• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#30041 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:43 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 September 2023 - 03:47 PM, said:

No doubt if charged it'll be some criminal damage offence, which means they may have to assign some kind of value to it (for sentence if nothing else). How would you even do that for an iconic tree?

What happens if they input 'infinity'?

If it's based on a percentage > 0 (and also greater than any hyperreal infinitesimal)...

But really it should be more about rehabilitation---with some deterrence. Yet most people would most likely still object to a few good months to a year or two of brainwashing (and testing and monitoring to be sure it's taken hold, and they haven't backtracked)... ah well.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 September 2023 - 05:04 PM

#30042 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 September 2023 - 05:55 PM

Eh it's more about UK law allowing harsher sentences for higher values destruction of property. Anything under £5000 is triable at a Summary Court which has limits on what it can pass as sentence (6 months in prison or a fine of up to an amount I don't remember.)

Over £5000 and it can be tried as an indictable offence meaning I think with this specific offence they can sentence him up to 14 years (I don't think anyone has ever received the full sentence for a criminal damage offence). I suspect that as a 16 year old they will try him summarily and give him a community payback sentence with a fine.

Who knows though it's a big media thing now so people will be out for blood.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30043 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:05 PM

I'd have him specifically work with the team of people to pull the stump, plant a new tree, and then go do more tree planting for a year. No jail, just show up, learn how to be an arborist etc.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30044 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:23 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 September 2023 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'd have him specifically work with the team of people to pull the stump, plant a new tree, and then go do more tree planting for a year. No jail, just show up, learn how to be an arborist etc.

IDK about teaching him more about how to remove trees, or murder them more efficiently... could graduate to mass arboricide.

#30045 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:47 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 September 2023 - 06:23 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 28 September 2023 - 06:05 PM, said:

IDK about teaching him more about how to remove trees, or murder them more efficiently... could graduate to mass arboricide.

If one is too tired to plot after all the tree work, one can't do more damage.

#30046 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:03 PM

He's probably a serial killer (... of trees (at least...)).

#30047 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 September 2023 - 08:45 PM

Value would be well in excess of 5000 anyway if a 300 year old hard wood tree was taken down slabbed and kiln dried so that's an easy one to push.

#30048 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 October 2023 - 04:17 PM

Annoying amount of expenses for the rental condo this year.

Nothing too crazy, but along with some other less-than-expected expenses this year, finances aren't looking great in the next few months.

My birthday is coming up. I haven't done anything for that since the lockdown started. Wanted to try to organize something this year, but between family stuff, war news, and other small life things I've been feeling more unmotivated than usual lately. I suspect the nearly 4 years of continuous stress are starting to catch up with me.

View Postamphibian, on 30 August 2023 - 01:31 AM, said:

How uh good is your proprioception?

Replying late to this, since I kept meaning to look up the meaning of the word, but never had the time:

I definitely have an issue with recognizing when something is occupying the space I will be moving through. Not sure if it's a peripheriral vision issue, or if I just get too single-minded about moving/getting somewhere to pay attention to anything immovable that might be in the way. My mom occasionally chastices me for being too neurotic/high strung whenever I'm doing some chore.

I rationalize it as reduced sense of self-preservation. I'm assuming that getting over this would be an indication of me actually getting more mature with age, at which point I might start feeling "older" and possibly act my age.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 October 2023 - 08:45 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#30049 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 October 2023 - 11:56 PM

Sometimes people have sensory processing that differs a bit from others - it can go into "this is an actual disability" territory or just sorta be a small part of life. It functionally means the little accidents like this could be happening because of a brain filtering thing rather than because unlucky or something you're doing wrong.

A person I know has proprioception issues to the point where she would occasionally walk into things while looking straight at them. She made a few adjustments to how she walks, looks at things, and other coping routines (and doesn't drive) after getting diagnosed plus realizing this was a thing and not her consciously making mistakes.

#30050 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:53 AM

I feel that. People often make the 'hur dur are you a vampire' joke when I try and make my surroundings as dim as possible, but the issue is I have a long term permanent TBI that impacted my ability to cope with natural light (some artificial lights are ok, with notable exceptions being anything like LED headlamps / ceiling lights) and whilst I cope pretty well because I'm used to adjusting for it, it is functionally a disability and does make stuff trickier than it needs to be for me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30051 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 02 October 2023 - 07:53 AM, said:

I feel that. People often make the 'hur dur are you a vampire' joke when I try and make my surroundings as dim as possible, but the issue is I have a long term permanent TBI that impacted my ability to cope with natural light (some artificial lights are ok, with notable exceptions being anything like LED headlamps / ceiling lights) and whilst I cope pretty well because I'm used to adjusting for it, it is functionally a disability and does make stuff trickier than it needs to be for me.

