• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11141 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:36 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 May 2020 - 05:23 PM, said:

Ah, I thought it was some fancy digital release thing

I get them on iTunes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11142 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:35 AM

The Joker. Just superb. I think the people who hate on it were expecting DC/Marvel action, brain numbing eye dazzle movie, while they stuffed popcorn in their faces. Which is confusing because none of the promotion indicated it would be that type of movie. It clearly was always going to be an exploration of criminal mental illness. And damn, Joaquin Phoenix delivers. Sure, it's unsettling, gritty and disturbing, but that is what is being examined over 2 hours. A treatise on the collapse of health care and mental illness treatment.

#11143 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

I think the hating was more about the worry that the film would take an unredeemably screwed up and evil character like the Joker and give him a background story which might evoke sympathy or somehow 'legitimise' his character and life choices. Which I dont feel it did, but I understand where the concerns stem from because it is a fine balance on a knife edge. People inherently will feel a sense of identification and/or sympathy with any main character in a film because that is the window through which the story is perceived. Knowing what the Joker will become makes that a very awkward premise.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 17 May 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11144 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:27 AM

Watched A Dogs Purpose last night.

Yes it's Hella sad in parts, there was trying done, but it's still a happy film, and has a solid uplifting ending. Josh Gad does a pretty good job on the voice of Bailey, and the human stories are well enough managed as well.

Having two dogs that exhibit a lot of the physical goofyness on show as well made it even funnier for us but there's some solid big laughs.

#11145 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:53 AM

View PostGorefest, on 17 May 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I think the hating was more about the worry that the film would take an unredeemably screwed up and evil character like the Joker and give him a background story which might evoke sympathy or somehow 'legitimise' his character and life choices. Which I dont feel it did, but I understand where the concerns stem from because it is a fine balance on a knife edge. People inherently will feel a sense of identification and/or sympathy with any main character in a film because that is the window through which the story is perceived. Knowing what the Joker will become makes that a very awkward premise.

To be fair I know a couple of people who did come out of watching it claiming it's a great film because it makes you sympathise with the Joker....

Watched The Theory of Everything at the weekend. Cracking film, although very sad. Eddie Redmayne does a phenomenal job.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 18 May 2020 - 07:53 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#11146 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 May 2020 - 03:35 AM, said:

I think the people who hate on it were expecting DC/Marvel action, brain numbing eye dazzle movie, while they stuffed popcorn in their faces.

I haven't seen it yet, but none of the people I know who hate on it (and there's quite a lot) hate on it because they were expecting popcorn fare. It's mostly because they think it's a poor imitation of the Scorsese films it's clearly inspired by, coupled with some of them thinking it did a bad and potentially harmful job of examinging the issues it's examining.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11147 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:37 PM

Okay, I need a new movie to watch. Joker was excellent, unless you are expecting neat and tidy action fare to stuff popcorn into your pie hole while going ohhh... ahhhhh, like Avengers Endgame. Then I would say Joker isn't for you, bye Felecia. But I need a new flick to watch now and saw this list of disaster movies. I've seen a few on the list, sure, but thought I get some reccos from you film fr33k5. So hit me.

20 Disaster Movies You Should Absolutely Watch Right Now

#11148 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Cats.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11149 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

Was it good? Bad? So bad it's good?

#11150 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

Well, it qualifies as a disaster film.

Disclaimer: haven't seen it, won't see it.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11151 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:36 PM

Rented SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for the kiddos, and it was really quite well done. I think the choice was smart to completely redo the CGI for Sonic from the original trailer...as I think the charm of the character would have been lost in that more humanoid/realistic being. Anyways, the humour was about at the right level for my 4y/o, while not really alienating adults. It was fun and never tries to be anything more than a simple "quest" flick.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11152 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

No buttholes = disaster
With buttholes = celluloid masterpiece.

The butthole cut is out there. I patiently wait until a brave individual releases that magic to share with the world. A new age of peace and understanding will dawn when that happens.

#11153 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:56 PM

So, the two PERCY JACKSON flicks are on D+ because both were made under Fox and Disney acquired the IP in the buyout. I recall not liking either much because they were half-well cast (and half poorly cast), but moreover becuase they cut the author (Riordan) out of the loop, ignored advice he did give (against aspects they were changing), and they changed the story up, aged the characters too much, and made a hash of the whole thing...all in a CLEAR attempt to give Fox their Harry Potter franchise (I mean, they hired Chris Columbus to make the first movie; if that's not a bid to get their Harry Potter going, I don't know what is)...but of course they wanted to rush the whole thing and fell flat on their face in the attempt. The movies are quite rightly derided by both casual movie fans and fans of the series.

Anyways, since the books series is being made into a Disney+ TV prestige show now with the full involvement of Rick and Becky Riordan as advisors, I have high hopes that this series (easily my second fave YA series after Harry Potter) will get the adaptation that it deserves (and fans even hope that people who played the kids in the movies like Logan Lerman will play the adult god roles, like Poseidon...a solid idea).

So I decided to got back and re-read the series while re-watching the crappy Fox movies on D+, and halfway through book 1 I really now realize how badly they fucked up the movies and how they basically cut off their own foot from the get-go. The rest of this post is a deep dive into the PERCY movies and why they differ from he books and why that's bad, so if you are uninterested, don't click the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

safe to say you can all still skip the 2 Fox PERCY movies. They are garbage. They MIGHT make for decent strung together action sequences...but in every other way they are bad.

