Malazan Empire: The Call of Duty Series - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Call of Duty Series Bang bang bang BOOOOM! bang bang RATATATA!!!, etc.

#381 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

I pretty much like every sniper rifle in the game. The intervention is fun as hell to use for me (the bolt action is so satisfying to kill people). The Barret is the best statistically: less sway, semi-auto, etc. The Wa2000 is the best for a cold blooded class because stopping power doesn't affect it. the m21 is just okay, but is fun for a acog. My latency has been horrible lately and I've been getting nothing but hit markers with any of them.

The only handgun I really like are akimbo magnums. Akimbo Deagles are fun, but damn are they hard to use, but they sound like a cannon. m9 and usp are okay.

And yes the FAL is a beast. throw a holo sight/stopping power and it is a two hit kill at any range and 1 hit headshot kill at close range.

Finially took the time to unlock akimbo g18's. They are ridiculous. I mean its not even fair.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#382 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

handguns are most certainly not useless.

I get a ton of kills with my colts. I actually find them better than the machine pistols for the most part. You just gotta get good at the quick triggerpulls.

Although, my style favours the 3-shot burst guns + guns that require aim rather than spray...so I find the pistols not so bad.

I find the shotguns a bit unreliable at times...and I have a terrible time killing anybody with the full-auto one. Anybody have the grip for that yet?

Last night I did put SP on the intervention + silencer and was one-shotting the world with it. Its a hefty damage boost actually. I was playing that rundown map and sniping the everloving shit out of the other team camping in the central building complex. One shots are pretty sweet and the SP makes the gun way more efficient....but oh do I ever hate getting shot by stupid air support. Its way too prolific in MW2 imo. Should either require more kills or just allow less of them in the sky at a time. Kinda retarded when you get to the point that there's a harrier and 2 helicopters, then somebody gets chopper gunner or something.

Changing my opinon of the intervention but the barret is still useless.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#383 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 21 April 2010 - 02:42 PM, said:

I find the shotguns a bit unreliable at times...and I have a terrible time killing anybody with the full-auto one. Anybody have the grip for that yet?

The AA12. I love this damn shotgun.

If you take the time to get the grip it becomes just plain awesome cause the gun doesnt rise when you shoot it. I'm about 20 kills away from 500 and unlocking the extended mags. Which will also be awesome cause the only downfall with this weapon is you go through ammo so fast.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#384 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

Alright, have to wade in here with my own opinion.

The EBR is the best suited rifle for silencers - it's high rate of fire and large mags mean two-shots are a lot easier than with any other rifle. I also agree that putting an ACOG on this can make it pretty fun. ^^

The Intervention is bolt action. To me, this makes it the coolest sniper (because bolt action > semi auto in snipers), but the slow rate of fire means you really do need to be a good shot. I just so happen to be such a good shot on the Xbox, so in smaller games it's win.

The WA2000 is the middle of the road sniper. Probably why a lot of you seem to like it. It's semi, with a decent rate of fire, and enough damage to make upper torso shots a kill (all of them are, without a silencer, iirc). It has low recoil, so those of you who haven't yet learned how to control that will no doubt do better with it. :p

The Barrett is the best sniper in multiplayer. It has the highest per shot damage, it has fairly 'bad' recoil, but if you know how it falls then that's irrelevant, and it has a high rate of fire. This is the sort of problem chronic with MW2...just because you unlock a gun at a high level doesn't mean it's superior (no doubt in an effort to make things 'fairer' for newbie players).

That all being said...it's a matter of taste. Every one of the snipers is a headshot kill, they all have the same default scope and similar sway, the same attachments...the rest of it is just back-end statistics which really have little bearing on the game.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#385 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

OKokok..

I'm changing my opinion on the barret too. I got the ACOG for it and was really having some excellent rounds. It really does have superior damage but oh my does it buck when you're trying to rattle off more than one shot. Stopping power makes a big difference with that one. One shots are sweet.

Bolt action intervention is still total bullshit imo. No comparison to the rifles with better rate of fire. If you don't single-shot kill with it you're sunk on most maps. It is also pretty hard to use at med. range with the ACOG due to terrible reload time. THat's the main reason I prefer the WA2000. Semi-auto but not as much buck as the barret.

Before you reply to the above, I must qualify it with "on the PS3". I find that I usually have enough lag that I can't do without semi-auto snipes. Unless I'm shooting at some idiot holding perfectly still, I can have my crosshair perfectly centered on his little digital head at the time of shooting and still hit precisely nothing.

I did get the 100 one-shot kills challenge done...which means my gillie now automatically camouflages for urban environments too. Trez cool!

Anybody know if there are more and better gillie challenges?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#386 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Grass, Snow, and Urban (w/e that is) Ghillies are the only ones I know about.

Please stop putting ACOG's on sniper rifles, unless you are doing your 20 kills to unlock the thermal.

It is much easier to hit 1-shots while being able to hold your breath. Instead of spraying and praying. Remember that with a sniper rifle, when not zoomed in, you move as fast as if you had a SMG out. With SoH Pro, you through the scope quite fast. Superior movement, 1 shot kill ability at medium-long range, and with a spas12+grip, you have 1shot kill at close-medium range. .50 or Intervention + SPAS12 is the best setup in the game, and is a powerful class on every single map.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#387 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

I was a snipe = assault rifle guy for a little while. It can be a fun play style using the ACOG with SOH pro for the quick aims. I find its best on the smallest maps like junkyard and highrise.

I was all about them for awhile and still enjoy putting on ACOGs, but after leveling the barret and intervention over the last couple of days, being forced to use the proper scopes I'm starting to warm up to normal sniping again.

Some ACOG play is totally worth it to get the thermal whatever the case.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#388 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Go Cards!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 22 April 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

OKokok..

I did get the 100 one-shot kills challenge done...which means my gillie now automatically camouflages for urban environments too. Trez cool!

Anybody know if there are more and better gillie challenges?

The last one you unlock is desert. This is good because before you unlock this if you spawn between b and c (on afgahn) your sniper has a freaking bright red turban, which makes sniping a little difficult.

#389 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

how many killz you need for that?

I want.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#390 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Maybe 150? I just shoot them before they shoot me, it dosen't matter what I'm wearing, especially since most snipers use thermal.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#391 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

ah, looked it up. Its 200 kills.
That might take awhile

I have seen my numbers go way up using thermal. Limited field of view but you really make the most of it when the enemies glow like hot cakes.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#392 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

Saw a think on MW2 forum today

Exhaustive analysis of the snipe rifles in terms of damage and multipliers...can't find the link anymore, but the info makes sense.

1.5 = one shot kill with no perk, one shot with silencer only when simultaneously using SP perk
1.1 = one shot kill with SP perk, no one-shot possible using silencer
1.0 = no one-shot possible regardless of SP perk or silencer

Damage multipliers go by body part - Head - Neck - Chest - Body - Limbs

Intervention
1.5 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1.1 - 1.0
Slow fire rate, high penetration, medium recoil.
With SP perk, One shots possible everywhere except limbs

Barrett
1.5 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1.1 - 1.0
Fast fire rate, high penetration, high recoil
With SP perk, One shots possible everywhere except limbs

WA2000
1.5 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1.0 - 1.0
Fast fire rate, medium penetration, medium recoil
SP useless since there are no 1.1 multipliers, Good to combo with stealth perks

Whatever the last one is called
1.5 - 1.1 - 1.1 - 1.0 - 1.0
Very fast fire rate, low penetration, low recoil
Best to combo with SP for one-shots, but 2 shots easier because of low recoil.

===================

Which suggests comments by Obdigore et. al are 100% correct

Barret statistically best, esp with SP on it.
Intervention equal in power to barret, but lower reload time. Higher coolness factor due to bolt action.
WA2000 Better for amateurs due to lower recoil, and better to put with stealth class
The EBR (or whatever its called) good to combo with SP to get higher fire rate, lower recoil version of WA2000.

And silencers really hurt damage potential.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#393 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

In core you have 100 health. Each sniper does 70 I believe, and 50 while silenced. So tell me which sniper is the best for a 'stealth' class, aka - Silencer + Cold Blooded. It is the EBR. If you have to take 2 shots, the one with least recoil and fastest firing rate (semi-auto) is the choice.

http://forums.modern...ay-information/

I don't remember what the modifier on SP is, but it honestly dosen't really matter for this.

The last sniper is the 'M21 EBR', by the way.

#394 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

Why does everyone call it the 'M21'? It is most certainly not the M21. It is the 'Mark 14 Mod 0 Enhanced Battle Rifle', or M14 EBR for short.

The 'M24' a modified version of the Remington 700 bolt-action rifle for the US Marines featured in CoD4, and was arguably the best rifle in the game, but the 'M21' was the predecessor to the 'M24' and is only actually found in CoD4 as the second sniper rifle you unlock. Just because the developers deliberately named it the 'M21 EBR' for multiplayer in order to prevent people getting confused about it, does not mean everyone should adopt their foolish naming convention. Like those damned Counter-Strike kids who, upon seeing a Steyr AUG go "OMG the bullpup!" like that is its name. RAWR.

I'll stop now...

In other news, yes, silencers are kinda useful for nerfing your own gun, and to me the stated bonus of not appearing on radar, while decent, is not really worth it most of the time. People know where they're being shot from, where the sniper spots are...
And how the hell did they put a silencer on a Barrett .50 cal that doesn't shatter instantaneously? And what is the point? It's a frakking .50 cal! XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#395 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

The same way a .50 cal bullet to the leg doesn't kill, I suppose.

#396 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostSilencer, on 22 April 2010 - 09:59 PM, said:

In other news, yes, silencers are kinda useful for nerfing your own gun, and to me the stated bonus of not appearing on radar, while decent, is not really worth it most of the time. People know where they're being shot from, where the sniper spots are...
And how the hell did they put a silencer on a Barrett .50 cal that doesn't shatter instantaneously? And what is the point? It's a frakking .50 cal! XD

I'm not very good at using the radar for navigation. How ever, I have singled out directions of snipers from listening for the direction of their shots before.

#397 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

@Sixty - touche.

@Apt - afaik, silencers don't actually silence the shots...which of course is a misnomer anyway, as all suppressors do is reduce muzzle flash and remove the distinctive 'crack' of a supersonic bullet...which isn't even the suppressor, really, tbh...XD

Shinrei said:

#398 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Go Cards!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

So even though I am a 9th prestige I've never tried to get a nuke until a couple of days ago. My high killstreak is 36, but never had it setup for a nuke. Anyway, I started trying and I have decided that It makes the game not fun. Here is why:

23 kills: game ends

24 kills: commando knifed in the back

21 kills: (this is the worst) fell off the side of the building on highrise

Had a few other streaks going pretty good and got killed, but these were the worst. Basically I'm going to get one and say piss on it and ago back to 5 7 9, or 5 7 11, or 3 5 7
or 7 9 11 killstreaks because i don't stress as much.

#399 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

View PostSilencer, on 22 April 2010 - 10:21 PM, said:

You can't silence a super sonic bullet period, and trying to do it royally screws the ballistics, which the game here gets right for once, since the bullet will slow down and *correct term fail* so its not as accurate. Anything subsonic can be silenced easy though, even firing bursts.

And you CAN silence a .50 rifle, same as any other supersonic shot, it just has to match up to the wonky, but linear, relationship between powder load and shot weight the same as with smaller calibers, it just kind of defeats the real life purpose of the weapon to do so, since there's no way a shooter could reliably hit a target at a half mile or more with a silencer on.

Just started playing again... to find that "I" am prestige 8 now. Interesting. :p

#400 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

My highest kill streak is 6. But then again, I am not very focused, I am a terrible shot, I don't camp unless I am sniping and I run around using all kinds of weird perks and equipment all the time that usually works against me (Damn you throwing knife!)

How does prestige actually work. You reach level 70, then what? Do you get new challenges or a new goal? Is it something about getting a good K/D ration or something?

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

155 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 155 guests, 0 anonymous users