Malazan Empire: I can't say no! - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I can't say no! I need a crash course in bad manners!

#61 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Mar 23 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

If you don't like the thread, don't read it... I mean, why the outright hostility?

Because amphibian loves trolling me to disguise the fact he is really in love with me.

@ Traveller - the social setback of being brought up properly - I love it :X

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 23 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#62 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm surprised Amphibian can reach his keyboard from the saddle of his high horse.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 23 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

I AM A TWAT

#63 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 23 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Mar 23 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

If you don't like the thread, don't read it... I mean, why the outright hostility?

Because amphibian loves trolling me to disguise the fact he is really in love with me.

@ Traveller - the social setback of being brought up properly - I love it :D

Yeah, I had great fun living in Manchester - I don't have a what I would call a posh accent or anything, but it's definitely what could (and has) been described as 'well spoken.' (I would get funny looks ordering a Latte in 'southern.')

My accent changed after a couple of years, but after hearing someone else with the same sort of hybrid, I was so horrified I had to stop it!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

@Apt - your plan is flawed bcs either the mesh corrodes and the body parts float away, or it doesn't but keeps all the little bone pieces in one handy spot for the subsequent police divers and forensic reconstruction. The answer is tar pits. Unsupervised tar pits.

Your problem, Mez, imnsho, isn't that you're too nice. It's that you react, rather than respond. The trick is stop/think. You don't HAVE to answer on the spot, to anything. If you took a moment to consider the question, all the above response, up to and including Apt's forensically risky approach which at least gives you something to do that night if you're bored.

As for the unwanted invite sitn, i find this falls into three categories -
1) People i have to be nice to but don't want to hang with - co-workers i see all the time, etc. My usual response is a 'That would be great but I am really busy these next few weeks. Maybe another time. Let me get back to you.'. Thus, you take it upon yourself to initiate the plans, then never do.

2) The 'oh hell no' situation. When you have nothing to lose and no interest... 'No, that's not going to happen any time soon.'. It's the ambiguity of the response that works so well. They can take it however they want, but the pfo is still clear.

3) The favour-to-a-friend. You all know this one - you really, REALLY don't want to go but your friend is dragging you along as wingman/woman, company or whatever. My response in these situatons is: "Ok, fine, but just to be clear, i am going. to get. HAMMERED. And you're paying.". Either you're out or you drink for free.

Oh, and if your response was 'but i don't drink' then fall back on 2. The friend takes it as a reflection on the other people, not them. Or take up drinking.

- Abyss, Yoda for the socially challenged.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

The problem with 3 is not just some peoples lack of drinking, but some activities outright don't allow it.
My friends dragged me to some things I did not like. Unfortunately those events served no booze nor allowed any.

Though Abyss is right. Half your new problems have arisen to you being off guard.
I find this a bit surprising, since you know they'll be asking to do stuff, well at least swiss army knife thin girl will.
So when asked follow Abyss' advice, Stop, Think, Rebuff.
The added bonus of taking a second to think will subconsciously prepare them for a "no".
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#66 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on Mar 23 2009, 03:16 PM, said:

@Apt - your plan is flawed bcs either the mesh corrodes and the body parts float away, or it doesn't but keeps all the little bone pieces in one handy spot for the subsequent police divers and forensic reconstruction. The answer is tar pits. Unsupervised tar pits.

Nonsense. You want the bones to spread, that's the whole point of using a large mesh in the chicken wire. Fish, crabs, decomposing and the seas tug will make sure the bones are picked clean. When the bones are released they'll scatter over a large area, hundreds of miles possibly, making identification harder, since you don't know where the body was originally dumped. The DNA will of course eventually identify them but that's only if the police even bother getting their DNA, with no crimescene of obvious struggle the police will think they just disappeared. Weird tourists.

The Tarpit is a worse idea because allthough they are hard to search they will preserve the bodies for ever.

Woodchippers + Pig farm, great solution.

Crematorium + open sea, perfect solution.

@ Mez - You wouldn't happen to have bumped into any funeral directors in a bar or something like that? Or better yet, does the place you're living in have one of those old school furnaces in the cellar?

Alternatively Mezla could also just stop speaking to them. Like clamp up completely when they adress her. That would be funny-

#67 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

View PostCougar, on Mar 23 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

I'm surprised Amphibian can reach his keyboard from the saddle of his high horse.

perhaps it's a pony
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#68 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Mar 23 2009, 01:19 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on Mar 22 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

So personal growth = getting better at lying and feeling so guilty about it that you overcompensate?

I must have been sick the day they taught that one in class...

It looks like they're genuinely trying to reach out to you and to do interesting stuff.

What are you, some kind of christian?

I really did LOL at that..................
Take Skinny McStarveson to the local BustmaGirdle Franchise and set the "Eat the whole menu" challenge.............get drunk,whip your bra off and dance on the table. You should end up with a few laughs and they will never bother you again.

Oh and take pics................

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#69 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Pay the strange Danish man no heed, Mezla... A polite, but firm, "No thanks" works on most occasions and if it doesn't you're then allowed to get all defensive and hostile, which will put them off for good, I would have thought.

It does sound life your Swiss Chocolate Dodger is genuinely trying to make some sort of outreach though (I hate myself for agreeing with Amphibian but at least I'm conforted by the prospect that it won't happen again...) All three of you are alone in a strange (very strange) country, you and The Silent One are probably the only people she knows. And she would also appear to have decided that you are sane and possibly good company; which could, if you squint, be considered a compliment of sorts.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#70 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Mar 23 2009, 08:44 AM, said:

View PostCougar, on Mar 23 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

perhaps it's a pony

Posted Image

#71 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

That Jpeg makes me sad Rodeo, I'm a very sensitive cat.
I AM A TWAT

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users