Malazan Empire: What's messing with your groove? - Malazan Empire

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#30021 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 September 2023 - 12:19 PM

People complaining, and then passively aggressively pulling rank by copying in a bunch of higher grade people to their email, about why my staff didn't tell them that their own staff weren't doing their jobs...
I vehemently dislike office politics, but since I've been promoted a couple of times in the last couple of years I inevitably find myself having to deal with more and more of it. I guess it's one of the reasons why they pay me the slightly larger bucks, but it also sucks.

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#30022 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 September 2023 - 07:55 AM

Wife lost her job. Got pulled up last week on nebulous 'quality issues' and was essentially given about two days at most to rectify them, after which the employer decided to terminate her probation.

Very shitty, but we've done survival mode before. And she's actually more receptive to claiming PIP at last - she's been resistant to the idea because she doesn't require care, but she's entitled to it and it would be a huge help to us just now.

Despite the knockback, she's bearing up well and is back to looking for something today. I feel like this employer was meat grinding new staff - get them in, work them for a bit, then discard before probation ends - so not a bad thing to happen from the standpoint of the employer not being shit.

We will be fine. It's not ideal, but she's not taken this nearly as hard as the first few knockbacks earlier in the year.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30023 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2023 - 02:30 PM

Company meeting in an hour.

We are in a funding round and will either soon run out of money (much sooner than they told me when I asked, when I accepted a job at a this startup) or must secure funding from investors or accept an offer to be bought out by a company I know well (Rumors say the offer is on the table but I cant understand why we have not taken it if so).

Ill find out more today hopefully but I suspect its more of a meeting to announce progress in both avenues rather than to announce outright if either one has succeeded or failed. Only had this job for 6 months, counting September so this really sucks.

#30024 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:43 PM

I searched for my face on https://pimeyes.com and was surprised (and impressed and creeped out) that it actually found results. One was from a conference that I had attended maybe 6 years ago. The rest were from a profile that I had thought was private, but the site on which the profile exists apparently allows all profiles to be publicly viewable and scraped. Eek! I sent their privacy@ email a note to let them know.

Facial recognition tech is really coming along.

#30025 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 September 2023 - 04:01 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 September 2023 - 07:55 AM, said:

Wife lost her job. Got pulled up last week on nebulous 'quality issues' and was essentially given about two days at most to rectify them, after which the employer decided to terminate her probation.

Very shitty, but we've done survival mode before. And she's actually more receptive to claiming PIP at last - she's been resistant to the idea because she doesn't require care, but she's entitled to it and it would be a huge help to us just now.

Despite the knockback, she's bearing up well and is back to looking for something today. I feel like this employer was meat grinding new staff - get them in, work them for a bit, then discard before probation ends - so not a bad thing to happen from the standpoint of the employer not being shit.

We will be fine. It's not ideal, but she's not taken this nearly as hard as the first few knockbacks earlier in the year.

I am in the US, which has different systems that interact with people with disabilities. Does your wife ask for reasonable accommodations at work? Can she have access to a job coach to help her transition into working there more easily?

There would be several things more she could do in the US to make for stronger, longer lasting shots at working this or that job (asking for certain schedules, coordinating with state agencies to find better placements, going on a certain list held by the state for state jobs devoted to people with disabilities etc). Are these available in the UK?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30026 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:49 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 September 2023 - 03:43 PM, said:

I searched for my face on https://pimeyes.com and was surprised (and impressed and creeped out) that it actually found results. One was from a conference that I had attended maybe 6 years ago. The rest were from a profile that I had thought was private, but the site on which the profile exists apparently allows all profiles to be publicly viewable and scraped. Eek! I sent their privacy@ email a note to let them know.

Facial recognition tech is really coming along.

I got 2 pictures of me from a newspaper article and 7 pictures of Chris Evans

#30027 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:57 AM

View Postamphibian, on 25 September 2023 - 04:01 PM, said:

I am in the US, which has different systems that interact with people with disabilities. Does your wife ask for reasonable accommodations at work? Can she have access to a job coach to help her transition into working there more easily?

There would be several things more she could do in the US to make for stronger, longer lasting shots at working this or that job (asking for certain schedules, coordinating with state agencies to find better placements, going on a certain list held by the state for state jobs devoted to people with disabilities etc). Are these available in the UK?

I think the problem here was twofold. One is that the employers were shit, and would probably have found some excuse not to continue probation. The second is that she is quite proud and because she doesn't require care in the same sense as someone like her mum does, she doesn't consider that she has a disability and so didn't disclose to them. It's done now, but hopefully she will learn from this experience.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30028 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:39 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 September 2023 - 06:57 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 25 September 2023 - 04:01 PM, said:

I think the problem here was twofold. One is that the employers were shit, and would probably have found some excuse not to continue probation. The second is that she is quite proud and because she doesn't require care in the same sense as someone like her mum does, she doesn't consider that she has a disability and so didn't disclose to them. It's done now, but hopefully she will learn from this experience.

If nothing else it sounds like she dodged a bullet with those specific employers at least.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30029 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:49 AM

I hope something much better comes along for her Maark - I agree with Tiste, it sounds like the sort of place she wouldn't want to have worked for long term if that's how they treat their staff.

Messing with my groove: I've been very lucky with the patent attorneys I've worked for since starting with my firm, but after a switch around recently I've got a gold plated prick at last. Ego through the roof, talks down to and patronises everyone who's more junior than him, and more generally never stops moaning about how much better everything was at his old firm (toddle off back there then, nobody at all would miss you).

We've clashed a few times so far because his vision of a paralegal assistant is a dogsbody who's there to do everything he asks. That's not the firm's culture or policy on my job role, and he doesn't know how to handle "no", even when delivered politely and professionally with an explanation.

Even when he's making clearly insincere attempts to be "nice" he lasts all of about two minutes before reverting to type. Example. I've just come back from a week and a day's leave, and Mr Not a Blacksmith and I did one of the dinosaur themed sleepovers at the Natural History Museum last weekend. He asked about it and I said you obviously have to go in prepared to not get a lot of sleep but it was totally worth it. Note, that's not a complaint, that's a statement that the pros hugely outweigh the con of a poor night's sleep. Response:

"As a parent I've no sympathy with anyone complaining about lack of sleep."

Firstly, you don't have a monopoly on tired and if you're not interested in the answer, don't ask the question. Secondly, please kindly take your attitude and go step on Lego somewhere else.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 26 September 2023 - 08:54 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#30030 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 September 2023 - 11:00 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 26 September 2023 - 08:49 AM, said:

... please kindly take your attitude and go step on Lego somewhere else.

I quite like that one. I shall shamelessly nick it and use it on those (thankfully rare) occasions where I am forced to be more polite than I would otherwise prefer. :D

Obviously not here though. You %^*%&#^$%(*^(^ heads. ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 September 2023 - 11:01 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#30031 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:57 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 September 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

I quite like that one. I shall shamelessly nick it and use it on those (thankfully rare) occasions where I am forced to be more polite than I would otherwise prefer. :D

Go suck on a Lego.

...did i do that right?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30032 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2023 - 01:57 PM, said:

Go suck on a Lego.

...did i do that right?

Jokes on you, I'm into that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30033 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 September 2023 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2023 - 01:57 PM, said:

Go suck on a Lego.

...did i do that right?

Jokes on you, I'm into that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

All good, this is a judgment free space.

...except for all the judgment.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30034 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:57 PM

Upstairs neighbor flooded my apartment.

At least it’s just the bathroom. Not that that this would ever be great but now especially sucks.

#30035 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:33 PM

View PostCause, on 26 September 2023 - 07:57 PM, said:

Upstairs neighbor flooded my apartment.

At least it's just the bathroom. Not that that this would ever be great but now especially sucks.

Hopefully not with shit... or acidic piss... it would be pretty terrible if acid piss ate through the floor and created a massive chasm (not a realistic fear I'm pretty sure---hopefully...).

#30036 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 September 2023 - 01:20 PM

What the fuck is wrong with some people?

https://www.bbc.com/...d-tyne-66947040
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30037 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 September 2023 - 01:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2023 - 01:20 PM, said:

Quite.

We only got up to see the tree last year, and I was looking forward to walking to it again when we do our walking the Wall holiday we're planning for next year. I just don't understand what would motivate someone to go up there in the dark with all the lighting and equipment that requires (it really is a remote spot) and fell such an iconic and living being that means such a lot to the area.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#30038 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 28 September 2023 - 03:09 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 September 2023 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2023 - 01:20 PM, said:

Quite.

We only got up to see the tree last year, and I was looking forward to walking to it again when we do our walking the Wall holiday we're planning for next year. I just don't understand what would motivate someone to go up there in the dark with all the lighting and equipment that requires (it really is a remote spot) and fell such an iconic and living being that means such a lot to the area.

It's my happy place I normally run along the wall and have a photo of the gap above my fire place. Outraged when I found out couldn't fucking believe it. 16 year old knobhead been arrested over it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#30039 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 September 2023 - 03:47 PM

No doubt if charged it'll be some criminal damage offence, which means they may have to assign some kind of value to it (for sentence if nothing else). How would you even do that for an iconic tree?

BBC News - Sycamore Gap: Boy, 16, arrested after Hadrian's Wall tree felled
https://www.bbc.co.u...d-tyne-66952980
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30040 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 September 2023 - 03:47 PM, said:

No doubt if charged it'll be some criminal damage offence, which means they may have to assign some kind of value to it (for sentence if nothing else). How would you even do that for an iconic tree?

BBC News - Sycamore Gap: Boy, 16, arrested after Hadrian's Wall tree felled
https://www.bbc.co.u...d-tyne-66952980

That kids parents are about to be GRILLED about this and will be on the hook for whatever fine gets set out. If my kid did this I would wonder where I'd gone so wrong in raising them. I realize kids do dumb shit regardless of their parents...but my parents instilled enough decency into me to KNOW when something I might do would harm others, or the community at large.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users