Ye Big Movie thread

#11641 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:07 AM

View Postamphibian, on 26 May 2021 - 04:47 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 26 May 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Whoa did y'all know that we are getting a Matrix 4? From the W bros little sister Lana. Dec this year on big screen and MAX.

The Wachowskis both transitioned to be women in the late 00s and early 10s.

They have so much ambition, which means Sense8 and Jupiter Rising and Cloud Atlas were kinda messes at times, yet had some real gold there. I want Lana to dial it down a bit and give us something we can connect to rather than move onto the next visual spectacle.

I adored Sense8, thought CLOUD ATLAS was ok and JUPITER RISING a series of neat action pieces loosely joined by something that may have been a story.
I have great love for THE MATRIX. MATRIX 2, much less. MATRIX 3, almost none. I have SO MUCH skepticism over this fourth movie. The potential for greatness is there, but... meh. SO MUCH meh.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11642 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:24 AM

Eddie Redmayne was perfect in Jupiter Rising
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11643 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

Agreed! He did for Jupiter Rising what Joaquin Phoenix did for Gladiator.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11644 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:03 AM

View PostAbyss, on 26 May 2021 - 05:07 AM, said:

I have great love for THE MATRIX. MATRIX 2, much less. MATRIX 3, almost none. I have SO MUCH skepticism over this fourth movie. The potential for greatness is there, but... meh. SO MUCH meh.

I'm almost exactly on this same page. The Matrix is in my top 5 favorites of all time but the following 2 are each a step down from the previous one, though I like some things about them. Last I had heard, this 4th movie is supposed to be a prequel and sequel somehow at the same time? I could be wrong about that...

#11645 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

Whoa did y’all know that we are getting a Matrix 4? From the W bros little sister Lana. Dec this year on big screen and MAX.

They have so much ambition, which means Sense8 ..... kinda messes at times, yet had some real gold there. I want Lana to dial it down a bit and give us something we can connect to rather than move onto the next visual spectacle.

I adored Sense8, thought CLOUD ATLAS was ok a

SENSE8 is inarguably the best thing the Wachowski's have done for me. It's my favourite piece of art by them because it contains the most emotional heart, some of which I'm sure pertains and parallels their own lives. Like I think that the Nomi Marks character is a stand-in for Lana, and the exploration of those themes is wrought with emotion because it was personal. The monologue she has in the Museum with Hernando (or was it Lito?) about her past felt very accurate for a trans experience.

View Postparan falcon, on 26 May 2021 - 11:03 AM, said:

Last I had heard, this 4th movie is supposed to be a prequel and sequel somehow at the same time? I could be wrong about that...

I feel like we will get portions of THE SECOND RENAISSANCE (the machines being mistreated by humanity until they rebel) as the prequel bits, and then the sequel part will be about how to rectify that schism to find a way for the Machines and Man to live in harmony.

I feel like stuff that dips into the human experience like CLOUD ATLAS and SENSE8 that MATRIX 4 will be less about action, and more about reconciliation and pertinent parallels to humanity now and our constant strife.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 May 2021 - 01:21 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11646 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:05 AM

Oh dear jeebus, I watched Cats.

It was, eh, pretty terrible. There were some sweet moments, but the movie is just odd. Like a terrible talent show skinned in bizarre cat costumes and CGI. The cat switching tails and cat ears moving to and fro effects were kinda neat though. Needs 100% more cat buttholes (and I will watch that version if it is ever released, don't judge me). Seeing Judi Dench in the cat creature effects was sorta disturbing.

Cats, one flicked cat turd out of the kitty litter box out of five.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 27 May 2021 - 04:07 AM

#11647 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:26 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 May 2021 - 01:17 PM, said:

Whoa did y’all know that we are getting a Matrix 4? From the W bros little sister Lana. Dec this year on big screen and MAX.

They have so much ambition, which means Sense8 ..... kinda messes at times, yet had some real gold there. I want Lana to dial it down a bit and give us something we can connect to rather than move onto the next visual spectacle.

