Malazan Empire: Do I swear too much? - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I swear too much? Will have swearwords, so be advised

Poll: Do I swear too much? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

So, do I?

1. Funk yes (11 votes [20.75%])

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

2. Funk no (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

3. I have no funking idea (3 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

4. I think you use profanity slightly too much but tend to keep it to reasonable limits (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

5. You should swear more, you pussy (14 votes [26.42%])

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

6. You should replace all your swearwords with graphic descriptions of genitalia instead (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

7. I funking well am Dolorous Funking Menhir and I funking think this funking thread is funking stupid, muddyfootster (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Alright, when I have to add a moderator-mentality comment to something, it's a tad over the line.
Gratuitous swearing in the book forums is a no, to be honest. Consider it like we were representing SE on this forum. I personally don't think the book forums should be burdened with profanities. The Inn is perhaps less of an issue, because its the spam board, but still, a thread with every second word being f-this and f-that.
So, while I admit, I swear occasionally, I wont stand for pushing the boundaries in this situation. As someone said, we ain't 4chan, and I, for one, am not letting us become like 4chan.
And seriously, on a boundary-pushing note, look at Terez. To a certain extent she as funny, when she passed that, she simply looked immature and crude.
Do you really want SE to think of us as a bunch of childish crude idiots? He DOES read this board every now and then.
Sincerely,
Lish.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

I am culpable of swearing too much, not in the book forums, but overall in life in general, I don't even realise I do it, and i think thats my problem when I'm posting, I type like I talk for the msot part (poor spelling likely inclusive) and so the fucks and shits slide in without a thought.
Because little offends me or my friends, even my family (bar mother) I have trouble knowing what is considered acceptable by others, as I struggle to see why someone would be offended by something I've said. I'm a firm believer in the sticks and stones philosophy, and think some people take offense to easily (the whole PC scene really pisses me off).
Not sure where I'm going with this thought train, likely nowhere, but I've never been offended by anything Illy has said, for the most part I find it hilarious, but as was thrashed out previously not so long ago, this is a dictactorship and rules is the rules.

#23 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

I remember when swearingwas really not allowed. Then it was allowed but we were expected to self moderate. I encourage everyone to do so, because I tend to enjoy dropping a f-bomb hear or there for emphasis, and I want to be able to do that if i feel like. So the rest of you better not cock it up for me.
Error: Signature not valid

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

Just don't use the really offensive ones, like "golly" and "darn".
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 23 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

Just don't use the really offensive ones, like "golly" and "darn".

Shucks. That's going to be gosh-danged hard.
Error: Signature not valid

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

By golly, it certainly will but we have to try our darned hardest.

Also, don't say c*nt. Women don't like that word. At all.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Attached File  F_bomb.jpg (32.68K)
Number of downloads: 8

#28 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 23 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

So, when Apt decided to be a dick in the DOD forum, I and some others posted some rather harsh insults about him, which Hetan later censored. She posted this:

View PostHetan, on Feb 23 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

And please could members refrain from swearing in this thread?
I realise Apt has stirred you all up, but I would be grateful if you could confine your more excessive comments to pm, particularly if you want to call him out as being female genitalia :D

Now, I have been thinking about this for a while - do I swear too much? On the forums, of course, I know I swear too much in real life. I probably (hah!) get away with far more than other, newer members can without getting savagely beaten with the modstick. Granted, things like using bold and size 7 tags on the word c*nt stretched out to fill a whole page is over the line (it was at Brood, but still) but something like a 'swear less in the book forums but elsewhere is fine' or 'don't use swearwords anymore, please, the publishers are getting disconcerted and lawsuits make me cry' would be useful to hear.

Also this can be a general swearing and swearwords discussion thread if you want. I'm easy.

IFWADFMAIFTTFTIFSM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with swearing.

People take way too much offense from mere words. Pussies. (See, I bet I got some of you really offended right there!)

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

No you didn't. Only an [insert swear word here] would think that.

Edit: I suck at writing. That is all.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

#30 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

First and foremost I'd say that swearing in the book forums should be kept to the absolute minimum. That part of the forum, more than anywhere else, is tied directly to SE and posts should reflect that.

For the rest of the forum, the base rule is that swearing is fine. It has become an important part of many people's vocabulary and has lost a lot of the shock value it perhaps once possessed. Swearing at other members is however not something I would encourage and it is something I've found to be more prevalent now than just six months ago. Sure, swearing at apt hardly makes him crawl up in a corner and cry (as far as I know at any rate) but it can easily be misunderstood by others reading it. The conversations we have on this board will be read by more people than just those few participating and I think you should keep that in mind.

