• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10461 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Everything that is not the focus (AKA not Peter or Miles) of the scenes...looks mildly out of focus, and in some cases is tripled in colour wash at the edges...almost like watching a film and not having 3D glasses on and the 2D bits in the foreground are sharp, but the background is a mess of blurs and colour wash. It's clear this was intentional, but add to that the fact that they intentionally also took out the motion blur frames....and it was physically distracting to try to watch it.

I mean, yeah, it was 100% intentional. Though the wash wasn't intended to evoke 3-D, they just liked the way it looked. I dunno, it only took me and my wife about 5-10 minutes to adjust to the animation style. And the second viewing didn't require any adjustment.

I'm assuming you watched it on a "small" screen?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10462 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 27 March 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Everything that is not the focus (AKA not Peter or Miles) of the scenes...looks mildly out of focus, and in some cases is tripled in colour wash at the edges...almost like watching a film and not having 3D glasses on and the 2D bits in the foreground are sharp, but the background is a mess of blurs and colour wash. It's clear this was intentional, but add to that the fact that they intentionally also took out the motion blur frames....and it was physically distracting to try to watch it.

I mean, yeah, it was 100% intentional. Though the wash wasn't intended to evoke 3-D, they just liked the way it looked. I dunno, it only took me and my wife about 5-10 minutes to adjust to the animation style. And the second viewing didn't require any adjustment.

Yes. And my buddy told me that he also had no problem but saw it in 3D on the big screen which draws your eye to the focus points and allows you to disregard the background more?

Anyways, again I feel sad that I could not watch it as I was enjoying it...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10463 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

I'm just kind of wondering if the screen you watched it on had some kind of technical clash with the way it was animated that exacerbated the issues just coz I've seen one or two people not like the style but I think you and Mrs QT are the only two people I've seen actually finding it difficult to watch. Don't know if that's even possible?

Also I haven't seen Bringing Out the Dead (or, truth be told, way too many Scorsese movies) but I didn't like Goodfellas much so my tastes in his films are hardly mainstream either...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10464 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 March 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

I finally got around to watching Get Out at the weekend. Sooooo good. And also as a white person without many non-white friends, soooooo awkward to watch!

I just saw that last night. It was good, and a little awkward.
Error: Signature not valid

#10465 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 27 March 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yes. And my buddy told me that he also had no problem but saw it in 3D on the big screen which draws your eye to the focus points and allows you to disregard the background more?

Anyways, again I feel sad that I could not watch it as I was enjoying it...

You need to watch more trashy anime :p Get your eyes re-adjusted to crappy "animating on 4s" animation (every 4 frames is a new image, repeated for those 4 frames) made on a shoestring budget, and then Spiderverse's "on 2s" will feel blissfully smooth by comparison. (Though I think it's more than just on 2s, seemed like at some parts the background was either on 1s or on 2s but off-sync with the foreground, and some parts of the climax definitely felt like it was all on 1s).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10466 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

I watched The Meg on HBO. I forget if anyone here already covered it. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be: inert. It's not that it's generic, it's that it's the outline of a generic movie with none of the details filled in. I mean this literally: all but one scene that could potentially thrill was in the trailer. The one exception is around the halfway point, and it's a good one, but nothing afterward lives up to it, because this movie refuses to create any tension.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10467 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

That's a shame. I've got 2 evenings of solo tv to plan and this was on the list of potentials.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#10468 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

Sorry! It's only one opinion though!

My recent shark movie rankings: The Shallows > 47 Meters Down >>>>>>>>>> Bait 3D (caught like an hour of this when I couldn't sleep, it's about sharks eating people stranded inside a flooded supermarket lol) >>>>>>>> The Meg

#10469 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

View Postworry, on 28 March 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Sorry! It's only one opinion though!

My recent shark movie rankings: The Shallows > 47 Meters Down >>>>>>>>>> Bait 3D (caught like an hour of this when I couldn't sleep, it's about sharks eating people stranded inside a flooded supermarket lol) >>>>>>>> The Meg

You may have missed Shark Lake starring Dolph Lundgren.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#10470 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

I watched Venom last night with the GF. We loved it! Might be we were just in the right mood, but Tom Hardy makes that movie delightful. The scene where Venom communicates for the first time is hilarious.

A forgettable villain, as villains tend to be in Marvel movies, but the movie was never really about that anyway. It's the story of Eddie and Venom becoming friends and making out at one point, and it was great.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10471 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

View Postworry, on 28 March 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

I watched The Meg on HBO. I forget if anyone here already covered it. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be: inert. It's not that it's generic, it's that it's the outline of a generic movie with none of the details filled in. I mean this literally: all but one scene that could potentially thrill was in the trailer. The one exception is around the halfway point, and it's a good one, but nothing afterward lives up to it, because this movie refuses to create any tension.

Just watched this, agreed on all points. Astounding lack of suspense for a giant shark monster movie.Entertaining enough but could have been so much better.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10472 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:48 PM

I just finished The Highwaymen, on Netflix, and I rather liked it.

It has this slow build throughout the movie leading, with a steady and deliberate pace, up to the final climax and the end of Bonnie & Clyde.

You should watch it, it's pretty good.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10473 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

Watched Justice League for the first (and last) time. What a dopey movie. I don't like to be one of those guys who piles on, but I have to in this case - I don't like Ben Affleck as Batman. I'm glad to see he is done playing the role.

I guess with that tease at the end of the credits, we're going to see the 'Legion of Doom' introduced in a future movie. uh, yay?

#10474 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 31 March 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

I guess with that tease at the end of the credits, we're going to see the 'Legion of Doom' introduced in a future movie. uh, yay?

DC have formally abandoned attempts to make a cohesive extended universe for now, and appear to now be actively jetissoning quite a lot of the continuity created in BvS (and Suicide Squad), so probably not unless a scenario, cast and director come up to make it genuinely a good idea.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10475 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:38 AM

Went and saw Us. Funny and genuinely scary/tense throughout. This dude knows how to make movies. Also I just love Winston Duke, and hope he becomes a superstar.

#10476 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

View PostMacros, on 25 March 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

Just watched The Dirt on netflix.
Based on Motley Crues book. I know they were stone wall fucking insane, and I know Nikki Sixx died ala Slash but how those guys (even allowing for dramatic liberty of the truth) are alive is beyond me.

Over all, and enough hits the right notes most of the way through, but the resolution after the split and ending was entirely too rushed compared to reasonable pacing through out the redt

I watched The Dirt last night. I never read the book, but I did read Nikki's Heroin Diaries and was a kid in the 80s; so I knew a lot of the background. Pretty crazy, the Ozzy scene was scary. A lot of it felt rushed. It was a fun and mindless nostalgia trip.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#10477 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

I ordered a copy of Heroin Diaries just the other day after I heard a recommendation in a podcast.

Is the dirt similar to Heroin Diaries?

#10478 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

James Gunn makes Superman movie, works out some childhood issues, shit gets fucked.

https://youtu.be/DeEYKbeTwp4

Reasonably sure i will have zero need to see this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10479 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

havent read either but I'm going to say no.

as far as I'm aware Heroin Diaries covers the years when Sixx was a full blown heroin addict, and is based on just him.
The Dirt is based on the book that they all collaborated on and give perspectives on all the band, the film takes quite a light brush over their makings, generally aiming for the crazy antics that got them headlines, the drugs and girls they were famous for and the big incidents. its by no means an in depth biopic, but its fun

#10480 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

I'm excited for Brightburn! Looks like a hoot.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users