• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

strategy games for us that like games where 1000ands die

#621 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostMacros, on 07 December 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

When I wrap the Parthia campaign who would you recommend playing out next? (I do the short campaigns, not imperial, unless Im playing the Julii, then I play for it all!!)

Julii 4 lyfe!

I once completed a campaign with the Greek Cities. It's hard to start with because you're almost immediately at war with the Scipii and Brutii but it's good fun - the archers are a bit meh and your cavalry is fairly terrible IIRC but my word, once you get Spartan hoplites... They are the best infantry in the game second only to (perhaps) the Urban Cohorts) and it takes an absolute pounding for them to run away in battle. I think it only happened once to me, and I was massively outnumbered and couldnt run anywhere.

The problem then comes that you can only produce them in 2 places - Syracuse and Sparta itself. So the Greek Cities is a good challenging one to play, in the field you get good infantry and you get stone walls so defensively in sieges you are doing quite well (better than the Barbarians at any rate!) So it might be worth trying as them for a bit?

As for my campaign, as it was a reinstalled game I could only play as 1 of the 3 Romania factions so obviously Julii... I have officially completed the game as in I hold the requiredrequired a pint of territories including Rome, but being a greedy Emperor I want everything. I am pushing back into the middle east against Egypt and fighting off the remnants of the Scipii who had conquered far into Turkey. I am not at war with Scythia but I am ready cos I imagine they will decide to attack soon. Armenia is still holding out against Egypt but I think they only have 1 territory left. And Scipii keep sending diplomats to me to ask for a ceasefire but only on the condition that I give them a whole bunch of money and territories. I don't know how they think that these terms would be acceptable but it's amusing letting my assassins practice on them.

So yeah nearly completely finished it. Will I be able to play as Britannia? Can't remember if they are one of the factions you can start with... I'd like to try a campaign with them.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#622 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

I hate elephants and scythed chariots.

They're easy to break but your skirmishers don't count them as an active unit when running amok and so will stand their like morons and let the chariots blunder through them dealing out huge damage.

probably have taken more losses to maddened chariots and elephants than Selucias actual generalship. glad they're wiped out. when I roll up the greeks I'm gonna hit Pontus, because they're more of a challenge at the minute they're fielding a lot of Pontus heavy Cavalry, which can soak up quite a bit of damage and dish out some serious abuse.

Anyone play any total war Arena?

#623 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 December 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 07 December 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

When I wrap the Parthia campaign who would you recommend playing out next? (I do the short campaigns, not imperial, unless Im playing the Julii, then I play for it all!!)

Julii 4 lyfe!

I once completed a campaign with the Greek Cities. It's hard to start with because you're almost immediately at war with the Scipii and Brutii but it's good fun - the archers are a bit meh and your cavalry is fairly terrible IIRC but my word, once you get Spartan hoplites... They are the best infantry in the game second only to (perhaps) the Urban Cohorts) and it takes an absolute pounding for them to run away in battle. I think it only happened once to me, and I was massively outnumbered and couldnt run anywhere.

The problem then comes that you can only produce them in 2 places - Syracuse and Sparta itself. So the Greek Cities is a good challenging one to play, in the field you get good infantry and you get stone walls so defensively in sieges you are doing quite well (better than the Barbarians at any rate!) So it might be worth trying as them for a bit?

As for my campaign, as it was a reinstalled game I could only play as 1 of the 3 Romania factions so obviously Julii... I have officially completed the game as in I hold the requiredrequired a pint of territories including Rome, but being a greedy Emperor I want everything. I am pushing back into the middle east against Egypt and fighting off the remnants of the Scipii who had conquered far into Turkey. I am not at war with Scythia but I am ready cos I imagine they will decide to attack soon. Armenia is still holding out against Egypt but I think they only have 1 territory left. And Scipii keep sending diplomats to me to ask for a ceasefire but only on the condition that I give them a whole bunch of money and territories. I don't know how they think that these terms would be acceptable but it's amusing letting my assassins practice on them.

So yeah nearly completely finished it. Will I be able to play as Britannia? Can't remember if they are one of the factions you can start with... I'd like to try a campaign with them.

In my experience Urban Cohorts only defeat the Spartans if they can somehow flank them. And even then they recover pretty fast. I play a lot of custom battles to tease out unit strengths and weaknesses and I have found that Spartans can hold their own against the Macedonian elite royal spearmen or Seleucid PIkemen even if they are outnumbered. But Greek cavalry is beyond pathetic. Cretan archers are great if you can get them though

#624 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostD, on 28 March 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 13 March 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

I know the majority of you are PC gamers and thats where all the good strategy games are but my PC can barely unmodded R:TW.

DO any of you know of any 360 strategy games?

Not 360, but Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI was released on PS2 and Wii if you had one of those and are into beautiful, slow-paced, complex turn-based strategy games. It's probably closest to Shogun 1/2 (which I've never played) except that it doesn't have seperate screens for development and combat - army moving and fighting happens on the same tile map as the cities sit on with no discernible break in provinces.

Other idea: Is the 360 compatible with regular xbox games? There was an xbox game called Kingdom of Fire: [insert subtitle I don't remember] that was a strategy-action-rpg game. Think Dynasty Warriors but you switch back and forth from controlling your character in battle to ordering squads of knights and dragons to move/attack/heal/etc around the battlefield. It's old though, so you'd probably have to get it off ebay or something, unless they made a modern sequel.

