Malazan Empire: Ye Big Movie thread - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • 630
  • 631
  • 632
  • 633
  • 634
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12621 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:06 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 May 2023 - 05:34 PM, said:

Watched Fast and Furious 10.

Besides Diesel and Rodrigues, the rest of the crew mostly seemed like an afterthought.




I watch these movies for Luda and Sun Kang....so as long as they get a decent bit of screen time and pithy lines, I'll be happy.

I think they missed the opportunity to use these films to focus down on some aspect of the supporting casts lives for the plot...like they all seem to be about Dom and the orbit of family and villains that want to take him down...or that one time it was Letty....but yeah, why not make a whole movie revolve around Tej, and then one about Roman....we KIND of had a bit about Han with the whole dead/not dead thing....but yeah, like focusing on different aspects of the varied side characters could have made for some juicy plots that don't feel "samey" or repetitive.

I dunno.

I'll still see it, cause I like a good ridiculous action movie.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12622 User is offline   amphibian 

  • Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 7,963
  • Joined: 28-September 06
  • Location:Upstate NY
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 May 2023 - 01:54 PM

Confess Fletch was pretty decent. A charming version of Fletch as opposed to the ridiculous dickhead version done by Chevy Chase, a decent mystery, and enough fun times to be a very passable movie.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.
0

#12623 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 May 2023 - 01:54 PM, said:

the ridiculous dickhead....Chevy Chase


This just describes the actor himself apparently.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12624 User is offline   Slow Ben 

  • Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 29-September 08
  • Location:Southern Illinois

Posted 29 May 2023 - 04:44 PM

I was just reading an article earlier about what an ass he was on the set of Community.

I did love his smartass version of Fletch though. Confess is in my top 5 in the “to watch” list.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.
0

#12625 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:47 PM

I didn't mind Confess Fletch. Very dry.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
0

#12626 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:37 PM

Speaking of Jackie Chan....here's the new TMNT: MUTANT MAYHEM trailer.

Goddamn this animation is stunning, I love that the turtles are ACTUAL teens, and I was not expecting Baxter Stockman and Superfly as big bads in this...but it's a really good choice to wait to get into Shredder or Kang. Let the Turtles breathe in this one before hitting their main antagonists.

Anyways, I'll be there opening night with my son.


"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12627 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 June 2023 - 12:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12628 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:16 AM

Watching a Finnish movie "Sisu". Done in English. Seems interesting so far, although I'm wondering why in such open countryside when you can see every direction for miles and the terrain is pretty benign he chose to follow the road?



Many other questions ensue. Not affecting the enjoyment, mind you. Even the whole "bad guy academy of shooting".
But why would you wear an infantry helmet when going swimming?

I will never understand the Bad Guy need to make a show of killing the Good Guy instead of just shooting them when they have half a chance.
The way this guy uses a pick, it makes me look at Minecraft in a whole new light.

Very fun though. Run time of 90 minutes also means no fucking around.
Seven insanely bad arsed old guys out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 June 2023 - 11:02 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
0

#12629 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12630 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,844
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!


Cannot get there before this weekend and i am DYINGGG.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#12631 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!


Cannot get there before this weekend and i am DYINGGG.


Note: Spider-Punk will be your spirit animal.

I did NOT know how much I needed a sharp-tongued, anti-authority superhero from Camden-town London in my life...until now. Also, that it took them 3 years to properly animate him shows a level of dedication that none of the other Animation studios are willing to even TRY.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12632 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,844
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!


Cannot get there before this weekend and i am DYINGGG.


Note: Spider-Punk will be your spirit animal.

I did NOT know how much I needed a sharp-tongued, anti-authority superhero from Camden-town London in my life...until now. Also, that it took them 3 years to properly animate him shows a level of dedication that none of the other Animation studios are willing to even TRY.




i almost spent a stupid amount of money on this last week....
spoiler for size
Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#12633 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:04 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!


Cannot get there before this weekend and i am DYINGGG.


Note: Spider-Punk will be your spirit animal.

I did NOT know how much I needed a sharp-tongued, anti-authority superhero from Camden-town London in my life...until now. Also, that it took them 3 years to properly animate him shows a level of dedication that none of the other Animation studios are willing to even TRY.




i almost spent a stupid amount of money on this last week....
spoiler for size
Spoiler



"What's that son? Oh, you want a spider-Punk figure?! I might have to get you two just in case!"

fuck me, where do I buy this glorious thing?

eDIT: $35 on amazon. That's not bad actually.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

#12634 User is offline   Slow Ben 

  • Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 29-September 08
  • Location:Southern Illinois

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:10 AM

Across the Spiderverse. That movie was amazing.

