movies (and I REALLY don't like Noah Baumbach's writing either) and before this it KIND of didn't look like one?...but now it definitely does.

I will stand corrected if I watch it one day and it's awesome....but that trailer gives away the entire plot doesn't it? And it looks like bog standard "Toys in existential crisis, go to real world, get a rude awakening, do something and come back to Barbieland as better versions of themselves"....

#12613 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:36 PM

Counterpoint.

Baumbach and Gerwig are both tight.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12614 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 May 2023 - 11:36 AM

View Postworry, on 25 May 2023 - 10:36 PM, said:

Counterpoint.

Baumbach and Gerwig are both tight.

Okay sure, let's talk about the age difference and power difference that fomented their straight ICK union...

The guy is a prototypical tortured indie Hollywood screenwriter with the young ingenue...

#12615 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 May 2023 - 08:46 AM, said:

The Sound of Metal was excellent - strong lead performance from Riz Ahmed that showcased both grief and crappy coping strategies to tragic things. It's about a heavy metal drummer (Riz) who is losing his hearing, in denial until it's too late, and then has to figure out how to live a very different life.

The movie had absolutely superb depiction of Deaf/Deaf blind/Hard of Hearing needs, culture, community, and the supports needed/wanted by D/DB/HoH people. This matters to me particularly because I am Deaf.

Strongly recommend it because it's enjoyable in an occasionally grim, occasionally happy, and quite interesting way. If you liked CODA, I think this is a bit different vibe, yet on that level.

Yeah, great film, I really enjoyed it. I was a bit thrown off at first as I am a metal music fan and I saw trailers with the drummer, so I figured it was some sort of metal music biopic. But it turned out to be an absolute gem of a film with a very different angle. Lovely film.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12616 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 May 2023 - 07:03 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 25 May 2023 - 06:44 PM, said:

Counterpoint.

It looks silly and fun

I fully accept that most people seem to be into this and want to go enjoy it. Have at it.

I guess I just don't care for Greta Gerwig movies (and I REALLY don't like Noah Baumbach's writing either) and before this it KIND of didn't look like one?...but now it definitely does.

I will stand corrected if I watch it one day and it's awesome....but that trailer gives away the entire plot doesn't it? And it looks like bog standard "Toys in existential crisis, go to real world, get a rude awakening, do something and come back to Barbieland as better versions of themselves"....

Watched teasers haven't seen trailers, I do try avoid for Spoilers time.
The rest, eh, I don't know who they are, and couldn't name any movies they've done unless you tell me, I'm fairly shallow I guess as a critic and unless it's headline news bad people I guess I don't care who they are?

#12617 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 May 2023 - 05:20 PM

Are we actually discussing a Barbie film here? Unless I have really misjudged the forum, surely we are hardly the target audience? I will live happily in the knowledge that - unless I get a daughter or niece - I will remain blissfully unaware of this film.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12618 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 26 May 2023 - 05:42 PM

View PostGorefest, on 26 May 2023 - 05:20 PM, said:

Are we actually discussing a Barbie film here? Unless I have really misjudged the forum, surely we are hardly the target audience? I will live happily in the knowledge that - unless I get a daughter or niece - I will remain blissfully unaware of this film.

I'd rather bleach my eyeballs than watch it...

But each to their own...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12619 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 May 2023 - 06:34 PM

I'll be watching Barbie when I get chance but I am suspicious that Ken will steal the show and that's just wrong because Barbie is THE girl.

@QT - the not playing Barbie since being 5 scene. Isn't that just a universal theme that everyone has been made to feel childish at one time or another? But I like Lady Bird so.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12620 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2023 - 05:34 PM

Watched Fast and Furious 10.

Great action movie but the formula is getting really old.

I applaud Vin Diesel not going down the steroids and growth hormone route to maintain his action hero look, but he sure is looking old and tired. In the first movies you understood that he had an intimidating presence, a sort of danger about him. In these last few movies, he just looks like a mellow dad who's still clinging on to his old glory days.

Besides Diesel and Rodrigues, the rest of the crew mostly seemed like an afterthought.

Jason Momoa was great though. He looked like he was having fun playing a completely over the top super villain. Only problem being his performances kept overpowering Diesels tired presence. Momoa overshadowed everyone.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users