• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11841 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:40 PM

Continued on my Fast and the Furious journey and watched 2 Fast 2 Furious. I'm turning the car around and going home because that movie is terrible. A dumb plot, and the dumb and inane is magnified with terrible dialog and terrible acting (ugh, Tyrese is the co-star, he very well could be the worst thing about the Fast/Furious franchise). Was this movie always meant to only have Paul Walker from the original? Where's Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) and the family? On the run? I know the first ended with credit scene of Dom cruising around Mexico after Paul Walker let him run, but couldn't they have brought the crew back instead of running with this garbage? Anyway, I'm stopping there with this F&F journey. So I need to know from you guys, which movies are worth watching? I can't continue with picking every one off and suffering through garbage.

#11842 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 October 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

Continued on my Fast and the Furious journey and watched 2 Fast 2 Furious. I'm turning the car around and going home because that movie is terrible. A dumb plot, and the dumb and inane is magnified with terrible dialog and terrible acting (ugh, Tyrese is the co-star, he very well could be the worst thing about the Fast/Furious franchise). Was this movie always meant to only have Paul Walker from the original? Where's Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) and the family? On the run? I know the first ended with credit scene of Dom cruising around Mexico after Paul Walker let him run, but couldn't they have brought the crew back instead of running with this garbage? Anyway, I'm stopping there with this F&F journey. So I need to know from you guys, which movies are worth watching? I can't continue with picking every one off and suffering through garbage.

Yeah 2 is one of the worst of the series IMO.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11843 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:52 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 October 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

You saw the worst one. See the rest.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11844 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

I didn't mind 2.
Switch brain off for all of them

#11845 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:15 PM

Watched The Meg and Underwater. They were okay for what they offer. Non-existent to thin plot and a lot of dopey special effects and action. So I enjoyed them on that level. Not sure why Jason Statham has had the staying power he has. And Underwater features Batman's gf from the sparkly vampire series. I haven't looked it up but I think Underwater may be connected, in a very oblique way, to Lovecraft and Cthulhu. The overall vibe to Underwater is Alien 7 miles down in the ocean. There's some nice tension and claustrophobia elements. A trigger warning though- Underwater has that TJ Miller guy. I think he's been problematic in the #MeToo sense, so be warned. I always found his on screen personality, regardless of what has come out about him, to be unlikable. The Meg is basically a prehistoric Jaws, but more actiony movie then scary/thriller.

For me, these guys did deepest, darkest, scary ocean the bestest.

#11846 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:32 PM

Jodorowsky and Moebius' The Incal! Major film adaptation! Epic director reveal in the instagram video belown! (if you can't watch,
Spoiler
to direct!)

https://www.instagra.../tv/CV2v6T2qys0

#11847 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:14 PM

I have trouble supporting Jodorowsky after learning about this completely vile shit (3rd paragraph). And I'm a little sad Taika has gotten mixed up with him.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11848 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 November 2021 - 07:14 PM, said:

I have trouble supporting Jodorowsky after learning about this completely vile shit (3rd paragraph). And I'm a little sad Taika has gotten mixed up with him.

Charming fellow. :no
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11849 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:43 PM

The French Dispatch is an absolute masterpiece. One of the best films I have seen in a very long time. Absolutely epic, and I cannot even explain why. It just has to be seen. Amazing.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11850 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:18 PM

Just watched Midsommar. Not a big fan of horror movies (though this isn't perhaps horror in the traditional sense?) but this kept me hooked and somewhat disorientated all the way through! What a disturbing ride! Florence Pugh is an excellent actress too. Probably going to keep me up tonight hah.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11851 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:43 PM

It's the 5th November so of course I watched V for Vendetta again.

Still awesome. Still scarily plausible. The crazy fascists stripping rights away and extreme right wing British Nationalism becoming the more powerful to the acceptance of the majority is the plausible bit, not the insane dude with the freaky fighting powers...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11852 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:53 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 November 2021 - 07:14 PM, said:

Well, that's fucked.

