• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11121 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

surely Heath Joker falls into that.
his father was horribly abusive to him, physically disfigured him and clearly fucked him up. He is a human, something happened that made him "bad".
Does he play it very well, yes, but there is a clear link to his childhood trauma and what makes the joker the "insane" bad guy? yes

#11122 User is online   Lackluster Bachelorette 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

But he did multiple “you know how I got these scars?” fuck with people in it to. What’s the right one? None I think.

This post has been edited by Briar King: 04 April 2019 - 06:08 PM

#11123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 April 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

surely Heath Joker falls into that.
his father was horribly abusive to him, physically disfigured him and clearly fucked him up. He is a human, something happened that made him "bad".
Does he play it very well, yes, but there is a clear link to his childhood trauma and what makes the joker the "insane" bad guy? yes

Huh? Heath's Joker is the purposely the unreliable narrator who's back-story keeps changing throughout the film. None of it is true.
“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld

#11124 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:50 PM

I quite like the theory that he's an ex-soldier who got fucked up in a truck explosion, but I'm glad the film didn't make that or any other backstory the canon.

But yeah, like I say, I don't have any problem with the Joker having a backstory, he's not Hannibal Lecter and I think the explanation can suit his theme, I just don't want to know with any certainty what it is. It's one of the great things about the Joker that he's so damn mutable while always being recognisably the Joker. Another way in which he's the opposite of Bats, who although he clearly has some differences especially in the Adam West version is generally a fairly fixed point and it's his world that mutates depending on writer/context etc. The Joker being the ultimate embodiment of that.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11125 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

On the one hand, I agree that a Joker origin story is inherently unsavory...on the other hand, the fact that it's a one-off thing with no connection to any 'canon' is a strong point too. Comics are rife with these kinds of things, right? There's canon and then there's letting individual authors try their hands at a classic character independent of canon (not to mention actual What If type books). The bigger question mark here, for me at least, is gonna be the angle they take. Is this gonna be Taxi Driver or Bad Lieutenant, where you watch a bad guy continue to unravel? Could be dark fun. Or is this gonna be yet another anti-hero thing, where lip service is paid to the guy being a villain while you're asked to sympathize with his plight...sure what he did was wrong, but society made him do it! Hopefully it's not that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11126 User is online   Lackluster Bachelorette 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

Watching Expendables 3 and I remember how shit this movie was in comparison to the awesome popcorn that 1&2 were.

Shitty cgi in this one.

#11127 User is online   Lackluster Bachelorette 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

My take on Joker in simple BK: I’m not even a fraction of 6th x 2 + .02 as knowledgeable or even care about DC as QT. I don’t care about origins stories and such. It just looks dumb to me. Phoenix has proven he can do a twisted character with his role as Commodus in Gladiator but I personally think he is a bit to old to be pulling this role which isn’t helping my this looks dumb opinion. I could very well be doing a disservice to it thinking that but upon 1st impressions that’s the way I feel. He just seems wrong and I couldn’t connect him with the comic character.

Yes I know.... Nicholson...

That was my 1st Joker though and I was like 8 so I didn’t think about shit like that then.

#11128 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

It's not a popular opinion but I always thought Nicholson was a rubbish Joker. Great bad guy/psychopath, far too controlled in his mannerisms and his general behaviour to be a Joker I liked.

ps I know that Joker is realistically possibly the only villain who could carry his own movie and if there are others than it's, like, two or three, but the idea of villain standalones makes me want to see a Mads Mikkelsen as Vandal Savage movie.

Also, more realistically probably, for Marvel to do Doom.

#11129 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

Apparently there's a Dr. Doom standalone movie w/ Noah Hawley behind it that is in perpetual production limbo.

#11130 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:42 AM

View Postworry, on 04 April 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Apparently there's a Dr. Doom standalone movie w/ Noah Hawley behind it that is in perpetual production limbo.

He should team up with Gambit.
CHASE: Paw Patrol is ready for action Mr Pust sir!
PUST: *pauses ranting* What does that mean?
ZUMA: It means let's dive in, dude!
PUST: What? What is a dude? WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol

#11131 User is online   Lackluster Bachelorette 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:00 AM

Love that Cajun.

#11132 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Maybe wrong place but I need to know

In one comic batman becomes the new god of knowledge or at least has access to his chair/throne. He asks who is the joker, receives an answer and just goes 'oh my god'. What was the answer?

#11133 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Cap
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Being Awesome

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:06 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 04 April 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

It's not a popular opinion but I always thought Nicholson was a rubbish Joker. Great bad guy/psychopath, far too controlled in his mannerisms and his general behaviour to be a Joker I liked.

^^This. 100% agree. I never liked his Joker, and everyone always talks about how great he was. I don't see it.
“Judge them for what they wished to be,” he begged the Father of Gods, “not what the world made of them.”
― Nicholas Eames, Kings of the Wyld

#11134 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostCause, on 05 April 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

In one comic batman becomes the new god of knowledge or at least has access to his chair/throne. He asks who is the joker, receives an answer and just goes 'oh my god'. What was the answer?

It turns out there are three Jokers. This hasn't really been gone into since afaik but a book dealing with it (conveniently titled Three Jokers), by Geoff Johns should be starting to come out soon. It could either be a fantastic idea or the Worst. Thing. Ever. so I'm curious.

#11135 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 April 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 05 April 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

It turns out there are three Jokers. This hasn't really been gone into since afaik but a book dealing with it (conveniently titled Three Jokers), by Geoff Johns should be starting to come out soon. It could either be a fantastic idea or the Worst. Thing. Ever. so I'm curious.

Yep. Iirc the actual answer was 'There are three. Which one do you mean?'.

Personally, i'm going w this is a dumb idea. Unless they were triplets.

#11136 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

That doesn't even make sense. There should be two jokers and then some third guy who knows the copyright information or the rules to various poker games, etc.

#11137 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

It gets even better... according to one elseworlds story one of them was Alfred the butler.

#11138 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

The Joker is big business now of course. There's also The Batman Who Laughs, who's apparently become a major character coz Scott Snyder thinks he's come up with something really great. I'm not sure I agree yet (Dark Knights: Metal was ultimately too crowded to pass any judgement on any single character coming out of it and 'Batman, but crazy like the Joker isn't a new concept) but I'll read the solo series when it trades I reckon.

But anyway yeah the three Jokers is precarious. Apparently the three versions are the original 40s Joker, Silver Age Joker, and Killing Joke Joker. I'm a bit worried, but Geoff Johns usually has a pretty good handle on making even crazy concepts work (though I've not read Doomsday Clock itself yet coz, again, tradewaiting, though the reviews seem pretty good?).
There's also a non-zero chance that the concept will get into the movies because Johns clearly still has some influence there (hence what I believe is his version of Sivana in Shazam!, which even if it works I'd rather have had the classic mad scientist, and somehow a Trench movie getting greenlit post-Aquaman).

To be fair, if this movie turns out well I'd be totally up for some kind of a Three Jokers plot involving Joachim Phoenix, Jared Leto, and Mark Hamill going live action, even though the Phoenix version universe CLEARLY isn't set up for comedy alt-universe shenanigans.

#11139 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

For all you haters of the Joker movie, one of your favorite go to 'spank bank' fantasies is pretty excited about it. And it isn't like he doesn't have any knowledge about the Joker character. This will probably change your mind about how you feel, I'm guessing.Posted Image
Posted Image

#11140 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

This is the true story of the Joker origins: https://www.instagra...d=1dxhs74qmvcxb
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 562 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic