Malazan Empire: I can't say no! - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I can't say no! I need a crash course in bad manners!

#41 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Ruin one of yur experiments on purpose, so you need to stay late to run it again to meet your deadline. Alternatively run a gel an experiment and incubation that will need you to monitor it, change it durin hour etc. Science has the answer toe every problem

#42 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Attached File  1178737608546.jpg (81.09K)
Number of downloads: 9

#43 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

I am dolorous menhir and I may have a solution...

Suck it up, pull it in and just do it. I've been to works meals hat have been atrocious, but liberal dosages of alcohol down my gob made it all good. If you are going to a non alcoholic place, get a hip flask and put it in yer shopper.
souls are for wimps

#44 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

OK! I think I have some decent personal growth to report. I took the Sombra and Hoosier approach. Vague and polite but firm. Basically I got up late and was on my way out later than planned so apologised and said I won't be back in time for dinner but I could show them on the map where they can go. Without me (clearly their beacon of social interaction, it is my gift, my curse) they bottled it and said they wouldn't bother. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and that was it, done!

However.........! I clearly let my guard down because then Skinny McStarverson said she would accompany me to the city. Like a rabbit caught in the headlights, I reverted to type and said "Lovely". On the subway into the city, I regained my composure and said I was off to a bar for lunch to watch the Liverpool game, she's not the football type so this was a good move on my part. She said that's not her thing so she would leave me to it. I breathed a larger sigh of relief. Once more I let my guard down.

Short story is we're going out mid-week AND Friday night instead........!!!! What have I done????
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#45 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

FAIL

If you sucked it up and got drunk...no more new messes tor eport...Mez! Remember the spider! Mighty Hunter Mezla fears no one!
souls are for wimps

#46 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 22 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

OK! I think I have some decent personal growth to report. I took the Sombra and Hoosier approach. Vague and polite but firm. Basically I got up late and was on my way out later than planned so apologised and said I won't be back in time for dinner but I could show them on the map where they can go. Without me (clearly their beacon of social interaction, it is my gift, my curse) they bottled it and said they wouldn't bother. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and that was it, done!

However.........! I clearly let my guard down because then Skinny McStarverson said she would accompany me to the city. Like a rabbit caught in the headlights, I reverted to type and said "Lovely". On the subway into the city, I regained my composure and said I was off to a bar for lunch to watch the Liverpool game, she's not the football type so this was a good move on my part. She said that's not her thing so she would leave me to it. I breathed a larger sigh of relief. Once more I let my guard down.

Short story is we're going out mid-week AND Friday night instead........!!!! What have I done????

So personal growth = getting better at lying and feeling so guilty about it that you overcompensate?

I must have been sick the day they taught that one in class...

It looks like they're genuinely trying to reach out to you and to do interesting stuff.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#47 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:19 AM

View Postamphibian, on Mar 22 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

So personal growth = getting better at lying and feeling so guilty about it that you overcompensate?

I must have been sick the day they taught that one in class...

It looks like they're genuinely trying to reach out to you and to do interesting stuff.

What are you, some kind of christian?

#48 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 22 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

1. STOP IMMEDIATELY AGREEING TO THINGS! What do you do if a guy just walks up and asks you to have sex, in a polite way? You are NOT obligated to do things you don't enjoy for propriety's sake. It's your life.

2. Read step one again.

3. Well... I don't have much else.

4. Read step one... AGAIN!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#49 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:37 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Mar 22 2009, 09:21 PM, said:

1. STOP IMMEDIATELY AGREEING TO THINGS! What do you do if a guy just walks up and asks you to have sex, in a polite way? You are NOT obligated to do things you don't enjoy for propriety's sake. It's your life.

2. Read step one again.

3. Well... I don't have much else.

4. Read step one... AGAIN!

:X

I have a serious problem! I did do well in the first place! They even suggested meeting later and I managed it again. It's when they catch me off guard. I have been mentally conditioned.