Besides, in my honest opinion, swearing is for people who're unable to express themselves in an intelligent manner. If you swear in every post you make, you sound like a fourteen year old WoW player.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#31 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Why is it that C*nt so offensive? If a guy got called a dick, does he go crying into the bathroom with his boys while a stunned bar stands back in hushed disbelief? NO. Get over yourselves and get back to fighting the really offensive words. Like meekrob.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Meekrob

This post has been edited by Arthur Dayne: 23 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#32 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Feb 23 2009, 02:54 PM, said:

First and foremost I'd say that swearing in the book forums should be kept to the absolute minimum. That part of the forum, more than anywhere else, is tied directly to SE and posts should reflect that.

For the rest of the forum, the base rule is that swearing is fine. It has become an important part of many people's vocabulary and has lost a lot of the shock value it perhaps once possessed. Swearing at other members is however not something I would encourage and it is something I've found to be more prevalent now than just six months ago. Sure, swearing at apt hardly makes him crawl up in a corner and cry (as far as I know at any rate) but it can easily be misunderstood by others reading it. The conversations we have on this board will be read by more people than just those few participating and I think you should keep that in mind.

Besides, in my honest opinion, swearing is for people who're unable to express themselves in an intelligent manner. If you swear in every post you make, you sound like a fourteen year old WoW player.

Swearing in forums is wholly different from swearing in real life. In normal conversation, some people (me included, haha) get used to using swears as a filler word. Hell, half the time I speak and forget what I'm about to say, instead of saying "um" I say "fuckin'". Or maybe for emphasis ("Holy shit, that's fucking ridiculous!"). Generally, though, on a forum it has less of a place...especially if it's in more discussion-oriented forums.

#33 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

I don't know why, but it is, and I'm not a woman so I can't explain. Lots of women who have no problem with swearing abhor that word.

Edit: Also, "fuck" is like the Swiss Army Knife of swears, it can be anything you want it to be: adverb, adjective, exclamation, verb, noun...
Double Edit: Handegg is offensive to all Americans, thus say it at your own sovereignty's peril. :D

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

#34 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostArthur Dayne, on Feb 23 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

Why is it that C*nt so offensive? If a guy got called a dick, does he go crying into the bathroom with his boys while a stunned bar stands back in hushed disbelief? NO. Get over yourselves and get back to fighting the really offensive words. Like meekrob.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Meekrob

The effect of swear words are purely cultural and quite irrational in many ways. Arguing the validity, or the level of offence of a swear word using the actual meaning of the word is quite absurd. Nor does it, when all is said and done, have much to do with this discussion. If a word offends a lot of people then that should be taken into account when you consider using it. Whether you subjectively think it should be considered offensive or not is absolutely irrelevant.

This is by the end of the day a question of being considerate and polite to the other people you share this board with.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 23 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

Also, don't say c*nt. Women don't like that word. At all.

I'll stop saying it when women stop saying "We need to talk."

Also it adds more snap to the phrase 'punch you in the [various words for female genitalia here] I will surgically implant into you'. Since the last part is so long. And overly wordy.

Seriously though, maybe I'm immature, maybe I just hang around with too many lesbians, but I enjoy using it as a swearword. I'll cut down or stop fully if needed to - not that I used it, or swore much on any other board that wasn't the Inn anyway - but it's a traditional English word with a long and proud pedigree. And whorebag is a better insult for an aggravating lady anyway.

@Morgoth: But this was at Apt.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#36 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

I can't believe you went to, "We have to talk." That's low, man. Just low.

Just throwing you a line with the advice on "c*nt." I don't care one way or the other.

#37 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

@Morgoth: But this was at Apt.

But who was phone?

This post has been edited by Arthur Dayne: 23 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#38 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Feb 23 2009, 08:14 PM, said:

I can't believe you went to, "We have to talk." That's low, man. Just low.

Just throwing you a line with the advice on "c*nt." I don't care one way or the other.

Oh, I'm not going to be throwing the word (I refuse to voluntarily asterix it) out all over the place, but the concern is appreciated.

ALL NONE OF IT
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#39 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Why fake where none exists? That'd just make me a fake pussy. Or, empathetic... on the internet. Which is even worse.

#40 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

This is getting silly. You're awesome, I'm awesome, we're all awesome (except for Apt), let's just leave it there.

And yes I am drinking now.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 23 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users