• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29581 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it - I'm in neither industry nor children orientated so I never feel able to do anything other than listen and do generic tea and sympathy, I'm certainly not equipped with useful advice! I think it's that longer wait because of the second child that's worrying the solicitor.

I'm glad there are some positives with your employer though, even if none of them solve the extenral profile issue. Relative luck aside, you have my best wishes regardless :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29582 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:10 PM

Why do companies offer voluntary paid off? Am I evil if I would just prefer more PTO?

What benefit does the company have in allowing employees to take time off but make them have to be volunteering at a pet shelter, soup kitchen etc. Does the company get to partiallly write off the PTO as charity? If your pasxsioante about volunteering you can use your PTO and if you are a family man you can spend it with family or if the ebach is your thing do that.

Random thought that perplexes me and no where better to ask it

#29583 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:40 PM

View PostCause, on 16 March 2023 - 06:10 PM, said:

Why do companies offer voluntary paid off? Am I evil if I would just prefer more PTO?

What benefit does the company have in allowing employees to take time off but make them have to be volunteering at a pet shelter, soup kitchen etc. Does the company get to partiallly write off the PTO as charity? If your pasxsioante about volunteering you can use your PTO and if you are a family man you can spend it with family or if the ebach is your thing do that.

Random thought that perplexes me and no where better to ask it

1. To pretend they're not evil (and sometimes to vie for lucrative government contracts or allowances...).

Pretty sure I read an article about 'charitable "volunteer" work' by one of the major investment banks in New York being nothing more than a photo-op and socializing. Took a photo of them 'doing the work' but then they didn't do the work.

But if it's any consolation:

#TeamSkynet

2. To remind their workers of how terrible it can be to be poor.

#29584 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:46 PM

I always felt that it was to encourage volunteer work by stating that “hey, it’s not going to cost you your vacation days to perform charity”
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29585 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:52 PM

Lance Reddick died, dang :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29586 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

I need new/better friends (only being half serious here). Been itching to go out to live shows and stuff again after three years and no one wants to come along, even the people who have been just as eager as me the whole time. It's just.. going alone feels weird, more because I'm not exactly a social butterfly and also awfully awkward rather than that I don't like going to places alone. Is it weird to go alone? Am I stupid? I can't anymore with sitting at home alone, I need me some good al' loud, ear-bashing live metal gig.

I had to ditch my one friend who could be relied upon to come along to gigs because she turned out to be antivaxx und just kept getting crazier.

I guess I just feel super lonely because the last couple shows I went to I had to go alone and I feel like a loser, lol.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#29587 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

Regarding Lance Reddick: Fuck!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 17 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

#29588 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 March 2023 - 04:27 PM

Interviews seem to be going well, but they just keep dragging on and on. So many stages.

I think I may get one offer this week, which I am excited for. Was half expecting to get the offer today but instead they said they will make a decision in the next few days and asked me if I have a travel visa to visit them for training if I got the job. This sounds good but also left me kind of worried. I mean I guess they were not gonna meet over the weekend to make a decision so I may have just been expecting too much. However when HR said to me on Friday after a quick meeting they organized for me to meet the one person who missed the panel interview that she would call me next week I may have gotten a little too overconfident.

#29589 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:19 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 March 2023 - 08:52 PM, said:

Lance Reddick died, dang :(

Man, this stings. I've always been fond of his acting work but only really paid attention to his voice acting career in 2022 carrying over into this year. He was an amazing talent. MHSRIP
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#29590 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:33 AM

Lance Reddicks death has hit me like a tonne of bricks. As a Destiny player since D1, Zavala has been in my ear giving me missions, hope, and glory for a decade. Losing him has been exceptionally heartbreaking…the outpouring of fhe gaming community at large on social media has made me weep.

I’m on vacation now, but am home in two days. I’ll do my vigil at the Tower when I get home.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29591 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:49 PM

I hate how much cognitive energy I expend in the USA on simple tasks. Everything is more complicated than it needs to be. I have a 25 dollar credit on Uber eats which I was going to use to get sushi from a nearby place I know well. It struck me that the price was way too high. So I double check and sure enough.

Restuarant price - 25.95
Grubhub - N/A
Doordash - 28.55
Uber Eats - 34.55 (Outrageous)

Than there are service fees, delivery fees and and on doordash a regulatory response fee (Philadelphia capped service fees so in response Doordash just subverted the intent of the law and added a new kind of fee). You can sign up for uber One and get free delviery fees and ten percent off your order. However on Doordash the delviery fee is 50c but the service fee is 15% (5 dollars in this case) and even with ten percent off the mark up still leaves it more expensive than it normally costs. This is theft.

The same brand/size of Milk I buy ranges at 3.98 dollars at Walmart to 6.20 at CVS to even higher at the local grocery store.

Prices were different in South Africa sure, but 0.50 to 1.50 kind of range which in American dollar terms means within 10c American. Now sometimes for the sake of convenience its worth just buyign what you need when you need it but its like they go out of the way to create price confusion. The Uber eats thing in particular strikes me as despicable.