I'm not going anywhere with them. I am going to beat this!

#50 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

I usually just say thanks but I am not in the mood. And if they try to make other plans, just say how about we wait until another time or something. But I am bitch :X

Maybe get all your friends who understand to contsantly ask you to do things that you should say no to until your mental conditioning to say yes is removed?? Just as long as you don't get annoyed at the people you like for helping you :X
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#51 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

Do what I do, agree to everything and then make absolutely no move to come through with your agreed plans. Be minimally involved in the planning if at all and don't show up. If they call say sorry you forgot all about it.

This way by the time you feel bad about it it's too late to actually be put out by it, which is much worse than the feeling bad part.

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 23 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

#52 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 22 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Hindu/atheist, who is probably being too much of an a-hole because he thinks he detects a series of bitch moves.

Carry on with your roommate-hatin' though, I'm sure it'll get you somewhere productive.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#53 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

View Postamphibian, on Mar 23 2009, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 22 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Hindu/atheist, who is probably being too much of an a-hole because he thinks he detects a series of bitch moves.

Carry on with your roommate-hatin' though, I'm sure it'll get you somewhere productive.

If you don't like the thread, don't read it... I mean, why the outright hostility?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#54 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:47 AM

Just tell them you have to hang out with your friends on the Internet. Then show them a random sampling of our posts in the Inn. If they're not horrified, they're probably cool people.

#55 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

:X

That is actually very good advice. "Hanging out with friends from the internet" should scare away anyone who isn't up for... well... anything.

#56 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Mar 23 2009, 03:47 PM, said:

Just tell them you have to hang out with your friends on the Internet. Then show them a random sampling of our posts in the Inn. If they're not horrified, they're probably cool people.

You forget, Rodoe, that not everyone is as twisted as you.

If these people aren't going to take the hint, then direct action might be required Mez.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#57 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

Old standby: Family emergency.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#58 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

Did you try the barrel roll?

#59 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on Mar 23 2009, 05:47 AM, said:

And then they look up this thread, and promptly leave her alone for the remainder of her stay. Brilliant plan, I must say.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#60 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 22 2009, 01:27 AM, said:

Not only am I schizophrenic, I have been charged (because I can't say NO) with finding a venue for said dinner with one companion who doesn't drink and only eats Halal meat and another that only eats organic, non-garlicy, oil-free food. Not only am I going to be stuck with insane company, I'm going to have to pay to eat something shitty and smile about it and I will sit there and say "How lovely" because I'm a polite bloody idiot.

RIGHT! That's it. Between now and this time tomorrow, I am going to tell them I can't go. I just can't bear the thought of someone thinking I'm impolite. It actually causes me mental distress. Some of you must be friendless shits. Tell me, how do you do it?!?!

I have also suffered the social setback of being brought up 'properly.' You just need to utilise that inner attitude, but filter it through your polite veneer to add a convincing touch.

I generally get out of things by having an instinctive response deferral, like 'I'll have to see - can I get back to you when I've spoken to X?' Then you can appear quite keen (using your natually convincing politeness) whilst actually giving you space to construct a reasonable excuse. It also gives you more time to think about the offer - if it's good, you can say whatever X was has been cancelled.

Or, even put off in favour of their offer - this is good, as if you say yes to the more tolerable stuff, it's more convincing when you decide you can't be arsed. You basically get your own way, without having to be rude. An additional bonus is that long term, if it's someone you really don't want to do anything with, ever, but can't say no to them for whatever reason, after a few complete apologetic deferrals, they will stop asking altogether.

Or , take them out, get drunk, and throw up on one/both of them.

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 23 2009, 01:19 AM, said:

'Some of you must be friendless shits.'

See, you can do it! :X

Maybe you need to release the inner mez, just a little..

'organic, no garlic? What are you some kind of #@*@?!

(This may not be very useful long term, but it would make you feel better.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users