Malazan Empire: The Call of Duty Series - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Call of Duty Series Bang bang bang BOOOOM! bang bang RATATATA!!!, etc.

#361 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

I only intended to cut my teeth on the MP and then give it up after the free weekend, but the game hooked me good, so I ended up buying in anyway. Stupid impulse purchases!

I think I logged a good 12 hours + during the weekend, game is even more addicting than MW1s MP. All these stats and achievements are so addictive.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 12 April 2010 - 02:45 PM, said:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the PC version though...lots of the common plagues of MP shooters...like bunnyhoppers and rampant noobtubing. PS3 version at least plays a lot differently than the PC version. No bunny hopping for sure, and the games tend to revolve around obtaining and maintaining good high-ground areas. Maybe the controls layout or the inherent inferiority of a controller to a mouse-keyboard combo help in keeping the game more "playable" and less taken advantage-of. My PC user friends complain a lot but almost all the things they talk about don't seem to exist on PS3 network.

I've actually been surprised by how few "bunny hoppers" and campers I've been encountering in the game. There's definitely some people who are very pro, and there's also some people who MUST be cheating, but generally the player base seems well balanced. That might also have something to do with some of the old pros boycotting the game. Because of the smaller size of the group its become less profitable to just sit and camp the entire match. I don't really get the "noobtube" controversy. It doesn't feel terribly overpowered when I use the thumper or the attachments.

I hang out a bit in Reddits gaming sub forum and the amount of hardcore COD player rage there over MW2 had me thinking the game was completely broken. What I've found is that the MP seems 100% improved compared with MW1. Sure the lower amount of players on the maps makes the games less intense but it also means that the pressure doesn't become game breaking. The low numbers makes the battles more balanced. I really want bigger Free-for-all games, but it's okay I guess.

#362 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

The multiplayer sucks because they took away dedicated servers, and made us all suffer the console-style setup in MP. That's the only reason. (I got the game on Xbox the other day, just fyi).

And the 'noobtube' is hated on (by this they mean the underslung grenade launcher moreso than the thumper, I think) because it is very easy to get early on (hence, noobs) and gives newbie players a one-shot-kill weapon (like they can't just pick the barrett with steady aim...) and so all the people who think they should, somehow, be able to play a match without someone below level 50 ever killing them get all pissy about it. Idiots.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#363 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:45 AM

I seem to remember playing 12-person FFA games on xbox all the time, but it's been a while since I last played so I might be wrong.

Also, people hate on the noob tube (aka pro pipe) because it's relatively easy to get kills piping. In fact, some of my best (though not most memorable) games were with OMA+Pro pipe+Danger close, especially on maps like Rundown and Terminal where it's easy to get multikills.

#364 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

The biggest matches I can find are in games like Total War (I think it's called) where we play Domination + Team Deathmatch. There it's from 12- 18 players.

To be honest, I'm terrible with the grenade launchers. I always end up trying to use them short range which sees the grenade just bouncing off some surface uselessly, then I get stabbed :p

#365 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

I got a sweet achievement last night and somehow got it totally on purpose.

I was reading about one where you finish an enemy off with the impact of a flashbang grenade...like you have to hit a guy with one when he's within an inch of death.

Started playing invasion last night, first guy I shot had last stand turned on. Got him to last stand, remembered about the challenge, ran around behind him and headshotted him with a flashbang. DUN DUN DUN DUN (bonus sound effect from game) and like 10k exp points. Sweet.

I stayed away from noobtubes at the start of the game, but as I'm getting farther in, I started using them for the levelup points on my guns. (20 kills nets you a shotgun attachment for assault rifles) and if you are strategic about it they are really useful. This rather than the blind fire across the map (which is the annoying way to use em)...just use it like you're supposed to. Like if 2 guys are pinning down your team from a snipey-hole, just tube the box they're hiding in and move in.

Anybody else notice a huge difference in gameplay style between mercenary and regular TDM games? I find MTDM way better gameplay wise. Since it isn't the "default" game play style, it seems to attract folks looking for a change from the irritating double-ranger + commando losers on the regular TDM maps. Everybody plays the whole map and you end up getting some really good rounds.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#366 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

"Beasting in MW2" - Funny commentary. Basically what's going through my head as I'm playing, only, you know, I fail a lot harder than this guy.