I thought you were probably overreacting, but it is a MASTERPIECE. From start to finish.

Spoiler



But!!! In my quest to avoid spoilers, I did it so well I didn’t realize it was a 2 parter. My 9 year old yelled “what!” in the theater when it ended. Sorry kid, welcome to your first cliffhanger.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 12 June 2023 - 01:10 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.
1

#12635 User is offline   worry 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 14,609
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:30 AM

The next one is scheduled for 2024 at least, so not as big a wait.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.
0

#12636 User is offline   Slow Ben 

  • Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 29-September 08
  • Location:Southern Illinois

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:30 AM

View Postworry, on 12 June 2023 - 02:30 AM, said:

The next one is scheduled for 2024 at least, so not as big a wait.



Thanks. yeah, she made me Google it while the credits were rolling.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.
0

#12637 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,844
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2023 - 09:58 PM, said:

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE is a fucking MASTERPIECE.

Animation, score, voice acting, story, pacing, characterization, editing…

Just fuck me. I knew I was going to like it…but this is TOP level superhero movie stuff for me.

I cannot wait to see it again. Do yourself a favour and go see it before you have anything spoiled.

Seriously it joins the "Best Sequels of the Best Franchises" ranking:

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIENS
TERMINATOR 2
GODFATHER PART II
THE DARK KNIGHT
ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE....


I can't believe none of you people have seen this yet. I needs to chat about it! Come on!


Cannot get there before this weekend and i am DYINGGG.


Note: Spider-Punk will be your spirit animal.

I did NOT know how much I needed a sharp-tongued, anti-authority superhero from Camden-town London in my life...until now. Also, that it took them 3 years to properly animate him shows a level of dedication that none of the other Animation studios are willing to even TRY.




i almost spent a stupid amount of money on this last week....
spoiler for size
Spoiler



"What's that son? Oh, you want a spider-Punk figure?! I might have to get you two just in case!"

fuck me, where do I buy this glorious thing?

eDIT: $35 on amazon. That's not bad actually.


Just saw it.

...

...

...

Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#12638 User is offline   Slow Ben 

  • Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,690
  • Joined: 29-September 08
  • Location:Southern Illinois

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:45 PM

Pretty much

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 12 June 2023 - 04:45 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.
0

#12639 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,844
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 08:01 PM

i know, right?!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#12640 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 21,339
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Nowhere Specific
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 June 2023 - 12:50 PM

Added to my Jackie Chan Special Edition Blu-Ray collection yesterday with the latest Special Edition of GORGEOUS from 88Films...a really nice disc and the transfer is (for lack of a better word) gorgeous. For a film from 1999 it looks like it was shot yesterday.

What's funny about this one is that it's one of the only ones I can think of where it's attempting to be a RomCom as much as it's being the typical Jackie brand of Action Comedy. Director (and actor and producer) Vincent Kok's milieu of film is very much this, and I know that this film started as a straight romance but lead actress Shu Qi would only do it if Chan wrote himself a role in the film and brought in action elements. And I like that the film has no "enemy" that Jackie must defeat....the big fight is a sparring match between Jackie and his IRL protege Brad Allen (RIP; COVID) that's agreed upon before and they use boxing gloves...and the only other guy who antagonizes Chan is a childhood friend who is upset that Chan's character sold shares in his company...so you can tell that this was a straight up romance before the action was added. But it's fun nonetheless, and Shu Qi delivers a cutesy (if at times gratingly annoying) performance....but the real stars other than Chan are the cameos and supporting roles, like Tony Leung as the gay best friend, Richie Chen as the lovesick local fisherman who can't seem to let go of Qi's character Bu, and a veritable who's who of HK cinema in the 90's with cameos from Stephen Chow, Stephen Fung (Qi's real life husband these days), Sam Lee, Maggies Cheung, Daniel Wu (Fung, Lee, Cheung, and Wu all starred in Chan's other 1999 produced movie GEN-X COPS), and Emil Chau as the grandstanding childhood friend who keeps throwing trouble Chan's way for daring to drop his stock.

Is it as good as Chan's POLICE STORY movies, or his more action-comedy fare of the age? Certainly not. Hell, it's not even as good as his earlier Shaw-Brothers-like work or his Drunken Master work...but it's super unique and really funny, and a lot of fun to watch throughout.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon
0

Share this topic:


  • 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • 630
  • 631
  • 632
  • 633
  • 634
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users