• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27081 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

What others have said, in fact use the existing job offer as leverage for a better salary. From my experience it's not uncommon for people to accept a job and move on shortly after because a better offer came through. People at the company who hired you might have sour grapes, but I doubt it would seriously impact you. Just don't put them on your CV for future job applications.

#27082 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

Might be tricky since the other better jobs interview process is intense. Assignments and practice problems. Also won’t be able to schedule interviews during work hours.

#27083 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:07 PM

Two popular authors i genuinely enjoy are throwing twitterknives at each other.

Fnck.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27084 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

Ugh as if 2020 wasn't bad enough, the scummy bin dippers just won the league.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27085 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:41 AM

I’m starting to find it disturbing how casually everyone hear refers to everyone else as a nono-word. I mean it’s not like I didn’t know about it, it’s in some Hollywood movies but it’s so ubiquitous. Not sure why it bothers me to so much either, I mean it’s basically a swear word so it’s uncouth to drop it casually in public I guess but it’s not like I never swear. It’s also not something that gets used in South Africa so not like I find it especially powerful but I guess the South African equivalent word is a word you would never call someone unless you were planning to start a fight.

So I know their is the idea of it’s reclaiming the word and taking away it power or whatever but that strikes me as ridiculous because I know they don’t want a white person to use the word. I also once heard a stand up by Chris rock which was basically there are Black people and their are nono-word and they are not the same thing. So it still has a negative connotation.

Today I heard my neighbor repeatedly use it to call his friend on the phone. The staff at the dollar general kept using it to referrto her boyfriend in conversation and the manager has used it to insult people she wants out the store.

Perhaps I find it especially troubling since I wouldn’t expect staff at work to swear so I expect them not to use this word either.

#27086 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:21 AM

I caution you that you're not supposed to use it. It's their generational trauma and their way of dealing with it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27087 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

:rolleyes: Either a word is fit for everyone to use, or no-one. Segregating language leads to segregating people, not bringing them together.

I'm happy to never hear it again.

End of.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27088 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

This fills me with melancholy and profound introspection.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ez8b2VHjVB0

#27089 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 June 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

:rolleyes: Either a word is fit for everyone to use, or no-one. Segregating language leads to segregating people, not bringing them together.

End of.

People that have uninformed opinions on things they don't care to actually understand is messing with my grove.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27090 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 June 2020 - 01:21 AM, said:

I caution you that you're not supposed to use it. It's their generational trauma and their way of dealing with it.

I would never call someone that word but again I find it more than odd that the word is so controversial, so divisive, so laoded that I cant even use the word on the forum apparently in an informative sense but I hear it being bandied about in Brooklyn the same way I would hear people use the word bro in South Africa. Either the word is the equivalent of an atomic bomb or its not. Again its not that I never swear but I wouldnt drop the f-bomb infront of kids, at work and def not at customers.

#27091 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

View PostCause, on 26 June 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 26 June 2020 - 01:21 AM, said:

I would never call someone that word but again I find it more than odd that the word is so controversial, so divisive, so laoded that I cant even use the word on the forum apparently in an informative sense but I hear it being bandied about in Brooklyn the same way I would hear people use the word bro in South Africa. Either the word is the equivalent of an atomic bomb or its not. Again its not that I never swear but I wouldnt drop the f-bomb infront of kids, at work and def not at customers.

The meaning of words can change based on who is saying it and who it is being said to. For instance, if you call your friend a dumbass while joking around, as opposed to calling a random person a dumbass for rear-ending your car - its the same thing, just without the generational baggage.

And to be clear, that word said with a hard R means a very different thing than the word said without an R at all.

I'd also like to point out that many of these people's parents and grandparents lived through the Jim Crowe era, that many of them have generational memories of being actual slaves, and that this exact same discussion happens in that community of PoC pretty regularly.

The simple answer is: because of history, that word has a different meaning when said by a white person.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27092 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostObdigore, on 26 June 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 26 June 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

End of.

People that have opinions that aren't the same as mine is messing with my groove.

FTFY
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27093 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

Stressful day. Might be drunk. Feeling very good, albeit, mostly because I am trying to avoid the depressing fact my wife is going to trial because her ex is a dipshit and wants more money and the fact she is not having a good day and is off. Feel numb. Very nice. I like this methodology.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27094 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:05 PM

And buzz killed by wife. Sigh. Just want to sleep now. Another good escape plan for the day.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#27095 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:15 PM

So I got a MacBook Pro as a work computer. Please tell me I’m not alone in finding trackpads impossible to use? Gonna see if I can get a mouse and monitor from work too.

#27096 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 July 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

Ugh it’s to damn early in my day to start sexting dammit. I just wanna eat my cereal before it gets soggy.

I think I read that differently to how you meant it. Hopefully..

Just had weird visual disturbances at work - kind of moving squirly blind spot that obscured anything I looked directly at. Then it spread out to sort of rainbow aurora on the periphery. Never had a migraine before, if this what it looks like? Being over cautious, my anaesthetic friends sent me down to a + e, but it sort of cleared up while I was waiting to be seen. Just got a bit of a headache now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27097 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

View PostTraveller, on 01 July 2020 - 06:45 PM, said:

Just had weird visual disturbances at work - kind of moving squirly blind spot that obscured anything I looked directly at. Then it spread out to sort of rainbow aurora on the periphery. Never had a migraine before, if this what it looks like? Being over cautious, my anaesthetic friends sent me down to a + e, but it sort of cleared up while I was waiting to be seen. Just got a bit of a headache now.

Yeah that's probably a migraine. I suffer with them but only mildly. My sister has ones severe enough to have temporary stroke symptoms. I go years without and then suffer a few close together. Always stress related. I've had the aura and no pain quite a few times. It will probably pass if you get a good nights sleep. You may not have another for years or ever. I find yoga stretches for my shoulders and neck really help even if I don't think I'm tense, I usually am. I think it increases the blood flow or something.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27098 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 July 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

Ugh it’s to damn early in my day to start sexting dammit. I just wanna eat my cereal before it gets soggy.

Getting some Ubala Pung vibes starting here BK!
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27099 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

Just had weird visual disturbances at work - kind of moving squirly blind spot that obscured anything I looked directly at. Then it spread out to sort of rainbow aurora on the periphery. ...

Sub-corneal shoggoth infestation.
Stay calm, locate your nearest industrial incinerator.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27100 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 July 2020 - 09:09 PM, said:

Yeah that's probably a migraine. I suffer with them but only mildly. My sister has ones severe enough to have temporary stroke symptoms. I go years without and then suffer a few close together. Always stress related. I've had the aura and no pain quite a few times. It will probably pass if you get a good nights sleep. You may not have another for years or ever. I find yoga stretches for my shoulders and neck really help even if I don't think I'm tense, I usually am. I think it increases the blood flow or something.

I was yawning enough when I got home to make my jaw ache. Had a slight headache through the night but it's nothing special, hopefully it was nothing bad. Having an eye appt tomorrow just in case.

Just before it started I was at that point where I was so sleepy that had I been at home I would have dropped off in a second and had a 15 minute snooze. As it was, had yet another patient on the way. I had a green tea to perk me up a bit; I generally survive on coffee but I didnt want another one of those.

I'm at home today schooling the kids, will aim to rehydrate myself properly at least.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users