Malazan Empire: North America vs Europe - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

North America vs Europe Hey! Hey! Look at me I'm a bigot!

#61 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Pedant.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Goddamnit! I go and write what I think is a nice post in the Ye Big Movie thread only to find the fight it contributes to has been moved to another place! When will I begin to get clued into these forumpipez huh? I've been here a while!! Anyway... here's what I posted there:

View PostSkywalker, on Mar 24 2009, 02:56 PM, said:

View PostCougar, on Mar 24 2009, 01:40 PM, said:

Hilarious thread is hilarious, RLY watch it champ you don't want to bring on a coronary, I've also noticed Hoosiers getting a bit cocky recently 1 year syndrome I suspect. Mezla has been here long enough to know not to dive down this blind alley of a discussion I'm surprised and dissapointed at the clever doctor lady.

Wry at least American Cultural Imperialism is a relatively accurate reflection of the culture, Irish cultural hegemony is a bizarrely insidious mix of myth and invention; why is there a faux Irish bar in every city in the world, why does the US love what they perceive as Irish culture so much, why does Irish mean sticking bikes, fiddles and antiquated farming equipment to the walls, when did wearing a giant guinness hat in public become OK just because your grandad once shagged a navvy?

Focussing on Cougar's first sentence in there...

So first I thought I'd make a list of some nice stereotypes.

Americans - Barbequeing, gun-toting, dumb obese rednecks full of bluster and a misplaced sense of righteousness
Arabs - Bearded oil barons in flowing white robes who keep a harem of oppressed women in flowing black robes
Australians - basically the guy from Crocodile Dundee that keeps saying "Maayte" all the time, with irritating results
Brits - Bad teeth, bad food, stiffs that drink all day and are still stewing in the fading glory of a lost empire (and who follow royal "intrigues")
Canadians - (damned if I know!)
Indians - Oily haired call center executives that worship monkey gods, ride elephants, and charm snakes in high-rises next to slums
Irish - Guinness swilling, green-wearing dwarves who can't seem to stop bombing each other
Scandinavians - Animal skin wearing drunk barbarians with pointy horned helmets and names like Somethingortheothersson

Ahem...

Hope that provided a laugh to some and got others all riled up, because that is all the stereotypes are good for. Nuff said.

As for the "lowest common denominator"...

Empirically Verified Fact: Most people in those "masses" people speak of earlier in the thread are under-informed/ dumb in one way or another. They may also be wizard at other things, but that's beside the point. However, all commercial pop culture products are geared to their tastes. Maybe because Hollywood dominates the global movie industry (with regional exceptions to the rule, such as in India) Americans get a bad name - their 'dumbness' is simply more visible/ advertised...

E.g. most comedy is about a dumb person doing dumb things. Cue Stiffler. So americans get a rep as horny a**holes. Well, imagine if the Brit movie industry ruled and Mr Bean was the template for all comedy.

Sigh...

Anyway

/rant

Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#62 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

IADMAITTTI.... unbecoming :D
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#63 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

This sudden hatred has caused me to start a revolutionary movement; Let's All Be One Nationality So We Can Argue About Who Ate The Last Piece Of Cake, or LABONSWCAAWATLPOC. I am starting to recruit so sign up now.

In the meantime,

Farkin' Yanks!
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#64 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

less thrashing more funny pics and comparisons.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#65 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on Mar 24 2009, 02:45 AM, said:

Do not mock the sacred scripture of mad max!

Damn, Tina Turner was hot back then...

Tina Turner was never hot.

#66 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

Tina Turner was never hot.
I AM A TWAT

#67 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Never!!!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#68 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ive never got the whole "Im Irish" thing in the US, just because a grandad was or something. If that's the rule, Im so many things Im the world's biggest schizophrenic.

#69 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

Tina Turner was Never hot.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#70 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I'd wreck that bitch, even now.

#71 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on Mar 24 2009, 09:44 AM, said:

You're right you are suffering from some sort of mental illness.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#72 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Tina Turner was NEVER hot.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#73 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

NEVER hot.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#74 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

nope, she was never hot.

#75 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Nope. Never.
Error: Signature not valid

#76 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'd wreck Tina Turner. By tying her down under a derelict in a shipyard, then dropping it on her.

Never hot.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#77 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on Mar 24 2009, 02:44 PM, said:

TT, she's bigger than you man
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#78 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Oh, like THAT'S difficult.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#79 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

You're both referring to two things at once aren't you?
I am disturbed.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#80 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Mar 23 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

Fucking Antarcticans!

Go fuck a beaver you ignorant loon lover. You think it's so fucking cold up there in Canada, but you would cry like an emo pikachu having an unsedated frontal lobotomy to go back to your fucking growler-shaped country after an hour down here. Asshole.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users