#367 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

I still don't really get the CoD multiplayer. Without any good organization (which on the multiplayer was pretty much unlikely), the game is just a reflex-rank-luck rapefest.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#368 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

I've been playing it pretty fanatically for the past 2 weeks or so now and it's true, there really isn't much in the way of team work, unless you get a couple of color coded clan players on your team. In that case I usually try to keep an eye on team and tag along. I like to run around with the shield and guard check points and bottle necks, trying to protect team members but more often just in an attempt to be a dick to the other team.

But really most of the time I'm just running around trying to get my achievements unlocked. I'm that idiot who you find in a corner emptying clip after clip in to the cars to get the Iron Skin bonus, or the guy who in the middle of a fire fight shifts weapons and shoots a rocket after a UAV for no other reason than the fact that I love ruining the other guys fun.

#369 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Bumping in. Not that I play this or anything, but here's an interesting read:
Drama!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#370 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

What ever has been said and done, the thing that really sticks out to me is Activision withholding the MOUNTAIN of cash the game has earned. They just earned the equivalent of the BNP of Iceland, fucking give the Developers some of the cash you money hungry fuckwits!

Hell, the Map package alone just brought them enough money to develop ten new COD games.

#371 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I did a cool challenge in my evolution of sniping skills.

I think you get it for 50 one-shot kills

Unlocks the arctic gillie suit, so if yer using a snipe rifle on a snowy map, your gillie suit is white rather than green automatically.

Cool!

I've found the very best snipe map of late is quarry. There's dozens of good snipe spots, so you just go from spot to spot and check out all the other snipe spots within view from the one you're in. There's a few goldmine locations, but generally you can get 1-2 kills per spot before you get knifed or its time to move on. Sniping is a funny game. If you want to do it right you need 3 snipe classes ready to go at all times. 1 with ACOG scope for med-range maps, 1 with thermal and 1 with the full-zoom scope that comes stock on each gun. Use full-zoom for maps where guys can't really hide like Derail and thermal for the camo maps like mansion.

Still waiting and very stoked for ps3 map pack.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#372 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 20 April 2010 - 04:18 PM, said:

I did a cool challenge in my evolution of sniping skills.

I think you get it for 50 one-shot kills

Unlocks the arctic gillie suit, so if yer using a snipe rifle on a snowy map, your gillie suit is white rather than green automatically.

Cool!

I've found the very best snipe map of late is quarry. There's dozens of good snipe spots, so you just go from spot to spot and check out all the other snipe spots within view from the one you're in. There's a few goldmine locations, but generally you can get 1-2 kills per spot before you get knifed or its time to move on. Sniping is a funny game. If you want to do it right you need 3 snipe classes ready to go at all times. 1 with ACOG scope for med-range maps, 1 with thermal and 1 with the full-zoom scope that comes stock on each gun. Use full-zoom for maps where guys can't really hide like Derail and thermal for the camo maps like mansion.

Still waiting and very stoked for ps3 map pack.

I'm actually starting to get really in to the sniping in MW2 now. Just passed the first 50 one shot one kill point and got the white ghilie.

Sniping in Multiplayer FPS games has never really been my thing, all that shaky, recoil, hold your breath, reload action does my head in, but I've done a concious effort to try and figure it out in MW2. The first two sniper riffles I got sucked. First of all I didn't know the good maps properly yet and their recoil bolt action was terrible. So I spent most games getting killed again and again, shooting a lot, missing a lot and getting a handful of kills max. But then I got the third riffle, I think it's called WA2000. Oh my, love at first sight, semi-automatic, low recoil and a big magazine. Only problem is that it is low powered so often it doesn't kill in one shot, but it is still a beauty.

Just got the full metal jackets accessory, so now it's guaranteed lethal in one shot... I hope. Going to be good since I've had problems catching those pesky campers sitting behind walls and window frames. Up until now I've been playing with the therma scope. It really, really helped to find a lot of the "secret" sniping spots I'd been missing.

#373 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Ah, we're in love with the same gun then

Agree the first 2 guns suck total balls. WA2000 is close to the intervention in power and way less shake/recoil/reload time. Now that I upped my aiming skillz with the WA2000, the intervention and Barret 50cal aren't quite so terrible, but still nowhere near as good as the WA2000. I'm pretty stoked to try the last one...hopefully the perfect blend of everything.

FMJ doesn't exactly guarantee one-shots unless you have stopping power turned on. It's damn close though and as long as you hit in the chest/head then you're good. Thing is, time to re-aim after a shot is so short you can usually get 2 shots in regardless.

I'd recommend if you're sniping, due to the ridiculously prolific air support in MW2, that you use cold blooded and level it to pro ASAP. Makes you invisible to all support and thermal, which is totally essential for sniping.