#11154 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 May 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 08 May 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Watched Lost in Translation last night, for the first time since I saw it at the cinema.

I loved it all over again. Sofia Coppola really did that perfectly.

Her other movies are hit or miss depending on ones taste, but LOST IN TRANSLATION is perfect, and a lot of that has to do with the cast and crew she assembled. Scarlett and Bill are note perfect. Lance Acord's style of guerrilla cinematography fits SO well with a narrative in modern day Japan. Sarah Flack on editing (she often works with Soderbergh) did a stunning job. Soundtrack is Kevin Shields, not a traditional composer or score, but a songwriter so it feels completely organic to the mood (no soaring highs, no super low lows like a traditional film score). Since she wrote it and produced it she had a freedom you don't often see in the film industry. The behind the scenes stuff for this flick is so worth watching to see just how grassroots a lot of the film was with various things happening on the fly and pushed into the film through necessity : The walk across Shibuya square scene nearly didn't happen because they failed to secure a permit to do it from the Tokyo authorities...so Lance walked across with his camera slung low by his hip and shot it handheld. This is why that scene is filmed in that fashion....but now you'd look at it and think it was expertly planned that way because it just works. The restaurant that Scarlett and Bill eat in in Daykinyama (the one they have their bad meeting in) kicked them out becuase it was disrupting business, so she recut the scene...and the abruptness of that actually FITS the narrative of the scene. The hospital waiting room scene is another one...the non-verbal-convo with the older woman is entirely ad-libbed by Bill. I THINK there was dialogue written for him, but the hand gestures got a bigger reaction from the crew, so they kept it.

TL;DR: LOST IN TRANSLATION is one of those lightning in a bottle flicks. Timeless.

Watched it tonight with the Ladyhawk. Colour us both underwhelmed after the hype.

It was fun yeah, but this kind of aimless film isnt our bag at all.

My wife to be demands to know what the fuck Bill whispered to Scar at the end.

#11155 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 May 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 May 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 08 May 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Watched Lost in Translation last night, for the first time since I saw it at the cinema.

I loved it all over again. Sofia Coppola really did that perfectly.

Her other movies are hit or miss depending on ones taste, but LOST IN TRANSLATION is perfect, and a lot of that has to do with the cast and crew she assembled. Scarlett and Bill are note perfect. Lance Acord's style of guerrilla cinematography fits SO well with a narrative in modern day Japan. Sarah Flack on editing (she often works with Soderbergh) did a stunning job. Soundtrack is Kevin Shields, not a traditional composer or score, but a songwriter so it feels completely organic to the mood (no soaring highs, no super low lows like a traditional film score). Since she wrote it and produced it she had a freedom you don't often see in the film industry. The behind the scenes stuff for this flick is so worth watching to see just how grassroots a lot of the film was with various things happening on the fly and pushed into the film through necessity : The walk across Shibuya square scene nearly didn't happen because they failed to secure a permit to do it from the Tokyo authorities...so Lance walked across with his camera slung low by his hip and shot it handheld. This is why that scene is filmed in that fashion....but now you'd look at it and think it was expertly planned that way because it just works. The restaurant that Scarlett and Bill eat in in Daykinyama (the one they have their bad meeting in) kicked them out becuase it was disrupting business, so she recut the scene...and the abruptness of that actually FITS the narrative of the scene. The hospital waiting room scene is another one...the non-verbal-convo with the older woman is entirely ad-libbed by Bill. I THINK there was dialogue written for him, but the hand gestures got a bigger reaction from the crew, so they kept it.

TL;DR: LOST IN TRANSLATION is one of those lightning in a bottle flicks. Timeless.

Watched it tonight with the Ladyhawk. Colour us both underwhelmed after the hype.

It was fun yeah, but this kind of aimless film isnt our bag at all.

My wife to be demands to know what the fuck Bill whispered to Scar at the end.

AH. That I can answer.

It was purposely improvised on the spot by Bill as per instructions to do so from Sofia.

What he reportedly whispered was "I have to be leaving, but I won’t let that come between us. OK?”

#11156 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:49 AM

I'm not sure if this answer will satisfy.

but at least its something

I don't think I'll get picking next movie night

#11157 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:27 AM

Hey, not our fault that your future missus has poor taste in movies. Perhaps a good moment to rethink the relationship?

Next time, suggest "C'est arrive pres de chez vous".
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11158 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:00 PM

Just watched the new Tenet trailer:

https://youtu.be/L3pk_TBkihU

I think that trailer actually diminished my interest in the film. Seems too gimmicky. Like they want to do another Inception but there's just something off about it.

#11159 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostAptorian, on 22 May 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

I think that trailer actually diminished my interest in the film. Seems too gimmicky. Like they want to do another Inception but there's just something off about it.

I agree with Apt (I know!) here. That trailer diminished my interest. The whole "inversion" thing reminds me too much of INCEPTION and it feels like he's chasing replication of that movie with a different angle/gimmick. Down to Pattinson doing his Best Tom Hardy-In-INCEPTION imitation.

And after hating INTERSTELLAR and being lukewarm on DUNKIRK, I'm not all in on Nolan's stuff anymore.

I could be wrong and this could be great, but as it stands I'm "meh"

#11160 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

It feels like he came up with this inversion concept but has no idea what story to hang off it. It's not like the two trailers we've seen are teasers that aren't telling us anything, especially that one: we've got loads of info, it just doesn't seem to point to anything coherent.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users