• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12481 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 March 2023 - 09:38 PM

John wick 4 is out this month. Number 3 to me wasn’t the best but I am still looking forward to this movie more than anything else that has come out recently.

#12482 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 March 2023 - 04:20 AM

I watched EO, the Polish movie about a donkey, and am officially donked. Good stuff!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12483 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:22 AM

Seen The Whale today. Disgusted, terrified, moved, crying like a baby. Loved it. Mr Fraser really drives it home. Also, it's just small theatre, so it's right up my alley.

Mind you, do you have any movies to recommend similar to The Sunset Limited, Sleuth, or The Man From Earth?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#12484 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 March 2023 - 03:35 AM

My Dinner With Andre maybe? I haven’t seen those movies so it might be lower stakes than you want.

#12485 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 March 2023 - 05:10 PM

ACK. This looks like the TMNT version of INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE! Super excited for this one. Will 100% take my son, he's way into the Ninja Turtles.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12486 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:44 AM

Fire of Love -- documentary about the Kraffts, a couple of married volcanologists. Pretty much entirely archival footage of them or created by them, including most dialogue. Just a through line of narration otherwise, so not a talking head-style documentary at all. It's 90 minutes, the footage is mesmerizing, the couple are extremely compelling, and overall I really loved it. I think it's worth watching even if you don't think you'll love their personal story, because the footage they (and some colleagues) captured over the years is incredible anyway.

#12487 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

View Postworry, on 08 March 2023 - 04:44 AM, said:

Fire of Love -- documentary about the Kraffts, a couple of married volcanologists. Pretty much entirely archival footage of them or created by them, including most dialogue. Just a through line of narration otherwise, so not a talking head-style documentary at all. It's 90 minutes, the footage is mesmerizing, the couple are extremely compelling, and overall I really loved it. I think it's worth watching even if you don't think you'll love their personal story, because the footage they (and some colleagues) captured over the years is incredible anyway.

Agreed, it was bleak because I knew the outcome, but it was still really nice to watch them interact and their shared love of what they were doing. Great Doc.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12488 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2023 - 10:58 AM

Could this be the best thing ever?

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12489 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:02 PM

I watched History of the World Part I cuz the sequel show looks ok. Not great! Definitely the worst Mel Brooks movie I’ve personally seen.

#12490 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:18 PM

I saw Elvis a few nights back. It was on TV and having never been interested in watching it, I decided to watch 20mins or so to see if it was worth watching later. I never found a place I wanted to stop so ended up staying up ridiculously late. It's good. I didn't know a lot about Elvis, beyond the songs and the toilet.

I wonder if it could have been better without pandering to Priscilla and Lisa Marie. But given I don't know a lot about Elvis, what do I know.

I enjoyed it. Austin Butler clearly put everything he had into it. What's with Baz Luhrmann's face?

In other news. I read Empire Magazines review of Dungeons and Dragons and it sounds pretty good!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12491 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:23 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 March 2023 - 10:18 PM, said:

I saw Elvis a few nights back. It was on TV and having never been interested in watching it, I decided to watch 20mins or so to see if it was worth watching later. I never found a place I wanted to stop so ended up staying up ridiculously late. It's good. I didn't know a lot about Elvis, beyond the songs and the toilet.

I wonder if it could have been better without pandering to Priscilla and Lisa Marie. But given I don't know a lot about Elvis, what do I know.

I enjoyed it. Austin Butler clearly put everything he had into it. What's with Baz Luhrmann's face?

My mom was an Elvis fan all her life. Like die hard fan. I was born the year he died, and I often wonder if I was born after he passed rather than before it, if his name might have wiggled it's way into mine instead of what I got named.

She could not make it out to the movies when it was in theatres (she was already too sick; and nevermind a 3hr movie), so I bought it for her when it came out on DVD and had it sent to her. As far as I'm aware, she watched it and enjoyed it....but I can't bring myself to watch it knowing it was one of the last things she saw...and I doubt I ever will.

I've heard generally good reviews, just that it's overlong.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 March 2023 - 12:23 PM

#12492 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:16 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 March 2023 - 10:58 AM, said:

Could this be the best thing ever?

Yes, yes it could.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12493 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2023 - 05:09 PM

I hated Bert Kreicher for years because of that unbelievable Machine story kept getting repeated.

Then years later I watched him on 2 bears 1 cave and realized that's actually his life. He's a ridiculous human being with no impulse control and an incredible tolerance for alcohol abuse.

#12494 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2023 - 05:24 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 March 2023 - 05:09 PM, said:

I hated Bert Kreicher for years because of that unbelievable Machine story kept getting repeated.

Then years later I watched him on 2 bears 1 cave and realized that's actually his life. He's a ridiculous human being with no impulse control and an incredible tolerance for alcohol abuse.

Isn't he also technically what National Lampoons VAN WILDER is based on?

#12495 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:43 PM

Lance Reddick died. :(

https://www.news.com...2cfbbb13f123356

The Wire, John Wick star Lance Reddick dead at 60
The body of actor Lance Reddick was discovered in his California home while he was in the middle of press tour promoting the latest John Wick film.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12496 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:17 PM

Heartbreaking. RIP to truly one of the most singular, magnetic performers in film or TV.

#12497 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:42 AM

This... is B U L L S H T. :(

This post has been edited by Gothos: 18 March 2023 - 12:42 AM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#12498 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:36 AM

Just watched an earth show of the DnD movie. I enjoyed it. Very simple movie but a good popcorn flick. I enjoyed myself.

With the lights back on you realize it’s in many ways a poor movie but when your watching it and along for the ride you will have a good time.

#12499 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:25 AM

View PostCause, on 30 March 2023 - 02:36 AM, said:

Just watched an earth show of the DnD movie. I enjoyed it. Very simple movie but a good popcorn flick. I enjoyed myself.

With the lights back on you realize it's in many ways a poor movie but when your watching it and along for the ride you will have a good time.

That chimes with a lot of what I'm reading about it, that's it silly fun. Which really is all I want from it - and for it to be better than the 2001 attempt. Which is a stunningly low bar.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12500 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:37 AM

We can now officially call that one the "second best" DnD movie!

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users