• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#26561 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 15 November 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Oh god. We are applying for schools for my son to start next September. It's awful - basically I want him to go to the school 5 minutes down the road from where we live. It's an average school; not bad but not amazing. I mainly want him to go there for logistical reasons and because it's an alright school. There are better ones in the area but they will be a pain to get to each morning and chances are we won't get a place anyway as we have this school closer. If you ask advice from people it is just a minefield depending on their social class and political persuasion! Can someone with kids in primary school in the UK just tell me it will be ok, please?!

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 17 November 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

Mezla I’m not in the uk but I feel your pain. No matter what choice you go with, if you’re anything like me you will still beat yourself up about maybe making the wrong choice for the wrong reasons. Just remember that the educational culture at home is a huge part of their success, even if it isn’t the best school you will make sure kiddo does well.

Not in the UK obviously, but in Canada, school "ratings" are bullshit anyways....everyone talks about them, and they are the metric which all pre and primary schools are measured by....but I found out they are coached bullshit that have to do with one test, administered to select 3rd grade classes each year, and those select classes are hard-coached by their teachers at the behest of the principle to get those tests having high marks across the board to make the school look good....and the rest of the school grades and classes are not remotely indicative of that intense testing period/class.

As such, the best advice we ever got was to make sure that our kid likes their individual teacher...and that the school itself mattered much less than the teacher who spent the most time with your child. If your kids teacher is awesome, your kid will flourish as a result.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26562 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:12 PM

Brain melting...

Significantly under-estimated how long this work thing would take me this morning. Instead of finishing around 2ish, finished 4 20ish

Got to the office just around 5PM, because I planned to get something done this afternoon, and can't reschedule. So it's gonna be a real late night at the office (like 8ish late). Guessing I'll get home round 1030ish.

It doesn't happen often, but times like these, I'm not very fond of my life.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#26563 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostTraveller, on 17 November 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Oh god. We are applying for schools for my son to start next September. It's awful - basically I want him to go to the school 5 minutes down the road from where we live. It's an average school; not bad but not amazing. I mainly want him to go there for logistical reasons and because it's an alright school. There are better ones in the area but they will be a pain to get to each morning and chances are we won't get a place anyway as we have this school closer. If you ask advice from people it is just a minefield depending on their social class and political persuasion! Can someone with kids in primary school in the UK just tell me it will be ok, please?!

It will be fine! We sent ours to the village school; it's a 5 minute walk. It's a bit of a churchy school, but it's a nice size and the teachers seem keen and they enjoy going there. A few parents move their kids from school to school if they don't think they're doing well, or if they don't get on with the teachers, but at their age? I can't see that there would be a lot of difference. They all have the same curriculum.
There's a busier, slightly bigger school across town a bit where some have moved to, but it seems to be more of a problem with the parents - they give their kids a couple of years, and if the school says they're not doing as well as the parents think they should, they blame the school and take them out.

Have a look, go and see what you think, and make your mind up. Being near is a HUGE bonus when you've got work and it's raining and you've got stuff to get ready; or there's after school clubs, parents evenings, or even if they leave their reading book or lunch at home and you want to drop it in when you find it.

Now why can't my friends and family give such reassuring advice? I went to visit the "better" school yesterday and it was a real eye opener. The head teacher insists that little boys wear ties even at 4 years old. They make the older kids show the parents round and the girl showing me was talking about her SATs exams due next May and already doing extra maths lessons. So that's how you get an Ofsted Outstanding rating! Much more content with the local "Good" school now. As RLY says it is the culture at home that counts but that is equally terrifying because the culture in my house is one of exhaustedly trying to keep our heads above water rather than nurturing future successful and balanced human beings.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#26564 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 November 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 17 November 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

It will be fine! We sent ours to the village school; it's a 5 minute walk. It's a bit of a churchy school, but it's a nice size and the teachers seem keen and they enjoy going there. A few parents move their kids from school to school if they don't think they're doing well, or if they don't get on with the teachers, but at their age? I can't see that there would be a lot of difference. They all have the same curriculum.
There's a busier, slightly bigger school across town a bit where some have moved to, but it seems to be more of a problem with the parents - they give their kids a couple of years, and if the school says they're not doing as well as the parents think they should, they blame the school and take them out.