I adored Sense8, thought CLOUD ATLAS was ok a

SENSE8 is inarguably the best thing the Wachowski's have done for me. It's my favourite piece of art by them because it contains the most emotional heart, some of which I'm sure pertains and parallels their own lives. Like I think that the Nomi Marks character is a stand-in for Lana, and the exploration of those themes is wrought with emotion because it was personal. The monologue she has in the Museum with Hernando (or was it Lito?) about her past felt very accurate for a trans experience.

View Postparan falcon, on 26 May 2021 - 11:03 AM, said:

Last I had heard, this 4th movie is supposed to be a prequel and sequel somehow at the same time? I could be wrong about that...

I feel like we will get portions of THE SECOND RENAISSANCE (the machines being mistreated by humanity until they rebel) as the prequel bits, and then the sequel part will be about how to rectify that schism to find a way for the Machines and Man to live in harmony.

I feel like stuff that dips into the human experience like CLOUD ATLAS and SENSE8 that MATRIX 4 will be less about action, and more about reconciliation and pertinent parallels to humanity now and our constant strife.

The sequel/prequel thing... i am skeptical again but the few interesting bits from 3 suggest they could do anything with this including parallel stories in different time periods.

I know there is buzz about them digging into the ANIMATRIX stuff, but given how relatively little exposure that got vs the actual movies, i'd be surprised.

...that said if they give us any version of RUN SAGA RUN i will lose my mind.

#11648 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:03 AM

You folks forgot one thing about the Wachowskis: Speed Racer rules.

#11649 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:06 AM

View Postworry, on 28 May 2021 - 03:03 AM, said:

You folks forgot one thing about the Wachowskis: drugs

ftfy

#11650 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:10 AM

I went to the cinema! There were quite a few good films to choose from but they looked quite deep and I'm so psychologically burned out the only one I wanted to see was of course Godzilla vs Kong. It's the movie we need right now. It's utterly barmy and I loved it.

The thing I always wonder at the end of these Godzilla movies - when it's all done and he walks back to the sea - how many people he accidentally kills on that walk back?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11651 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

The one I wonder is "Who built the throne axe power dynamo?". And "How long ago?"
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11652 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

I know the truth about The Truth About Cats & Dogs.

#11653 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:06 PM

The Personal History of David Copperfield -- This is the recent Iannucci movie. I haven't read this novel so I don't know all the changes, but @ 2 hours it does feel kind of short/slightly rushed for a Dickens adaptation. That aside, I thought it was a whimsical delight. The cast knocks it out of the park, top to bottom.

#11654 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:10 AM

Just watched JoJo Rabbit.

And

Wow.

Just a wonderful film, black black comedy in places but still full of heart. The cast is superb throughout, Sam Rockwell owns it

#11655 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:50 AM

Game Night.

Went into this not knowing what it was about or what to expect, other then it being a comedy starring Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams. And holy cow I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was very funny and well done. There were aspects that I saw coming, but that was half the fun when even those made a left turn to be more then you were expecting. Jesse Plemons as creepy officer Gary was a hoot. Stay for the credits to see his evidence cork board, it's priceless. Overall the movie is pretty hilarious and the humor and gags work perfect with the premise of the plot.

#11656 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:23 PM

Okay need a recommendation. Looking for some flicks to enjoy this weekend. So of the following series ...

- Twilight
- Hunger Games
- The Divergent series

... which one should I watch? I know zero to little about any of these. I think one has vampires, but they aren't traditional vampires?

It's okay if you warn me away from any of these and reccomend something else. I'm just curious to know what these series are like. I was vaguely aware of them when they had their theatrical run, but that is about it.

#11657 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

You should definitely watch all the Twilight films.

#11658 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:18 AM

Yes, definitely the Twilight films. They are amazing. Very thought-provoking and a really imteresting twist on the vampire trope. Make sure you watch them all though for the full impact of the series' genius.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11659 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

And then read the books.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#11660 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:26 PM

Watched the last half of The Doctor Dolittle movie with Downey Jr. Not nearly as bad as I'd heard. I do wonder how cheap that film was to make because I think everything but the actors were CGI.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users