Yeah, I go by "terminator' among my friends due to wearing wraparound shades most of the year, but there's an actual reason for that. Working as a lifeguard outside for 7 summers killed by eyes' light sensitivity, and for many years I've had to wear sunglasses to deal with sunlight, reflected sunlight off snow in the winter, and at one point I couldn't even deal with light reflecting off bright-coloured clothing.

It's been getting better lately, especially this summer when I've spent a lot of time at the beach in a less light-intensive location, outside the city with its big ozone hole and super-high UV.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#30052 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 October 2023 - 04:16 PM

I'm referred to as Agent Smith for similar reasons...

... I don't help myself by wearing sunglasses in the pool and sea.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#30053 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 October 2023 - 04:46 PM

View PostCyphon, on 02 October 2023 - 04:16 PM, said:

I used to wear mirrored sunglasses all the time to hide the fact that I often need to close one eye to avoid having mini-seizure-like symptoms. (I'd try an eye-patch, but the problem is I have to alternate eyes... though it would be pretty funny if I kept switching back and forth. 'Wasn't that just on the other eye?'... Eventually I learned to control it by doing a lot of self-hypnosis, or by taking benzos---the former is time consuming, the latter is addictive and bad for the liver, and I generally no longer care what people may think about it, so these days I don't bother. But I do still wear mirrored sunglasses outside when it's sunny.)

Never got a nickname from it. But a bunch of people told me I looked like a bad-ass. Tried to ameliorate that a bit by using colored lenses. One time I was walking around in Amsterdam and a group of cute girls was staring at me and I heard one of them say 'I'll bet he's a movie star' (that was before I started tripping I'm pretty sure)....

#30054 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:04 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 October 2023 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 02 October 2023 - 04:16 PM, said:

I used to wear mirrored sunglasses all the time to hide the fact that I often need to close one eye to avoid having mini-seizure-like symptoms. (I'd try an eye-patch, but the problem is I have to alternate eyes... though it would be pretty funny if I kept switching back and forth. 'Wasn't that just on the other eye?'... Eventually I learned to control it by doing a lot of self-hypnosis, or by taking benzos---the former is time consuming, the latter is addictive and bad for the liver, and I generally no longer care what people may think about it, so these days I don't bother. But I do still wear mirrored sunglasses outside when it's sunny.)

Never got a nickname from it. But a bunch of people told me I looked like a bad-ass. Tried to ameliorate that a bit by using colored lenses. One time I was walking around in Amsterdam and a group of cute girls was staring at me and I heard one of them say 'I'll bet he's a movie star' (that was before I started tripping I'm pretty sure)....

When you say mini seizure symptoms... If we have to have meetings in the big room at work that last ages, I find my eyes going haywire, some loss of motor control of my neck. Looks like I'm nodding off but it's actually the light causing my brain to malfunction.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30055 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:17 PM

I do not like having staff. The staff themselves are generally fine, most of the time that is, it's all the HR stuff, and other nonsense that can take up a large chunk of the day, that I have to do for them when I'd rather be doing The Actual Work that's a pain in the neck. Arguably, since I'm, partly at least, paid to have staff, one could argue that the HR stuff and other nonsense is part of The Actual Work, but I'm not exactly ecstatic about it.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#30056 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:43 PM

I'd work for you SM!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30057 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:27 PM

The funking weather.

Like just once give us a fucking break, weather men have been promising a dry spell for months.

#30058 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:42 PM

Those damned weathermen and their lies!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30059 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:57 PM

So there was a shooting at the Texas state fair last night. My kids were there and thankfully left 30-45 minutes earlier. I’m so glad they missed seeing that and left before the mass exodus of thousands of people being evacuated. How could this happen? How could someone get a gun in there in the first place? Well, thanks to the gun nuts here, it’s ok to bring a concealed weapon into the fair if you have a permit. This is so disgusting. I hate Texas and Republicans. Nothing will change.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30060 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 October 2023 - 01:40 PM

My otherwise perfectly acceptable breakfast sandwich is so loaded w mayo that the Mayo Clinic and the estate of the late Chairman Mayo have both threatened legal action.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users