Kingdom under fire is the game. Unfortunately both of the good games were for the original xbox. A third game came out for 360 but that was purely a hack n slash.

Very unfortunate.

#625 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

Haven't had.much time to play but I'm really struggling to get a foothold against the Greek cities, don't have the finance to put two killer armies in the field down south and cant free up any men in the north.
Its smashing victory after smashing victory, but the hoplites just keep.coming, cant get them pegged back enough to take Damascus.
Current plan is to get palmyras defending army a bit more exp in the field with my fuckjng legendary faction leader (he's 75, going to die soon, *sob*) then take hatra to the north, its a rebel city. Greeks cant take it cause I'm battering them, I cant take it cause they lay siege to palmyra the second my back is turned.
Getting there.
I hope taking hatra just doesn't leave me with another defensive headache. I think the Greeks have perfected cloning. Armoured fucking hoplites, cant wait until I have them driven into the sea.
Yes I could nip north on into scythia and blitz my 6 remaining requires territories, but that would be a hollow victory. The Greeks and pontians need schooling

#626 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Got a bit of time this morning at work.
Hatra is mine, but my legendary commander is 84, has become a hypocondriact, gone quite insane and as such his command is down to 3, his aide is in his 40s, and is a well respected soldier, ideal replacement given the army he is inheriting has a minimum experience of 2 silver chevrons (quite hard to rack up exp against the Greeks, hoolites take so much punishment the casualties are far lower than smashing up the selucids eastern infantry.

Eta - two turns ago my general was an 8 star commander.
Old people, gah!

This post has been edited by Macros: 11 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

#627 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

I started a new game myself. New install so only Roman options.

Due to overconfidence my medium sized early roman army was caught between two gaulish forces. Without the Roman javelin throw I don't think I would have won.

#628 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostMacros, on 09 December 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Haven't had.much time to play but I'm really struggling to get a foothold against the Greek cities, don't have the finance to put two killer armies in the field down south and cant free up any men in the north.
Its smashing victory after smashing victory, but the hoplites just keep.coming, cant get them pegged back enough to take Damascus.
Current plan is to get palmyras defending army a bit more exp in the field with my fuckjng legendary faction leader (he's 75, going to die soon, *sob*) then take hatra to the north, its a rebel city. Greeks cant take it cause I'm battering them, I cant take it cause they lay siege to palmyra the second my back is turned.
Getting there.
I hope taking hatra just doesn't leave me with another defensive headache. I think the Greeks have perfected cloning. Armoured fucking hoplites, cant wait until I have them driven into the sea.
Yes I could nip north on into scythia and blitz my 6 remaining requires territories, but that would be a hollow victory. The Greeks and pontians need schooling

Its amazing how the AI can sometimes do that. Its armies never seem to die. You chasing down the routers with cavalry?

The worst though is the diplomancy AI. when you get locked in a stalemate like this, even though you have massacred their entire male population you CAN'T get them to agree on a ceasefire or anything like that. They really need to introduce a military pressure algorithm into the diplomacy system. I remember one game I was expanding west into spain, gaul and North africa and I destroyed what must have been 50 greek armies to a man but I could never convince them to stop. Every turn I had to defend three cities in italy from an attack. Repulsed and had to repeat.

#629 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Same same.
Absolutely slaughtering the Greeks on a regular basis, I don't think they've ever beaten me.
Keep demanding I become a protectorate even though Hatra and Palmyra are basically meat grinders for every unit they can muster.
Took sinope and the city south of it from Pontus, which opens up another avenue for the Greeks to throw men at me, there's a full stack pontian army moving to retake one of their cities, I'm going to hammer it then bounce on south and hit the Greeks from the north, hopefully the extra front will give me a route into Damascus

#630 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

Minecraft
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#631 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:00 PM

Scipii: Done!
Egyptians: nearly done!
Only Armenia, Scythia and Parthia left. And Eboracum.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#632 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

i dicked about too long with the greeks, Julii managed to reach their short victory conditions, robbing me of that option. Now I can either restart, or blitz across europe try snatch rome for imperial victory.

yeah I cant see me getting too much more work done today

#633 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostMacros, on 21 December 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

i dicked about too long with the greeks, Julii managed to reach their short victory conditions, robbing me of that option. Now I can either restart, or blitz across europe try snatch rome for imperial victory.

yeah I cant see me getting too much more work done today

Huh. Never occurred to me that the other factions could actually win with you being victorious anyway. I mean if I left it long enough would the Scipii or Brutii eventually attack Rome?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#634 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Tried Rome 2 ATTILA. Forgot how annoying this game can be. If you send 10 units to attack a single unit they will manage to to all blob together. The formation cohesion and collision detection is completely absent.

#635 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

Can't seem to get Rome I to run on Windows 10. Guh.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#636 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

you on disk or through steam?

I steam updated my rome when I changed to W10, have had zero problems

#637 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Steam here. Keeps complaining that I don't have Direct X 9.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#638 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

thinking of getting rome 2 total war. Tell me are the dlc worth it?

#639 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 02 January 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

thinking of getting rome 2 total war. Tell me are the dlc worth it?

The culture packs that offer additional starting factions might be, depending on whether or not you prefer a certain playstyle or have historical favorites you really want to play as. If not and you don't mind buying them seperately later on if you like the game, I'd wait to see whether or not its your cup of tea.
The ones that offer extra campaigns might be worth purchasing, but I didn't play any of those.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#640 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Aww yiss the Egyptian factions is no more! (Sorry Macros)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic