• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6761 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 August 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Sooooooo, you're a nitpicker PG?

Me? Nooooooooooooooooooo. I never analyse anything.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6762 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Jagten, aka The Hunt. I came in expecting some sort of crime story, haven't having read up anything about it. But holy shit this movie is serious business. If you're in for a serious movie concerning itself with torch-and-pitchfork mentality and what presumption of guilt can do to a person's life, you won't be disappointed.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6763 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

I saw that movie and kind of had a problem with it - false accusations of that type are extremely rare. So despite being a well performed movie with great actors, it comes off as more of a men's rights activist movie than an honest think piece about the issue of sexual assault.

And that's a bad thing.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6764 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

See, I didn't mention the sexual assault in my post because I see it as a secondary theme to how people can just make up their mind about your guilt with no evidence, and stick to it even after you're found innocent. There's a reason for due process. Even in a case like sexual abuse.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#6765 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I finally caught Captain America 2. I'd heard good things but thought it was pretty meh. Shame.

Edit - That reminds me, I saw Shame as well. One of those movies you only need to watch once *resisting the urge to make comment about Michael Fassbender's penis*.

Edit 2 - That reminds me that I also saw 12 Years A Slave. Won't be watching that one again either.

Both worth a watch though, I recommend them.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 27 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#6766 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 27 August 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Edit 2 - That reminds me that I also saw 12 Years A Slave. Won't be watching that one again either.

That film is the ONLY film in my entire life to summon tears out of my eyes and I didn't know they were coming. No lump in my throat, and no warning. Just tears. During the scene where Lupita's character is being mercilessly whipped I just started with the tears down my face. I think that scene just reaches deep down into a person and pulls up the core of our emotional humanity. Steve McQueen's direction and Lupita's acting are so above stellar that I can't properly express it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6767 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 August 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 27 August 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yeah. I'm still trying to work out how Titanic won the Oscar for Best SFX in the same year that Starship Troopers was out. Mind you, I'm still trying to work out how Titanic won Best Film in the year LA Confidential was out, too :rolleyes:

Technically it's harder to make something real (spoilers! a big ship hitting an iceberg and sinking) look real than it is to make something unreal (spaceships, giant bugs, especially giant vagina brain bugs being massaged by Dougie Houser) look even semi-real.

Yep, ask any special effects person worth their salt in the industry...the effects in TITANIC are about a hundred times more complex to pull off believably than anything in STARSHIP TROOPERS. STARSHIP TROOPERS effects are pretty much free drawing...unbelievable stuff doesn't have to be believable, it just has to look like it's a real thing in the frame (aka insect skin should look like insect skin)...while crafting a nearly hour long sequence sinking a ship and all the chaos that followed (including realistic breath) has to have realism on its side in a way that a space blockbuster just doesn't. Cameron's Special Effects house (Digital Domain) was so meticulous in their details that they only missed one thing (pointed out by Neil DeGrasse Tyson about two years ago, and fixed in the recent 3D re-release)...the stars in the night sky during the sinking of the ship are the wrong stars (TITANIC was shot mostly on an outdoor sound stage off the coast of Mexico), they were Pacific southern hemisphere stars, while the real Titanic would have been roofed by Northern Atlantic stars.

And L. A. CONFIDENTIAL didn't win because it is a convoluted, star-studded mess. The most overrated film of the 90's. A simplistic story that actually ends in a shootout where the good guys win and the bad guys lose and the dude kisses the girl. Trite masquerading as whispery complexity. For some reason people thought it was sliced bread. I never saw that, I was just bored.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6768 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

And L. A. CONFIDENTIAL didn't win because it is a convoluted, star-studded mess. The most overrated film of the 90's. A simplistic story that actually ends in a shootout where the good guys win and the bad guys lose and the dude kisses the girl. Trite masquerading as whispery complexity. For some reason people thought it was sliced bread. I never saw that, I was just bored.

I disagree in the strongest possible terms.

But even if I didn't, it's still better than Titanic.

Not as bad as Forrest Gump winning in the year of Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption, though.

#6769 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostGothos, on 27 August 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

See, I didn't mention the sexual assault in my post because I see it as a secondary theme to how people can just make up their mind about your guilt with no evidence, and stick to it even after you're found innocent. There's a reason for due process. Even in a case like sexual abuse.

Yeah - but we live in a world where due process takes an enormously long time and frequently there is not justice being served at the end of the process (assaulter goes unconvicted/free/reduced sentence etc.).

So... in a world where women get assaulted all the dang time and it's really difficult for even the bad cases to get successfully prosecuted, I'm not sure this movie has the best interests in its mind.

Which is why I thought it was well executed, but not a good movie to recommend to others. Too MRA when that's not needed.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6770 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Saw SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. That was pretty good.

Also randomly Netflxed THE COMPANY MEN. Kind of about how company managers screw over the employees to satisfy shareholders. Not a great story, but great cast who does a good job.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6771 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Not as bad as Forrest Gump winning in the year of Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption, though.

That I will agree with. SHAWSHANK deserved that win far more than GUMP.

And the one that still urks me bigtime was 1989, when DRIVING MISS DAISY took the award over the far superior DEAD POETS SOCIETY.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

#6772 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

That I will agree with. SHAWSHANK deserved that win far more than GUMP.

And the one that still urks me bigtime was 1989, when DRIVING MISS DAISY took the award over the far superior DEAD POETS SOCIETY.

If we're going to play this game, i raise you SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE beating SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. The first and only time i've ever yelled at the Oscars.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6773 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Saving Private Ryan is pretty pony, though. The Thin Red Line should have won, if anything.

#6774 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Saving Private Ryan is pretty pony, though. The Thin Red Line should have won, if anything.

I could not be more diametrically opposed to your opinion if you had written it in the blood of my cherished ancestors and then stapled it to a rabid badger and thrown it at me when i wasn't looking and also drunk.

(((We're sort of offtopicating. I shall move these posts to the movie thread.
ETA DONE)))

#6775 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

Abyss said:

1409165943[/url]' post='1146005']

polishgenius said:

1409163469[/url]' post='1145994']

I could not be more diametrically opposed to your opinion if you had written it in the blood of my cherished ancestors and then stapled it to a rabid badger and thrown it at me when i wasn't looking and also drunk.

Seconded

Never understood people's love for TRL.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6776 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

View Postamphibian, on 27 August 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Yeah - but we live in a world where due process takes an enormously long time and frequently there is not justice being served at the end of the process (assaulter goes unconvicted/free/reduced sentence etc.).

So... in a world where women get assaulted all the dang time and it's really difficult for even the bad cases to get successfully prosecuted, I'm not sure this movie has the best interests in its mind.

Which is why I thought it was well executed, but not a good movie to recommend to others. Too MRA when that's not needed.

Well, "too MRA" it would be, IMO, if it was just all the women getting at Hannibal's throat while the men would cry in anguish and beat their fists into the ground out of helplessness in the rain. But maybe that's just how americans would do it.
As for due process:
- takes forever - true enough. still better than a mob.
- frequently no justice - well, we mostly only hear about these cases. No journalist would chase a story saying "man found rightfuly guilty in court, will serve punishment".

#6777 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostMcLovin, on 27 August 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Also randomly Netflxed THE COMPANY MEN. Kind of about how company managers screw over the employees to satisfy shareholders. Not a great story, but great cast who does a good job.

Sounds like every company, ever.

View PostAbyss, on 27 August 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

That I will agree with. SHAWSHANK deserved that win far more than GUMP.And the one that still urks me bigtime was 1989, when DRIVING MISS DAISY took the award over the far superior DEAD POETS SOCIETY.
If we're going to play this game, i raise you SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE beating SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. The first and only time i've ever yelled at the Oscars.

Still not as bad as Gwynneth Paltry beating Cate Blanchett ... and that acceptance speech. :) :D :) :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Sombra: 28 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6778 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 August 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Abyss said:

1409165943[/url]' post='1146005']

polishgenius said:

1409163469[/url]' post='1145994']

Seconded

Never understood people's love for TRL.

Thirded. TRL is another one of Terrence Mallick's self-indulgent messes that fails as both an entertaining film and a WWII film. SPR on the other hand, was so well done as a WWII film that it caused Spielberg and Hanks to bring us not one but TWO stunning HBO WWII miniseries (BAND OF BROTHERS, THE PACIFIC)....so....your arguemnt is invalid PG. :)

*waits for Amph to come on-thread and defend Mallick* :rolleyes:

#6779 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 August 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

...Thirded. TRL is another one of Terrence Mallick's self-indulgent messes that fails as both an entertaining film and a WWII film. ...

Throw in the lack of a plot, interchangeable cast of wooden young white guys with no distinguishable characteristics, and gratuitous celebrity walk-ons. Also, boring. SO MUCH sitting around.
They tried to market the flic as the next SAVING. Not close, not remotely close.

#6780 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 August 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Thirded. TRL is another one of Terrence Mallick's self-indulgent messes that fails as both an entertaining film and a WWII film. SPR on the other hand, was so well done as a WWII film that it caused Spielberg and Hanks to bring us not one but TWO stunning HBO WWII miniseries (BAND OF BROTHERS, THE PACIFIC)....so....your arguemnt is invalid PG. :)

*waits for Amph to come on-thread and defend Mallick* :rolleyes:

Band of Brothers' absolute brilliance just throws SPR's cheesy sentimentality (apart from the brilliant opening, obviously) into even more stark relief.

Malick's films on the other hand I tend to adore on a gut level, and TRL is no different, though I haven't seen it for a long while now. It's just poetry in motion. Marketing it as 'the next Private Ryan' was a mistake, but because it's so different- 2001 isn't worse than Star Wars, it's just barely relatable despite being technically the same genre.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users