Malazan Empire: Do I swear too much? - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I swear too much? Will have swearwords, so be advised

Poll: Do I swear too much? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

So, do I?

1. Funk yes (11 votes [20.75%])

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

2. Funk no (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

3. I have no funking idea (3 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

4. I think you use profanity slightly too much but tend to keep it to reasonable limits (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

5. You should swear more, you pussy (14 votes [26.42%])

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

6. You should replace all your swearwords with graphic descriptions of genitalia instead (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

7. I funking well am Dolorous Funking Menhir and I funking think this funking thread is funking stupid, muddyfootster (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

So, when Apt decided to be a dick in the DOD forum, I and some others posted some rather harsh insults about him, which Hetan later censored. She posted this:

View PostHetan, on Feb 23 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

And please could members refrain from swearing in this thread?
I realise Apt has stirred you all up, but I would be grateful if you could confine your more excessive comments to pm, particularly if you want to call him out as being female genitalia :D

Now, I have been thinking about this for a while - do I swear too much? On the forums, of course, I know I swear too much in real life. I probably (hah!) get away with far more than other, newer members can without getting savagely beaten with the modstick. Granted, things like using bold and size 7 tags on the word c*nt stretched out to fill a whole page is over the line (it was at Brood, but still) but something like a 'swear less in the book forums but elsewhere is fine' or 'don't use swearwords anymore, please, the publishers are getting disconcerted and lawsuits make me cry' would be useful to hear.

Also this can be a general swearing and swearwords discussion thread if you want. I'm easy.

IFWADFMAIFTTFTIFSM

This post has been edited by Cougar: 23 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#2 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

Use swear words more, but swap every third one for the word "nipple-juice".

Nowt wrong with swearing, it helps emphasise a point. Only words too, I'd rather be called a c*nt than have marbles pushed up my bottom.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 23 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

What the shot? That's funking retarded, you festering puddle of nipple-juice.

Hmm, not bad. Might try it.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 23 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

I think that when spongebob squarepants can have an episode where his language is made "colorful" then by all means swear like a sailor. The purpose of a discussion board is to discuss things without worrying about who gets offended because by definition discussion is bound to offend someone right off the bat. Might as well spread the love to anyone else reading. If the mods have a problem with it they'll take care of it. That's what they get paid for, isn't it. Lol. I don't remember if the terms of the board require us to keep it to a minimum or not. Anyone else remember?

This post has been edited by Arthur Dayne: 23 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#5 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Swearing works fine when it is needed and to make a point, it is excessive use that is bad. Also, you cannot really blame the mods for wanting to keep it clean since it is kind of a official mbotf forum? (or so I think hehe).
I have no problem with swearing, especially when it is creative:)

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#6 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

I don't really know what to make of this thread except to say stop using the word c*nt you pillocks.

It's appropriate to swear somewhat but this thread is just heading for deletion at this rate.
I AM A TWAT

#7 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

I would say you should tone it down a bit. I swear like a sailor at times and often write as I would speak which includes a fair bit of cursing but a little decorum never hurt anyone! And the giant sweary letters thing has almost screwed me over in work a couple of times.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on Feb 23 2009, 04:21 PM, said:

So, when Apt decided to be a dick in the DOD forum, I and some others posted some rather harsh insults about him, which Hetan later censored. She posted this:

View PostHetan, on Feb 23 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

And please could members refrain from swearing in this thread?
I realise Apt has stirred you all up, but I would be grateful if you could confine your more excessive comments to pm, particularly if you want to call him out as being female genitalia :D

Now, I have been thinking about this for a while - do I swear too much? On the forums, of course, I know I swear too much in real life. I probably (hah!) get away with far more than other, newer members can without getting savagely beaten with the modstick. Granted, things like using bold and size 7 tags on the word c*nt stretched out to fill a whole page is over the line (it was at Brood, but still) but something like a 'swear less in the book forums but elsewhere is fine' or 'don't use swearwords anymore, please, the publishers are getting disconcerted and lawsuits make me cry' would be useful to hear.

Also this can be a general swearing and swearwords discussion thread if you want. I'm easy.

IFWADFMAIFTTFTIFSM

You know, Illy, I think that sometimes you... Wait a second!

Apt decided to be a dick in the DOD forum

Apt decided to be a dick in the DOD forum

Apt dick

ADICKPT

Attached File  freaking_out.png (105.83K)
Number of downloads: 9

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

@Mez: Ah, now that's a valid reason. Being the dirty unemployed bum that I am, I forget that some people on here actually work for a living. I shall stop swearing in any size above 2.