EDIT: Maybe he didn't rape her? https://www.artforum...ospective-78538 who knows. Still, the idea of using rape as a verbal prop for a publicity stunt is fucked.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 06 November 2021 - 03:35 AM

#11853 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

RED NOTICE is WAY better than I expected it to be.

I should note that the critics hate it, so I was bound to at least like it on some level.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 November 2021 - 02:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11854 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:08 PM

It doesn't feel right that we're giving a double stamp to, of all things, Red Notice. I quite enjoyed it.

Anyway other than that Shang-Chi didn't hit the spot for me so being in the mood for more Chinese fantasy adventure I watched The Yinyang Master on Netflix (not to be confused with The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity, also on Netflix, a different adapation of a different version of the same franchise that was made at the same time). Anyway, very pleasantly surprised. It's just a charming, likeable fantasy movie which the creators clearly took a lot of care with despite it being a fluffy franchise thing- the design of monsters, villains, and locations, and the effects, practical and CG, to bring them to life, is on point. Almost Del-Toro esque. I recommend it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11855 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:35 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 November 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

It doesn't feel right that we're giving a double stamp to, of all things, Red Notice. I quite enjoyed it.

The coveted double stamp! Huzzah!

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 November 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

Anyway other than that Shang-Chi didn't hit the spot for me so being in the mood for more Chinese fantasy adventure I watched The Yinyang Master on Netflix (not to be confused with The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity, also on Netflix, a different adapation of a different version of the same franchise that was made at the same time). Anyway, very pleasantly surprised. It's just a charming, likeable fantasy movie which the creators clearly took a lot of care with despite it being a fluffy franchise thing- the design of monsters, villains, and locations, and the effects, practical and CG, to bring them to life, is on point. Almost Del-Toro esque. I recommend it.

I also really quite enjoyed SHANG-CHI! All the leads realty did a greta job of selling their characters, and like the best of the MCU movies, this one could stand alone if it were NOT a Marvel movie. It's just a really enjoyable couple of hours at the movies. Simu and Awkwafina have really wonderful chemistry, and Tony Leung gave a great performance as Wenwu and you really do see how he came to the conclusions he did (wrong as they may be).

So it's a Double Double Stamp today!

#11856 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 November 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

I also really quite enjoyed SHANG-CHI! All the leads realty did a greta job of selling their characters, and like the best of the MCU movies, this one could stand alone if it were NOT a Marvel movie. It's just a really enjoyable couple of hours at the movies. Simu and Awkwafina have really wonderful chemistry, and Tony Leung gave a great performance as Wenwu and you really do see how he came to the conclusions he did (wrong as they may be).

Sadly you misread in your joy- I didn't really dislike Shang-Chi (and you're certainly right about Tony Leung and Wenwu), but I didn't like it that much either, that's why I watched the other one to attempt (successfully) to get something like I'd anticipated from it.

I'd recommend you give Yinyang Master a go though- I suspect at least some of it would be quite up your street.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 15 November 2021 - 04:40 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11857 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:11 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 November 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 November 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

Sadly you misread in your joy- I didn't really dislike Shang-Chi (and you're certainly right about Tony Leung and Wenwu), but I didn't like it that much either, that's why I watched the other one to attempt (successfully) to get something like I'd anticipated from it.

I'd recommend you give Yinyang Master a go though- I suspect at least some of it would be quite up your street.

Damn, I didn't catch "didn't" in the "hit the spot" sentence. I have no excuse other than rushing while reading.

I'll give your suggestion a go for sure.

#11858 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:21 PM

For what It's worth, I still consider it a "Double Double Stamp."

#11859 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 November 2021 - 02:12 AM

You can’t triple stamp a double stamp!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11860 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

I watched Red Notice on the basis of this thread. I liked it but some moments were Indiana Jones ultimate rip off.

So then I was into Netflix movies and on a day off and needed something under 2 hours and What Men Want came up on my recommendations because I have a girls Netflix recommendation algorithm. Well I liked it, okay. It's not great, very predictable but there were some belly laugh moments.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users