• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#26781 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

...and your group is ruining his magnus opus! Just imagine if SE and ICE's friends would have said: "This campaign business, screw that, we want to keep drinking Falaran brandy and throw cakes at Kruppe to see when he bursts", where would we and this lovely forum have been now? Well? Well??? So selfish. Clearly the man is a misunderstood genius and you've just lost your chance to be part of history's greatest fantasy epic in early bloom. Cut at the stem, withered before it blossomed, a grand tale for the ages smothered in its crib.

Unlikely though, to be fair.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#26782 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

View PostGorefest, on 25 February 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

...and your group is ruining his magnus opus! Just imagine if SE and ICE's friends would have said: "This campaign business, screw that, we want to keep drinking Falaran brandy and throw cakes at Kruppe to see when he bursts", where would we and this lovely forum have been now? Well? Well??? So selfish. Clearly the man is a misunderstood genius and you've just lost your chance to be part of history's greatest fantasy epic in early bloom. Cut at the stem, withered before it blossomed, a grand tale for the ages smothered in its crib.

Unlikely though, to be fair.

In fairness I would read a story where people get drunk and throw food at a fat guy...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26783 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

In high school me and group of friends started a campaign with an super serious DM. We didn't have a DM, so we contacted one through a local comic book store where you could use a message board to contact players and DMs looking to start up a party and campaign. Anyway, this DM was way super serious and we just liked to have fun and a few laughs. It wasn't like we were complete bufoons, having a go at him or anything. We were playing well and serious enough, we were just being organic about how we interacted with one another and such (which is kind of the point, yeah?). Anyway this DM got super annoyed with us though. He really got pissed when a buddy rolled to put a wolf into a full-nelson hold and he was successful. We erupted in uproarious laughter and that sent daggers of searing anger from the DM's eyes at us. Suffice it to say, that was the last time he DM'd for us. Which worked out just fine because we found another DM advertising on the message board who got us and wasn't so serious and we had a solid three months of playing with him running the campaign. He was older and in the Army and was transferred to another base, but he was a great guy and a lot of fun to play with.

#26784 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Wolf In a Full Nelson.

Band name, called it!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#26785 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 February 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

In fairness I would read a story where people get drunk and throw food at a fat guy...

Okay, when you formulate it like that I suddenly feel quite bad. Apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#26786 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

It's damn near impossible to find any apartment I can afford. Everything that even looks barely affordable turns out to be a scam.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#26787 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:46 PM

View PostGorefest, on 25 February 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 February 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

Okay, when you formulate it like that I suddenly feel quite bad. Apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone!

Hah I think you're good I thought it was a funny example. I can imagine Kruppe's monologue in between shoving the offending items in his mouth!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26788 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

Just found out that unsung hero Larry Tesler has died. It's the small things that have impact. Where would we be without his innovations? As you're working away, employing his innovations, take a small moment to reflect and pay him honorable thanks.
Posted Image

#26789 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

For a moment there I thought you were sincere, but in retrospect I bet you just copy-pasted that.

#26790 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:47 AM

I am sad!

I have been eating a lot of burger king lately. The app has a coupon for two jnr whoppes, 2 cokes, 2 small chips for 5 dollars. I eat half for dinner and take half home for lunch tomorrow. Seemed a great price. I had a thought that it was odd that you can use it again and again. Than they mailed out print coupons which are worse than the coupons on the app and I owndered to myself why anyone would use the print. Maybe old people?

Well I guess I jinxed myself because they updated the app and you now have to sign in to redeem coupons.

#26791 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:37 AM

View PostCause, on 26 February 2020 - 12:47 AM, said:

I am sad!

I have been eating a lot of burger king lately. The app has a coupon for two jnr whoppes, 2 cokes, 2 small chips for 5 dollars. I eat half for dinner and take half home for lunch tomorrow. Seemed a great price. I had a thought that it was odd that you can use it again and again. Than they mailed out print coupons which are worse than the coupons on the app and I owndered to myself why anyone would use the print. Maybe old people?

Well I guess I jinxed myself because they updated the app and you now have to sign in to redeem coupons.

They are called "freedom fries", not chips. Gotta get on board with the lingo if you're gonna embrace your true baddass, truck nutz swinging, gun toting, 'murica! dreamz.

#26792 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:32 AM

BK you really out my problems into perspective. Hope your family is okay.