Have a look, go and see what you think, and make your mind up. Being near is a HUGE bonus when you've got work and it's raining and you've got stuff to get ready; or there's after school clubs, parents evenings, or even if they leave their reading book or lunch at home and you want to drop it in when you find it.

Now why can't my friends and family give such reassuring advice? I went to visit the "better" school yesterday and it was a real eye opener. The head teacher insists that little boys wear ties even at 4 years old. They make the older kids show the parents round and the girl showing me was talking about her SATs exams due next May and already doing extra maths lessons. So that's how you get an Ofsted Outstanding rating! Much more content with the local "Good" school now. As RLY says it is the culture at home that counts but that is equally terrifying because the culture in my house is one of exhaustedly trying to keep our heads above water rather than nurturing future successful and balanced human beings.

Yeah just wait! Our dining room table, unless it's like Christmas or Easter, is constantly covered in homework, permission slips, spellings, reading records, insulting drawings... it's kind of relentless. On a Monday morning I sort out which days they want packed lunches; do their lunch money for the week, make their lunches, sort their pe kits, drinks, breakfast, uniforms and any homework that has to go back. They go into school at 8.50, we can leave the house at 8.45 and they'll be on time.

Believe me, that extra time in the morning is precious! (Especially when your daughter wants porridge or an omelette for breakfast, and new potatoes in her lunchbox).

I'm actually way more organised now, I take photos of all their permission forms and have a folder on my phone to double check everything.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#26565 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:32 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 21 November 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Ugh MSNBC debate..Rachel Maddows. Gotta sit through this drivel to see if Gabbard can do anything. Go Gabbard. Up to now your the only one of those hot air windbags I ll consider.

Gabbard is an extremely low polling candidate who is linked to a right wing Hindu cult, which is why her first name is Tulsi.

What a bizarre pick for "only one you'll consider".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26566 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:33 AM

Gabbard has literally no chance. Thank god.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#26567 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:53 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 21 November 2019 - 02:35 AM, said:

I know she is low polling...

And it’s a damn shame to.

I'll bite. What do you like about Tulsi Gabbard?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26568 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 November 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

Gabbard has literally no chance. Thank god.

She's quite clearly setting up an 'independent' spoiler campaign to try and make sure ol trumpster fire wins by pulling 1-2% in a couple key states, just like Jill Stein tried to do last election.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#26569 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

I swear people like this exist just to make the rest of us feel bad about ourselves.

Therefore because they make me feel bad about myself they should stop and apologise. :p

https://www.news.com...f068bb5c0bfbdc7
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26570 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:38 AM

Those Jeff Foxworthy jokes just write themselves don’t they?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#26571 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

I love your "Redneck Defibrillator" hack.

;)

Do we need to get Maccy or SB around to check your place out?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26572 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

So I have been noticing that recently, after I am home from work, I am totally exhausted. I don't want to talk, I don't want to do anything requiring mental effort.

I have always been an introvert and always needed time to recharge a bit, but i think its been increasing lately

#26573 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:25 PM

Lunchfail. This shepherd's pie sucks.

No seasoning in the bland meat. The mashed potatoes taste of starch and sadness. The smattering of veg taste of mushy despair.

...fuckit... BURGER TIME.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26574 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

No seasoning in the bland meat. The mashed potatoes taste of starch and sadness. The smattering of veg taste of mushy despair.

I got you fam!

Attached File  19571-burgertime-intellivision-front-cover.png.jpeg (214.45K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26575 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:29 PM

Sometimes people apologize to me for being a bad mood or as just happened to me to today for writing short replies in our text conversation. I often get confused because I didn’t know there was a problem until they apologize for it. The replies in question seemed to cover all the points that needed covering and I wasn’t expecting or wanting more.

#26576 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:16 AM

I sold someone an antec hcg850 wat modular power supply. I did copy past a link of the antec hcg850 wat modular power supply with gold 80 rating but the one I sold is the hcg850 wat modular power supply with bronze 80 rating. Wasn’t trying to cheat him. I didn’t even notice the difference. I figured the product code brand and product number were all the same and they were the same and I did sell it for half off. Near as I can tell bronze is 89% efficient and gold is 92%. The guy is angry though and threatening to report me to the the forum I sold it to him on.

I mean fair is fair I did say the wrong thing but I don’t know if this is really a big deal or if he is being opportunistic.

#26577 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

View PostCause, on 05 December 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

I sold someone an antec hcg850 wat modular power supply. I did copy past a link of the antec hcg850 wat modular power supply with gold 80 rating but the one I sold is the hcg850 wat modular power supply with bronze 80 rating. Wasn’t trying to cheat him. I didn’t even notice the difference. I figured the product code brand and product number were all the same and they were the same and I did sell it for half off. Near as I can tell bronze is 89% efficient and gold is 92%. The guy is angry though and threatening to report me to the the forum I sold it to him on.

I mean fair is fair I did say the wrong thing but I don’t know if this is really a big deal or if he is being opportunistic.

Give him a 3% refund.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26578 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 December 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

I got you fam!

Attached File  19571-burgertime-intellivision-front-cover.png.jpeg (214.45K)
Number of downloads: 0

There is an arcade/retro gaming place in my town centre which has this on cab. And I still remember most of the levels.

Hernia spasmed yesterday. Fucking agony.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26579 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:34 AM

I'm sorry, what year is it again? This is just ... wow. :no

https://www.news.com...acd378f8b59f148

Filmmaker slammed over ‘sick’ rant calling for rape to be legalised
A director who went on a “disgusting” rant about legalising rape attacks has been slammed over his “sick” Facebook remarks.

Shireen Khalil@Shireenkalnews.com.au
DECEMBER 6, 201911:39AM
V
Protesters Rage After Four Arrested in Rape and Murder of Woman Near Hyderabad
Angry protesters were pushed back by police outside a station in Shadnagar, in India’s Telangana state, on November 30 after four men were arrested and charged with raping, ki...
A filmmaker has been slammed after he suggested rape victims carry condoms and co-operate during attacks to avoid being murdered.

Indian director Daniel Shravan has taken to Instagram in a bizarre post claiming rape “without violence” should be legalised, while condemning the Indian Government for “frightening rapists”.

“Girls above 18 should be educated on rapes and not deny the sexual desires of men,” he began the post.

“Indian girls should be aware of sex education and carry condoms.

“When the sexual desire is fulfilled men won’t kill. Women and the government are frightening rapists.”

In a repugnant attempt to rationalise rape, the filmmaker went on to claim that legalising “rapes without violence” was the only way to control the brutal killings of rape victims as it would prevent rapists from murdering their victims.

“Rapists are not finding a way to get their bodily sexual desires and are getting these killing thoughts. An evil thought provokes killing,” he wrote.

“Better woman should accept men’s sex.”

Shravan’s outburst promoted outrage among social media users who began a campaign to boycott his films.

He has since deleted the post, but many have taken to Twitter to express their shock over his “sick”, “victim-blaming” tirade, including those from the Indian film industry.

“Whoever this Daniel Shravan is: needs medical help … Infuriating little p**ick,” wrote model, actress and Indian TV host Kubbra Sait.

“What kind of sick mentality does he have? Disgusting and disturbing. I am tired of this misogyny and victim blaming,” said another Twitter user.

Others said how they had “no words” to explain how “disgusted” they were by Shravan’s comments.

“I feel absolutely sick after reading this … It’s pathetic and sick,” one woman said.

The filmmaker’s comments come after four Indian men confessed to the murder and gang-rape of Priyanka Reddy, whose body they set on fire.

The charred remains of the 27-year-old veterinarian were found underneath a bridge in the town of Shadnagar, near Hyderabad, last Thursday.

Her death sparked public protests and demands for swift justice.

The young woman had called her family to say she was stranded with a flat tyre and a truck driver and his friends had offered to help.

Later her family learned she had been gang-raped and murdered, with police arresting the four men who had allegedly stopped to “help”.

A milkman found her body, which was identified based on her jewellery and clothes.

According to the BBC, rape and sexual violence against women have been in focus in India since the December 2012 gang-rape and murder of a young woman on a bus in the capital, Delhi. But there has been no sign that crimes against women are abating.

Indian government figures show 18,862 cases of child sex attacks were registered in 2016 – more than 50 each day.

That amounted to nearly half of the total 40,000 cases of rape of children and adults reported that year, up from 25,000 in 2012.

--------------------------------------

I have no words.

#26580 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

Christ
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic