Malazan Empire: Weird News Story Du Jour - Malazan Empire

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird News Story Du Jour One thread to bring them all and in the darkness ... wtf?

#61 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/05/wikipedia...m-editing-site/

Wikipedia bans Scientology from editing site

The online encyclopedia Wikipedia has banned members of the Church of Scientology from editing their entry on the site. Writes the Tech newspaper The Register:

Closing out the longest-running court case in Wikiland history, the site’s Arbitration Committee voted 10 to 0 (with one abstention) in favor of the move, which takes effect immediately.

The eighth most popular site on the web, Wikipedia bills itself as "the free encyclopedia anyone can edit." Administrators frequently ban individual Wikifiddlers for their individual Wikisins. And the site's UK press officer/resident goth once silenced an entire Utah mountain in a bizarre attempt to protect a sockpuppeting ex-BusinessWeek reporter. But according to multiple administrators speaking with The Reg, the muzzling of Scientology IPs marks the first time Wikipedia has officially barred edits from such a high-profile organization for allegedly pushing its own agenda on the site.

The Church of Scientology has not responded to our request for comment.

Wikipedia was harsh on the manipulators of its entries:

This longstanding dispute is a struggle between two rival factions: admirers of Scientology and critics of Scientology.

A) Editors from each side have gamed policy to obtain advantage and disputes have spilled over into, for example, articles for deletion, the reliable sources noticeboard, the conflict of interests noticeboard, and sometimes the administrators' noticeboard.

B) Aggravating factors have been (i) the presence of editors openly editing from Church of Scientology equipment and apparently coordinating their activities; and (ii) the apparent presence of notable critics of Scientology, from several Internet organisations, apparently editing under their own names and citing either their own or each other's self-published material.

C) Each side wishes the articles within this topic to reflect their point of view and have resorted to battlefield editing tactics, with edits being abruptly reverted without any attempt to incorporate what is good, to maintain their preferred status quo.

D) The worst casualties have been biographies of living people, where attempts have been repeatedly made to slant the article either towards or against the subject, depending on the point of view of the contributing editor.

E) However, this problem is not limited to biographies and many Scientology articles fail to reflect a neutral point of view and instead are either disparaging or complimentary.

-John Byrne

#62 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Patriotic squirrels

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/2009...EWS01/905300301
Error: Signature not valid

#63 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

^Patriotic squirrels? Combine them with Abyss' cats for a formidable combination...

And in this news story, some people got a bit testy....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man cuts off penis in protest of parent's wife choice

A MAN cut off his penis yesterday in protest at his parents' choice of bride, a police official said.

The 25-year-old labourer from the village of Sheikh Eissa in southern Egypt was taken to hospital in stable condition, the official said, adding that the man had also mutilated his testicles.

"He was in love with a woman but his parents rejected her and told him to marry another woman he didn't want.

"He took a knife and cut off his penis in his room.''

Doctors were unable to reattach the severed member, the official said.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#64 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

Ahhh, some good stuff there.

But this one made me happy as well as weirding me out:

http://www.news.com....738-401,00.html

Furious ... the group of five pensioners beat the man with a Zimmer frame.
Five pensioners furious over lost savings
Kidnap and torture financial adviser
Pensioners face 15-year sentences
A FINANCIAL adviser has barely escaped with his life after being beaten and held hostage for four days … by a gang of old-age pensioners.

American James Amburn was beaten until his ribs broke, burnt with cigarettes and hit with a Zimmer frame by the gang of five pensioners furious that he’d lost their £2 million ($4.1 million) savings.

Living in Germany, Mr Amburn was ambushed as he left a café and driven in the boot of an Audi to a house, where he was dumped in a cellar.

“I was jumped from the rear and struck,” he told UK tabloid The Sun.

“Then they bound me like a mummy with masking tape. It took them quite a while because they ran out of breath.”

In four days, the pensioners fed him just two bowls of soup, burned him with cigarettes and threatened to kill him “again and again”, angry that he had invested their money in a failed Florida property scheme.

He escaped once but was recaptured and beaten until his ribs broke.

Mr Amburn was eventually rescued after convincing his captors to let him fax a Swiss bank in an attempt to get their money.

He left a note for police at the bottom of the fax and armed cops stormed the house in Bavaria on Saturday.

The “Furious Five” as they have been dubbed, face 15-year sentences for hostage-taking and torture.