@Cougar: Stop being an idiot. If you want to remove all swearing there should be a perfectly valid auto-censor available - you know, the one we pointedly didn't have on the old forum - you can use to save yourself all this effort of going through a thread that warns you of the swearwords within, so the easily offended or people at work won't enter and be offended/lose their jobs, and removing them anyway. Why cause yourself more work when with the click of a button you can simply remove the option?

And what the fuc- OOPS I MEAN FUNK is wrong with the word (SPOILERS, THIS IS A SWEARWORD, DO NOT VIEW)
Spoiler
as opposed to all the others?

#10 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

oh hi guys, whats going on in here?

I'm no sailor but I can see why certain words can be a little to distracting if used ummm inappropiately... to some people

but on the same token the same words are used in the books more or less...

I for one welcome our Funking Chicken cursing baby milk eating overlords.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#11 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

If anyone else had posted it I wouldn't have bothered but I couldn't resist mod hammering the crap out of your thread. What fun would an autocensor be, then I couldn't say you are a whiney wanker who lost at arm-wrestling.

As to the use of c*nt it's not allowed because Hetan says so and that my poultry friend is good enough for me.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 23 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

I AM A TWAT

#12 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Why are they not allowed to use can't? I mean its not great English, but still.
souls are for wimps

#13 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

You know what guys, I'm not a mod and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I think I have been around long enough (and currently have so little life that I am on here a lot) to say this with some conviction. There is a lot of childish behaviour going on here right now, crappy spam levels are increasing and use of our much lauded quality of self-moderation is slipping. I'm not above childish behaviour, but could everyone just grow up a bit? Rules are rules, a code of conduct is a code of conduct. Just live with it and quit pushing the boundaries. What is deemed inappropriate in real life is also inappropriate on the forum. Now I know a lot of us are social retards, but we are also mostly smart, so just man up and quit complaining.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 23 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

#14 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Feb 23 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

You know what guys, I'm not a mod and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I think I have been around long enough (and currently have so little life that I am on here a lot) to say this with some conviction. There is a lot of childish behaviour going on here right now, crappy spam levels are increasing and use of our much lauded quality of self-moderation is slipping. I'm not above childish behaviour, but could everyone just grow up a bit? Rules are rules, a code of conduct is a code of conduct. Just live with it and quit pushing the boundaries. What is deemed inappropriate in real life is also inappropriate on the forum. Now I know a lot of us are social retards, but we are also mostly smart, so just man up and quit complaining.

I second this.

The odd swear word is fine and can serve to highlight a point effectively and quickly, but I see no need for pages of it. But then I'm just a n00b.

#15 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

I think Mezla is right. She also had a point about people having work.
So yes, I agree with what mezla is saying.

Hinter, Stfu, noob :D

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#16 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

I also agree with Mezla. I've had to close more threads and edit more posts in the last couple months than I did in six previous months combined. And I'm an extremely lenient moderator.

The forum is not 4chan or a locker room. Think about what you're posting and how your posts will reflect the tone of the forum and the opinions of fellow forum members.

That said, I still enjoy talking to you people. So yay for that!

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

View PostCougar, on Feb 23 2009, 05:41 PM, said:

If anyone else had posted it I wouldn't have bothered but I couldn't resist mod hammering the crap out of your thread. What fun would an autocensor be, then I couldn't say you are a whiney wanker who lost at arm-wrestling.

As to the use of c*nt it's not allowed because Hetan says so and that my poultry friend is good enough for me.

Oh thank fuck, I was panicking you'd gone power mad. Also stop being so horribly accurate in your insults.

View PostMezla PigDog, on Feb 23 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

This thread is partly an attempt to find out whether I am pushing the boundaries too far, and partly a joky poll. Meh, they can't all be winners.

By the way, man the fuck up is an awesome phrase.

#18 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

I think if you have to wonder if you are pushing the boundaries, then you probably are!

My rant isn't aimed at this thread in particular. It is a general, all-encompassing rant and was ironically very heavily self-moderated because, had it been uttered aloud, it would have full of the swearys.

#19 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

I think you're probably right Mez. A bit more self moderation wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not bothered by swearing really but there is a time and a place for it, and a public forum really isn't the best place. As well as that, the C word is seriously frowned upon most places.

All that said, this thread reminded me of this epic south park clip
South Park - Cartman Swearing

This post has been edited by Binder of Demons: 23 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#20 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

At least gargantuan quivering vagina sounds worse than the word that must not be spoketh or typeth, but can be implyeth.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users