• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6801 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

"Lugnut dumb"

*sits back and savors that for a moment*

Bravo.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6802 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Saw a really good movie called ENEMY the other day. I guess its a social commentary on totalitarianism disguised as quirky film noir suspense. Kind of Lynchian. I liked it alot. And it was short too.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6803 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:45 AM

Guys check out a movie called "Coherence." If you like science fiction, especially movies like Primer or Timecrimes you will probably enjoy this. Its obviously not as good as those two but definitely worth a watch.
No Touchy.

#6804 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Pretty awesome, maybe as good as the first one, maybe not quite. Its one problem is that exactly zero of the major twists were surprising, though a couple of the minor ones were solid.

Spoiler

I also thought the Falcon was surprisingly impressive. Not exceedingly well-written (less depth than even War Machine got), but seeing him in action is thrilling.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6805 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:39 PM

Yeah WINTER SOLDIER was a rollicking good time. Not too suer I give a fuck about Bucky tho.

Saw three really good movies over the weekend.

1. OCCULUS - was a great little horror movie. They'll ruin it with sequels but the pacing, the story, the climax, ending were all great, pretty decent acting from some unknowns and great tension. I recommend.

2. EDGE OF TOMORROW - Up until Tom cruise loses his ability to reset the day this movie was straight up badd fucking ass. No complaints re: Tom Cruise at all, and in ifact I likle the roles he takes that make him come off kind of douchey and he has to redeem himself. This was awesomely executed, but then the end came and while it didn't ruin the movie, and it wasn't bad in any way, I still thought it could have been done a bit better. by then though it didn't matter and I was hooked and reeled in. Great, great movie.

3. WILLOW CREEK - By far the cheapest of the three to make, this is a Bobcat Golthwaite directed found-footage horror movie of an amateur filmaker's trek with his girlfriend to find Bigfoot. Its very similar to The Blair Witch, but better and with an obvious wink to the audience. It was surprisingly tense, if not very surprising, but since it clocks in at just over an hour long, its not much of a time investment, so watch it, take it for what its worth and enjoy the subtlety. It's worth it.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6806 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 18 September 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

1. OCCULUS - was a great little horror movie. They'll ruin it with sequels but the pacing, the story, the climax, ending were all great, pretty decent acting from some unknowns and great tension. I recommend.

What kind of horror is this? Psychological, monster, zombie, ghost, demon?

2. EDGE OF TOMORROW - Up until Tom cruise loses his ability to reset the day this movie was straight up badd fucking ass. No complaints re: Tom Cruise at all, and in ifact I likle the roles he takes that make him come off kind of douchey and he has to redeem himself. This was awesomely executed, but then the end came and while it didn't ruin the movie, and it wasn't bad in any way, I still thought it could have been done a bit better. by then though it didn't matter and I was hooked and reeled in. Great, great movie.

Does he have an excuse to sprint a lot on screen in this film?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6807 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostGothos, on 19 September 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 18 September 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

What kind of horror is this? Psychological, monster, zombie, ghost, demon?

Ghost, but done in an original way, with some obvious J-horror homages. Its pretty good considering the sorry state of the genre.

View PostGothos, on 19 September 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Does he have an excuse to sprint a lot on screen in this film?

Yes. Many.

#6808 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

Also he gets killed about a million times.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6809 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 19 September 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Also he gets killed about a million times.

^ Also notable.

#6810 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 19 September 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Ghost, but done in an original way, with some obvious J-horror homages. Its pretty good considering the sorry state of the genre.

good, my preferred type. will watch.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6811 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Just watching Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind.

Love this film; every time I see it it I see it's influence (or coincidental similarity) with something I've read recently.

The 'seven days of fire' when humanity changed the world appears in both the Broken Empire and Abercrombies latest.

The charge of the Ohm at the end reminded me of the Vord - if not in appearance then maybe just the horizon-spanning multitude. This was made in the 80's and apart from the music, it's not dated badly at all.

Nice to see a decent strong female lead too, although Ghibli is pretty good at that on general.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 19 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6812 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostTraveller, on 19 September 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Love this film; every time I see it it I see it's influence (or coincidental similarity) with something I've read recently.

It's gotta be said, when you think of 'most influential films', or indeed 'pieces of fiction', ever made, Nausicaa isn't the first that would spring to mind; but it is up there.

Dunno if the similarity with the things you mention is deliberate (well, the Vord almost certainly isn't, that's the Tyranids/Zerg), but apart from anything else it directly inspired Final Fantasy.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 19 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6813 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many other books or movies and games for that matter I've seen that have used ideas from it, but never done it quite so well.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6814 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

NAUSICAA is literally amazing start to finish. PRINCESS MONONOKE holds my heart for fave all time Sutdio Ghibli flick, but NAUSICAA was the first one I ever saw and holds a truly special place in my heart.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6815 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hmm, I've been meaning to get around to watching Nausicaa for ages, I'll move it up the list.

I think Laputa is my favourite of the ones I've seen, with Mononoke a close second.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#6816 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:02 AM

Dammit, you lot are going to have me on a Ghibli binge soon if you keep this up. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6817 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostTraveller, on 19 September 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

The 'seven days of fire' when humanity changed the world appears in both the Broken Empire and Abercrombies latest.

The charge of the Ohm at the end reminded me of the Vord - if not in appearance then maybe just the horizon-spanning multitude. This was made in the 80's and apart from the music, it's not dated badly at all.

Oh forgot to mention the whole Valley of the Wind/Caldearan valley defence aspect. Similar anyway.

I've recently picked up a few of the Ghibli films I've not yet seen. My daughter has been watching the more kiddie friendly ones, while I've got Grave of the Fireflies to see, which sounds pretty harrowing from what I've read.

I only recently got a blu ray copy of Porco Rosso - it just looks amazing, I love the way they manage to bring such a physical presence to things like water through 2d animation. The mud in the river spirit scene in Spirited Away is memorable too.

#6818 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostTraveller, on 20 September 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

I've recently picked up a few of the Ghibli films I've not yet seen. My daughter has been watching the more kiddie friendly ones, while I've got Grave of the Fireflies to see, which sounds pretty harrowing from what I've read.

I only recently got a blu ray copy of Porco Rosso - it just looks amazing, I love the way they manage to bring such a physical presence to things like water through 2d animation. The mud in the river spirit scene in Spirited Away is memorable too.

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES is absolutely brilliant and it will reduce you to an emotional wreck.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6819 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 20 September 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES is absolutely brilliant and it will reduce you to an emotional wreck.

This. So, so much THIS.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6820 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

That's pretty much what most people I've spoken to about this have said. I'll check it out this weekend - if I'm feeling emotionally stable enough to handle it!

Has anyone seen any of the similar but non-Ghibli films like The Wolf Children, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, or Summer Wars? I was thinking of checking these out after some good write-ups.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users