• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6841 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Watched Thor again last night with the gf. She pointed it out, and now I can't help but agree fully: Natalie Portman's character is ridiculously stupidly written in that film. It's outrageously bad. It's unbelievably dumb. How could I not see it before?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6842 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Not disagreeing with you G, but specifically what made you & your gf realise that?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6843 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 September 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Not disagreeing with you G, but specifically what made you & your gf realise that?

Every time that this supposed genius scientist gets completely overtaken by the power of abs and swoons all over Hemsworth like a belieber. She's only there to stare and fall in love with the hero. That's such lazy writing I have trouble comprehending.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6844 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostGothos, on 26 September 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 September 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Every time that this supposed genius scientist gets completely overtaken by the power of abs and swoons all over Hemsworth like a belieber. She's only there to stare and fall in love with the hero. That's such lazy writing I have trouble comprehending.

She can't be a genius scientist AND be swept off her feet by a god? I'm also not disagreeing with you, as in the first film she is nothing more than love interest, but the "she's supposed to be a scientist" angle seemed like a random note to hang it on is all.

She's better in the second movie though.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6845 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 25 September 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Bill and Ted 3 update. Wyld Stallyns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.co...8391178022.html

Okay, I had a dream last night that they already had a badass website for this film AND a trailer that everyone loved!

I woke this morning disappointed that it wasn't yet the case.

Make no mistake, I would be out to see this opening night with bells on...or a Wyld Stalynn's t-shirt.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6846 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

This reminds me of the old MTV show "Idiot Box" with Alex Winters, so I will do the YouTube thing and see if it is still funny
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#6847 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

It's pretty decent, if naturally focused mostly on pop culture. It definitely fits in with the weird MTV era leading into Liquid Television, The Head/The Maxx, etc., but for a sketch show it has more in common w/ Robot Chicken than say Kids In the Hall.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6848 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

It definitely caused me to reminisce; some of that stuff seemed hilarious in the 90's when it came out. I remember watching it with my friends. I made it through about 4 episodes before I got tired of it.

But God's Mighty Anvil? That was a good one
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#6849 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

I actually just recently watched the first Bill and Ted and it was great. Same with Princess Bride. Dunno why I never watched em till now.
No Touchy.

#6850 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

I watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and to my great surprise, I mostly enjoyed it. Like Thor it had to deal with an abominable first entry (IMO of course), and this was a bigger leap forward than the dumb-but-fairly-fun Thor 2. Even Garfield is growing on me, as he seemed to truly embody the sarcastic but affable Peter Parker instead of the dull sour brat of the first one. Emma Stone was as good as ever, and I decided to keep in mind what Gothos said about Portman in Thor (he's right), and the contrast in the writing is so evident.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6851 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:51 AM

View Postworry, on 27 September 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

what Gothos said about Portman in Thor (he's right)

It looks like it's time to take ice skates to Hell :)

#6852 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Watched Cap 2 again. Damn I love that movie.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6853 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Saw THE EQUALIZER. Decent, not great.

Also saw NO GOOD DEED. Total waste of Idris Elba, the cliches fall upon you like the rain in the movie, and you have to accept the sheer stupidity of Taraji P Henson's law-school-educated character. Not recommended.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6854 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Watched ET with the kids for the first time. They loved it. never realized before that Mike is singing an Elvis Costello song (Accidents Will Happen) in one scene. Also, as a kid I never realized that 1. The only adult face shown in the first two acts of the film is Dee Wallace's; 2. The scientists were not so bad of people and actually were kind of compassionate. As a kid they freaked me the fuck out. 3. This movie is made exceptionally well. The story, the symbolism, the characters. All done really well. Not surprising that on my firat adult watching of the film that I realized its quite a well made movie, but still very comforting.

Also watched X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. I don't think it was the greatest movie ever or anything, but I had a great time watching it, although Young Magneto seemed too cookie-cutter of a baddie, but I think that may have been done on purpose to acknowledge Early Magneto as hell-bent on his agenda of wiping out non-mutants.

My biggest criticism is that Quicksilver was not in the film anywhere near enough. He had the singularly coolest scene from any summer blockbuster with that breakout of Magneto and then he's done. They don't need him anymore. Or at least they don't use him, because I can think of a few times where having a guy who can run invisibly-fucking-fast to the point of time being a non-factor that allows him to change the course of multiple bullets mid-course would come in quite handy. Big fucking plot hole, right there.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#6855 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 29 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Also saw NO GOOD DEED. Total waste of Idris Elba, the cliches fall upon you like the rain in the movie, and you have to accept the sheer stupidity of Taraji P Henson's law-school-educated character. Not recommended.

Please do not consider law school to be anything close to a functional education outside of the law - which is surprisingly unconcerned with the real world.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6856 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

View Postamphibian, on 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostMcLovin, on 29 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Please do not consider law school to be anything close to a functional education outside of the law - which is surprisingly unconcerned with the real world.

Or, to be more exact; an incompetent lawyer would think that law is unconcerned with the real world.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6857 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

In the law's view, the power of context is warped, removed from the grasp of the average citizen and truncated, yet expanded into esoteric regions.

The real world and the law intersect at many points, but the legal system as a whole is surprisingly independent of the real world and that's both boon and curse.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6858 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Do you two need to get a room to resolve your differences Re: law? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6859 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 September 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

In the law's view, the power of context is warped, removed from the grasp of the average citizen and truncated, yet expanded into esoteric regions.

The real world and the law intersect at many points, but the legal system as a whole is surprisingly independent of the real world and that's both boon and curse.

Even if you write it with slightly different words, it’s still wrong. The legal system is in no way independent of the real world, and you cannot use legal analysis without the actual result of the interpretation on the real world being part of that analysis.

The legal system is not surprisingly independent of the real world, as you say. Rather, people with little knowledge of law will be surprised by how tied it is to the real world.

I mean, we encounter your view sometimes even amongst the opposing counsel. They never get very far because their understanding of legal analysis is clearly faulty. So, again, poor lawyers might see things the way you do. However the courts do not, and the courts are the final arbiters of what law is.
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6860 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostSilencer, on 30 September 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Do you two need to get a room to resolve your differences Re: law? XD

Nah, I'm fine right here.