@Malankazooi, I’ll go 90% full American, you can never go full American

#26793 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:53 AM

Brooklyn depresses me sometimes:

30 min in a Burger King for dinner

1) father with his child sneaking off to the corner to down little bottles of vodka

2) woman begging for change for food for entire 30 min. Finally goes to the counter, I see her pull out a giant wad of cash and she orders coffee and nothing else. Proceeds to clean her ears out with a pick

3) women theee tables over talking about someone who just got out of prison loud enough that I know the whole story.

#26794 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:50 AM

When no one can see you, peek into the restroom (men's or women's). It could either cheer you up or, more likely, make you even more depressed, but you'll have quite the story to tell.

Also, spending free days in Burger King is in and of itself depressing. Be the change you want to see. Or find the change you want for two single cheeseburgers behind your couch cushion and live it up. Fuck, I don't know what I'm saying, you do you and live what you think is your best life, I guess.

#26795 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

View PostCause, on 28 February 2020 - 12:53 AM, said:

Brooklyn depresses me sometimes:

30 min in a Burger King for dinner

1) father with his child sneaking off to the corner to down little bottles of vodka

2) woman begging for change for food for entire 30 min. Finally goes to the counter, I see her pull out a giant wad of cash and she orders coffee and nothing else. Proceeds to clean her ears out with a pick

3) women theee tables over talking about someone who just got out of prison loud enough that I know the whole story.

Welcome to city life in the West, Cause. It's got to be cheaper and healthier to learn batch cooking.

I've got coronavirus*.

*I haven't got coronavirus. I have nasty cough but what if people think I have coronavirus?! Even I had to check and I know where I've been.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#26796 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 25 February 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Wolf In a Full Nelson.

Band name, called it!

Sorry, we are Balgurra. Because we sound like an angry demon monkey punching shit.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26797 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

View PostPuck, on 25 February 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

Thanks for the input, everyone! :thumbsup:

All I can say is that I agree with everything you guys say. It's a pity, really, there's so much potential (I mean, the battle map layout was actually pretty darn great and challenging, and there's some really in-depth worldbuilding so far), but he seems to have some mental barrier that prevents him from understanding.. how do I put it... the human aspects of being a DM?

He's got the theory down, but even after both our regular DM and me (I haven't DMed for a while now but I do have a couple years of DMing experience under my belt as well and used to get very positive feedback, so can't have been horrible at it) have had heart-to-heart DMing talks with him, and have both thought "Ha, I think he got it!", only to be disappointed the next session.

It's like he's got a plan of this amazing campaign and shit, but either cannot adjust the situations AT ALL or gets too lost in details of his own plan he misses the need to adjust to the situations? I really don't get it, even after talking about it at length. I've also reminded him that in our regular campaign, some of our best sessions have been those where we barely got any plot done while roleplaying our characters getting drunk and nosing around in the private matters of party members, which in turn made them more willing to defend each other. As far as most people in the group are concerned, we're doing this to have a good time and socialize/stay in touch. This guy is the "worldbuilder"-type, if you know what I mean. Maybe that's the issue and he wnats to show off his "amazing" worldbuilding and everyone else is like "but I wanna have fun!". Can't really talk to him about this aspect of the issue as he gets defensive right away *sigh*

But I'm also not willing to push it further. We've agreed to let it rest until the next session in this campaign and see how it goes. Maybe it's just a matter of differing playing styles and expectations. We are as a group most definitely not focused on the details, we're very "broad strokes, comedy, roleplay and also some combat". It's important that everyone enjoys the game, and not every DMing style will suit every player. Maybe he's just unlucky and other players would suit him better. We will see.

Must be something in the air. Last night my D&D group descended into full on anarchy.

We've got a couple of chronic rule checkers and the worst one of the two was on a particularly bad "I'm smarter than the DM" stretch (I don't think it's intentional but he can't let it go when he thinks he's found an inconsistency). It proved to be the last straw on this front for three or four of the group and it's now become a clusterfuck of everyone airing what's annoying them.

Hopefully when the dust settles it'll have sorted things out to everyone's satisfaction, but then again, how is it this difficult to get a bunch of adults to just respect the person who's putting a lot of time and effort into running the game for you? Cretins.

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#26798 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

.....my regular game is tomorrow. This has BETTER not be an indication of things to come! XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#26799 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

View PostSilencer, on 28 February 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

.....my regular game is tomorrow. This has BETTER not be an indication of things to come! XD

It is
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26800 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 28 February 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 28 February 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

It is

Bite your tongue sir!

The full on assault of the cursed castle and grounds next session will go flawlessly!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 1531 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users