I also find silencers on the snipe rifles completely ruin your advantage in sniping. Stay away from em unless its just to get the HB monitor unlocked.

My personal fave with the WA2000 is the ACOG sight. Big mag and low shake basically turn it into an OP assault rifle when you put the ACOG on it. Really warming up to the thermal too for exactly the same reason you said. Helps find the less-obvious snipey holes.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#374 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

My sniping class was perked out with cold blooded and Ninja but to be honest I'd rather sacrifice my cloak of invisibility for stopping power and steady aim when I'm using the WA2000. As it is, I usually run around a lot any way, my thought is that if I'm slow/obvious enough that the other snipers can pick me out I just need to me more aware.

I also just got the "ranger" double barrelled sawn-off shotgun, oh my, running around with this in Akimbo in place like the Quarry and Airport is almost as much fun as P90 Akimbo. I'm using the marathon and swift feet thing to get speed and endurance and just scrambling about ambushing people with the shotguns, great fun.

#375 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

You guys just wait until you get the M21EBR. Slightly weaker than the WA2000, but it is still a 1shot headshot kill, and it has no recoil. You can put cold blooded and a silencer on it and 2shot anyone in core.

Honestly the .50cal or the Intervention are the best snipers in the game, but to each his own. Just FYI, FMJ does not increase a guns damage, but it increases its damage through walls.

If you guys are enjoying sniping, use Sleight of Hand Pro on your sniper rifles. It makes it much better, I get so used to it then before I get pro back after I prestige I find it annoying to snipe, but I don't camp, even with a sniper rifle.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#376 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

I've just been testing the WA2000 with the FMJ and yeah, it doesn't help with damage against flesh. I'm wondering, does it have an effect against people with Juggernaught? (is Juggernaught actually available as a perk or only a deathstreak?)

I'm sure than if I went back and tried out the first sniper riffles now, I'd probably do better, but for starters the WA2K is very noob friendly.

I'm also having a lot of fun with the tactical insertion. Earlier I got in a sniper duel with a guy on the trainwreck map. He was on top of the low buildings and had obviously dropped a tactical insertion and I had put a tactical insertion behind a train car around the back. First he shot me, I then came back around and shot him before he realised I had the TI. Then while I was reapplying the TI, he spawned and when I came out he shot me again. We then began a duel to see who could kill who first, respawning again and again. He finally got me when I placed the TI so that he could shoot my feet from under the traincar and I didn't have time to reapply the TI.

#377 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Super-Juggs is a deathstreak, commonly called 'pain pill', and you can take like 4x your normal damage for 10 seconds after spawning.

It dosen't do anything against that, no.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#378 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

Apt...put those damn rangers away.

Rangerfags are the grenade spammers of MW2.

I get so tired of seeing them now. Blessedly, Mercenary TDM mode is somehow still relatively free of them.

Fun for a bit, like noob tubing, but after awhile you realize yer just exploiting the game for points and it becomes silly.

Do not agree with Obdigore that the WA2k is worse than the intervention. I've had much more luck with the former for sure. I'm going to revisit the barret soon though, since I only have 2-3 kills on it. Haven't spent much time with it, but doesn't it sacrifice damage for fire rate?

I've been playing a lot with the FAL single-shot rifle. Takes a bit of getting used to and there is definitely no spraying or praying with it...but when you figure it out it becomes a pretty effective medium range snipe rifle. Grouping of shots is really good too, even when fired as quickly as you can pull the trigger.

And I've been thinking of going back to stopping power with the snipes for fun. Once you know the maps its a lot easier to avoid the air support.

Apt, I'd suggest using the colt handgun ASAP for a sniper secondary. Thing rules.

And akimbo you look way cooler than tearing around with dbl rangers.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#379 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

.50 and Intervention are the most damaging snipers in the game.

If you play core, and throw SP on them, they are 1shots to body/head. The only difference I can see is if you prefer a semi-auto or bolt action rifle for your sniper.

PS - handguns are useless. If you use your secondary, use a SPAS12 + Grip and giggle while you run through whole teams at medium-far with your sniper and CQB with your spas.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 20 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

#380 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

Intervention is amazing, especially if you practice enough to get good at quickscoping (meaning you can turn corners and still survive even if you run into people, etc. etc.)

Also, akimbo USPs are amazing. It's a pain in the ass to unlock them, but on xbox you can fire them like an SMG that kills in two shots to the chest. Beautiful. There also seems to be a glitch that makes them commando-esque when you knife with them (though it's rather superfluous).

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users