• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Doctor Who.

#1781 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 April 2022 - 08:32 PM

Haven't seen a Doctor who in a while, just saw the UK Easter special and I didn't enjoy it. Felt paper thin, chopping editing and very little character development...

Sad as I was fan of the Eccleston/Tennent/Smith era.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 17 April 2022 - 08:33 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1782 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 April 2022 - 12:30 PM

View PostCyphon, on 17 April 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

Haven't seen a Doctor who in a while, just saw the UK Easter special and I didn't enjoy it. Felt paper thin, chopping editing and very little character development...

I'll go you one better, it was pure trash. I can't even make heads or tails of how much of a hash Chris Chibnall has made of his run as Showrunner/head writer. It's been largely garbage. Makes me feel bad for Jodie as she's done the best with what she was given...but holy hell, it's been awful.

Like we could say that Moffat often went for style over substance, but Chibnall fails at BOTH and the show is miserable as a result.

And he's even trying to Nostalgia-peddle to get people to watch the final ep with Jodie by brining back Tegan (4th Doctor companion) and Ace (7th Doctor companion)...it won't work if Sea Devils was anything to work off of....

View PostCyphon, on 17 April 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

Sad as I was fan of the Eccleston/Tennent/Smith era.

The good news is that the man who made that era what is was is coming back to show-run again after the next special (which is when Chibnall and Jodie both say goodbye to the show). Russell T. Davies takes the show over for the 2023 anniversary special and beyond. I literally cannot wait, because even the mediocre RTD-era episodes were charming and fun, if goofy...and when he was ON...he was REALLY on. Like MIDNIGHT and WATERS OF MARS are two of the best episodes since the show returned in 2005. I have and read his book more than once and the love he bears the show is immense.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 April 2022 - 12:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1783 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 18 April 2022 - 01:07 PM

That is encouraging. It was sad to see it so run down. It was hard to say anything positive about that episode.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1784 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:03 PM

I like Chibnall's run a lot more than QT, even though with reservations, but I haven't even got round to watching this episode yet, it seems so half-hearted.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1785 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:10 PM

They must have totally downplayed it because I was unaware of an Easter episode here in the States. Which isn't exactly a glowing endorsement for putting out something of quality.

#1786 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 08 May 2022 - 12:22 PM

https://twitter.com/...263950661775360

Meet the new Doctor.

#1787 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2022 - 03:49 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 08 May 2022 - 12:22 PM, said:

FANTASTIC choice! He’s really really good in SEX EDUCATION. Can’t wait to see what he does with the role!

Super exciting, and glad they announced it so soon!

Bring on Fourteen!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1788 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 May 2022 - 09:29 AM

I really hope he calls a dalek a detty pig!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1789 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:10 PM

News that David Tennant, Catherine Tate, AND Bernard Cribbins are all back for RTD's 60th Anniversary outing, with the Fourteenth Doctor as well I assume....and the set photos show Jodie's TARDIS, so she's probably in it as well (My kingdom for Jodie's Doctor written by someone competent like RTD!). Cribbins being back is such a blessing. He's bloody 93 year old!

Anyways, here's Tennant in his costume on set (new blue overcoat, but sand shoes and the brown suit are back, and spikey hair).

So confirmation of a multi-doctor 60th!

Attached File  Unknown.jpeg (11.45K)
Number of downloads: 0

#1790 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 June 2022 - 04:00 AM

NPH will be on Doctor Who. How often does a non-British actor appear on Doctor Who? It's pretty rare isn't it? On the upside, I won't need to have the subtitles turned on to understand NPH (unless he goes full Brit accent... when in Rome, right?)

#1791 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 October 2022 - 02:26 AM

HOLY FUCK

#1792 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 October 2022 - 05:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 October 2022 - 02:26 AM, said:

HOLY FUCK

What

#1793 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:47 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 24 October 2022 - 05:11 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 October 2022 - 02:26 AM, said:

HOLY FUCK

What

Yeah QT - a little more detail required please. :huh:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1794 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 October 2022 - 12:22 PM

Presumably it's the return of David Tennant for a limited run prior to the next full time Doctor?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1795 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 October 2022 - 01:04 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 October 2022 - 12:22 PM, said:

Presumably it's the return of David Tennant for a limited run prior to the next full time Doctor?

Tis.

I'll go into spoilers:

Spoiler

#1796 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 October 2022 - 05:31 PM

The episode was a mediocre jumble were the Daleks and the Cybermen were background dressing (mostly) for The Master to go off. Also seemed to be some serious expedient plot decisions in the episode. What was the deal with the giant battery girl? I find myself with this run of Doctor Who coming away more confused than anything else. The Master going off was fun though. Also, where the hell was Ryan? They should have brought 13's full companion team back. The other fan pleasing stuff (like that Tegan and Ace deal and the Doctor cameos) doesn't really resonate with me, as I only begun watching with Capaldi, but I get it. But maybe tighten up the story first. Fan service stuff will land better.

#1797 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:24 PM

Spoiler

On Chibnall's run overall I do feel kind of bad for him coz I think he mostly had good ideas- setting aside the Timeless Child, which I didn't love, also didn't hate like many, but I do get why it was hated- but he just couldn't keep control or lean into the consequences of what he was doing. Like, Flux had some great concepts in but it didn't follow through on many and then it just left the universe destroyed and... hasn't mentioned it since. Or the first season's problem with repeatedly accidentally imparting dreadful moral lessons because he didn't think it through when he was tying plots up. Nor did he have the ability like I say to craft great scenes or build continuing hype to keep a wider fanbase interested. I mean, even I was dipping at points. I liked it overall a lot more than some did, but it didn't seem to have any cohesive drive behind it.

I did think his run was really cool visually, he managed to wrangle the budget really well there, but I'm really keen to see what RTD can do without those BBC restrictions.

#1798 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:36 PM

What makes me always laugh is that he was once on a panel (I think during Sly's run as 7) of younger people who were discussing what they felt was wrong with Doctor Who at that point, and he was ripping on the writing...so like fast forward 30 years and he's running it and the wiring is shit. LOL. Will never not make me laugh.

#1799 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:49 PM

RTD has confirmed that the Christmas Specials are coming back.

They never should have left, and Chibnall was main-charactering HARD when he shifted to New Years....

Oh, ad in case anyone missed it.

Millie Gibson was chosen to play Ncuti Gatwa's (Fiftheenth?) Doctor's companion Ruby Sunday (GREAT DW name!)....also the first companion I know from another show beforehand (Corrie!)

Here they are looking great. I can't wait to see Ncuti's Doctor in action, I think he was a great choice.

Attached File  Ncuti-Gatwa-Millie-Gibson-doctor-who.jpeg (55.51K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 December 2022 - 12:53 PM

#1800 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 July 2023 - 03:21 PM

I don't have anything new to add really, aside from the fact that RTD confirmed that Season 14, starring Ncuti Gatwa & Millie Gibson has wrapped shooting now.

But can I say how damned excited I am that we get three new Tennant/Donna eps for the 60th and a full new season under my fave DW show runner/writer? SO VERY EXCITED!

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users