------------------------------------------------

They should work for ASIC. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, financially stimulated
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#65 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

am adding that story to my notes <50 things to do when you get old>

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#66 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

One can onky imagine the next step: Wallaby safe shooting galleries, methadone rehab, maybe even a project with Amy Winehouse ... :p

----------------------------------------

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25686...5000540,00.html

Wallabies get high in poppy fields, make crop circles
By Damien Brown
High on life ... the wallabies are increasingly entering the fields and eating the poppy heads, causing them to get high.
Wallabies breaking into poppy fields
Getting high and hopping round in circles
Creating "crop circles" as they hop
WALLABIES are breaking into Tasmania's poppy fields and getting high.

The strange occurrence, revealed in a State Government Budget Estimates hearing, has also solved what some growers say has spurred a campfire legend about mysterious crop circles that appear in northern Tasmania's poppy paddocks.

In true X-Files-style, Attorney-General Lara Giddings said the drugged out wallabies had been found hopping around in circles squashing the poppies, creating the formations – and hence solving the mystery.

The wallabies are increasingly entering the fields and eating the poppy heads, The Mercury reports.

That causes them to get high and run around in circles creating "crop circles".

"The one interesting bit that I found recently in one of my briefs on the poppy industry was that we have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," Ms Gidding said.

---------------------------------------------

Might explain the erratic performances of our national Rugby Union team ... :)

Cheers,

Smack my Sombra up
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#67 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:08 AM

What are these Poppy plants used for?

I'm guessing we're not talking about heroin fields in Australia.

#68 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

We are most certainly NOT.

Nothing but the best for Ozzies.

And in this story....it's so predictable.

------------------------------------------------------------

Male stripper 'cop' busted for impersonating police officer

A MALE stripper was charged and convicted of impersonating a police officer and pulling over drivers using flashing lights.

The BBC reports Stuart Kennedy, known as Sgt Eros, fitted a white strobe light to the dashboard of his car to stop motorists on Aberdeenshire roads on 28 June.

He was dressed as a police officer and had police equipment in his red Peugeot while driving to work.

The court was told 26-year-old Kennedy was on his way to carry out a strip act at the Palace Hotel in Peterhead when the first incident, involving 21-year-old delivery driver James Buchan, happened.

A few hours later, he pulled over off-duty firefighter Jamie Lawrie with his strobe light on the A90 Aberdeen to Peterhead road.

The stripper, who described himself as an entertainer, said it was company policy to wear a jacket over his police costume and said it would have been impossible for other drivers to see it.

Read more of this story here.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#69 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

View PostAptorian, on Jun 25 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

What are these Poppy plants used for?

I'm guessing we're not talking about heroin fields in Australia.

AFAIK it's the fields that produce our medicinal morphine. Very strict licensing.

The following is just a hint of what would happen were Illy and Abyss ever to combine their powerz ...

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...old-kitten.html

Beware of the, er... kitten: Terrified postmen threaten to boycott house after attack by baby cat

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:53 AM on 20th June 2009

Going postal: Elly the kitten is accused of attacking a postwoman

Swiping playfully at the camera, it's hard to imagine she could be a danger to anything - except, perhaps, her favourite toy mouse.
But to postmen, Illy the kitten might as well be a snarling rottweiler.
They say that the six-month-old moggie once jumped up at the letterbox and delivered a painful scratch to a postwoman's hand.
So fearful are they of a repeat performance that they have sent a strongly worded letter to Illy's owners - warning them to discipline her or face a delivery ban.
Kenneth Ridge, 65, and his son Bradley, 30, yesterday spoke of their shock at receiving the note describing Illy's 'attack'.
'Reading this letter you'd think I had a rottweiler at home, it really was ridiculous', Mr Ridge Snr said.
'Illy is a kitten, she's very small and friendly and was just playing.
'We weren't here, but it seems some mail was put through the letterbox and the postwoman's hand was scratched.
'I would say Illy stands up for herself, but she's never bitten me, and if she did, really could not do much damage.
'I can't believe I could have my post suspended for this. If that happens I will be making a very strong complaint.'
Illy, who weighs in at a mere 7lb, spends most of her time playing with balls of wool, chasing her tail or exploring the neighbourhood.
Mr Ridge, who runs a greengrocer's in Clapham, South-West London, first heard about her snappy side when he received the warning letter from an office manager at Royal Mail.
It read: 'I am writing to let you know that, on the 6th of June , our postman was attacked by your animal in your premises while delivering mail to your address.
'Animal attacks are a major cause of injury to Royal Mail staff and so I am writing to seek your co-operation in preventing a repeat of this unfortunate incident.
'I must advise you that, if any further incidents of this nature are allowed to take place, I shall have no alternative other than to consider suspending the delivery of mail to your home.'

Mr Ridge, who receives many important letters and packages related to his business, urged Royal Mail not to over-react.

'Everyone I tell finds it so amusing that our little kitten has been mistaken for some savage beast,' he said.
'But, on a serious note, this is a very strong letter and if it was sent to an old lady with a cat I think it could be very upsetting. I think it's over the top, and I'd like to know what treatment to the postwoman was required.'
A Royal Mail spokesman said it always treats animal attacks on postmen seriously, however minor they might appear.
'We record about 5,000 animal attacks on our postmen and women each year with the vast majority being dogs,' he said.
'The member of staff suffered a very bad cut to her hand while delivering mail through the letterbox of the address.'

He said the injury was serious enough to 'require treatment'.

---------------------------------------

This was just a small trial run. The next incident will feature Illy with lazerz and an overwhelming hunger for brainzzz ... :D

Cheers,

La Sombra, YOU JUST MARK MY WORDS THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE END!!!!!
IT'S IN REVELATIONS, PEOPLE!!!!!

#70 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

Awhh, the poor post lady needed a bandaid.

#71 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Probably got some sweet workman's comp out of the deal too.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#72 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

One of Abyss' minions, no doubt...

And in this story, the animals are getting their own back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monkey urinates on Zambia's President Rupiah Banda

A MONKEY urinated on Zambia's President Rupiah Banda during a press conference at the southern African nation's State House.

"You (monkey) have urinated on my jacket," Banda softly sneered at the monkey.

Banda, who recently won re-election, seemed a bit pee-ved as he paused and looked up to see the animal playing in a tree just above his chair.

"Perhaps these are blessings," he said continuing his address amid laughter from the audience of journalists and diplomats at the presidential offices in the capital Lusaka.

Several monkeys play around the grounds of Banda's residence and his office.

There are also many species of antelope and birds in the lush grounds.
Suck it Errant!

#73 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

http://newslite.tv/2009/07/10/man-freed-th...penis-liza.html

Man freed thanks to penis lizard tattoo

Posted Image

A man who appeared in court accused of flashing his penis at a female train guard has walked free, thanks to a tattoo on his manhood.

Hartlepool magistrates court had been told how 28-year-old Barry Kenny had drunkenly displayed his willy during a train journey from Newcastle to Hartlepool.

But the woman had not mentioned any "distinguising marks" on the penis and Barry has a two inch long lizard tattoo running along his penis.

As a result his solicitor was able to get the charges dropped, but only after Barry offered to show his willy to magistrates.

Before being reminded he was under oath Barry had wanted to claim the tattoo was seven inches long.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 11 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

#74 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

View PostAptorian, on Jul 12 2009, 04:16 AM, said:

http://newslite.tv/2009/07/10/man-freed-th...penis-liza.html

Man freed thanks to penis lizard tattoo

Posted Image

A man who appeared in court accused of flashing his penis at a female train guard has walked free, thanks to a tattoo on his manhood.

Hartlepool magistrates court had been told how 28-year-old Barry Kenny had drunkenly displayed his willy during a train journey from Newcastle to Hartlepool.

But the woman had not mentioned any "distinguising marks" on the penis and Barry has a two inch long lizard tattoo running along his penis.

As a result his solicitor was able to get the charges dropped, but only after Barry offered to show his willy to magistrates.

Before being reminded he was under oath Barry had wanted to claim the tattoo was seven inches long.

See? Tattoes aren't all bad! :killingme:

And in this story, toilet seats are a thing of the past.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Swimming pool got teen pregnant

A WOMAN is suing a hotel claiming her daughter got pregnant after using its swimming pool.

Magdalena Kwiatkowska's 13-year-old girl returned home to Poland from their Egyptian holiday expecting a baby.

Kwiatkowska believes the teenager conceived from stray sperm after taking a dip in the hotel's mixed pool. She is now demanding a payout.

A travel industry source said: "The mother is adamant that her daughter didn't meet any boys while she was there.

"She is determined to go ahead with the case."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

They really should have checked the pH level...
Suck it Errant!

#75 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

'Woman to marry fairground ride...'

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.as...entid=149033576

A 33-year-old church organist from Pennsylvania is planning to marry a magic carpet fairground ride.

'I love him as much as women love their husbands and know we'll be together forever," she said. "I was instantly attracted to him sexually and mentally.

"I wasn't freaked out, as it just felt so natural, but I didn't tell anyone about it because I knew it wasn't 'normal' to have feelings for a fairground ride."

Wolfe sleeps with a picture of the ride on her ceiling. She also carries its spare nuts and bolts around in a bid to feel closer to the machinery.

;)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 07 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#76 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

i bet all the other attractions are jealous

#77 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

she should have it checked for sir thursdays, every1s had a ride

#78 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

http://www.news.com....r-1225817439069

Police hunt bearded man wearing black bra, red knickers

* January 08, 2010 4:51PM

A HEAVILY built man wearing nothing but women's underwear and a goatee beard is the subject of a police hunt.

The man was seen acting indecently outside Unley Swimming Centre, according to AdelaideNow.

Sturt Police are investigating the incident, which occurred between 4pm and 4.30 pm on Wednesday.

The man, who has a heavy build, very short dark hair and a goatee beard, was wearing red women's underwear and a black bra.

He was seen behaving in an indecent manner under the bridge leading to the swimming centre's entrance.

He was last seen standing in the creek in Forestville Reserve before he ran away.

Anyone with information that could help identify the man should contact BankSA Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

-----------------------------------------------------

Let's all play a game of "which forum members does that description fit?" :nono:

Cougar?

#79 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

http://www.news.com....0-1225817805297

World's first life-size robotic girlfriend

* By Glenn Chapman
* January 10, 2010 2:59PM

ROXXXY the sex robot had a coming-out party in Sin City.

In what is billed as a world first, a life-size robotic girlfriend complete with artificial intelligence and flesh-like synthetic skin was introduced to adoring fans at the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas.

"She can't vacuum, she can't cook but she can do almost anything else if you know what I mean," TrueCompanion's Douglas Hines said while introducing AFP to Roxxxy.

"She's a companion. She has a personality. She hears you. She listens to you. She speaks. She feels your touch. She goes to sleep. We are trying to replicate a personality of a person."

Roxxxy stands 170cm (five feet, seven inches) tall, weighs 54.43kg (120lbs), "has a full C cup and is ready for action," according to Hines, who was an artificial intelligence engineer at Bell Labs before starting TrueCompanion.

The anatomically-correct robot has an articulated skeleton that can move like a person but can't walk or independently move its limbs.

Robotic movement is built into "the three inputs" and a mechanical heart that powers a liquid cooling system.

Roxxxy comes with five personalities. Wild Wendy is outgoing and adventurous, while Frigid Farrah is reserved and shy.

There is a young naive personality along with a Mature Martha that Hines described as having a "matriarchal kind of caring". S & M Susan is geared for more adventurous types.

Aspiring partners can customise Roxxxy features, including race, hair colour and breast size. A male sex robot named Rocky is in development.

People ordering the robots online at truecompanion.com detail their tastes and interests much like online dating sites but here, the information is used to get the mechanical girlfriend in synch with her mate.

"She knows exactly what you like," Hines said of Roxxxy, noting that Rocky will also come with personalities.

"If you like Porsches, she likes Porsches. If you like soccer, she likes soccer."

Roxxxy will chat with her flesh-and-blood mate, and touching her elicits comments varying according to personalities.

She is wirelessly linked to the internet for software updates, technical support and to send her man email messages.

People can customise "true companion" personalities and then share the programs with others online on the company's website, according to Hines.

"Just think about wife or girlfriend swapping without actually giving the person to someone else," Hines said. "You can share the personality online."

Inspiration for the sex robot sprang from the September 11, 2001 attacks, when planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon and an empty field in Pennsylvania.

"I had a friend who passed away in 9/11," Hines said. "I promised myself I would create a program to store his personality, and that became the foundation for Roxxxy True Companion."

Hines sees his creation as not only a recreational innovation but as an outlet for the shy, people with sexual dysfunction, and those who want to experiment without risk.

Roxxxy versions are priced from $US7,000 ($A7,634) to $US9,000 ($A9,815), depending on features. The sex robot is available in Europe and the United States and will eventually be available globally, according to Hines.

--------------------------------------------

Nerds in mothers' basements worldwide rejoice. WoW players find someone who won't complain about their habit.

#80 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

http://lafiga.firedo...an-two-condoms/

A woman carrying 3 or more condoms is a whore, according to Washtington DC.
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users