Now I dont always do this much math on every purcahse its just in this case especially I could see straight away this was crazy. However the feeling I have in general in the USA is always one of am I being cheated by this delivery app, would this be cheaper somewehere else, would it be cheaper to buy this online?

#29592 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:40 AM

View PostCause, on 21 March 2023 - 11:49 PM, said:

I hate how much cognitive energy I expend in the USA on simple tasks. Everything is more complicated than it needs to be. I have a 25 dollar credit on Uber eats which I was going to use to get sushi from a nearby place I know well. It struck me that the price was way too high. So I double check and sure enough.

Restuarant price - 25.95
Grubhub - N/A
Doordash - 28.55
Uber Eats - 34.55 (Outrageous)

Than there are service fees, delivery fees and and on doordash a regulatory response fee (Philadelphia capped service fees so in response Doordash just subverted the intent of the law and added a new kind of fee). You can sign up for uber One and get free delviery fees and ten percent off your order. However on Doordash the delviery fee is 50c but the service fee is 15% (5 dollars in this case) and even with ten percent off the mark up still leaves it more expensive than it normally costs. This is theft.

The same brand/size of Milk I buy ranges at 3.98 dollars at Walmart to 6.20 at CVS to even higher at the local grocery store.

Prices were different in South Africa sure, but 0.50 to 1.50 kind of range which in American dollar terms means within 10c American. Now sometimes for the sake of convenience its worth just buyign what you need when you need it but its like they go out of the way to create price confusion. The Uber eats thing in particular strikes me as despicable.

Now I dont always do this much math on every purcahse its just in this case especially I could see straight away this was crazy. However the feeling I have in general in the USA is always one of am I being cheated by this delivery app, would this be cheaper somewehere else, would it be cheaper to buy this online?

Not unique to the US I'm afraid, what you describe sounds pretty normal, everyday shit to me as well. Mind you, what do you get for 25.95 in New York?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29593 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:21 PM

There's a lot of corporations we shouldn't support if only because of the way they gouge customers and fuck over their workers among other things. Uber and Amazon are up near the top of that list.

Actually, wasn't it only a couple of years ago that Google quietly took away all references to their previously "informal" motto "Don't be evil"? I reckon they just removed the "Don't".

I think the challenge is to find a company with at least a medium profile that ISN'T evil. Can anyone also name a major multinational or individual who became that rich without being at least extremely morally and ethically shady?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29594 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:40 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 March 2023 - 12:21 PM, said:

There's a lot of corporations we shouldn't support if only because of the way they gouge customers and fuck over their workers among other things. Uber and Amazon are up near the top of that list.

Actually, wasn't it only a couple of years ago that Google quietly took away all references to their previously "informal" motto "Don't be evil"? I reckon they just removed the "Don't".

I think the challenge is to find a company with at least a medium profile that ISN'T evil. Can anyone also name a major multinational or individual who became that rich without being at least extremely morally and ethically shady?

Admittedly I have done no research whatsoever but nothing too shady springs to mind when I think of Microsoft but no doubt many of you can prove me very wrong about that - Bill Gates has done a lot of good AFAIK though.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29595 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:10 PM

Hold on, Tiste. The Google "Don't be evil" was a joke slogan that took off because it was directly referring to Microsoft being evil as hell in the 90s. Everyone in tech knew exactly what Google was referring to when they started saying that.

Google turning into a bunch of not quite as evil people was likely predictable, yet there was a chance for a bit of being better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29596 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 March 2023 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 22 March 2023 - 12:21 PM, said:

Admittedly I have done no research whatsoever but nothing too shady springs to mind when I think of Microsoft but no doubt many of you can prove me very wrong about that - Bill Gates has done a lot of good AFAIK though.

For a start, you can check out how Netscape died.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29597 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:35 PM

Here's some YouTube nerd's documentary about that:

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29598 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:52 PM

You all surprised me. I was expecting the links to Epstein angle.

#29599 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:43 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 March 2023 - 01:10 PM, said:

Hold on, Tiste. The Google "Don't be evil" was a joke slogan that took off because it was directly referring to Microsoft being evil as hell in the 90s. Everyone in tech knew exactly what Google was referring to when they started saying that.

Google turning into a bunch of not quite as evil people was likely predictable, yet there was a chance for a bit of being better.

I knew I could rely on this place hah. I was quite open with admitting I knew nothing about it so thanks for pointing me a way out of my ignorance :) what exactly did they do in the 90s or is that answered by Worry's video?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29600 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 March 2023 - 03:43 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 22 March 2023 - 01:10 PM, said:

I knew I could rely on this place hah. I was quite open with admitting I knew nothing about it so thanks for pointing me a way out of my ignorance :) what exactly did they do in the 90s or is that answered by Worry's video?

There was that whole thing where MS Word would randomly replace text in innocuous word documents with characters that if subject to certain font changes would summon a fifth iteration eye/brain/testicular parasite swarm that would linger for as long as six minutes. It caused the 1988 tv writers strike as well as that thing in Guatemala with the penguins.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users